Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is a real Sh!thole

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Noffles wrote: »
    would love to get a train to the airport like most civilized countries

to hell with that,I'll give you a lift..cant say we aint friendly:D:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

furiousox wrote: »
    To all the posters bitching about how awful it is to live here....

Why are you living here if its such a sh1thole??

Stop moaning about it, have the courage of your convictions and move somewhere "nicer"!

Get realistic; if you have a family here, a house here and most likely, debt here "moving to somewhere nicer" isn't an option. Consider immigration legislation etc. in your target country too.

If you love your country but hate the state it's in, why would you just pack up and leave instead of trying to make it better, or wanting to make it better?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭furiousox

mloc wrote: »
    Get realistic; if you have a family here, a house here and most likely, debt here "moving to somewhere nicer" isn't an option. Consider immigration legislation etc. in your target country too.

If you love your country but hate the state it's in, why would you just pack up and leave instead of trying to make it better, or wanting to make it better?

Fine, but at least one of the posters above is foreign and seems to be taking great delight in telling us again and again what a run down country we live in.
    In his situation I can't understand why if its so bad here why he just doesn't return home?
    Someone else said that its ''such a sh1thole and I can't wait to leave''....well get up off your @rse and leave then!....or as you yourself said above, do something to make it better.

CPL 593H

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

where is a great place to live? thats my question, is everywhere de same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh don't get me wrong - I'm not nationalistic/patriotic in the least. I don't think Ireland's brilliant or anything - people have every right not to like living here. But generally speaking, it's not bad - we have it pretty good. Keyboard warriors going all "Che" about the place... well just have some perspective maybe. If there's a thread here about e.g. a stabbing or mugging, there'll always be a "What do you expect in Ireland?" type comment.

Because of course, stabbings/muggings are exclusive to Ireland...

i dont get why you felt the need to put in a disclaimer of sorts, like its wrong to be nationalistic/patriotic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Thank your lucky stars we don't live in Paraguay.

This is an example of what appears to be one of the key points in making Ireland look good as a nation within this thread: compare it to a third-world or poverty-stricken corrupt one. Here's to ambition!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Just joined this now.The OP and many more have never seen really poor country's ???

If you live in Ireland You live in one of the best country's in the world believe it or not. If you have a problem with rain get a umbrella,If you know of a better political system please inform us

IRELAND

Best country in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭furiousox

Actually 5th best based on life expectancy, literacy rates, school enrolment, and the country's economy (?)

Norway is no 1

Still, 5th best country in the world to be living in isn't bad is it?

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/best-country-live-list-countries-2009-un-hdi

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

That's not how you spell paedo. :mad:

It is unless you're an American.

• Advertisement

Ireland...If ya dont like it www.ryanair.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

The funny thing is that some people believe this. Maybe it is reason why the Irish do not change the political status quo, you know, because you have it so good in Ireland, why change it.

So let me see, according to the report Ireland is better than France, Switzerland, Denmark, Japan, Sweden, Austria, Holland ........
    I've been to most of those countries, and I just don't see it.
    The criteria includes the country's economy, so any report that has Iceland as the number 3 best place in the world would be very suspicious to me (irrespective of the other criteria).

Papad wrote: »
    The funny thing is that some people believe this. Maybe it is reason why the Irish do not change the political status quo, you know, because you have it so good in Ireland, why change it.

So let me see, according to the report Ireland is better than France, Switzerland, Denmark, Japan, Sweden, Austria, Holland ........
    I've been to most of those countries, and I just don't see it.
    The criteria includes the country's economy, so any report that has Iceland as the number 3 best place in the world would be very suspicious to me (irrespective of the other criteria).

You need to IRISH UP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

I wish I was back home now. The Christmassy weather, the dark and cold evenings, the lights glistening in Dublin city, the smell of Christmas in the air.....

I wish I was there.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

KungPao wrote: »
    I wish I was back home now. The Christmassy weather, the dark and cold evenings, the lights glistening in Dublin city, the smell of Christmas in the air.....I wish I was there.

You make it so nice .. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Just joined this now.The OP and many more have never seen really poor country's ???

If you live in Ireland You live in one of the best country's in the world believe it or not. If you have a problem with rain get a umbrella,If you know of a better political system please inform us
    Actually 5th best based on life expectancy, literacy rates, school enrolment, and the country's economy (?)

Norway is no 1

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/best-country-live-list-countries-2009-un-hdi
    Ireland...If ya dont like it www.ryanair.com

All issues that have been dealt with.
    You need to IRISH UP

Ye-ahh.... thanks for that insightful contribution...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I wish I was back home now. The Christmassy weather, the dark and cold evenings, the lights glistening in Dublin city, the smell of Christmas in the air.....

I wish I was there.

Very true.

Im in oz now and tbh I couldnt give a sh1t about chrimbo. The feeling aint here

OutlawPete wrote: »
    You make it so nice .. :D

It is nice, especially when you live thousands of miles away, in a place where the Christmas is just another day....compared to an Irish one.

I know Ireland ain't no paradise, but for Christmas in particular, there really is no place like home.

And I've just been listening to Christmas music....made me feel homesick :(

Very true.

Im in oz now and tbh I couldnt give a sh1t about chrimbo. The feeling aint here

I know what you mean, I'm in Brazil...same shít as Australia as regards weather anyway....just not the same.

Regardless of the economy....I think I'll heading back to Irlanda soon.

I know Ireland ain't no paradise, but for Christmas in particular, there really is no place like home.

Family is the most imortant thing. Comes before weather or whatver country your in.

If I could spend one more christmas with my Dad, I'd be happy to do that anywhere.

Do you have family here in Ireland? Maybe that's what your really wishing for.

Family is the most imortant thing. Comes before weather or whatver country your in.

If I could spend one more christmas with my Dad, I'd be happy to do that anywhere.

Do you have family here in Ireland? Maybe that's what your really wishing for.

Yeah. You got it right man.

I like it here, but i've got young nieces and a nephew growing up without their uncle....who's more like a big bro. Makes me feel guilty. And my Mother isn't exactly getting younger.

I never thought I was big into the whole family thing, until I moved away....2 and a half years ago.

• Advertisement

Yeah. You got it right man.

I like it here, but i've got young nieces and a nephew growing up without their uncle....who's more like a big bro. Makes me feel guilty. And my Mother isn't exactly getting younger.

I never thought I was big into the whole family thing, until I moved away....2 and a half years ago.

So you think you'll come home for good?

If your feeling that strong of a pull, then maybe that's what you should be doing someday at least.

Pointless being someone just for money and good weather if what would truely make you happy is elsewhere.

So you think you'll come home for good?

If your feeling that strong of a pull, then maybe that's what you should be doing someday at least.

Pointless being somewhere just for money and good weather if what would truely make you happy is elsewhere.

Ah, I'll be going home, for sure. But the problems there make me really reluctant....I don't fancy getting off a plane all happy and then having no money.

My missus is from here, and she is dying to go back to Ireland....this bleedin' recession is a serious spanner in the works.

But either way, this'll be my last Christmas in Brazil....that's for sure!

But either way, this'll be my last Christmas in Brazil....that's for sure!

The recession in Ireland is quite strange. It's not as bad in as many ways as a lot of people are saying.

I was in town earlier and the place in packed.

People going mad like it was Christmas Eve. No kidding.

I just think the world was living on credit for too long and so when all this stuff gets sorted, things will pick back up again.

It's a recession for sure and a courier business I was involved in went under, but it's not a recession like the 80's one that's for sure.

I'd say after two years things will be good again and much more secure as I don't think private indivduals, small businesses or even banks will be able to blindly borrow beyond their means to that same degree ever again.

Course I could be wrong :D

So come home soon and get your girlfriend to bring her sister with her ;)

The recession in Ireland is quite strange. It's not as bad in as many ways as a lot of people are saying.

I was in town earlier and the place in packed.

People going mad like it was Christmas Eve. No kidding.

I just think the world was living on credit for too long and so when all this stuff gets sorted, things will pick back up again.

It's a recession for sure and a courier business I was involved in went under, but it's not a recession like the 80's one that's for sure.

I'd say after two years things will be good again and much more secure as I don't think private indivduals, small businesses or even banks will be able to blindly borrow beyond their means to that same degree ever again.

Course I could be wrong :D

So come home soon and get your girlfriend to bring her sister with her ;)

Herself only has a brother, and he's pretty chubby AND fairly gorilla-esque, as regards body hair. You still interested!?

Interestingly you echo what my gf says, and it's me being the negative nelly.

Honestly, I think I've just got too comfortable here....but we are fairly young, no kids, no debts, no nothing really.....so I think i'll be going back soon.

sorry about the 'sister'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Daragh184

The bus service in Dublin is a funking joke. There's never a bus when u need one and when u do actually get on one it's has a loads of skangers at the back drinking and playing crap music

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Daragh184 wrote: »
    The bus service in Dublin is a funking joke. There's never a bus when u need one and when u do actually get on one it's has a loads of skangers at the back drinking and playing crap music

This is such a joke. Try living in any other part of Ireland and see what the bus service is like. The bus service is so good in Dublin the greens have based their entire transportation policy on it, forgetting that most people don't have access to a bus every fifteen minutes going to more places than you can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Once again, the retort of "yeahbut it's worse in <insert place here>" doesn't make the original statement any less true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Twin-go wrote: »
    We really do live in a sh1t hole of a country, sh1tty weather, floods, cost of living, peado priests, peado sports coaches, knackers, scumbags, crappy roads, VAT @21.5%, VRT, corruption, bankers, developers, Brian Cowen, Mary Harney, Berttie, Charlie, John O'Donough, IRA, Sinn Fein, FF, €5 pints, Carbon Tax, Airport Tax, Aer Lingus, AIB, BOI, Anglo............

Feel free to add your own. Anything the frustrates you about our "Lovely" Green Isle

and exactly who is forcing you to stay? Do something to improve it or leave your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Once again, the retort of "yeahbut it's worse in <insert place here>" doesn't make the original statement any less true.

There's bBuses every 15 to 30 minutes, I've never found somewhere even as far out as Meath that wasn't served, doubling up on a lot of directions so you're not limited to one bus, they put on extra buses if a route is particularly busy, drivers well used to tourists asking for directions. That's not to mention the help for people with disabilities. A friend in a wheelchair has only found one bus ever that didn't have a ramp in Dublin, and then the driver radio'ed into the station they made sure the next bus coming did have a ramp. Dublin bus is great, and even better when compared to buses in other places in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Buceph wrote: »
    There's bBuses every 15 to 30 minutes, I've never found somewhere even as far out as Meath that wasn't served, doubling up on a lot of directions so you're not limited to one bus, they put on extra buses if a route is particularly busy, drivers well used to tourists asking for directions. That's not to mention the help for people with disabilities. A friend in a wheelchair has only found one bus ever that didn't have a ramp in Dublin, and then the driver radio'ed into the station they made sure the next bus coming did have a ramp. Dublin bus is great, and even better when compared to buses in other places in Ireland.

I don't know what Dublin you're living in, but i hope to visit it some day.
    It sounds magical.

Advertisement