Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Worst Car Maker ever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

plissken wrote: »
    Really, so you don't rate the Bugatti Veyron :eek:

That'd just end up in a lake somewhere :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

That'd just end up in a lake somewhere :pac:

Brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

tuamboy wrote: »
    Sorry ta interupt ye but the worst car has to be vw golf mk4 IMO...

i own a 94 honda civic dohc vtec sir and my family all had civic's tru the years so we love jap cars and not really in to the germans sorry lads i know alot of wud have golfs r know some one with one but there slow as christmas
    My fathers car is a 1.4 mk4 golf, its slow but extremely reliable, 230'000 miles and no hiccups. Do you know what dohc stands for and how does it operate, also vtec, do you understand it?
    Theres nothing special about that, you can get them in lots of engines including fiesta's. I was driven around in one of them honda civic dohc vtec for a while and the quality of it was absolutely bollox and had a few problems not engines problems though.

@OP come on, its the Lada!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Tragedy wrote: »
    Vauxhall's are by and large manufactured in England(as are Irish opels, right?)

I think they only produce Astras in Ellesmere Port now, Luton (their bigger plant) stopped producing cars in 2002.
    Imagine the shame of telling someone you drive a Daewoooooooooooooooo Tacuma/Nubira/Leganza. "Oh but it's a chevrolet!" ... really?
    The Opel Antara is also made by GM Daewoo.

I vote for Yema Auto, makers of a Subaru Forester knock-off based on the Austin Montego platform:

chengduf99-b.jpg

Pretty much their entire lineup consists of Maestro/Montego clones, as they own the original tooling now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'd consider the swift sport the best supermini around at the moment.

Well you'd be wrong then. Fiat Abarth probably holds that title.
    Suzuki Swift Sport vs Abarth 500

The Answer

Abarth 500 is noticeably faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Kia/Hyundai for me.

Nothing but generic copies of cars that have been produced years before them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mixer101 wrote: »
    Fix It Again Tomorrow

Worst pile of muck to ever come out of a factory.
    Pure unadulterated SH1TE on wheels (as long as the wheels manage to stay attached to the rest of the excrement)

I'd expect you've never actually driven one, let alone owned one; or if you have it was a Mk1 Punto 55 S bought on the 99 quid a week scheme and never services.

Additionally, if you'd read the first post, reliability is specifically excluded.

Going on what this thread is *ACTUALLY* about, Daewoo/"Chevrolet" have to win it. They have never made an interesting car. They have never made a car that advanced car design or engineer. They have never made a car that advanced motoring. They've made boring, lifeless boxes and thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

What about our very own

The Shamrock was a car produced in Ireland in the 1950s.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Renault - Full of great ideas that never fecking work. You might say the new megane and lagunas are different, but people say that about all new model renaults, in a few years they'll be bollixed, windows wont go up/down, turbos will go, clutches will go, and cost about 5 grand to replace cos its a special pneumatic electro hypo thingy - their just feckin sh1t.
    There.I.Said.It.:D

gleep wrote: »
    Renault.....

I'm a mechanic and am sickened when I have to work on a Renault, they are hateful pieces of sh!t - I don't think anyone will dispute that.

But how many other manufacturers make a mid-engined, rear-wheel-drive, hot-hatch?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

gleep wrote: »
    Renault - Full of great ideas that never fecking work. You might say the new megane and lagunas are different, but people say that about all new model renaults, in a few years they'll be bollixed, windows wont go up/down, turbos will go, clutches will go, and cost about 5 grand to replace cos its a special pneumatic electro hypo thingy - their just feckin sh1t.
    There.I.Said.It.:D

Please read the original post - lets not get bogged down in reliability sh*te - as enthusiast it should be well down the list of what really matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I'll go along with whoever said Daewoo. I remember the noise my old Lanos made. I needed huge speakers to drown out motorway noise and huge amounts of courage on wet roundabouts. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

coolbeans wrote: »
    Renault's been covered already.

And i'll cover it again, horrible soulless cars, electrically and mechanically woeful. After that any modern VW, Mercedes, Opel, Toyota or Nissan.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lotusflower

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Opel - in my opinion Opel / Vauxhall have done nothing for motoring bar provide mediocre sh*te for people who couldn't give a fiddlers.

Didn't the opel insignia win a best car award on topgear? My dad's always had an opel and i love them! Though tbh vauxhall are nowhere near the same. has to be proper german built! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

But how many other manufacturers make a mid-engined, rear-wheel-drive, hot-hatch?!
    Apparently by accident, as they thought the VW Lupo 3L was really going to have a 3-litre engine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I vote for Yema Auto, makers of a Subaru Forester knock-off based on the Austin Montego platform:

chengduf99-b.jpg

Pretty much their entire lineup consists of Maestro/Montego clones, as they own the original tooling now

It's worse than that, it's based on the montego van, rather than the saloon :eek:

jiefang_02.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Didn't the opel insignia win a best car award on topgear? My dad's always had an opel and i love them! Though tbh vauxhall are nowhere near the same. has to be proper german built! :)

Hate to burst your bubble but any opels sold here are made on the same production lines as vauxhalls. Only difference is the badge

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

FIAT, the makers of the super YUGO!!!!

I was 17 and learning to drive, my grandad said he was buying himself a brand new car, and that as he hardly used it, i could take it out whenever he wasn't in it, awesome....or so i thought!!

Passed the old test then went away for a week, came back, and he'd bought a brand spankin new.......FECKIN YUGO!!!!!!!!

It was a complete pile of crap, a box with wheels, over the next 4 years he must have spent the same as he bought it for on repairs.

So therefore, my vote goes to FIAT(I think they made the yugo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

04vauxhallopelfronteravvj9.jpg?w=425&h=579

Greatwall cars from China are some of the worst cars I've ever come across in my life. Like how can you make an Opel Frontera worse than the original!!!! Without doubt the worst car I was ever in :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Magnus wrote: »
    refueling the car required lifting the hood, filling the tank with 24 liters of gasoline, then adding two-stroke oil and shaking it back and forth to mix.

:D:D:D How bloody cool is that. Better than a flower on a dashboard or a curry hook :p:D:pac:

02142005_beetle.jpg

29092009439.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Tata? Although Peugeot has had some fall from grace

scudzilla wrote: »

That would be Zastava who based their cars on old Fiats just like many other eastern block brands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

wasn't there a sh*tty make called Talbot back in the 1970-80s ??

philstar wrote: »
    wasn't there a sh*tty make called Talbot back in the 1970-80s ??

Last of the Rootes group brands before it became completely subsumed into Peugeot. The Peugeot 309 was originally supposed to be the Talbot Arizona.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

scudzilla wrote: »
    FIAT, the makers of the super YUGO!!!!

I was 17 and learning to drive, my grandad said he was buying himself a brand new car, and that as he hardly used it, i could take it out whenever he wasn't in it, awesome....or so i thought!!

Passed the old test then went away for a week, came back, and he'd bought a brand spankin new.......FECKIN YUGO!!!!!!!!

It was a complete pile of crap, a box with wheels, over the next 4 years he must have spent the same as he bought it for on repairs.

The Yugo was a second-hand Fiat design, bastardised but it sure as hell wasn't a Fiat. Not built by them, not built with their parts, not sold by them, etc.

And again, read the first post - its not about reliability! Although Zastava (the people that made the Yugo) could easily be nominated anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Is there any point in mentioning Iranian or Eastern Bloc manufacturers that are long gone and that no-one heard of anyway?

JHMEG wrote: »
    Apparently by accident, as they thought the VW Lupo 3L was really going to have a 3-litre engine!

It's still more of jump than was ever made in the history of Kia/Hyundai or Kia/Chevrolet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

My poor Daewoo Lanos is getting a real bashing on this thread:o...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭mondeo

Years back a friends mother drove a "Lada Samara" 1.2L and it was a prize winning junk box.. I have been to St Petersburg Russia and I love it there many times over but I find it frustrating to see "Lada Pride" events on daily basis there. They pick Lada over Bmw's etc.. Characters :D

FIAT....Oh god these cars I don't know where to begin....The only Fiat I ever liked was the "early 80's Ritmo" Everything else will break after 2.5 yrs of ownership. Never before have I seen so many blown hg's in my life then that of the Punto... at 55k miles your guaranteed a coolant explosion.

Opel/Vaux....Always hated them especially the boxy Nova.

Hyundai/Kia/Daewoo/Chevy(the euro crap box versions).....All four nasty tasteless Rubbish washing machines. Their cheap for a reason, a real prized recession car.

• Advertisement

mondeo wrote: »
    FIAT....Oh god these cars I don't know where to begin....The only Fiat I ever liked was the "early 80's Ritmo" Everything else will break after 2.5 yrs of ownership. Never before have I seen so many blown hg's in my life then that of the Punto... at 55k miles your guaranteed a coolant explosion.

Yet another person that didn't read the first post about reliability :rolleyes:

Also, the '05 and '06 both with >100k on them and the '04 with 60,000 miles on it my brother has would like to disagree with you, although seeing as you appear to be stuck in about 1997, that might be hard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement