Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

Can Cam win a superbowl? Just curious if people think he has it in him. Love watching him play!

i do think he can but not for a few years he needs more players around him.
    as a matter of fact i think he can and i emphasize i didn't say he will but he has the potential to be a hof qb

matthew8 wrote: »
    Absolutely. I can't see any reason he can't. Good attitude, good throw, smart, durable. He has it all. The only thing that could hold him back is maybe the lockout made him look better than he really is, I don't have anything to back this up but I felt rookie qbs did really well last year and it mightn't be a coincidence there was a lockout.

this is a very good point actually there was so many records broken last year the lockout helped peoples numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TimThomas

Can Cam win a superbowl? Just curious if people think he has it in him. Love watching him play!

He needs a team around him to aid in his efforts thats for sure. Newton is a bright young QB and has shown us the goods but the Panthers are not there just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Just thinking out loud who will be on Hard Knocks?

Before the lockout the Bucs were a hot favourite but that's gone now

Has to be Denver surely?
    New owners in St Louis and Jacksonville will be trying to build up their profiles

Texans would be a good watch too

Training camp is not that far away. Well even if it's a few months the HBO producers will be getting organized now

mikemac1 wrote: »

Has to be Denver surely?

on a simular subject is there a hard knocks curse ala the madden curse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

mikemac1 wrote: »

Has to be Denver surely?
    New owners in St Louis and Jacksonville will be trying to build up their profiles

Training camp is not that far away. Well even if it's a few months the HBO producers will be getting organized now

We were considered last year but Elway said no to the idea(was cancelled last year anyways though), he didn't want the circus surrounding it. If Tebowmania and it's subsequent killing off with the Manning signing proved anything, it's that Elway wants a grounded, successful organisation that earns its respect and fame through sustained success, not a media circus. Can't fault that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

nerd69 wrote: »
    on a simular subject is there a hard knocks curse ala the madden curse

The Jets got to the AFC championship game the last season, there's none of that do-lally going on around Hard Knocks.

And Hard knocks is more about who will allow it rather than who might be most popularly wanted. If anything teams struggling to be competitive make for more interesting material.

spiralism wrote: »
    We were considered last year but Elway said no to the idea(was cancelled last year anyways though), he didn't want the circus surrounding it. If Tebowmania and it's subsequent killing off with the Manning signing proved anything, it's that Elway wants a grounded, successful organisation that earns its respect and fame through sustained success, not a media circus. Can't fault that attitude.

Err, well if that's what you want you don't bring in the biggest free agent in perhaps the history of the NFL. The circus will continue unabated in Denver, just under a different name.

Syferus wrote: »
    The Jets got to the AFC championship game the last season, there's none of that do-lally going on around Hard Knocks.

And Hard knocks is more about who will allow it rather than who might be most popularly wanted. If anything teams struggling to be competitive make for more interesting material.

fair point and i agree i know the bucs refused as well. personally id like to see the packers theres a lot of characters in the changing room and there seems to be a lot of camaraderie
    Err, well if that's what you want you don't bring in the biggest free agent in perhaps the history of the NFL. The circus will continue unabated in Denver, just under a different name.

hard knocks is not worth the circus peyton manning is worth all of it and more

Manning doesn't create controversy like Tebow though, he'll win a lot of games and we'll be in the spotlight for being good rather than for massive debate surrounding Tebow

• Advertisement

Manning doesn't create controversy like Tebow though, he'll win a lot of games and we'll be in the spotlight for being good rather than for massive debate surrounding Tebow

A very possible scenario: Manning gets injured and they're left with nothing at QB and a team built around veteran comfort blankets and a defence set up to defend leads. You'll see the same fans that paid for billboards for Tebow going into complete meltdown alongside the team itself. Elway would end up ran out of town.

Going after Manning means you're setting one obvious goal: now or never. Manning could stay healthy and this could still end up a failure because the Broncos roster needs so many other things to fall for it to be able to truly compete for the Superbowl. All that 'building through the draft' guff - and that's all it obviously was given this move - is out the window. They've racketed up the expectations far, far beyond what they would have been with Tebow.

This has much, much more scope for controversy written into it.

A very possible scenario: Manning gets injured and they're left with nothing at QB and a team built around veteran comfort blankets and a defence set up to defend leads. You'll see the same fans that paid for billboards for Tebow going into complete meltdown alongside the team itself. Elway would end up ran out of town.

Going after Manning means you're setting one obvious goal: now or never. Manning could stay healthy and this could still end up a failure because the Broncos oster needs so many other things to fall for it to be able to truly compete for the Superbowl. All that 'building through the draft' guff - and that's all it obviously was given this move - is out the window. They've racketed up the expectations far, far beyond what they would have been with Tebow.

its a risk but its worth it a healthy manning gives any team a chance at a super bowl tebow does not if eli manning went down last year the giants wouldnt have won a superbowl players can get injured and it can end your season football is a risky game and a top 5 qb of all time is worth the risk more than most any broncos fan giving out about this is mad 1 sb beats the years of playoffs they will get at best with tebow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

A very possible scenario: Manning gets injured and they're left with nothing at QB and a team built around veteran comfort blankets and a defence set up to defend leads.

Totally possible - for all 32 teams, every year. Nothing unique to Denver with this comment.
    You'll see the same fans that paid for billboards for Tebow going into complete meltdown alongside the team itself. Elway would end up ran out of town.

Elway pursued and landed the biggest free agent acquisition in the NFL for many years. If Manning can be 3/4 the quarterback he was at his peak, he has made Denver a legitimate contender in the AFC overnight.

Going after Manning means you're setting one obvious goal: now or never.

Hardly never, but certainly nothing wrong with going for it now as you say.
    Manning could stay healthy and this could still end up a failure because the Broncos roster needs so many other things to fall for it to be able to truly compete for the Superbowl.

That's true also, but the main thing the roster needed was vast improvement at the quarterback position, which he has now addressed in spades. Another solid draft and 1 or 2 more value free agent signings and the roster will be an improvemnt over last years version.
    All that 'building through the draft' guff - and that's all it obviously was given this move - is out the window.

Bit of a negative tone here - but I still believe that Elway's preferred method of building a team will be through the draft. Peyton Mannings do not come on the market often (ever) and I'm glad they chose to pursue him. There's nothing wrong with adding to yuor team thorugh free agency, and there's usually value to be had if you wait a week or two.
    They've racketed up the expectations far, far beyond what they would have been with Tebow.

So what? - surely this is a good thing. If you improve your team you can hardly be accused of ratcheting up expectations?

Well it's certainly the biggest story of the offseason and will be followed closely for the entirity of the NFL season I'm sure - but the right play was made by the FO, and whether that stirs controversy or not is not of concern to them.

Well this is a little different to other QB situations. They've switched directly from 'let's build this from the ground up', be that with Tebow or someone else, to having a 3-4 year window, if lucky, to use an expensive HOF-bound vetern QB to win a Superbowl and consequently having to buy their way to a 'Bowl ready team.

It's a completely switch of tacts and that's what makes it a risk - if it fails (and with Manning's recent history there's increased scope for that) everyone will be ready to tell Elway and company how utterly stupid they were to put all their eggs in one basket.

It's the Farve/Childress dynamic with a less showy QB. The carts are hitched and they're either reaching the stars together or crashing in a flaming heap.

Objectively it's a no-brainer to want a QB of Manning's talent, but this is fraught with potential disaster for all parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

They can still do both. If they draft a QB to sit for 2/3 years, who'll take over upon Manning's retirement.

Tebow was clearly not Elway's guy and rather then replace him with a freshly drafted qb or ride into another season of uncertainty with him, they have replaced him with Peyton Manning!!

Denver are still well under the cap for the season, and have not sacrificed future cap space (someone else should be able to confirm this - I'm no expert) but I don't feel this is a do - or - die approach or buying their way to be bowl ready.

As a Denver fan I would like to see them spend as much as they can (up to the cap) upgrading the roster. Nothing would make me happier.

poldebruin wrote: »
    They can still do both. If they draft a QB to sit for 2/3 years, who'll take over upon Manning's retirement.

Tebow was clearly not Elway's guy and rather then replace him with a freshly drafted qb or ride into another season of uncertainty with him, they have replaced him with Peyton Manning!!

Denver are still well under the cap for the season, and have not sacrificed future cap space (someone else should be able to confirm this - I'm no expert) but I don't feel this is a do - or - die approach or buying their way to be bowl ready.

As a Denver fan I would like to see them spend as much as they can (up to the cap) upgrading the roster. Nothing would make me happier.

You don't get Peyton Manning to win division titles.

Elway's stuck his neck on the line by getting Manning and anything less than an AFC title in the next few years will damage him, and in the worst case scenarios, mean he's out of a job.

People were all about saying Elway and co were bringing direction back to the Broncos after McDaniels; well, they've just changed that direction mid-stream and that inevitably means the stakes get higher.

That's the price you pay for your own actions and for Manning. It's to be determined if it's a viable route to continued success.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Richie Dunne doing doing some work with the Browns to help him get over an injury!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

[URL=" Miami fan messed with Jeff Ireland's wiki entry:[/URL]

[IMG][/IMG]

:pac:

Does GOB Bluth stand for anything, cos otherwise I know a guy from the Football365 forum with that username... :confused:

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Does GOB Bluth stand for anything, cos otherwise I know a guy from the Football365 forum with that username... :confused:

He's a character in Arrested Development AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

You don't get Peyton Manning to win division titles.

Elway's stuck his neck on the line by getting Manning and anything less than an AFC title in the next few years will damage him, and in the worst case scenarios, mean he's out of a job.

People were all about saying Elway and co were bringing direction back to the Broncos after McDaniels; well, they've just changed that direction mid-stream and that inevitably means the stakes get higher.

That's the price you pay for your own actions and for Manning. It's to be determined if it's a viable route to continued success.

It's not if they have put the future of the team on the line. There were no draft picks involved. Sure, manning will cost a lot of money, but it was money the Broncos had room to spend. If they brought in 2/3 FA's this off season for the same price manning costs, you wouldn't be saying 'make it to a SB or bust'. So why is it different just because Mannings involved. The Raiders gave up far more for Carlson Palmer, yet nobody is saying they must make the SB in the next few years to save the coaches job

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    It's not if they have put the future of the team on the line. There were no draft picks involved. Sure, manning will cost a lot of money, but it was money the Broncos had room to spend. If they brought in 2/3 FA's this off season for the same price manning costs, you wouldn't be saying 'make it to a SB or bust'. So why is it different just because Mannings involved. The Raiders gave up far more for Carlson Palmer, yet nobody is saying they must make the SB in the next few years to save the coaches job

Peyton Manning is a different beast to almost every other FA/trade in the past 15-20 years. Only Farve-Vikings is comparable and even that wasn't as hyped up as Manning's decision this week. It's an undoubted statement of intent by the Broncos.

Manning himself wouldn't have chosen the Broncos if they werent targeting a Superbowl in the near term. That means spending and, like I keep saying, charging the franchise's purported direction mid-stream.

Elway and co have ratcheted up expectations and hence put a lot on the line. Their job has actually became more fraught with risk with Manning than without. It's opportunity-cost.

Hue Jackson has already been fired, by the way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Great off-season.

Shows you the weight of what has happened when the same topic is in 4 threads but all with different slants to it. The Manning thread, the Tebow thread and the Bronco's thread. Maybe move the conversations from this one to one of them 3?

Great off-season.

Shows you the weight of what has happened when the same topic is in 4 threads but all with different slants to it. The Manning thread, the Tebow thread and the Bronco's thread. Maybe move the conversations from this one to one of them 3?

Broncos thread? Like you're saying though, they're dealing with four different slants

Unrelated, but this fella's strips crack me up:

Drew Litton

here's one:

disablefordollars-550x366.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 39,751 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭cosatron

jeff saturday had workouts with the titan's,packers and bronco's. do you guy's think we have a chance(packers) of getting him, he would be a good addition as wells is gone and we could draft the centre from the badgers and school him up behind saturday. god the packers are very quiet in this off-season, its no fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Ryan Diem has retired. If i were Andrew Luck I'd strongly consider not signing for the Colts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

cosatron wrote: »
    jeff saturday had workouts with the titan's,packers and bronco's. do you guy's think we have a chance(packers) of getting him, he would be a good addition as wells is gone and we could draft the centre from the badgers and school him up behind saturday. god the packers are very quiet in this off-season, its no fun.

Packers actually signed Saturday.
    Itssoeasy wrote: »

What's Aikman on? That's the silliest thing I've read this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Fantastic signing for GB simply from the perspective that he's probably the smartest lineman in the NFL. He'll be a great help to Rodgers, who's only flaw is his tendancy to take sacks.

Plus he's the coolest mofo in the league, playing for my 2nd fave team. Stunned Denver didn't sign him. Wonder what happened.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement