Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Ah lads.... mood just lifted massively!!

ITS CHRISTMAS!!!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Same here grinning like an eejit here in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭tscul32

First time in years that I've heard the launch live. Got the first song in and the flooring guys arrived to fix some stuff so only back to it now. Time to switch the car over too.

Had to go straight onto a teams meeting re: billings after FONY but didn't mind a jot!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Hard to believe this is the 16th year ChristmasFM has operated. Here's to 16 more, it wouldn't be Christmas without it!

One for our Radio expert @Declan A Walsh has Keith Shanley retired? He used to do the launch show and he's not on the schedule this year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Manic morning caught Fairytale of New York I actually thought that was the first song 😂 I’ll tune in shortly

I imagine happy boys and girls listening in this afternoon after school

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭noplacehere

God I LOVE Christmas fm. Caught the launch for the first time in a while and the kids were so excited hopping in the car on the way home to hear it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I have not seen or heard anything about Keith. It does say that the schedule is subject to say. I heard Mike Maloney presenting last week online on Christmas FM and he is not on the schedule, so maybe Keith is taking a back seat and presenting the odd show. Every year Paul Shepherd, aka Ray Jackson, turns up randomly over weekends, so Keith might do the same. If he does not turn up this year, this will be the first time in its history! That said, if you click on Our Team, Keith Shanley still comes up.

As regards Emily Brew and Radio Nova, the schedule also includes:

Lar Flynn: Christmas FM regular and recently added presenter to Nova ,

Mark Noble: recent addition to Nova and new to Christmas FM and

Paul McGuinness: up to recently a presenter on Nova and new to Christmas FM.

Work and life distracted me today, but I will give Christmas FM a listen during tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭tscul32

I had forgotten how much of a good mood Christmas FM can put you in first thing in the morning 😁

Completely agree was listening to it on my walk this morning lovely experience! Say what you want but there is nothing like the live broadcasts, no playlist or warm up shows can touch it.

It certainly does put you in good form first thing in the morning, you can’t beat the live broadcasts

I hope Keith Shanley makes an appearance, will Garvan be on this year love him on the breakfast show ?

Garvan is scheduled for tomorrow's breakfast show. I imagine he'll be back on next week as well.

If Keith Shanley is gone I wished they gave him a chance to do a final show, I'm trying to recall last year did he sign off one of his shows as his last ever ChristmasFM broadcast and bowed out? He was synonymous with kicking off ChristmasFM, then the breakfast show then he moved to lunch times.

I heard Mark Fennell this morning. I think he did a good job. I have to say that I liked the particular mix of songs when I was listening.

Massive fan of Keith here, hopefully he will be on the airwaves this season

100%

Was great having it in the car on my drive in to the office this morning. Love having it in the car for the commute.

In terms of presenters, I just hope that the presenter for the last FM show on Dec 27th is up to scratch, the last couple of years the close out show has been handled kinda poorly with the DJ still talking when the signal cuts & suchlike. Every other year it was handled really well with the closing song & silence, but the last couple have see half of extra random songs & more chat etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

God the journal that's like asking the lads in After Hours if they listen.... what's a poll like that trying to achieve other than take money away from charities?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well I suppose it indirectly also alerts people that Christmas FM is back. But yeah, the poll results are indicative of a certain demographic only...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I'm pretty sure I say this (or something similar) every year.

I just don't get the vitriol towards christmas by so many on AH. Like seriously, how is it harming anyone, just ignore it until its reaches your own predetermined time that anything christmas related is acceptable, and if that date is never then simply leave the rest of us who do like it to it?

I don't get the constant requirement for people to be angered, offended or outraged by stuff nowadays, there's more than enough toxicity in the world as it is, tfar more deserving than Christmas & the many positives it brings to so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lord Nelson

I think he originally moved from breakfast due to a hectic gigging schedule in December meaning only three hours sleep before hitting the road again not that you’d know it listening to him. I suspect it’s just a matter of prioritising but I’m sure someone here will have the answer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

If some people can start planning their summer holidays in January, what's wrong with starting to plan for Christmas in mid October? Plus, the longer you plan for the festive season, the easier it is financially!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lord Nelson

Looking at this week’s schedule, there seems to be quite a bit of “new blood”. I gather Ray Jackson decided to retire from on air duties at the beginning of covid. The other founders aren’t mentioned in the schedule except Garvan and even then he’s only doing one show. Might be a case of stepping back after 16 years of being front and centre?

I think Ray Jackson (Paul Shepherd) has turned up a couple of times since Covid arrived. I could be wrong of course as Covid messed up our memories! I am sure I heard Daragh O'Sullivan a couple of times, but Covid...you know! Water Hegarty usually turns up at some stage, if only to thank everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Coupon King

Just Suffered Through Taylor Swifts Last Christmas, It really does sound like She's Gargling Mouth Wash and Singing at the same time. its HORRENDOUS!!

Anyone heard Holy Jolly Dolly yet??? Hopefully they skip it this year..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

It was on at 8:20 this morning. Seems to be played once a day. https://ukradiolive.com/christmas-fm/playlist

Conversely, Burl Ives' version gets an outing every four hours

Advertisement