Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Poor guy, Ben Ijalana has tore his ACL for the second time in 12 months. He's out for the year. Only in the league 2 years and his career is already in jeopardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,965 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gotta say I didn't find that 'The Darkside' thing the slightest bit funny. Boring more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

eagle eye wrote: »
    Gotta say I didn't find that 'The Darkside' thing the slightest bit funny. Boring more like.

have you not seen the blind side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Paully D wrote: »
    Anyone else surprised no team has taken a chance on Cedric Benson, Ryan Grant or Jeremy Shockey this offseason?

Shockey will start this season as an Eagle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Some rookies who have been impressing at camp, and are worth keeping an eye on. The below players have been getting praise from multiple sources:

Doug Martin - Buccs
    Bernard Pierce - Ravens
    Travis Benjamin - Browns
    Robert Turbin - Seahawks
    David Wilson - Giants
    Cliff Harris - Eagles
    Evan Rodriquez - Bears
    Ronnie Hillman - Broncos
    Dont'a Hightower - Patriots
    Alshon Jeffrey - Bears
    Josh Gordon - Browns
    Bill Bentley - Lions
    Stephon Gilmore - Bills
    Stephen Hill - Jets

• Registered Users Posts: 37,965 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

nerd69 wrote: »
    have you not seen the blind side
    I have but it doesn't make that funny for me. I find it just boring, not really original at all. Its something thats been done a load of times. I've seen Peyton do a couple of good ones before but that is pretty awful imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Some rookies who have been impressing at camp, and are worth keeping an eye on. The below players have been getting praise from multiple sources:

Doug Martin - Buccs
    Bernard Pierce - Ravens
    Travis Benjamin - Browns
    Robert Turbin - Seahawks
    David Wilson - Giants
    Cliff Harris - Eagles
    Evan Rodriquez - Bears
    Ronnie Hillman - Broncos
    Alshon Jeffrey - Bears
    Josh Gordon - Browns
    Bill Bentley - Lions
    Stephon Gilmore - Bills
    Stephen Hill - Jets

Dwight Bentley?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Doug Martin - Buccs
    Bernard Pierce - Ravens
    Travis Benjamin - Browns
    Robert Turbin - Seahawks
    David Wilson - Giants
    Cliff Harris - Eagles
    Evan Rodriquez - Bears
    Ronnie Hillman - Broncos
    Alshon Jeffrey - Bears
    Josh Gordon - Browns
    Bill Bentley - Lions
    Stephon Gilmore - Bills
    Stephen Hill - Jets

I don't think Hill is impressing Cromartie much:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Doug Martin - Buccs
    Bernard Pierce - Ravens
    Travis Benjamin - Browns
    Robert Turbin - Seahawks
    David Wilson - Giants
    Cliff Harris - Eagles
    Evan Rodriquez - Bears
    Ronnie Hillman - Broncos
    Alshon Jeffrey - Bears
    Josh Gordon - Browns
    Bill Bentley - Lions
    Stephon Gilmore - Bills
    Stephen Hill - Jets

You can definitely add Chandler Jones from the Patriots to that list.

• Advertisement

Ah good old training camp. Where every offence is beastly, every defence is dominant and every rookie a steal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

And Bryce brown for the eagles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Browns sold for over a billion.

What.the.****.

Masked Man wrote: »
    Browns sold for over a billion.

What.the.****.

No recession around there then and perhaps just a touch overvalued.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Ridiculous stuff from the NFL.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1282199-tyler-sash-suspension-proves-nfl-substance-abuse-policy-it-a-bunch-of-nonsense

Giants safety Tyler Sash has been banned for 4 games for violating NFL substance abuse policy. Sash tested positive for adderall. Fine you say.

But Sash was prescribed the drug to treat anxiety. By a doctor. Legally. Bloody ridiculous. When you see what other players are doing (including a G-men teammate Diehl being arrested for DUI) and getting away with, the mind boggles.

Take a bow Roger Goddell. :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well just because he is prescribed it by a doctor doesn't mean it's ok to take it.

He needs to know what he can take and what he can't take. At the end of the day it is nobody's responsibility but his to ensure he is not taking any banned substances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well just because he is prescribed it by a doctor doesn't mean it's ok to take it.

He needs to know what he can take and what he can't take. At the end of the day it is nobody's responsibility but his to ensure he is not taking any banned substances.

Sash was seeking help in the offseason. He has done nothing wrong and has no history of any form of substance abuse.

Guys are getting away with warnings for DUI's and he is getting a suspension for trying to treat a condition under a doctors care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Sash was seeking help in the offseason. He has done nothing wrong and has no history of any form of substance abuse.

Guys are getting away with warnings for DUI's and he is getting a suspension for trying to treat a condition under a doctors care.

Or else he was smart and went to a doctor and claimed he needed it for ADHD when in fact he just wanted it to gain and unfair advantage over anyone else. DUI don't give people an unfair advantage on the field, arguable the NFL shouldn't give a toss about it as all it does is tarnish the league reputation. I'm sure there are plenty of banned drugs which can be prescribed by a doctor so should we just allow everyone take those?

Man bleacher report is such a horrible website.
    claimed he needed it for ADHD

He actually used it to treat anxiety. Of course that pos website failed to mention that it was anxiety to do with public speaking. That wouldn't help them **** all over the nfl.

They then claim that his only crime is naivete. Really? hmm guess he just didn't know that adderall was a banned substance.

Except. Andre Brown (also a Giant) was suspended for taking adderall and his appeal was successful because he had a prescription for ADHD. Funny how that wasn't mentioned either.

As Chucky said having a prescription does not make something alright. It's not that hard to trick or pay off a doctor. I'm more than happy to give Goddell the benefit of the doubt on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

That ban is crazy. Bans should be for serious criminal offences, drug abuse or serious unsportsmanlike conduct on the football field. How a guy taking this in March merits a ban is beyond me.

• Advertisement

How a guy taking this at the start of August

He tested positive in March. It's in the article linked already.

edit: and lololol if you think the preseason argument actually holds weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Masked Man wrote: »
    He tested positive in March. It's in the article linked already.

Then that makes it even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Ridiculous stuff from the NFL.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1282199-tyler-sash-suspension-proves-nfl-substance-abuse-policy-it-a-bunch-of-nonsense

Giants safety Tyler Sash has been banned for 4 games for violating NFL substance abuse policy. Sash tested positive for adderall. Fine you say.

But Sash was prescribed the drug to treat anxiety. By a doctor. Legally. Bloody ridiculous. When you see what other players are doing (including a G-men teammate Diehl being arrested for DUI) and getting away with, the mind boggles.

Take a bow Roger Goddell. :mad:

same as the Paddy Kenny's FIFA ban tbh, he should know what to take and what not, and if a dr prescribes him something covered by the NFL's policies he should get the team to make sure he's got the required permission to take it.

4 match ban seems long but there are rules in place for a reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

No recession around there then and perhaps just a touch overvalued.

A bit but when you think about sports is the only industry Cleveland has...

Owning a football team is equivalent to owning a state (See the Vikings stadium build fiasco).

Stev_o wrote: »
    A bit but when you think about sports is the only industry Cleveland has..

Yes, but the franchise is still way overvalued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

matthew8 wrote: »
    That ban is crazy. Bans should be for serious criminal offences, drug abuse or serious unsportsmanlike conduct on the football field. How a guy taking this in March merits a ban is beyond me.

So should there only be a ban on drugs from September-January? Anytime in between then is a free for all?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yes, but the franchise is still way overvalued.

Its hard to tell. There's only 32 teams in the league. There might be only a few that come up for sale in a decade. There's billionaires lining up to buy one of these teams and money isn't an object to them. They want to own a football team and they'll pay anything for that honor. I can only see the value of teams rising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

What I don't get is why these players don't check with the NFL first before taking any substance prescription or not. They all seem to forget who pays their wages. The player needs to take more responsibility and make sure any drug or supplement they take is not breaching any rules regardless of how they obtained said drug. There plenty of banned drugs that are prescribed to patients including some very strong steroids that are banned in most sports. Pleading ignorance because of a prescription is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

CoachTO wrote: »
    What I don't get is why these players don't check with the NFL first before taking any substance prescription or not. They all seem to forget who pays their wages. The player needs to take more responsibility and make sure any drug or supplement they take is not breaching any rules regardless of how they obtained said drug. There plenty of banned drugs that are prescribed to patients including some very strong steroids that are banned in most sports. Pleading ignorance because of a prescription is nonsense.

If you ask me you'd think they'd go to the team doctors if they needed something who would know straight off what they can or can't take. If the team doctor screwed up I wouldn't blame him but if you go to your own doctor you can't expect him to know something like that. Or even as you pointed out all he had to say to the doctor - "can you just make sure it's not going to be a problem with the NFL before you give me this"

It does seem a bit harsh but players really do need to take some of the responsibility themselves and hopefully other players will take note and be careful themselves from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

CoachTO wrote: »

Exactly. In cycling or athletics these excuses would not only not fly, but would taint the athlete's reputation permanently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement