Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

so im on bail for accidentaly killing a teammate while drunk driving. I am back in jail for testing positive for marjuana....who am I??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Arawn wrote: »
    so im on bail for accidentaly killing a teammate while drunk driving. I am back in jail for testing positive for marjuana....who am I??

Josh Brent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

College ball but anyway I loved this film.

About Paul Bear Bryant and a brutal training camp he ran for the Aggies.

I never came across this before on any lists of football films and it's over 10 years old by now.

Hidden gem imo :)

A section of the video is duplicated, you'll see that and you can just skip forward a little bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

This seems to have escaped many people because of the whole Aaron Hernandez thing

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/browns-rookie-lb-ausar-walcott-charged-attempted-murder-134152191.html
    Cleveland Browns rookie linebacker Ausar Walcott has been charged with attempted murder after allegedly punching a man outside a bar in Passaic, N.J., Abbott Koloff of The Record reports.

Walcott, 23, allegedly punched a 24-year-old man in the head outside The Palace Gentlemen’s Club at around 3 a.m. ET on Sunday. The victim, Derrick Jones, was transported by friends to a hospital in New York City where he remained in critical condition as of Tuesday.

Walcott turned himself in and was arrested Tuesday morning. Police have charged Walcott with first-degree attempted murder, second-degree aggravated assault and third-degree endangering an injured victim. The undrafted free agent from Virginia had his bail set at $500,000.

"This is a pending legal matter and we will not comment," the Browns announced on Tuesday. On Wednesday, the Browns placed Walcott on waivers.

In 46 games as a safety/linebacker during his four-year career at Virginia, the 6-foot-2, 227-pound Walcott posted 128 tackles, 1.5 sacks and had four passes defensed. Walcott nearly had his college career end in 2011 when he was arrested and suspended on charges of assault and battery. Walcott began seeing a psychologist and was reinstated to the program when the charges against him were dropped.

The Browns signed Walcott to a three-year, $1.485 million contract on May 13, a deal that contained no signing bonus or guaranteed money. Walcott already faced long odds to crack the Browns' 53-man roster, but may not get the same second chance from them that he had received in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

unless he was trying to hit the pavement through his face constantly attempted murder is a bit of a reach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

TO. wrote: »
    This seems to have escaped many people because of the whole Aaron Hernandez thing

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/browns-rookie-lb-ausar-walcott-charged-attempted-murder-134152191.html

Bit of a reach there, a punch to the head is attempted murder? That means an attempt has been made on my life at least twice on a football pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

American justice: Guy punches other guy in face = Attempted Murder.

Irish justice: knackers do Riverdance on innocent guys head = Manslaughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 danthedolphin

American justice: Guy punches other guy in face = Attempted Murder.

Irish justice: knackers do Riverdance on innocent guys head = Manslaughter.

So true, wish we had some of those American judges over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Ryan Matthews arrested for fighting outside a nightclub.

During the off season I think we should change the name of this thread to "The Weird, Wacky and Arrest Filled World of the NFL".

Maybe not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I'm not a huge fan of the Rich Eisen podcast. It's extremly long and too much chat and filler between him and his producers.

Now and again he hits gold though like when he interviewed Brian Dawkins a few months back

The latest episode is a fantastic listen.
    Atlanta Falcons linebacker Brian Banks stops by the “Rich Eisen Podcast” for a discussion with Rich about his incredible life story and journey to the NFL. From being falsely accused on two counts of forcible rape and kidnapping charges by a fellow classmate and friend, to being exonerated by the State of California 10 years later and having his conviction overturned by Los Angeles Deputy District Attorney David Ferriera. It’s an absolutely amazing story that you need to hear Banks tell in his own words.

Extremly articulate and well spoken guy

In itunes or website link here
    http://richeisen.nfl.com/2013/06/25/rich-eisen-podcast-brian-banks/

brian-banks.jpg

Top selling jerseys from April 1, 2012, to March 1, 2013
    1. Robert Griffen III
    2. Peyton Manning
    3. Ray Lewis
    4. Colin Kapernick
    5. Tom Brady
    6. Andrew Luck
    7. Aaron Rodgers
    8. Victor Cruz
    9. Eli Manning
    10. Patrick Willis

The previous years No.1 was Tim Tebow who dropped from the top spot all the way to 13.

Adrian Peterson seems low at 23

Unsuprisingly the Ravens and Niners topped the sales for team merchandise after their Superbowl appearances

Stats from nflshop.com which would be a good measure as it's national and international.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9150921/robert-griffin-iii-jersey-top-seller-sets-nfl-record

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Top selling jerseys from April 1, 2012, to March 1, 2013
    1. Robert Griffen III
    2. Peyton Manning
    3. Ray Lewis
    4. Colin Kapernick
    5. Tom Brady
    6. Andrew Luck
    7. Aaron Rodgers
    8. Victor Cruz
    9. Eli Manning
    10. Patrick Willis

The previous years No.1 was Tim Tebow who dropped from the top spot all the way to 13.

Adrian Peterson seems low at 23

Unsuprisingly the Ravens and Niners topped the sales for team merchandise after their Superbowl appearances

Stats from nflshop.com which would be a good measure as it's national and international.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9150921/robert-griffin-iii-jersey-top-seller-sets-nfl-record

Not really,
    Anyone who wants an AP jersey prob has one already.

I'd say he ranks pretty high in the 5 year sales figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Met Big Ben and Mr Rooney at the American Ambassadors place yesterday

Ben looked super trim and in great shape

Great day up there yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

raven136 wrote: »
    Met Big Ben and Mr Rooney at the American Ambassadors place yesterday

Ben looked super trim and in great shape

Great day up there yesterday

He gave an interview to the Indo which NFL.com is reporting too, has given his thumbs up to a game in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

ODVX7ho.jpg

Rochey18 wrote: »
    He gave an interview to the Indo which NFL.com is reporting too, has given his thumbs up to a game in Dublin.

The guy will probably be retired by the time that ever goes ahead.

Just watched this. Some very good/clever plays. Why don't we see plays like these in the pro's (I do know the Panthers & Cam ran the fumblerooskie 2 years ago)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

They look good when they come off but such plays would have a much lower success rate in the NFL with faster guys all over the field I'd say. That fumblerooskie would be a pretty ballsy call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Two of my favourites of the past couple of years - not exactly trick plays, but the first is ridiculously quick thinking and as close to a trick play as you can get from a cornerback. Just genius quick instincts.

And again, not a trick play, but usually you only line a QB up at wide receiver as a decoy. But this was great, because Newton was the biggest name in college football and was pulling away in his Heisman campaign, and then he does this.

Never seen that Cam play before. Ridiculous :eek:

quick thinking and as close to a trick play as you can get from a cornerback. Just genius quick instincts.

Wow! What a fantastic play by that CB.
    ..Newton was the biggest name in college football and was pulling away in his Heisman campaign, and then he does this.

Holy Jesus! I thought I was hallucinating for a moment there. Great stuff from Newton. Any chance us Pats could add him to our nonexistant WR corp?:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Mad Cleveland fan passed away and requested 6 members of the team carry his coffin "So the team could let him down one last time"

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dispatch/obituary.aspx?n=scott-e-entsminger&pid=165695591#fbLoggedOut

The Browns responded by saying they will send a representative to present the man's family with a No. 76 jersey, in honor of his favorite player, Lou Groza

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/sports/football/browns/cleveland-browns-to-honor-fan-who-wanted-players-as-pallbearers-to-let-him-down-one-last-time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Walked by the US ambassadors residence last night and they still have a pretty nice looking football pitch with post marked up on their lawn!

Anyone up for sneaking on for a game of 7 v 7??

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Walked by the US ambassadors residence last night and they still have a pretty nice looking football pitch with post marked up on their lawn!

Anyone up for sneaking on for a game of 7 v 7??

That went in a couple of years ago if im not mistaken and they decided to keep it there. Rooney's obviously play regular pick up games on it. Im sure if you knock on the front door they might accept your 7v7 challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

TO. wrote: »
    That went in a couple of years ago if im not mistaken and they decided to keep it there. Rooney's obviously play regular pick up games on it. Im sure if you knock on the front door they might accept your 7v7 challenge.

After I stumble out of the killers (I didn't buy the ticket!!!!!) on Saturday ill drop in and see what dan says!!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/12/welcome-to-shahid-khan

Shadid Khan has bought Fulham FC. Interesting with with Jags being committed to UK for next couple of years.

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/12/welcome-to-shahid-khan

Shadid Khan has bought Fulham FC. Interesting with with Jags being committed to UK for next couple of years.

Watch him build an All purpose stadium and have the Jags and Fulham ground share.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement