Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to the Raid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

ROK ON wrote: »
    The highest point on the road from Barnaculla ti Glencullen is 325m circa. However Foxes is at the bottom of that hill and is IIRC circa 285m.

Either way, isn't that a pathetically low number? Curse this flat little island.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,448 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

niceonetom wrote: »
    Curse this flat little island.
    In my experience there are more than enough hillocks in Ireland:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Managed to get 2h20m in this morning before work. Left home at 5.50 and headed out to Cruagh and up to Kilakee then on a bit to Tibraden and up Blackglen Road.
    47km in total. Creating the lookout andthen Kilakee was absolutely stunning this morning.

My wife is having a well deserved weekend away with friends this weekend. So as I will mind our three crazy kids I won't get out. So to make up I am hoping to head out for around 5hours in Wicklow on Thursday.
    Given that most of my climbing recently has been managed to stay at 160-175HR I am contemplating pushing the boat out and try gunning it on a climb. That is try to push had and get anaerobic and see how long I can stay there. Maybe Kippure?

Anyway while more weight needs to come off I feel that I am making some progress.

Just under 100km today in 4h20m. Took in Cruagh Kilakee and Kippure before descending down toKilbride for home.
    GodIHTH was great company and was flying on the hills.
    This bloke passed us on Cruagh and she bridged the gap to glue herself to his wheel as he climbed up.
    I just watched the gap grow as I was determined to stay below 170bpm.

It was great to get up Kippure as it is only the 4th time up there and the first time without stopping. Painful but worth it. 19 mins which can be bettered as while I was flat out on the last leg up I took the first KM really handy.

First time out on the new bike. I love it. I do not believe that it is as light as claimed weight of 7,5kg but it handles very well, seems super stiff. It descends and corners incredibly fast compared to other bikes I have been on.

A small few peak strokes on the descent really seems as if it opens up some speed.
    Happy with this week.
    200km plus a lot of climbing. Also happy to do Kippure and Mullaghanish close together.
    Slow climbing but getting there.

I am hoping to get out for an hour tomorrow to strech the legs as they are sore now. Ret of some saddle slippage as well as effort.
    No other cycling this weekend as I have ti mind the terrible twins.
    By rights next week should be a rest week but as I am in London the following week it makes sense to punish myself some more next week. So the aim is two 150km rules on Paddy day and the day after. Fir me that will be a very big ask. But looking forward to it.

My secret goal is to keep attracting readers to this thread in order to beat DV who is close and keep a gap over Beasty. Lumen will not be railed in at this stage it is a sprint for second place.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/21687

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

You need to start a sub-discussion on wheels or helmets or the like.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    You need to start a sub-discussion on wheels or helmets or the like.

I think my chosem topic will be leg shaving. I have alway had good legs but now the shape and definition is absolutely stunning. If it keeps up I will shave once I get a tan (naturally or from a bottle). I have shaved pasty white legs.
    My legs are slowly developing a Tom Boonen look. Particularly in the thighs. He is my leg hero.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

My new leg hero is Andre Greipel. I want those suckers.

4ctl.jpg

I think he is the incredible hulk... in yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I have alway had good legs but now the shape and definition is absolutely stunning.
    TPIWWOP

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

fkjhuhfueeverujhn. Sorry, I think I nodded off on the keyboard.....

ROK_ON, I think I'd be right in saying we're at a pretty similar level at the moment? I had nothing left by the time I got home today and I'm shattered now. Thanks for the excellent company. I'm looking forward to doing Kippure again in a month or 6 weeks to measure my progress.

• Advertisement

If it keeps up I will shave once I get a tan (naturally or from a bottle)

If you're hitting the bottle use San Tropez. It's not a time to skimp.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,448 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My secret goal is to keep attracting readers to this thread in order to beat DV who is close and keep a gap over Beasty. Lumen will not be railed in at this stage si it is a sprint for second place.

You young whippersnappers shoot off at the front, treating it as a sprint, rather than an endurance event - I have a few tricks up my sleeve yet, but don't intend deploying them until later in the year:)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

My secret goal is to keep attracting readers to this thread in order to beat DV who is close and keep a gap over Beasty. Lumen will not be railed in at this stage si it is a sprint for second place.

Dirk's secret is that he keeps on writing about the ladyeez he encounters at the gym.

.....and if you decide not to go down the gym-chicks route a few pics of your new steed might up the hits. It is hawt.

.....and if you decide not to go down the gym-chicks route a few pics of your new steed might up the hits. It is hawt.

My camera phone is busted. I might take one with the missus camera if I figure out how to upload it.

I took a leaf out of Dirks book this morning and paid a visit to the local gym and pool.
    4 laps of the pool, 20 mins steam room and 20 mins sauna plus many cold showers in between for refreshing.
    Unlike Dirks gym there were no laydeez however there were many ladies. The 30 year age differential between the latter and the former is not that appealing to me.
    Anyway, was worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I took a leaf out of Dirks book this morning and paid a visit to the local gym and pool.
    4 laps of the pool, 20 mins steam room and 20 mins sauna plus many cold showers in between for refreshing.
    Unlike Dirks gym there were no laydeez however there were many ladies. The 30 year age differential between the latter and the former is not that appealing to me.
    Anyway, was worth a try.

Stop making me laugh, I'm trying to eat. I also had a dry spell yesterday, all old dudes at the gym. Sauna, jacuzzi and plunge pool are my new best friends, really great for sorting out all the aches and pains.

FYP
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Sauna, jacuzzi and plunge pool are my new best friends, really great for sorting out all the aches and pains in my pants.

150km with 2000m of ascent (1700 from MMR).
    Cruagh Kilakee Long Hill laragh Shay Elliott * 2 Wicklow Gap.

My first 150k since Sept. Legs very tight and tender at present.

Met Rottenhat Cadex and Andreas at Laragh. Sat for coffee and cake and died on the Gap.

I am simply not able to stop for coffee and get on the bike afterwards. This has happened too many times now.
    Won't happen again.

Anyway got second wind around the lakes and motored back in town.

The plan was to do another 150k tomorrow but in Kildare. Not sure. I will head out in the morning to loosen legs and see what I am capable of.

Passed more cyclists today than I have for a very long time.

Climbing is now coming on. Still very slow but am happy that I can suffer thru most climbs now. I felt better on Shay Elliott today than I everhave heretofore.
    Exhausted. Happy. Hungry.

I was supposed to do a flat 150km spin today. Cycling to thurles and then jumping on the train to Kerry to get home.
    Anyway I couldn't get out of bed this morning. Shattered. Finally go up 90 mins late and headed out for 60km instead. After warming up my legs felt great. I couldn't head for Thurles at that stage as into a headwind it would have been touch and go would I make it.
    Lovely spin out to Rathcoffey and back via Dunboyne road.
    A fair few cyclists out training. 2 in Orwell gear.
    Having spent so much time climbing it sure was fun to get a flat spin in.
    Will hopefully get 50km in tomorrow if I am allowed.

Am now on the train from Dublin as opposed to Thurles.
    I am sitting across from a lady who unfortunately is quiet mad.
    I am hopelessly intolerant of peoples insanities.
    No spare seats.

This is my own fault. I should have gotten up when the alarm rang and just got on the bike. Maybe I should start talking to myself?

I thought todays spin was a bit too good to be true. Looked at my stats. Never hit HR Zone 4 or 5. So never really pused myself. However 26km/h for a low effort flat spin aint bad. Going to head out tomorrow and try to put a little more effort in.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/23214
    http://ridewithgps.com/trips/23213

• Advertisement

I am sitting across from a lady who unfortunately is quiet mad.

What is she doing?

Raam wrote: »
    What is she doing?

Twitching incessantly and having at least three conversations with imaginary people. I should laugh or judge. But I am not a very nice person.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You should try and out-crazy her, it might free up some space for yourself.

Wetting your pants would be a good start. Maybe claim to be napoleon as well.

Did it work for you, Dirk?

Came close to pissing myselfreading that. LOL.

Weighing scales. +1.5kg.

My weeks of gorging myself have finally caught up with me. Not good.
    Need to cop the f**k on. But food is just so tasty.

90mins of punishment this morning to repent.
    Heading to London next week and was going to treat myself to a few nice meals. Will have to be more disciplined now.
    Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Weighing scales. +1.5kg.

My weeks of gorging myself have finally caught up with me. Not good.
    Need to cop the f**k on. But food is just so tasty.

mban1918l.jpg

3 months in. So I feel like boring ya'all with a review.
    1. My body I'd used to spending a lot of days on the bike. While family and work commitments take precedence I am content in that I am training all of the available time that I have.
    2. Major plan was to master if that is appropriate climbing at a HR effort that does not put me in the red.
    I believe that while I am ridiculously slow on the ascent that I have now the confidence to climb in 160-175 region. Have tried this on many 7km climbs (notably Mullaganish 7km at 7,5%). Hopefully I will be able to sustain this on climbs that are twice/three times longer in the Pyrenees.
    I am confident also that there is no climb that I will not be able to handle on Tour de Munster.
    3. Dropped 6kg but since Nov. However I am heavier than I want to be. Have lost nothing in 5weeks.
    4. Happy to have done a 150k hilly spin followed by a flat short spin and legs felt pretty good.
    Over next few months the goal is a few one off 200kms plus when the opportunity presents itself to get a few back to back 100s. May not sound like a lot but it is the best that can be done given more important commitments. In fairness my wife has been supportive and understanding but I cant/wont take the piss either.

I will be off the bike from tomorrow for a week due to spending the bulk of the week working in London.
    The week is scheduled to be very very busy so I am hoping that despite work and distractions that I have the focus to eat well. My main goal at 89kg this morning is to be no heavier by Friday morning.

April plan is about spending more time on arduous gradients to prepare for a week in the Pyrenees in early May. By then I will now what it takes not only to complete the Raid but also what it is like to spend 4 days hard effort on the bike.
    It would be great to be less than 85kg by then.

OK. Spent one week off the bike due to a work trip.
    Good news is that after busy, productive and enjoyable trip to London, that I have managed to stay the same weight (89KG). Was meant to cycle today, but feel pretty tired and as I want to push hard on the bike rather than just cycle for the sake of it I knocked todays training spin on the head and will hopefully head out either tomorrow or Sunday.

Plan is hill repeats of the Healy Pass. Last time I did 5 for 60km and 1250m of climbing and descending. Goal tomorrow is 8 climbs for about 1840m.
    Weather is forecast to improve. Looking forward to it.
    My plan is
    (1) Warm up on first ascent,
    (2) Next few ascents to go at approx 160-170HR
    (3) Pick one ascent and hopefuly drill it (170-185HR).
    (4) Then repeat point 2.
    Final ascent to be done at high HR effort.
    Warm down.
    Back to car. Have sandwich and try to drive home.

Thats the plan anyway. I have no idea whatsoever as to whether this is sensible or not. But its what I plan on doing.

PS Lumen - that restaurant that you suggested in Soho had a menu that was strong on jellied pork product and fat. I declined and went for the best Thai meal that I have had in a long long while (place called Monkey and Me, near Marlybone).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Well done on remaining the same weight, I think that is goal enough achieved for the week.

I am sick now myself and off the bike so getting a bit skittish... no cycling this weekend I reckon, hope to be better early next week.

Advertisement