Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Worst Car Maker ever

Options
  • 01-12-2009 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

Inspired by the Top Gears/ Boards Best Car Maker ever how about a thread devoted to the brands that have done nothing what so ever for motoring. The brand that despite making loads and loads of cars never really took motoring forward.

Please don't start Alfa bashing, I know the boardsies are besotted with reliability, but there really is alot more to cars than that and there really is alot more to car companies than the last 20 yrs !

I'm gonna kick it off with my opinion.

Opel - in my opinion Opel / Vauxhall have done nothing for motoring bar provide mediocre sh*te for people who couldn't give a fiddlers.
    I've yet to see Opel produce something innovative - I notice even their latest advert uses a German slogan. Wow - now why has nobody ever thought of that before !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Vx220? Nova? Manta? Lotus Carlton?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Daewoo have made some horendous sh1te....

The City Rover was the biggest joke ever....

Buick are pretty awful too....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Daewoooooooooooooooooooooooo. Imagine the shame of telling someone you drive a Daewoooooooooooooooo Tacuma/Nubira/Leganza. "Oh but it's a chevrolet!" ... really? Does it have a v8 hemi, or a straight six? Then it's not a real chevvy, is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Tragedy wrote: »

VX220 = Lotus
    Nova = sh*te ( had one )
    Manta = sh*te
    Lotus Carlton = its in the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Tragedy wrote: »

Manta - far too tail happy
    VX220 - Its made by Lotus
    Lotus Carlton - well its a Lotus, isn't it?

Opel were the manufacturer I thought of when I was the thread title.
    Daewoo would also be a contender for the title here, cheap cars but not even good cheap like Fiats would be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

RobAMerc wrote: »
    VX220 = Lotus
    Nova = sh*te ( had one )
    Manta = sh*te

I have to agree with you...Opel are one of those manufacturers you wouldnt give two sh1tes about if it never existed. Has contributed sweet f all...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'm with RobAMerc on this one.

Up until the Insignia it appears to me that Opel/Vauxhall have had a look what Ford have done, then tried to copy it, making it cheaper but worse.

As long as it was cheaper they were selling cars, and a lot of them have been awful.

Insignia breaks the mould though, and hopefully the new Astra will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Folks I drive a opel corsa 1.2, Its not the hottest car but extreamly reliable. If it breaks down tonight yer all dead for the jinx! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Opel - in my opinion Opel / Vauxhall have done nothing for motoring bar provide mediocre sh*te for people who couldn't give a fiddlers.
    I've yet to see Opel produce something innovative - I notice even their latest advert uses a German slogan. Wow - now why has nobody ever thought of that before !

+1

Have never and will never own one :) Id rather watch me money float down the jacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭mixer101

Fix It Again Tomorrow

Worst pile of muck to ever come out of a factory.
    Pure unadulterated SH1TE on wheels (as long as the wheels manage to stay attached to the rest of the excrement)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

Another one for Opel here. Drove a 2004 vectra for a year and a half and it broke my heart. Never again! it's not just me though, one or two of my mates who drive newish Opels say the same...

VX220 = Lotus
    Nova = sh*te ( had one )
    Manta = sh*te
    Young lads absolutely loved Nova's, so they did something right.

And I think every manufacturer has used external firms to design/develop models(whether existing or new)

Renault, Mercedes, Fiat, Alfa to name but a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Proton!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Kia - The interior is made from a similar plastic that holds each lare of biscuits in a tin of Kimberly and the body uses the same material as the buscuit tin itself. They need a 7 year warranty for a reason plus after about 6 months the warranty is worth more than the car.

Toyota now = Boring. they need to bring back the likes of the Celica, MR2 and Supra)

Nissan = Responsible for the Micra, need I say more?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I think people are being over critical of Opel.......

all other manufacturers are similar...... a lot of their great cars are collaboration with subsideries of the main parent or outside companies....

Worst car manufacturer ......

Daewoo comes to mind.... alright......
    VW is also there...... there cars bore the pants off me..... seriously boring....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

mixer101 wrote: »
    Fix It Again Tomorrow

Pure unadulterated SH1TE on wheels (as long as the wheels manage to stay attached to the rest of the excrement)

I agree with you ... FIAT are crap.

next has to be Renault, I had a 2002 Laguna, after that I promised never to get another Renault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Que lots of people commenting on brands they have never owned......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Can't think of any renault that i'd be remotely interested in, but that might just be my age talking.

Fix It Again Tomorrow

For me, lack of engineering ambition is probably the worst offence for a manufacturer, and the FIAT group can't be accused of this.

I'd be more inclined to point to some of the newer manufacturers - Kia, Daewoo, and (particularly) Ssanyong. Have not made any contribution to the development of the automobile, and looks like they have no intention of doing so, just turning a profit from rehashing the innovation of others.

Fix It Again Tomorrow

As I said - its not about reliability and it also shouldn't be about the last few years.

Fiat have a superb motoring history - lots of classics produced and lots of great cars under their belts.

I'd have them well in the top 15 greats!

Can't think of any renault that i'd be remotely interested in, but that might just be my age talking.

Take a look back at the 5 Gordini, 5 GT Turbo, Clio 16v, Clio 172, 182 etc and at the current crop, hot Meganes are said to be cracking cars ( no experience of them ).

Renault have a fine history of fine sports cars for the masses.

No way I can agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Suzuki, witless dull motoring. Opel have produced the Senator, the Monza and the Manta all of which have some merit.

Kia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Take a look back at the 5 Gordini, 5 GT Turbo, Clio 16v, Clio 172, 182 etc and at the current crop, hot Meganes are said to be cracking cars ( no experience of them ).

Renault have a fine history of fine sports cars for the masses.

No way I can agree.
    Fair enough. All bar the hot clios (which I forgot) were before my time. I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Lada ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,844 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Proton!
    Mr.David wrote: »
    Daewoo have made some horendous sh1te....

Anything Malaysian or Korean. Pretty much anything Asian really.

*runs away fast - the Toyotabois are coming :D*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

British Leyland et al produced some awful rubbish down the years.

The Opel Omega was a highly competent car, not that far back. And the Vauxhall Senator was also a lot of motor for the money on the used market.

Renault were always one of the major players when it came to hot hatches and still are.

Fiat had the Coupe and the Barchetta in more recent times. The Dino and 130 Coupe amongst others are all time classics. In fact even the old boss of Bristol cars drove a 125 as his everyday transport and drives a new 500 nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Quite a lot of people talking shtie on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,742 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Fix It Again Tomorrow

I love silly provocative opinions. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Opel, like Audi, aren't really a manufacturer in their own right. Before GM took them over in the 1920's they might have been, but a lot of their cars are sold identically around the world under GM's various brands. I also don't understand what it is that makes the English think Vauxhall is a brand of their own when really they are just another one of GM's brands used around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Anything French.

• Advertisement

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Opel, like Audi, aren't really a manufacturer in their own right. Before GM took them over in the 1920's they might have been, but a lot of their cars are sold identically around the world under GM's various brands. I also don't understand what it is that makes the English think Vauxhall is a brand of their own when really they are just another one of GM's brands used around the world.
    Why did Irish people think Jordan were an Irish F1 team? :p

Vauxhall's are by and large manufactured in England(as are Irish opels, right?)
    A lot of the cars receive significant input based on what they think English buyers want.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement