Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

This guy has become my favourite player in recent times, really put that stigma of him being a one hit wonder well back down the naysayers throats. Constantly improving week on week and a top 5 is well withing reach tomorrow. Nice to have an Irish player with a likeability factor for a change! C'mon Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

<Mod edit>

No betting posts please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

mr.jingle wrote: »
    This guy has become my favourite player in recent times, really put that stigma of him being a one hit wonder well back down the naysayers throats. Constantly improving week on week and a top 5 is well withing reach tomorrow. Nice to have an Irish player with a likeability factor for a change! C'mon Shane

That's harsh. I'm not sure what's unlikable about Harrington, McDowell and McIlroy.

That's harsh. I'm not sure what's unlikable about Harrington, McDowell and McIlroy.

Not knocking any of their achievements, wonderful golfers all of them and maybe its just a personal opinion because I never took to the other 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Out with Jordan speith today. Hopefully Some Coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭stitcheddepin

The lad is a top class golfer. Hope he goes well 2nite. I won't be watching, last nites coverage nearly ended with a broken tv it was so bad. Similar last week, the us golf tv is atrocious

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The lad is a top class golfer. Hope he goes well 2nite. I won't be watching, last nites coverage nearly ended with a broken tv it was so bad. Similar last week, the us golf tv is atrocious

Pebble Beach marks a new low in tv coverage every year. Only thing is the Sunday is usually a bit better, with most of the soap stars, comedians and captains of industry off the scene.

But last night was excruciatingly awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

First Up wrote: »
    Pebble Beach marks a new low in tv coverage every year. Only thing is the Sunday is usually a bit better, with most of the soap stars, comedians and captains of industry off the scene.

But last night was excruciatingly awful.

I actually turned off last night, it was so awful. Last day is usually respectable, so really looking forward to tonight.

vienne86 wrote: »
    I actually turned off last night, it was so awful. Last day is usually respectable, so really looking forward to tonight.

Playing witb Speith should help but Lowry will need to get into contention if we are to see much of him. Furyk will get the lion's share but coverage starts at 6 so if he starts well...

It will be interesting to see how he shapes up against Speith who is one of the real rising stars.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Unless he's contending I doubt we'll see anything, brutal coverage from CBS

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Didn't even bother watching last night after the terrible coverage from Friday, just had the pga app open and was glued to that. Hope for a bit better tonight but not expecting much from the Americans again. Hopefully a bit of coverage on Shane aswell .

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

I don't know why they insist on sticking a camera into Bill Murray's face every chance they get. Every year they do the same. It's not like he's won multiple oscars. Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

maudgone wrote: »
    I don't why they insist on sticking a camera into Bill Murray's face every chance they get. Every year they do the same. It's not like he's won multiple oscars. Rant over.

It's like Groundhog Day

I don't why they insist on sticking a camera into Bill Murray's face every chance they get. Every year they do the same. It's not like he's won multiple oscars. Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

I agree with you about Shane being very likeable. There's something very natural and down to earth about him.

But how can you argue that Padraig Harrington is not likeable? He has his own way of doing things and he definitely marches to a different drummer, but he has done so much for the sport and has spent so much of his time helping others, that I can't understand why anyone (leastways any Irish golf fan) could be anything other than a huge fan of Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

heavyballs wrote: »
    more chance of Ronan Rafferty coming back and winning a major imo,i said it at the time here that he was too hasty to turn pro and i beleive this has been proved.It took him 3 or 4 months before he started to do any proper physical training and it was stated in the media(could well be bs)that he was doing very little practice compared to the other pro's.
    He'll be running a pro shop in 5 years imo

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Classic!

*Post from 2009*

abff wrote: »
    I agree with you about Shane being very likeable. There's something very natural and down to earth about him.

But how can you argue that Padraig Harrington is not likeable? He has his own way of doing things and he definitely marches to a different drummer, but he has done so much for the sport and has spent so much of his time helping others, that I can't understand why anyone (leastways any Irish golf fan) could be anything other than a huge fan of Padraig.

People in the world of golf say Padraig is probably the nicest, most humble man they have ever met and I can't for the life of me think of one solitary reason why someone couldn't like him. He is such a fantastic role model for young Irish golfers, as is Shane, who lives every day as if it's his last in my opinion, he appreciates where he is in life.

That's a crazy tight leaderboard, if he drops one shot he goes from 9 to 21, a shot here and there will have huge impact on final standings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Really wish we could see the 2nd shot Shane has just played into the par 5 2nd. 13ft eagle putt coming up.

Just a birdie on the 2nd. Currently tied 8th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

As expected... showing Spieth's shots and annoyingly you can see Lowry in the background but none of his shots.

HighLine wrote: »
    As expected... showing Spieth's shots and annoyingly you can see Lowry in the background but none of his shots.

Is the very same for the British Open though, show Westwood, Poulter, McIlroy and all the familiar european players and none of the yanks.. Golf Channel coverage, so they are going to show the Yanks unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    Is the very same for the British Open though, show Westwood, Poulter, McIlroy and all the familiar european players and none of the yanks.. Golf Channel coverage, so they are going to show the Yanks unfortunately.
    Shane will have to do something dramatic to get on camera it seems.

HighLine wrote: »

He'll need to get to at least -15 to be noticed but if has his usual strong last round and has 69 or thereabouts he will have an excellent week, even if invisible.

They are showing plenty of Marcel Siem mind.. and he is only 1 ahead of Lowry.

abff wrote: »

As I said its just a personal opinion. McDowell and McIlroy i've never warmed to could well just be the age old Irish thing of not liking someone who is good at something and jealousy stems from that and you start disliking them! The Americanisation of them is annoying. Sad yes, but I don't know why I really dislike them.

My gripe with Harrington probably just stems from the last few years of watching his game diminish trying to fix something that wasn't broken when it didn't need fixing. Its just frustration moreso than dislike of Harrington.

Now with Lowry it's a different feeling maybe because he is a similar age as me and he's come through the same time as my liking of the game of golf has grown and have watched a lot more than I used to.

Just my feelings on the matter, i'm sure some people will disagree with it but it's just my take on it.

Showing Spieth and no Lowry, not sure why its annoying as it was expected!

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    They are showing plenty of Marcel Siem mind.. and he is only 1 ahead of Lowry.

True but he is a lot better known. Looking at the conditions, a 67 might be required to keep pace.

Showing Spieth and no Lowry, not sure why its annoying as it was expected!

Just because it was expected doesn't stop it from being annoying!

First Up wrote: »
    True but he is a lot better known. Looking at the conditions, a 67 might be required to keep pace.

A lot better known for the moment ;)

Think you won't be far off with the scoring, I was in a way hoping it was a little windier today but it looks perfect once again. 67 wouldn't even guarantee a top 10 i'd say such is the weather and the scoring chances out their

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

vienne86 wrote: »
    Shane will have to do something dramatic to get on camera it seems.

Play 50 shades of grey style???

Advertisement