Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

eagle eye wrote: »
    You are setting a very low bar for man with his talent. I'd be hoping he wins a lot more majors.

A lot more?

I’d be hoping he does as well but realistically it won’t happen. He is only 3 behind Rory!!

Majors very difficult to win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

eagle eye wrote: »
    You are setting a very low bar for man with his talent. I'd be hoping he wins a lot more majors.

That would be great, and I still think a US Open is his best chance but only 47 golfers in the entire history of the game have won more that one major.
    Winning one is tough, 176 players have won a single major, winning more that one is much tougher

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭dball

slightly off topic but is there an increase in single majr wins in the past (say 10 years) compared to previous years,

There just seems to me more and more NEW 1st time winners in the last few years.
    Is this because TW stopped winning - I think i've answered my own question:pac::pac::pac:
    I guess its impossible to judge with the TW dominance of the previous decade.:rolleyes::):eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

dball wrote: »
    slightly off topic but is there an increase in single majr wins in the past (say 10 years) compared to previous years,

There just seems to me more and more NEW 1st time winners in the last few years.
    Is this because TW stopped winning - I think i've answered my own question:pac::pac::pac:
    I guess its impossible to judge with the TW dominance of the previous decade.:rolleyes::):eek:

Tiger is the reason, or should I say no Tiger

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,124 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

slave1 wrote: »
    That would be great, and I still think a US Open is his best chance but only 47 golfers in the entire history of the game have won more that one major.
    Winning one is tough, 176 players have won a single major, winning more that one is much tougher
    It's actually 82. 46 have won more than two. You were probably looking at ranking, where those who've won two are ranked equal 47th. But to continue your point, only one in three who've won one major, go on to win two or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

dball wrote: »

I think its 49 first time major winners since Tiger's first in 97. Something like 42 in the same timeframe before Tiger's first.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Standard is closer now where more players have a better chance of winning

• Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Edit - scrap that, complete wrong player.

I think its 49 first time major winners since Tiger's first in 97. Something like 42 in the same timeframe before Tiger's first.

Also, in those 22 years pre-Woods, you had Tom Watson, Seve and Faldo who had 19 between them.

The 'big 3', aside from Tiger, post 1997 are Mickelson, Rory and Koepka who have 13 between them.

Not sure if I intended there to be a point in there but it was just interesting looking back through the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The scourge of the first round has struck again in Dubai,one over par,ten shots behind Lorenzo-Vera,nine behind McIlroy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭dball

total clickbait:

Quick start this morning, -3 for the day

Mushy wrote: »
    Quick start this morning, -3 for the day

-5 for 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Finished with a 68 - tied 14th at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭castor 1

Had a good weekend, finishing T12 and 4th in overall Ranking, with a nice bonus too for his efforts.

He also remains at 19 in the World rankings.

I'm sure he will be delighted with his year overall and 2020 is looking good for Shane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Looks to me like the Shane is the pick of the sportsperson of the year panel. Realistically, Rory is the outstanding sportsperson from Ireland this year. And he hasn't been shortlisted. That's because it's a public vote and if they were both options they'd split the golf vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭bren2001

blue note wrote: »
    Looks to me like the Shane is the pick of the sportsperson of the year panel. Realistically, Rory is the outstanding sportsperson from Ireland this year. And he hasn't been shortlisted. That's because it's a public vote and if they were both options they'd split the golf vote.

Hard to see Cluxton not winning it myself. I'd be shocked if it wasn't either of these two.

Katie Taylor or Lowry I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think it's gotta be Shane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Didn't watch this til now. Well deserved for Shane. Hope he kicks on and gets another Major or two for himself.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2019/1214/1099169-shane-lowry-is-rte-sportsperson-of-the-year-2019/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭OEP

Is Shane playing in Saudi Arabia?

OEP wrote: »
    Is Shane playing in Saudi Arabia?

No. Abu Dhabi & Dubai and then over to the states for a while.

Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship. 17th-20th January.
    Omega Desert Classic. 24th-27th January.
    AT&T Pebble Beach Pro Am. 7th-10th February.
    WGC Mexico Championship. 21st-24th February.
    Arnold Palmer Invitational. 7th-10th March.
    The Players Championship. 14th-17th March.
    WGC Dell Matchplay. 27th-31st March.
    The Masters. 11th-14th April.

His website says no but all journalists say he is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Exactly wrote: »

I think that was the 2019 schedule.

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    I think that was the 2019 schedule.

It is.

Remind me wrote: »
    It is.

Apologies. His website hasn't been updated :rolleyes:

Apologies. His website hasn't been updated :rolleyes:

Yeap.

Think I read/heard an interview where he is playing 3 weeks in Middle East then WGC Mexico and maybe the Honda the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭OEP

He's not getting any stick for playing in Saudi Arabia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Trampas

OEP wrote: »
    He's not getting any stick for playing in Saudi Arabia

He doesn’t like to get involved with politics.

New country and course to play

😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Trampas wrote: »
    He doesn’t like to get involved with politics.

New country and course to play

😉

Plenty of other countries and courses to play in. Part of their propaganda machine now. Disappointed he didn’t take a stance similar to Rory’s.

Advertisement