Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

If you're up early enough it's live on Free Sports which is Free to air

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭abff

poteen wrote: »
    It's not a European Tour sanctioned event. Think its Asian tour.

Originally, it was scheduled to be a co-sanctioned event. It appears that this is no longer the case because of the rescheduling, although some websites are still referring to it as co-sanctioned. I imagine there would be a link to it on the European Tour website if it was co-sanctioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Currently outright second on 13 under par for Shane after a final round of 6 under 64. Wade Ormsby is 3 ahead though with 2 holes to play for the Australian, who won the Hong Kong Open a few years ago.

A good weeks work though for Lowry, who now moves on to Abu Dhabi to defend his title, that he won in such dramatic style 12 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Great result....finished 2nd https://www.flashscore.com/golf/asian-tour/hong-kong-open/
    This was to be a co-sanctioned event with the European tour, which would have been even nicer with lots of RTDB points, but in the end it seems the European tour pulled out. I wonder how much Lowry earned for his trip to Hong Kong but well done him regardless... nice few $$$'s in his back pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

My impression is that he was "pushed" into the event as it is Ryder cup year. If things don't go well for him and a wildcard is on offer, then playing in Hong Kong, might be his ticket to whistling straights.

Finishing 2nd is a good start to getting automatic qualification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

My impression is that he was "pushed" into the event as it is Ryder cup year. If things don't go well for him and a wildcard is on offer, then playing in Hong Kong, might be his ticket to whistling straights.

Who would push him? Only points he'd get be for the world ranking side of things as with 20 as 1st place he would have earned more in South Africa. He got a decent cheque for playing that's why he was there

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Hong Kong Open will be long forgotten when picks are being made. Players playing well in August/September will be at the forefront.

If Shane plays well he’s in, if he is not playing well, as he has said himself, it’s unlikely he will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

Good start to the season doe and good for the confidence!

Sadly Shane had bogeys at 17 and 18, in the second round of Abu Dhabi Golf Championship, to miss the cut by one. No weekend golf for the defending Abu Dhabi champion unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Four to get down from a green side bunker to take 6 at the last and miss by one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

amlinopta wrote: »
    Four to get down from a green side bunker to take 6 at the last and miss by one

Ha I turned it off when I saw him hit the bunker. I was thinking ah he must get up and down in 3 from there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Weekend off and Dubai next week

Played well last week so it is there

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Dubai followed by Saudi Arabia the week after and a nice appearance fee no doubt, four in a row to start the year but will be raging at missing the cut as defending champion in that fashion in a Rolex event

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

My point been, with sucha dfull calendar. A missed cut might not be so catastrophic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Needs to get the foot down if he wants to play Ryder cup.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭OEP

Shane could have made a point by not playing in SA, he doesn't need to play there

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/shane-lowry-agreeing-to-play-in-saudi-arabia-is-an-unfortunate-choice-1.4144655

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

OEP wrote: »
    Shane could have made a point by not playing in SA, he doesn't need to play there

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/shane-lowry-agreeing-to-play-in-saudi-arabia-is-an-unfortunate-choice-1.4144655

That's a terribly one side and presumptious article that really has feck all to do with Golf or Lowry. The journalist is on one hand accusing the Saudi's of using sportsmen as pawns and then he essientially does the same thing as there is feck all about Golf in that article.

What's one sided and presumptuous about it? They are using the golfers as pawns as an attempt to clean their image, and the golfers are more than happy to take their money

Irish Times going on Saudi Arabia and pro golfers "morals". All of those elite golfers, have no interest in the "geo-political world tensions". Try lecturing Patrick Reed, Brooks Koepka, Bryson de Chambeau about the Middle East then. They'll give you the ultimate 2 fingers, at the very least. These over-pampered, mollycoddled sportsmen, are so out of touch with the realities of the world. It's a fact.

If you mention Saudi Arabia, then what about China, Turkey and other Middle East countries that have dubious human-rights issues. Why are we exclusively mentioning Saudi Arabia. Not defending the Saudi regime, but there are golf tournaments all over the world where pro golf should not be played, if you go by what that IT journalist lecturing pros to do or not to do, and that includes third-tier satellite tours with Egypt, for example, where the Pro golf tour and the Alps Golf Tour have their opening schedule of events based there.

Re Shane Lowry, if he wins the Saudi event, which gets him into the Ryder Cup team, then this "should he, shouldn't he" play, will all be forgotten about very quickly indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Skimmed the article yesterday and thought it was very poorly written, flip-flopping even mid sentence between conflicting points that Shane should or could have made a statement on saudi same as mcilroy, but why should he as he's in it for himself, but he still could have, but doesn't have to, and he can't not have a quibble with anyone who doesn't think less of him for not doing so.

There's obviously a single point (one of the top irish going the other is not) and he tried to pad it out to make a full article.

With his constant position in the spotlight and with a house and life in Dubai, Mcilroy is closer to the relations between UAE & Saudi (& probably politics of the war in Yemen) then the other players. Still applaud him for making a decision.

• Advertisement

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Skimmed the article yesterday and thought it was very poorly written, flip-flopping even mid sentence between conflicting points that Shane should or could have made a statement on saudi same as mcilroy, but why should he as he's in it for himself, but he still could have, but doesn't have to, and he can't not have a quibble with anyone who doesn't think less of him for not doing so.

There's obviously a single point (one of the top irish going the other is not) and he tried to pad it out to make a full article.

With his constant position in the spotlight and with a house and life in Dubai, Mcilroy is closer to the relations between UAE & Saudi (& probably politics of the war in Yemen) then the other players. Still applaud him for making a decision.

McIlroy lives in Florida. He doesn't have a 'life' in Dubai as you call it.

I couldn't blame Lowry for turning up as i'd do the exact same. Getting a wad of cash for a few days of golf in the sun regardless of whether he plays well or not. It's a no brainer. If he doesnt' turn up someone else will. Mixing politics and sport is never a good thing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I couldn't blame Lowry for turning up as i'd do the exact same. Getting a wad of cash for a few days of golf in the sun regardless of whether he plays well or not. It's a no brainer. If he doesnt' turn up someone else will. Mixing politics and sport is never a good thing.

Exactly, that's what I meant by presumptous, the write is assuming that Lowry made some concious, moral decision to play or not to play. He plays over 40 tournaments a year, I'm sure he doesnt analyse the events from a political or moral perspective, he just plays Golf! The way the article is written you would be forgiven for thinking that Lowry was playing a two ball with the Salma of Saudi himself.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Exactly, that's what I meant by presumptous, the write is assuming that Lowry made some concious, moral decision to play or not to play. He plays over 40 tournaments a year, I'm sure he doesnt analyse the events from a political or moral perspective, he just plays Golf! The way the article is written you would be forgiven for thinking that Lowry was playing a two ball with the Salma of Saudi himself.

He's well aware of what Saudi Arabia represents, and he hardly needs the money. He could just not play and say no more, that would be enough of a statement without getting into any politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Irish Times going on Saudi Arabia and pro golfers "morals". All of those elite golfers, have no interest in the "geo-political world tensions". Try lecturing Patrick Reed, Brooks Koepka, Bryson de Chambeau about the Middle East then. They'll give you the ultimate 2 fingers, at the very least. These over-pampered, mollycoddled sportsmen, are so out of touch with the realities of the world. It's a fact.

If you mention Saudi Arabia, then what about China, Turkey and other Middle East countries that have dubious human-rights issues. Why are we exclusively mentioning Saudi Arabia. Not defending the Saudi regime, but there are golf tournaments all over the world where pro golf should not be played, if you go by what that IT journalist lecturing pros to do or not to do, and that includes third-tier satellite tours with Egypt, for example, where the Pro golf tour and the Alps Golf Tour have their opening schedule of events based there.

Re Shane Lowry, if he wins the Saudi event, which gets him into the Ryder Cup team, then this "should he, shouldn't he" play, will all be forgotten about very quickly indeed.

Great point very well made

He's well aware of what Saudi Arabia represents, and he hardly needs the money. He could just not play and say no more, that would be enough of a statement without getting into any politics.

But that would be a political statement, or is there something inherently wrong with Saudi golf courses?

Pogue eile wrote: »
    But that would be a political statement, or is there something inherently wrong with Saudi golf courses?

There are plenty of European Tour events that he doesn't play in, are they also political statements? He didn't play in Saudi last year

There are plenty of European Tour events that he doesn't play in, are they also political statements? He didn't play in Saudi last year

A bit like the Journalist, obviously nothing of interest in the GAA world at the minute, you are looking for a story that isn't there plain and simple.

''Golfer plays Golf Tournament'' shocker!!

Really poor start when he needed to hit the ground running.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

Needs to get the foot down if he wants to play Ryder cup.

Had a quick look on one of the sites and he seems to be 35th in the standings for Ryder Cup selection. Players like Jordan Smith and Ross Fisher are ahead of him. Surely the majors are weighted.

When did the points race start?
    How is that right after the last 13 months he has had?

Even ignoring the two wins he has had a few top tens and was even top 15 at the weekend just passed.

Advertisement