Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to the Raid

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

300km in past week.

Spin today in glorious sun, but got very tired toward the end. Simply ran out of water and nowhere near a shop, so just plowed on. Suffered on last climb. 6 short climbs for total of 1500m of climbing. 3 of the climbs were particularly steep (Ballaghbeama and Ballaghisheen from both sides).
    Nearly lost it on Ballaghisheen descent. Going almost 70km/h and took a tight corner very badly, so stupidly braked in the corner. Lucky not to go over the side. Managed to regain composure.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/54399

Has been a long while since I have taken that route. Apart from the Ballaghbeama climb and descent which would be better undertaken on a cross/mtb, the route is a spectacular one and I would highly recommend it to folk who visit Kerry.

Plan was to do Wicklow 200 next week, but that wont be possible as I wont get to Dublin next weekend. Disappointed, but will find a nice challenging 150km route down here instead.

Update. Spent some productive time on the bike in tha past week.
    Cycled Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed and Sat.
    Last weekend, three two hour cycles (57km, 65KM and 47km) all in Kerry.
    Tried to maintain a pretty decent effort throuout.
    Monday 50km - easy to Maynooth and back from Phoenix Pk.
    Tuesday - 130km (IFSC, Leixlip, Kill, Punchestown, Ballymore Eustace, Blessington, Lakes, Park)
    Wednesday - legs sluggish. Recovery spin took me to Old Long Hill. Note to self - old long hill is not a recovery spin. At least the desent back to the base of the Poggio was fun. 70km.

Rest Thur and Fri.
    Saturday 175km with Tour de Munster training day. 41 cyclists set out for a pretty stunning but challenging route (Kilgarvan - Kenmare - Healy Pass - Glengariff - (Priests Leap or Caha Pass) - Kenmare - Kilgarvan - Borling Valley - Ballingeary - Top of Coom - Kilgarvan. I took the nonPriests Leap option with 6 others. Have been over the leap too many times to know that it is a climb that finishes me off. End of story. 34 brave souls took themselves up and down it without incident. Fair play.
    7 climbs. 2200m of ascent. Very enjoyable.
    Faded very badly on last climb - very hot, stopped too long at final fuel stop and lost a lot of salt/cramping badly despite consuming lots of elctrolyte and salt sachets.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/37490900

645km for the week including commutes. Longest yet.
    I have learned a few things.
    (1) I am more than capable of cycling 4-5 days back to back, for an avg of 70km/day. For the tour, that will need to be at least twice that. However easier in a group.
    (2) Still need to work a bit more on climbing. Weight creeping back up again, so will endevour to watch this over next few months.
    (3) Braking a bit too much on narrow/rough descents. Need to watch TBH, it is easier for me to descend solo than in a group. This is just , their practice and will need to be worked on. In saying that there were some savage decenders yesterday on some very poor roads.
    (4) Despite fading badly on last climb, once I finished I felt fine. Had a bit of energy left on last flat strech to strech my legs a bit, and strangely I dont feel very tired or stiff today.

Yesterday we met at 3 other groups of cyclists (about 30 going up Healy Pass as we came down). Very large group of Lakeside Wheelers and Tralee Earl of Desmond in Glengariff. Cork?kerry was full of bikes yesterday.

Plan for week is Climbing and descending practice on Tuesday plus a fast flat spin on Wed. Up until yesterday I had actually done very little climbing in past three weeks - and that hurt me. Brisk spins in Kildare and Meath have become too tempting. Need to get back to Three Rock and Dublin/Wicklow hills.
    Following week is a week of work with 4 long cycles planned in addition to the Ring of Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ROK ON wrote: »
    7 climbs. 2200m of ascent.

Nice, that's almost a WW200.

I've noticed recently that my Garmin 705 reports about 10% less climbing at the end of the ride than when I upload to Garmin Training Centre, e.g. if I do about 1650m on the Garmin, TC will report about 1800 overall.

Do you see the same effect?

I guess it doesn't really matter, but odd nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Lumen wrote: »
    I've noticed recently that my Garmin 705 reports about 10% less climbing at the end of the ride than when I upload to Garmin Training Centre, e.g. if I do about 1650m on the Garmin, TC will report about 1800 overall.

Is that with the new elevation correction in the TC?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Is that with the new elevation correction in the TC?

Dunno. I seem to be running the latest version. I googled a bit and decided I can live with the ignorance!

• Advertisement

I find that Garmin 500 thru Garmin connect has the most accurate reading when it comes to elevation and calories.
    That ride at w/e was reported at c.2200m and c.4500 cals.
    The same trip when mapped on ridewithgps reported 3800m and 7500cals.

Also the Garmin 500 reports an average of 700cal/hr versus almost twice that on Garmin 305 for similar trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I find that Garmin 500 thru Garmin connect has the most accurate reading when it comes to elevation and calories.
    That ride at w/e was reported at c.2200m and c.4500 cals.
    The same trip when mapped on ridewithgps reported 3800m and 7500cals.

Also the Garmin 500 reports an average of 700cal/hr versus almost twice that on Garmin 305 for similar trips.

I think the 500 uses the same calorie algorithm as the 310xt etc..? I have found it quite accurate alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭cantalach

Nice, that's almost a WW200.

Having done the W200 the weekend before last and then this spin with ROK_ON last weekend, I can assure you it was a lot tougher than the W200 :) I really think the total vertical metres only tells half the story. It's the shape of those metres that really counts when it comes to how beaten up you feel. My Garmin 500 seems to agree because it estimated a higher calorie burn than it did for the W200 despite being 13km shorter.

645km for the week including commutes. Longest yet.

That's a savage total. Comfortably more than any other TdMer I reckon.

Two productive weeks.

550 approx last week.
    2 110k cycles from Kenmare to Dingle
    Slea Head loop twice
    Conor pass twice
    Ring of Kerry.

By the friday before the Ring I was toast. Less dead.
    Cold bath and a deep heat rub got some of the aches away. I was dreading the ROK. I just wanted to get around.
    Thanks to Astra Monti for dragging me around the part into headwind. I am wheelsucker exttaordinaire.

This week I decided to cut back.
    250k all on the flat at casual pace. Three 70km trips plus some commutes.

Tuesday and last night memorable.
    Tuesday - first 30k into a southerly wind. But it felt very refreshing. Hit the drops and just kept going.

Last night a lovely spin with Tiny Explosions. Rained but still felt good.
    Tiny still has the swagger on the bike and it was great to see pinky back on the roads.
    Good to have you back sir. Role on Flanders.

There will be no cycling until Tues. Wed I aim for Three Rock/Cruagh.
    Next Saturday hopefully the Iveragh200. Unlike the RoK I really want to be fresh for this ne. Tough parcours.

Happy with what I have put down. Still poor climbing, but apart from Conor Pass the Climbs on Tour de Munster aint that tough.
    The challenge will be to get back on the bike on day 2 after 190k on day 1 etc etc. Feel that I am getting to situation whereby that is possible.

• Advertisement

I decided that this needs updating due to Beastys far more interesting log catching up in terms of views.

Anyway 330k in four cycles in past week. All flattish apart from one.

To be honest I am getting really pissed off of back to back training. I tend to do 65-70km Mon Tues and Wed and then do 100k at weekend.
    Its all at tempo pace and just aims to get the legs and head used to being on the bike for back to back days.
    The Tour de Munster is now 2.5 weeks away but I really wish it was this week.

The only reason I am cycling now is to stay limber before the event. But cycling 3nights a week aftet work leaves no time for anything else.
    Anyway I am have 4 cycles this week and two next week and that's it. In order to stay mentally fresh I am going to di new routes thia week. So tonite I aim fir Howth Malahide North Dublin Dunboyne.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,448 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Take a few day off ROK ON. I had 8 days off the bike due to holidays a couple of weeks ago, and with hindsight was probably overdue a break, and have probably come back a bit stronger (after blowing away a few cobwebs). You'll probably appreciate it all the more when you do the Tour de Munster.

If you're bored, do a few days of crash training then have a couple of weeks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

do a few days of crash training

You practise crashing.?? Chapeau to your dedication Sir. Chapeau.

425km done in the past week.
    Training for the TdM now complete thanks to the Mick Dineen Cycle today hosted by http://valleywheelerscc.com/mickDineenCycle2010.php.

Valley Wheelers is a small club based along the Lee Valley in West Cork. They organised a fantastic cycle today (100k and 140k routes) in honour of former member Mick Dineen. An avid cyclist who tragically passed away last year. This was a cycle to commerate this man by his club. It was largely club members and other Tour de Munster folks who turned out (I guess about 150 people in total).

Stunning route, incredibly well organised with regular signage etc. An absolutely savage spread laid on in Kenmare (cakes sandwiches scones etc). I couldnt stay and chat as I had promised I would be home early to mind the terrible twins (now in bed thankfully).
    So I left the peleton in Kenmare enjoying lunch and continued the 100km on my own. There was a chocolate stop at the top of Caha Pass climb and another one in Ballylickey - great. Just great.
    This really was a great event and a fitting tribute to the man in question.

Managed to jump onto a group of guys from Catletownbere and Killorglin CC out training. They set a savage pace and dragged me to the foot of the final climb, where they continued at a savage pace and I dropped back to my climbing pace.

This event was free and there was showers and a swim at the end if one had time (I unfortunately didnt). This club could show many larger organisations how to run an event. Well done folks. I hope this is an annual event as it is a brilliant route with three nice climbs and some beautiful rolling countryside in between. It would be great to see an organised sportive on these roads as it is one of my favourite routes and I think the area is crying out for one. Hopefully the turnout today was encouragement for the club and indicative as to how many cyclists there are everywhere in the country now.

The cycle was the 4th this week and brought to a conclusion my training for the Tour de Munster. Looking forward to it, particularly not having to rush home in the eveing to mind the kids:). I am confident that I can now cycle back to back.
    Will do one cycle in Kilkenny next week after a wedding (hopefully with the good Capt Havoc - maybe some of the 100km Tour de Kilkenny route), and then thats it until the Tour de Munster.

Once that is complete I will actually have to go on a pretty serious diet. Cycling 4 nights a week means that I can pretty much eat whatever I like and not put on weight. Once I cut back to weekend cycles with a cycle on the odd night (and hopefully a race out in Swords), means that I will need to begin watching what I eat.

Managed to jump onto a group of guys from Catletownbere and Killorglin CC out training. They set a savage pace and dragged me to the foot of the final climb, where they continued at a savage pace and I dropped back to my climbing pace.

'Twas a shame you had to press on. A few of us detached ourselves from the main group temporarily to head over the hills via the Priest's Leap instead of the Caha Pass (my first time from the Kerry side - ouch!). After regrouping in Ballylickey, the pace was handy for a while until the Cousane Gap sparked everything into life. An excess of adrenaline and a shortage of oxygen meant that we missed the turn off for Dunmanway and ended up coming into the town from the other side, adding a fair few km in so doing. Then, after the final refreshment stop there, it was more-or-less a continuous 40km hammer fest all the way home. Fantastic stuff!

TdeM begins Thursday morning. almost 400km in first two days followed by 270km in final 2days.
    Giddy with excitement.

6780km done this year. Spent a lot of time in the saddle. My average ride is 75/80km back to back. I have focused in back to back rides over distance.
    The first two days of about 190km followed by almost 200km could be a bit of a shock as I have not trained for long distance due to time pressure. I know I can do an avg of 80-100km per day repeatedly. I am hoping that cycling in the peleton will help the transition to double that.
    Here's hoping for good weather and a safe enjoyable trip.

Good luck!

TdeM begins Thursday morning. almost 400km in first two days followed by 270km in final 2days.

Day 1: 172km
    Day 2: 189km
    Day 3: 147km
    Day 4: 133km

I'm trying to finalise the itinerary document at the moment but the elevation profile feature on MapMyRide stopped working on Friday. Great bloody timing!

cantalach wrote: »
    Day 1: 172km
    Day 2: 189km
    Day 3: 147km
    Day 4: 133km

I'm trying to finalise the itinerary document at the moment but the elevation profile feature on MapMyRide stopped working on Friday. Great bloody timing!

I thought that was just my PC. Ridewithgps is so much easier and has a nicer interface, but the elevation gain is about twice actualy reality. Also gradient reporting leaves a lot to be desired. I did Woodstock climb out if Inistoige at weekend. About 3km at 8%. Ridewithgps have it as a 3.4% climb.

• Advertisement

Also gradient reporting leaves a lot to be desired.

Interestingly, the new version of MapMyRide (in beta at the moment) has monochrome elevation profiles like RideWithGPS instead of the nice colour-coded ones that the current version of the site has. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Best of luck. Been following your exploits on your logs. You should have no problem with the distance.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,448 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Good luck with this ROK ON. You've worked hard all year and should be well prepared for it. If there are any times when you feel as if you are struggling, just think about the hits this log will get after reporting back here once you complete it ;)

Weather forecast looks encouraging, with little rain forecast for the area over the next week or so, and relatively light winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Good luck ROK ON, been keeping up with your posts, Tdm should be an enjoyable one for you by the looks of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Best of luck Rok On!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

As they say in this part of the country "No bother"

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Enjoy the tour, am looking forward to your daily report!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Was heading towards the cinema in Killarney just before 5.00 saw a group of cyclists heading for the Muckross Road, tried to run to get a view, so if you noticed me dragging a six year old, it was to wave and wish you well. Good luck on the last stage.

Thanks folks.

Stage 1: 170k. Lismore and Vee stunning. Contested sprint into Killaloe. Beaten into about 30th :-)
    Stage 2: 190k. Great flat stage. Good to be back in Limerick. Was lead into Tralee on Kellys wheel. Priceless.
    Stage 3: 145k. Disaster. Stomach upset, the runs. Died on thid stage. Limped over Conor Pass. Descended at 60-70km to get to Chemist in Dingle. Rest of day just suffered. Couldn't eat really.
    Today: great nights sleep. Feel fantastic. Sun shining. Time for breakfast. Can't wait. Leave Kenmare and head to Cork for finish on Patricks Hill.

Great event. Some savagr cyclists. Raising lots of funds for DSI.

• Advertisement

Today: great nights sleep. Feel fantastic. Sun shining. Time for breakfast. Can't wait. Leave Kenmare and head to Cork for finish on Patricks Hill.

Being allowed to race up Patrick's Hill on closed roads starting from the bridge was an unforgettable experience. What an atmosphere! It was an absolutely inspired move on the part of the organisers to introduce that little sting in the tail...it had the whole lot of us out of our heads on adrenaline afterwards.

Btw, I don't know if you know this or not but Sean Kelly actually rode the hill twice this afternoon. My dad said he just turned around straight away after the first ascent and bounced back down the stepped footpath (on his carbon rims) before riding up again. He stopped next to where I was standing after the second ascent and feigned collapse. Not realising it was his second crack at it, I asked him how long it had been since he last did Patrick's Hill. "About two minutes," came the reply. Legend.

Advertisement