Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,056 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

rooney30 wrote: »
    You do realise he made the cut in this event ! He didn’t go out and shoot 78 and 79 in the first two rounds This is not a crisis . A break is the last thing he needs . Just after a break of 3 months during the lockdown . He needs to play his way back into form . Doesn’t play enough tournaments generally in my opinion .

Sure I do, he struggled in on the cut line and continues to struggle, just like he has since the open win.

I disagree, I think he needs a break to try to get back to where he was, it just be demoralising to play crap over an extended period. He might do worse than play some European tour events where there is less pressure and a slightly lower standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

GreeBo wrote: »
    Sure I do, he struggled in on the cut line and continues to struggle, just like he has since the open win.

I disagree, I think he needs a break to try to get back to where he was, it just be demoralising to play crap over an extended period. He might do worse than play some European tour events where there is less pressure and a slightly lower standard.

I dont think that would help him really. Golf isnt like tennis or team sports where the opposition has an effect on how you can play so playing weaker opposition can get your rythm going again. And despite being open champion, its not like hes really a big name in the states so I dont think there really pressure on him from media or even in Ireland. I think if wasnt there, there wouldnt be anyone saying 'where the Open champ, why isnt he teeing up this week?'. If he misses a cut, it doesnt really make any waves. So hes measuring himself against the best, and the lads he wants to be competing with, on super courses. He may as well get it right there as over here is my take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭abff

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Made a cut and might not even get paid

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Shane seems to have the putting yips. Missed another from inside four feet on 2. He’s losing nearly 7 shots to the field on the green this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

tobsey wrote: »
    Shane seems to have the putting yips. Missed another from inside four feet on 2. He’s losing nearly 7 shots to the field on the green this week.

He was 192nd on Tour in putting prior to this week also. Something definitely gone seriously wrong for him in that department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

abff wrote: »
    How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Top 65 paid afaik

Or at least that’s how it was when 70

• Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Trampas

I dont think that would help him really. Golf isnt like tennis or team sports where the opposition has an effect on how you can play so playing weaker opposition can get your rythm going again. And despite being open champion, its not like hes really a big name in the states so I dont think there really pressure on him from media or even in Ireland. I think if wasnt there, there wouldnt be anyone saying 'where the Open champ, why isnt he teeing up this week?'. If he misses a cut, it doesnt really make any waves. So hes measuring himself against the best, and the lads he wants to be competing with, on super courses. He may as well get it right there as over here is my take on it.

But if standard is lower then cut should be lower. Less pressure to make birdies and hit rounds of 60’s to make cut. In general has overall fedex ranking has been poor over the years apart from last year. Pga tour takes no prisoners. Every year there’s pros struggling to keep their card and losing them. Lucky he’s exempt for a considerable amount of time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

He's never produced his best stuff in the US for whatever reason. Maybe he'll get back and try play a few European tour events later in the year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

He's never produced his best stuff in the US for whatever reason. Maybe he'll get back and try play a few European tour events later in the year.

Apart from that time he won a WGC, and the time he led the US Open going into the final round, and his other two top 3 finishes not to mention the 7.8 million he has won or his 19 top 15 finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Apart from that time he won a WGC, and the time he led the US Open going into the final round, and his other two top 3 finishes not to mention the 7.8 million he has won or his 19 top 15 finishes.

19 top 15 finishes is hardly something to be shouting about for a top 50 player in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

fullstop wrote: »
    19 top 15 finishes is hardly something to be shouting about for a top 50 player in the world.

20% of his PGA tour appearances are top 15. He's not the hacker some portray.

7.8 million career earnings isn't huge? McIlroy won twice that in one tournament alone last year.

The WGC was great but he's not really threatened since then. He needs to be more competitive week in week out. He's a major winner, he has savage ability. Putting definitely a major weakness though it's really holding him back.

Still think he produces his best stuff in Europe or on the European tour.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Fred_

He produces his best stuff in Europe? Or he produces the same level of play but the standard is lower and thus he finishes higher?

For those saying he should take a break and go back to Europe - remember he ended up in tears after the Open at Carnoustie the year before he won. He's a streaky player. He has many lower finishes week to week but gets hot from time to time. I would suggest this is normal for him. Just needs to keep plugging away.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

7.8 million career earnings isn't huge? McIlroy won twice that in one tournament alone last year.

The WGC was great but he's not really threatened since then. He needs to be more competitive week in week out. He's a major winner, he has savage ability. Putting definitely a major weakness though it's really holding him back.

Still think he produces his best stuff in Europe or on the European tour.

Since the WGC and off the top of my head he has lead the US Open and at Hilton Head going into the last round.

Being in contention more regularly would be great but his career has followed the same trends all along, average year to 18 months then win then repeat. Mainly why he hasn't played Ryder Cup. His 'down' years have been the main qualifying events.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,056 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Fred_ wrote: »
    He produces his best stuff in Europe? Or he produces the same level of play but the standard is lower and thus he finishes higher?

For those saying he should take a break and go back to Europe - remember he ended up in tears after the Open at Carnoustie the year before he won. He's a streaky player. He has many lower finishes week to week but gets hot from time to time. I would suggest this is normal for him. Just needs to keep plugging away.

I think "streaky" is stretching it though, streaky players (imo) dont struggle when off a streak, they still tip along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭abff

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Top 65 paid afaik

Or at least that’s how it was when 70

Actually, everyone who completes all four rounds gets paid. Last year, when the halfway cut was 70 plus ties, there was a further cut after round 3 if more than 78 players made the halfway cut. This year, it's 65 plus ties, with no third round cut.

While the total prize fund split for the current season is based on prize money down to 65th place, the overall prize fund is increased if more than 65 players make the cut. See the attached for a detailed explanation. https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2020/01/31/how-the-pga-tour-pays-prize-money-when-more-than-65-players-make-the-cut-118120/

Good start on Thursday but nothing since. His bad years when he was bouncing back and forward. Maybe over there is not for him. Good players will have their weeks but week in week out it’s just not his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Fighting final round of 3 under. Good birdie on the last.

Pity as he had a good chance with a lot of the top players giving this one a miss.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Good interview with him on this week's sky sports podcast.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Good interview with him on this week's sky sports podcast.
    Yeah, seen that it was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

+1 after 2, let's hope it is not another of those over par first rounds.

+1 after 2, let's hope it is not another of those over par first rounds.

And so it proved. Followed him on the box as he was in one of the two marquee groups, seems to be going through the motions with short game in slight disarray. Hopefully he can lift himself and make the weekend. Clarke "celebrated" his Open win for years, Shane needs to focus and avoid complacency trap.

I see Steve Lowry (if you listened to golf channel that was his name) was out with Mickelson today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

And so it proved. Followed him on the box as he was in one of the two marquee groups, seems to be going through the motions with short game in slight disarray. Hopefully he can lift himself and make the weekend. Clarke "celebrated" his Open win for years, Shane needs to focus and avoid complacency trap.

I think its more thats as good as he is to be honest and that the idea of him still celebtrating or not focusing isnt really the thing. Hes just not good enough all round to be right up there week in week out like the top lads. Hes a 50-100 world ranking golfer I reckon really. So the Open was totally deserved and really fantastic for him and Irish golf and we all loved it being played here and all, he has to be classed in the group of weak major winners like he only been in the mix for one other and he folded badly there. Theres others that win one like him mainly Americans because there so many of them and some can always have the dream for days and fair dos to them when it comes off like that. But we forget a lot of those Americans who dont do much else. Still great to have a major in the bag for him and it was a great thrill watching him which I was there for one day.

Might be a long afternoon ahead to see if he’s in the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Another missed cut, probably very lucky the Ryder Cup has been moved if he wants to have any chance of making it.

I see Steve Lowry (if you listened to golf channel that was his name) was out with Mickelson today.

Really, that's a complete insult.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭badabing106

I think its more thats as good as he is to be honest and that the idea of him still celebtrating or not focusing isnt really the thing. Hes just not good enough all round to be right up there week in week out like the top lads. Hes a 50-100 world ranking golfer I reckon really. So the Open was totally deserved and really fantastic for him and Irish golf and we all loved it being played here and all, he has to be classed in the group of weak major winners like he only been in the mix for one other and he folded badly there. Theres others that win one like him mainly Americans because there so many of them and some can always have the dream for days and fair dos to them when it comes off like that. But we forget a lot of those Americans who dont do much else. Still great to have a major in the bag for him and it was a great thrill watching him which I was there for one day.

This guy had 3 shot leads going into multiple majors, and won one of them. He's not you average 50-100 ranking player because they don't do that:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Very disappointing that he didn't make the +3 cut, hope he is not drifting back to where he was in 2018.He needs a win or at least top ten finishes.

Advertisement