Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beasty's objectives for 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Ah crap Beasty gutted for you.

Was it down by the grave yard when you went down?

Looks like your Tacx won't know what hit it in a week or two knowing what you are like. Take it easy for a week and you'll be dying to get back on. You've got plenty of miles in reserve on your objectives already and you'll probably end up doing more than you thought on the turbo.

Keepthe post going and we'll see you in a few weeks for the tuesday and Thursday sessions. To be fair Staroo has been not out much recently anyway so you will be kicking his ass when you come back unless he gets his thang together!

Keep in touch

shaun

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

shaungil wrote: »

Was it down by the grave yard when you went down?

Take it easy for a week and you'll be dying
    :eek:

Yes it was - just outside the pedestrian entrance (not the Pearly Gates, I might add:) - probably the steepest part - about 7-8%) First time round was fine. I am not sure if they were working on the new development during the day, but as I posted earlier, there is a thin layer of mud all the way down

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Whoops, that's bad luck, Beasty.

Sure you'll be back just in time for the ice free but rainy summer season.
    Get well soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Get well soon Beasty, was looking forward to meeting you over the next few weeks for the nocturnal madness.

Arnica tablets help bruising and swelling glucosamine 1500mgs is good for healing bones ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

2 commutes, 3 evening sessions (including last-night's ill-fated one!) and an hour on the track this week

Total distance on the road 206km at 24.3 kph and 187w with total climbing just under 2,000m

With another 39km or so on the track, total distance for the week was 245km

Total YTD distance now stands at 1,740km averaging 27.9 kph, with 9,000m climbing. This puts me over 300km ahead of schedule, but I will need all of this over the next couple of weeks.

Next week it's taxis all the way:)

• Advertisement

So what's the bets with when Beast is back on the bike. He crashed last Saturday night so I reckon he won't go into double figures on days before he's on the turbo. I call Monday evening.

So what's the bets with when Beast is back on the bike. He crashed last Saturday night so I reckon he won't go into double figures on days before he's on the turbo. I call Monday evening.
    Do you know something I don't?

Got a new cast on today - they gave me a choice of red, white or blue (no green or orange options though) - needless to say I went for red. Looks like I'll be in it for another 4-5 weeks

Main problem at present is my leg, which is still pretty raw (almost as red as the cast), and quite painful (struggling to walk on it today) - it's getting a new dressing tomorrow, but it needs to settle down a bit before I can get on the turbo.

Anyway, you've given me a target to try and beat now:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Sorry for the late response man, I just saw now that you've had a tumble but here's a photo to cheer you up.
    GWBEASTY.jpg

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Hi Beasty,

Just came on to read your log before updating your own and read about your spill.

Hope you're feeling better - have you tried the turbo yet?

All the best for a speedy and complete recovery.

Thanks Captain Havoc and Jawgap

Leg's still too sore for the turbo at present. Heading off to get it looked at again this afternoon - some stronger painkillers, and who knows what I might get up to over the weekend:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

FYP:
    Beastylocation.jpg

:D

FYP:
    Beastylocation.jpg

:D
    B******!!

Unfortunately I was there, and at Wembley the following week (shortly after one of my back operations)

I've had to give away my ticket for Sunday though (a bit like my other accident, when I could not use my ticket for last year's Wimbledon Mens Final) - a bit of a pattern emerging unfortunately (do I really want us to get to this year's European Cup Final?)

Anyway, I thought you were more into that Gaelic hockey game than real football:D

I remember watchign it on TV, Michael HUghes and Ludo Miklosko, I wasn't very popular in school the next day :D I'm into a lot of sports, I'm in the local cycling club, I play soccer for an astroturf team and I play golf. I regularly go to gaelic hockey games as it's just unavoidable here in Kilkenny, I'll also stay in to watch boxing, rugby and cricket, in fact I probably watch two flies climbing up a wall if the commentry was any decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Beasty wrote: »
    B******!!

Unfortunately I was there, and at Wembley the following week (shortly after one of my back operations)

I've had to give away my ticket for Sunday though (a bit like my other accident, when I could not use my ticket for last year's Wimbledon Mens Final) - a bit of a pattern emerging unfortunately (do I really want us to get to this year's European Cup Final?)

Anyway, I thought you were more into that Gaelic hockey game than real football:D

Football:-

383904177_4069942644.jpg

"ooooowwwwwww - my foot hurts - I want my mammy - somebody bring me my blanky - make it go away - waaaah!!! waaaah!!

REAL Football
    383904181_c1b4c8e36c_m.jpg

"right, I'll just go off, get stitched and I'll be back in 5 minutes....."

:):):)

Jawgap wrote: »
    Football:-

383904177_4069942644.jpg

"ooooowwwwwww - my foot hurts - I want my mammy - somebody bring me my blanky - make it go away - waaaah!!! waaaah!!

REAL Football
    383904181_c1b4c8e36c_m.jpg

"right, I'll just go off, get stitched and I'll be back in 5 minutes....."

:):):)

You've obviously never heard of Julian Dicks or Jaap Stam or seen me in action.

You've obviously never heard of Julian Dicks or Jaap Stam or seen me in action.
    Or, of course, Kevin Moran (who was even harder than "Dagsy")

And what's this I hear about BO'D tonight - apparently he is sh****** himself at the prospect of facing England tomorrow:)

Yes, I know, you can all come back here and gloat tomorrow evening

Beasty wrote: »
    Or, of course, Kevin Moran (who was even harder than "Dagsy")

And what's this I hear about BO'D tonight - apparently he is sh****** himself at the prospect of facing England tomorrow:)

Yes, I know, you can all come back here and gloat tomorrow evening

You can ask DamianBarrett, he's an old team-mate of mine :)

Total distance this week - a big fat 0
    YTD remains at 1,740km, which is still 150km ahead of target
    Distance required next week to keep on target - 41km
    Looks like the turbo will be earning its keep:)

Checked the bike out - there is only minor scuffing to the handlebar. Hence I am setting myself a new objective this week - putting new bar tape on one-handed.

Had the leg checked out today. It's still a bit sore, but the nurse said she'd seen similar wounds that had taken over 4 weeks to get to the stage mine had. It was only after she said this I admitted I had done 20km on the turbo last night. I explained that the best thing they could prescribe me was more time on the bike!

In terms of the turbo session, I did just 2 x 10 minutes and 1 x 13 minutes. I managed to keep my power up at just under 300w for the second session, but took it easy on the other 2. I suspect I will be able to maintain a lot of my basic speed on the flat on the turbo, but will probably lose much of any recent improvement in my climbing ability.

Plan is to have another go on the Tacx tomorrow evening. I am then back at the hospital on Wednesday to get the wrist x-rayed.

Hence I am on track with Coach Shaungil's rehab programme, but if anything goes wrong, it's all his fault:)

You the man. :D

Good to see some English lads are big softies we even had to take out our own captain to give you a chance.

• Advertisement

I have spent this week meandering through continental Europe on the Tacx

Kicked off the with 20km on Sunday, and then increased this to 44km on Tuesday, including a section of Amstel Gold. On Thursday I did another 51km, including part of Paris Roubaix. Tonight I added 56km with one of the 2009 Mallorca Tour rides, which included over 1km of climbing.

I spent 2hrs 20min on the Tacx this evening and at one stage I was starting to think of the Irish turbo record thread, but then the turbo packed in. I suspect it's something to do with the brake unit, which has stopped working during a long session before. Hopefully it will be fine tomorrow (otherwise I am completely stuffed:()

Total distance for the week was 171km at an average speed of 30 kph

YTD total 1,911km at 28.2 kph, which still leaves me 131km ahead of schedule.

I am finding a couple of problems using the turbo with a cast on my hand:

1. I am continully having to change hand position to keep comfortable
    2. The cast gets drenched with perspiration. I find that it takes a day or two to completely dry out, by which time I am getting back on the turbo again!

In terms of the injuries, the leg is healed now, although there is a large scar. Hopefully the cast will be coming off in another 3-4 weeks

Back on the turbo tonight - it was working fine, although I had a problem with the computer, and lost all my ride history. This may have been the cause of last night's breakdown.

So I recommenced the Mallorca ride that was interrupted last night. In total I did just under 44km, and then ... a puncture! So having successfully managed to put some bar tape on last week (albeit at the second attempt), this week's "special" challenge is to replace a tube in a trainer tyre with one good hand and a broken wrist - I'm not looking forward to this one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

171km on the turbo with road rash and a broken wrist. :eek:

You're some man for one man. Think Swords league will be around the time that cast comes off and you'll be flying.

you'll be flying.

I hope not - that was my downfall last year (my lack of wings became pretty apparent when I hit the ground):)

:eek:I obviously have far too much time on my hand at present:eek:

Despite all previous indications to the contrary, I have now joined my local club opting for their club league. I'm also taking out a vet's licence.

However you can all rest assured, I am unlikely to be bringing any of you down in the middle of a large bunch, as the intention is to focus on TTs, with a bit of Sundrive thrown in;)

Managed to get the tube on the trainer changed relatively easily (although I have to admit it was tyre levers all the way).

While I had the wheel off, I took the opportunity to put the Powertap wheel on to check the Taxc power readings. When comparing for a short period the Garmin was showing an average power output quite a bit higher than the Tacx, but over time the readings converged quite significantly. I estimate there is still a difference of between 3 and 5% between the two measures, but I was surprised at how close it was. I really struggle to get the power output when on the turbo (I know everyone finds this a problem), and normally see readings around 20% less than when on the road. I guess this highlights just how much harder it is on the turbo. I suspect it's a combination of motivation, variety on the road, and I guess the impact of a cooling breeze

Anyway, another 50km towards my target this evening (another spin on the roads of Mallorca being the "highlight")

3 turbo sessions this week, totalling 194km. I kept to the flatter courses, which allowed me to keep up a fast average speed of 33.4 kph

Tonight I did over 100km for the first time in a single session, including 75km of Paris Roubaix. Total time was just under 3 hours. I have done a longer session, but that was much hillier and slower than tonight.

Although still quite red, the leg is fine. The arm is still a bit sore, but I have discovered a technique for mitigating discomfort on the turbo. I won't reveal what it is, as I may be able to take advantage of it should I ever qualify for one-handed cycling at the paralympics:)

Total distance YTD now stands at 2,105km (including over 800 on "stationary bikes") at an average speed of 28.7 kph, meaning I am still 105km ahead of schedule

That turbo must be frying your head in this weather?

• Advertisement

That turbo must be frying your head in this weather?
    My turbo sessions are virtually all after 8pm, and last night was quite cold. In fact, although I was hot enough for the first couple of hours, I was starting to become quite cold towards the end - the perspiration on my arm-warmers was almost turning to ice!
    My legs do start to feel it during a long session, but I just tell them to shut up, and then they are fine:)

Advertisement