Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Or gain 35 pounds in the case of Brooks ;)

Sounds like Shane needs to gain 15 pounds so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Struggling again in the first round this week,+2 after thirteen,nine shots behind leader Ian Poulter.
    Hopefully he can get under par over the final five holes.
    Finished on three over,ten shots behind leader.
    Shane needs to do something about his game which has been very poor since he won the Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just not at the races unfortunately, hasn't been for a while. Needs a big round tomorrow just to play the weekend.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Ripped his gtr up to belfast a few years back. Clocked 302kph.
    Shane if youre reading this im not sorry!
    #cowboyservice

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Just plenty of rust to come off.

I presume he has a small chance of making Ryder Cup unless he comes close to winning on pga tour with him skipping european events this year. Have to assume the likes of Rose, Casey etc will pick up points over next couple of months to make the team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

SeeMoreBut wrote: »

I presume he has a small chance of making Ryder Cup unless he comes close to winning on pga tour with him skipping european events this year. Have to assume the likes of Rose, Casey etc will pick up points over next couple of months to make the team

There has to be more than the 3 picks with lack of events but he needs a few decent finishes to be in the reckoning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Rose is not in a good place at the minute, changing everything, he could go to pot

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ryder Cup need clinch putters.......Shane is streets away from this, if he qualifies let it be on ability/merit/automatically, hate for a few days bad putting to kill himself/Paddy/The Team/us

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

slave1 wrote: »
    Ryder Cup need clinch putters.......Shane is streets away from this, if he qualifies let it be on ability/merit/automatically, hate for a few days bad putting to kill himself/Paddy/The Team/us

Absolutely slave1. Shane is just plain and simple a very poor putter. He lost over 5 strokes to the field on the greens last week in Colonial for example.

There's an element of carelessness I feel at times with Shane. His wedge game from 100 to 140 yards in is very poor, from accuracy to missing the green
    even. None of the top players do those things.

He tends to have the dreaded snap hook with his driver at times too. His long iron play are his best weapon, probably the best part of his game.

I really hope that Shane can iron out those deficiencies in his game as they are derailing his golf game and this resulting in poor scores. If not then I cannot see Paddy picking Shane as a Ryder cup wildcard pick especially a rookie if doesn't qualify for the team by right.

But to me the putting is the biggest issue holding back the Open champion. Get that sorted and it won't be long before Shane is playing good golf again and competing for tournaments at the right end of the leaderboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Why though?
    Why is he so rusty? Sure he may not have his competitive game on, but this appears to be more than that.

• Advertisement

Just not at the races unfortunately, hasn't been for a while. Needs a big round tomorrow just to play the weekend.

Flying start this morning should be good enough to keep him around for the weekend.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Flying start this morning should be good enough to keep him around for the weekend.

He’s still outside the cut line, and with most of the field still to play. Would say he needs to get to -3 at least.

Going well so far today,hope he makes the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Cut already gone to - 3

fullstop wrote: »
    He’s still outside the cut line, and with most of the field still to play. Would say he needs to get to -3 at least.

Yeah needs a few more, struggling to pick up anything on the back 9

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Just didn't kick on for the second 9 looks like another missed cut.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Great to see Shane on -4 after his first round of the Travellers Championship today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Great to see Shane on -4 after his first round of the Travellers Championship today.

He really needs to make the cut after his last two appearances. He was playing catch up both times after the first round. He nearly managed it last week so hopefully he’ll kick on from here and have a decent finish.

Good day 1 has turned into an also ran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Made a cut and might not even get paid

• Advertisement

Hasn't been at the races for a while now.
    Wouldn't be the first player to struggle after winning a major.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Trampas

Hasn't been at the races for a while now.
    Wouldn't be the first player to struggle after winning a major.

Reach the summit and hard to kick on. As you say many have had slumps. Some come back and some don’t.

He won’t be the last either.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

He should just take a break until he feels the hunger again, struggling for months isn't going to do much for him mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I think people expect too much of Shane after his Open win last year. In the 2 or 3 years prior to that win he was very erratic and good weeks were rare, he seems to have simply reverted to that again post Open win.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

GreeBo wrote: »
    He should just take a break until he feels the hunger again, struggling for months isn't going to do much for him mentally.

You do realise he made the cut in this event ! He didn’t go out and shoot 78 and 79 in the first two rounds This is not a crisis . A break is the last thing he needs . Just after a break of 3 months during the lockdown . He needs to play his way back into form . Doesn’t play enough tournaments generally in my opinion .

pga tour isn't a place to find form and more so now as standard is very high. Seems like next week will have a lower standard but he's out. I guess everyone is resting up for Jack's place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Absolutely slave1. Shane is just plain and simple a very poor putter. He lost over 5 strokes to the field on the greens last week in Colonial for example.

There's an element of carelessness I feel at times with Shane. His wedge game from 100 to 140 yards in is very poor, from accuracy to missing the green
    even. None of the top players do those things.

He tends to have the dreaded snap hook with his driver at times too. His long iron play are his best weapon, probably the best part of his game.

A very poor putter. Wedge game is very poor. Snap hooks his driver. An element of carelessness in his game.
    Looks like he will struggle to make the Pierce Purcell team this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

pga tour isn't a place to find form and more so now as standard is very high. Seems like next week will have a lower standard but he's out. I guess everyone is resting up for Jack's place

Its as good as anywhere else. Its not that you find form anyway. Form is only an after the fact spin on the fact that you played well. He is of a lever where he should be able to live with those lads, not playing an easier league at this stage to make himself feel good - it probably wouldnt anywau and he would know he was only kidding himself. There a fair bit of not great Americans playing in those tournaments at the moment, and he is above them. Still It does have a certain playing to the stereotype for Americans too, win the open, go on the razz for a few weeks in Offaly and not give a crap. Cut out the fitness regime and stuff. Then go off the boil. Maybe lacks some of the real career and winning focus like McIlroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

A very poor putter. Wedge game is very poor. Snap hooks his driver. An element of carelessness in his game.
    Looks like he will struggle to make the Pierce Purcell team this year.

There are actually lads around here who will take this post at face value and won’t see the sarcasm in it . Sad to say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

rooney30 wrote: »
    There are actually lads around here who will take this post at face value and won’t see the sarcasm in it . Sad to say

Exactly, I'd retire if I'd the claret jug on my sideboard..You can win all the PGA tour, European tour events (like Monty) but you are judged on Majors..Go on Shane.

Advertisement