Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Rochey18 wrote: »
    This is still going on???

Nah, we've moved onto the subject of SantryReds balls..... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

mongoman wrote: »
    Which particular Pats fans are you referring to there? I’ve already pointed out that I’m a 49ers fan. And I’m sure your views don’t represent the sentiments of ALL pats fans either.

I never said my view did but anytime a Pats fan on here says something many believe its a majority view. And for someone who is a 49ers fan you are making all Pats fans look stupid with your childish comments.

Defensively in 2000 they conceded more TD’s than they scored, they gave up more offensive yards than they gained and conceded more sacks than they dished out.

(2000 Stats) Total TD’s scored 22 : Total TD’s conceded 35. Yards gained 4851 : Yards conceded 5525. Sacks for 29 : Sacks against 48.
    Bledsoe was sacked 45 times in 2000 and Brady was sacked 41 times in 2001. Not impressive work by any offensive lines standards and indicates it was still very much a work in progress in 2001.
    I am not about to argue stats with because that year they were irrelevent as always stats dont always show the ture picture. Look at the Giants last year statiscally horrible for most of the season and they won a Superbowl.
    The same can be said of the defence, but they improved as the 2001 season progressed. But to suggest either the offense or Defence were already the finished article is not true.
    You missed my point. Did you watch the Pats that year? The balance created by Bill Belichick was across the board and I never said it was the finished article what I said was it was a balanced team. The Patriots were growing under Bill and the addition of Brady was the icing on the balanced cake.

Look at the hard results in 1997 they went 10-6. In 1998 they went 9-7. In 1999 they went 8-8 and in 2000 they went 5-11. Now if that’s not a clear backwards slide, then I don’t know what is.
    Why are you talking about years under a different system and different head coach. Irrelevant to the conversation. The 5-11 is expected of any coach taking a team that was awful and trying to make it his own in their first season. The first game in the 2001 season was a tight loss to the Bengals and Bledsoe looked better than he had in previous years. In fact the Patriots played that game better than they had the year previous. You could see the affect Belichick was starting to have on the team.
    It clearly suggests to me that things were going backwards for the Pats under Bledsoe. Brady got them back to winning ways in 2001 when they finished 11-5. And he has kept them there ever since.
    So it wasn't Bill Belichick and the coaching staff and fixing issues that turned the Pats around? Solely Tom Brady right? The Pats were in transition under a new coaching staff and for anyone to suggest it was all Tom Brady is stupid at best. Tom Brady is an amazing QB and most certainly was one of the main catalysts in all our success but he was not and is not the sole reason for our success.
    I don't think anyone would dispute the coaching genius that Belichick is. And his team was still under construction when Brady became the starter. To suggest that it was all done and dusted when Brady stepped in is wrong. I mean the poor fúcker took 41 sacks in his first season.
    No one said it was done and dusted but you :confused: I said Bill created balance and the balance started to show even in the first game with Bledsoe at QB.
    Others and myself included have compared Brady-Bledsoe, NOT Brady Vs the team. Yet others have chosen for their own reasons, to read it that way.
    What are you banging on about such a childish response again. How old are you? It is all relevent when talking about Brady Bledsoe and the Patriots in 2000 and 2001 onwards. To say it cant be discussed is retarded.

On an interesting note for all the long term Pats fans in here how many of you came to Bledsoes defense back in 2001 when he was fit again? And be honest with yourselves because the stadium was full of Bledsoe fans including myself who wanted experience over inexperience. I find it hilarious these days Pats fans who will tell you they were 100% behind Brady back in the day. Hindsight such a wonderful thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

A Football Life : Cleveland 95 was amazing. I'd say some old school Browns fans found it tough to watch.
    Moddell really broke the heart of that city.

What a collection of staff they had there.

GO BROWNS.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Rochey18 wrote: »
    This is still going on???
    Nah, we've moved onto the subject of SantryReds balls..... :pac:

Think again. :eek:

I can't believe this shyte is still dragging on.

352xjo_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This is exactly what this thread needs right now. Charrisa Thompson of ESPN.

ct4-300x300.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Think again. :eek:

I can't believe this shyte is still dragging on.

This sh1te? A debate you were involved in but yet its sh1te? Makes sense. And My apologies for being away and not getting into the discussion when it was going on. Didn't realise there was a time limit on discussions. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

CoachTO wrote: »
    This sh1te? A debate you were involved in but yet its sh1te? Makes sense. And My apologies for being away and not getting into the discussion when it was going on. Didn't realise there was a time limit on discussions. :rolleyes:

Do what you want but DON'T drag me back into this.

I stopped wasting my time on that particular topic over 2 days ago.

And to elaborate - 'shyte' refers to the pointless bickering going on in here. Not the topic itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Goodell's phone hacked :D
    Goodell-Text-ESPN-wm.png
    Goodell-Text-Jerry-Jones-wm.png
    Goodell-Text-Aaron-Rodgers-wm.png
    Goodell-Text-New-Orleans-Saints-wm.png
    Goodell-Text-Rex-Ryan-wm.png

Also found this interesting, rookie snap count per team

49ers, clearly not a team for a rookie to make a break with.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Rookie snap count is interesting, nice to see Dwayne Allen almost equal to fellow TE Fleener in snaps, as a Clemson fan I still believe he fell too far in the draft....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

He's right too. I've been at games of various sports, and booed at my own team for stinking up, but booing when someone gets hurt is sh!tty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Only video I've seen of the incident, but it seems pretty harmless and even then sounds far more like them cheering because he seemed okay.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/19761458/is-this-the-cheering-chiefs-winston-blamed-fans-for?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Brian Cushing out for the rest of the season. Absolutely gutted for him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

NFL QB’s ON FACEBOOK: THE INEVITABLE SEQUEL

http://profootballmock.com/?p=5020

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I lost it when RG III repeated what he said earlier on about the concussion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

jj1 wrote: »
    NFL QB’s ON FACEBOOK: THE INEVITABLE SEQUEL

http://profootballmock.com/?p=5020

You are a bad bad man, i like the above just burst out laughing with the RG3 comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Just chocked on my cereal laughing at the dog with a bone thing. Made my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

That's brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

Just read it again there, is Eli the only one who gets away without some bit of a slagging? Possible Giants fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Just read it again there, is Eli the only one who gets away without some bit of a slagging? Possible Giants fan?

To be fair Eli's great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

HigginsJ wrote: »

To be fair Eli's great

Thanks man!

Brian Cushing out for the rest of the season. Absolutely gutted for him :(

Me too. Despite being in the same Division, he's a player I like to watch. He's an impressive player, and will miss out on Houston's biggest season ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/09/ireland-still-eyeballs-nfl-game/

The possibility of a NFL game in Ireland maybe gaining momentum

The Steeler's family are pushing this this, yet I'll bet any money they'll never give up a home game to come here. Which is a big reason IMO this won't go ahead.

Croker from above looks like part of it was sliced off by some great knife.

Off topic but just watched the latest 30 for 30 episode "9.79" it should really be no surprise but they were all on drugs. I feel kinda sorry for Ben Johnson, even tho he was on drugs like the rest of him, the US team spiked him before his drug test and he got caught. The whole episode has Carl Lewis sitting with a massive smug grin, kinda sickening.

I dont know if i could ever take Usain Bolt seriously as an athlete or any Olympic athlete seriously anymore. The vast majority are on steroids.

Its probably the same in the NFL but in a way football isn't a simple sport where its solely about speed or strength, its as much about football smarts that there is no drug for...unless your Joe Haden's adderall :P

Hazys wrote: »
    Its probably the same in the NFL but in a way football isn't a simple sport where its solely about speed or strength, its as much about football smarts that there is no drug for...unless your Joe Haden's adderall :P

I think you're kidding yourself a little bit. The beating a player takes over the course of a season can be offset massively by steroids. These are all big fast guys, but the endurance steroids allow, is a biiiiig benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Off topic but just watched the latest 30 for 30 episode "9.79" it should really be no surprise but they were all on drugs. I feel kinda sorry for Ben Johnson, even tho he was on drugs like the rest of him, the US team spiked him before his drug test and he got caught. The whole episode has Carl Lewis sitting with a massive smug grin, kinda sickening.

So 30 for 30 are re-branding BBC docs now - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ktf7y - that documentary aired before the Olympics here as The Race That Shook the World. Hopefully ESPN don't fall into that habit too often.

The documentary was an absolutely fantastic, though, and is easily one of the best sports documentaries ever filmed.

Syferus wrote: »
    So 30 for 30 are re-branding BBC docs now - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ktf7y - that documentary aired before the Olympics here as The Race That Shook the World. Hopefully ESPN don't fall into that habit too often.

The documentary was an absolutely fantastic, though, and is easily one of the best sports documentaries ever filmed.

You're right, i haven't seen the BBC documentary but its the same director so i assume its the exact same documentary. Still, great episode.
    davyjose wrote: »
    I think you're kidding yourself a little bit. The beating a player takes over the course of a season can be offset massively by steroids. These are all big fast guys, but the endurance steroids allow, is a biiiiig benefit.

I didnt think about it in terms of recovery where it would have a great impact on the sport. I was more thinking if you were running a 4:50 40 and you took steriods to improve your speed to 4:40 it doesnt really have that major impact as you still need your football brain to run routes or pick the right gap to run through, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I didnt think about it in terms of recovery where it would have a great impact on the sport. I was more thinking if you were running a 4:50 40 and you took steriods to improve your speed to 4:40 it doesnt really have that major impact as you still need your football brain to run routes or pick the right gap to run through, etc.

It still makes a huge difference. A lot of positions in nfl don't really need intelligene. For example in the draft a WR who shaves .10 seconds of his time will go far higher up draft boards than one who has a 10 points better wonderlic.

• Advertisement

It still makes a huge difference. A lot of positions in nfl don't really need intelligene. For example in the draft a WR who shaves .10 seconds of his time will go far higher up draft boards than one who has a 10 points better wonderlic.

In comparison to the amount of intelligence of running 100m in a straight line Vs knowing how to use your hands to beat press coverage, running the route, faking out the DB, changing the route depending on the coverage in front of you, cutting at the right angle, then catching the ball in traffic and holding onto the ball after taking a hit.

I know you are a Raiders fan but there is a lot more to the game than straight line speed and atheltic ability. Majority of the game is instinct and football intelligence, being a great athlete helps obviously but not as close much as it does in track and field. There are many world class athletes but very few who are good football players also...see Vernon Gholston, Mike Mamula, etc...i'll take Wes Welker any day.

Take Welker Vs Heward-Bey. Give Welker more athletic ability he becomes a better player but i dont think it has the same level of impact as if you were to give HB (the prototype for a WR) the same football intelligence as Welker.

FYI wonderlic has nothing to do with football intelligence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement