Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beasty's objectives for 2010

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

4 turbo sessions for a total of 129km this week. YTD now stands at 10,130km at 29.4kph

Each session I've been trying to include a 10 minute all-out interval, pushing up the power output to around 310w this evening. It can be pretty tortuous doing this sort of thing on a turbo. I then add a 40-60 minute Real Life Video to get some distance in

No more commutes this year, so I will close the year out with some more turbo work. Hopefully the weather will have improved when I get back to work in the New Year

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The weather having relented (at least for now), I took the opportunity to get out over the past couple of evenings.

Last night I was out for 1hr 20min, and was delighted to improve my power output from about 40s to just under 3 minutes. What was even more pleasing was my normalised power was 297w over the 80 minutes, with a best 60 minutes of 301w, an improvement of over 20w on my previous best

Tonight I improved it even further with normalised power of 299m over 1hr 45min, and a best 60 minutes of 321w. Hence I have improved my 60 minute normalised power by 40w. To put this in perspective, if I could translate this to an equivalent improvement to my average non-normalised power this could be worth well over 2 minutes over a 25m TT. Clearly this is just theory at present, and I will need to await the racing season to try to put this into practice. I also managed to improve my peak power between 17s and 50s, as well as at the full workout time of 1hr 45m

The power curve now looks like this:

cp1210.jpg

The other encouraging thing is my peak power has increased significantly through the year. In 2009, when I was at least 5kg heavier, I only managed to get above 800w on a couple of occasions. Tonight I exceeded 800w on 6 separate occasions, with a peak power output of 974w. Over the course of the year I have improved my peak power by nearly 25%, and now feel I can hit 900w pretty much at will - something I could only have dreamed of 6 months ago.

I feel as if there is still some improvement to come - I hit tonight's peaks after a hard session yesterday, and still managed to improve power output at both the short and long ends. So everything is looking encouraging as we enter the new year.

Only managed a couple of evening sessions up to the year end, totaling 81km, which brings the final total for the year to 10,211km (2009 6,800km) over 347hrs, 43mins, 10secs, an average speed of 29.4kph (2009 29.6kph). The distance can be broken down as follows:

751km road racing (23 races, 21:42:10, 34.6kph, 275w)
    6,961km other road (28.2kph, 247:04:52, 216w)
    504km track (33.5kph, 15:04:22)
    1,477km turbo (32.2kph, 45:51:42)
    518km other (gyms/spinning) (28.7kph, 18:02:00)

Total climbing – 65,000m
    Energy expended – 250,000kj

I was out again this evening, and the Powertap was playing up - I'm assuming the battery has gone, which may beg a question over some of the recent power stats (I suspect it's been overstated in this week's spins). I'll replace the battery tomorrow and hopefully get out in the evening - this should give me a chance to compare performance with the last couple of outings to see if the power records are consistent.

Advertisement