Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 Hour Study Space

Options
  • 30-11-2009 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

I'm in! :cool:

Some people don't seem to understand the rule of silence still stands after 10pm :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Muffin top

Tried it out myself, it actually isn't 24 hour. They close it round 7am or at least they did when I was in. It's still a welcome improvement though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I suppose it's different for me since I'm living at home, but I don't really see the point of a study space that has no access to books. Do most people not have a decent study area wherever they're living?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

It varies from place to place. Sometimes the rooms are too small to have a desk in them, and it doesn't work well trying to study/work in a common area. Other times, there is a space to work, but the house is to noisy to study in.
    And then there are some people who find it hard to study at home and therefore prefer to work in the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I suppose it's different for me since I'm living at home, but I don't really see the point of a study space that has no access to books. Do most people not have a decent study area wherever they're living?

It's far easier to study in a library when there's very few distractions

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

convert wrote: »
    And then there are some people who find it hard to study at home and therefore prefer to work in the library.

I'd venture to say I find it impossible to study at home, just can't muster it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

devinejay wrote: »
    I'd venture to say I find it impossible to study at home, just can't muster it.

I'm more or less the same, but unless I can gets books on LEN, which I rarely can, I can pretty much only study in the library. So for me anyway, the study space isn't much use. I'd prefer longer hours in the library TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

Although I'm no longer a member of college, I'm glad to hear this has finally been opened. A world class uni should have 24hr study spaces.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

charmer wrote: »
    I'm in! :cool:

Some people don't seem to understand the rule of silence still stands after 10pm :mad:

Soem people dont understand the rule of silence at all.
    Take the orientation space for example..we often get several groups of people hanging around chatting,laughing and talking on thier phones..its a bad bit of design which means sound travels very well from the area to the lecky and up the stairs into the berkeley..have some consideration or at least read the signs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭charmer

Degsy wrote: »
    Soem people dont understand the rule of silence at all.
    Take the orientation space for example..we often get several groups of people hanging around chatting,laughing and talking on thier phones..its a bad bit of design which means sound travels very well from the area to the lecky and up the stairs into the berkeley..have some consideration or at least read the signs!!

Another thing that really grinds my gears... why can't people KEEP RIGHT on the stairs?! or at least not stop halfway up to exchange gossip about being "soooo drunk last noight".. yeah take yer time it's not like we have lectures to get to :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Nope. I prefer to keep the two apart, my room is a place for me to relax sleep and not associate it with college. No desk or space for one in my room anyway. And the sitting room is mostly taken up by my housemates.

If you find noise levels in the library difficult I would strongly recommend earplugs. Seriously, can't hear a thing! My only problem with the 24 hour space is I find the printer in there works most of the time but its hard to get a computer with people using them for facebook etc. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Anybody know if this is open on a Saturday, past the 4 o clock closing time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

It is, but it is packed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

saw a big guy with a beard nearly throwing his toys out of his cot because someone was using his desk on the ussher ground floor. It was like watching kevin the teenager (harry enfield) he was all huffy and had to sit in the next desk... man everything he had was fastened with the worllds longest zips.. arrgh. and on wednesday I was treated to 3 non blondes talking about like...shoes OMG.. on the 4th floor ussher. I can't study in that place-it'd be easier in a pub

steveone wrote: »
    saw a big guy with a beard nearly throwing his toys out of his cot because someone was using his desk on the ussher ground floor. It was like watching kevin the teenager (harry enfield) he was all huffy and had to sit in the next desk... man everything he had was fastened with the worllds longest zips.. arrgh. and on wednesday I was treated to 3 non blondes talking about like...shoes OMG.. on the 4th floor ussher. I can't study in that place-it'd be easier in a pub

AGAIN. Earplugs people. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Went in one evening around 11 to check my email and the place was completely full.

The motivation of others depresses me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Just went over after the libraries closed at 5pm, totally packed... People were even sitting on the floor. :/

Now I am attempting to study in a society room, but I know it's not going to end well. :(

Just went over after the libraries closed at 5pm, totally packed... People were even sitting on the floor. :/

Now I am attempting to study in a society room, but I know it's not going to end well. :(

I arrived about half an hour ago, got a place straight away. Seem to be a few empty spaces dotted around the place now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

I think its a stupid idea, its encouraging all night studying almost. Better off getting a decent nights sleep and working during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I arrived about half an hour ago, got a place straight away. Seem to be a few empty spaces dotted around the place now...
    I probably just got unlucky because all the libraries had just closed, and peope probably, (as I inteded to do) moved there.

And Groinshot, at least it provides somwhere TO study during the day. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I'm sure most people don't like putting things in their ears.

And I don't see why anyone should have to either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Mark200 wrote: »

In fairness, even if everyone in the library was completely silent there would still be a fair amount of ambient noise. I usually just wear my noise canceling headphones and I'm grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I have to agree with Mark200 on this. Dealing with shuffling papers, creaky chairs, the odd text or two is one thing. Moronic dopes acting like they were in primary school are another.

I'll sooner go to hell than wear earplugs for a prat like that in a study area. And tbh I don't think I'd have much problem telling him/her where to go either.

phlegms wrote: »
    In fairness, even if everyone in the library was completely silent there would still be a fair amount of ambient noise. I usually just wear my noise canceling headphones and I'm grand.

this was my point
    I have to agree with Mark200 on this. Dealing with shuffling papers, creaky chairs, the odd text or two is one thing. Moronic dopes acting like they were in primary school are another.

I'll sooner go to hell than wear earplugs for a prat like that in a study area. And tbh I don't think I'd have much problem telling him/her where to go either.

Good for you, need more people like that telling idiots when to STFU in a study space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

No.
    phlegms wrote: »
    I usually just wear my noise canceling headphones and I'm grand.

lol bose

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

I was waiting for Baza to say something!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

42 dB isolation ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Baza210 wrote: »
    lol bose

Shure :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

They could be a bit more clear about exactly when the room opens as a 24hr study space (is, not during the day). I'm sitting at a PC right beside the dopor from the comp room to the 24hr space and a lot of students come in trying to access the room from here.

I don't know why they even lock that door during the day, seems like it would make things a bit easier for everyone...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Because it's part of the library during the day, so to stop people nicking books or sneaking in I guess.

Advertisement