Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 Hour Study Space

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Because it's part of the library during the day, so to stop people nicking books or sneaking in I guess.

Knew there was a stupidly obvious reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

AGAIN. Earplugs people. Seriously.

Earplugs? My understanding was that it was a library and users were required to be silent. the onus is not on me to wear earplugs. I wear them on a motorbike- I have no intention of listening to myself swallowing for the extent of time I am in there.

That is a typically Irish example of capitulating to those who are in the wrong.

zips n' clips n things are not an issue.tantrums etc are.
    today for example there were a group of students on the ground floor (basement ussher)- all giddy girls... this time they were having a meeting no less. "do it this way"- "do it that way" while one of them was making christmas cards with a scissors and coloring crayons. Jesus It was like being in a creche.

Earplugs?

ha
    supply them free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

steveone wrote: »
    Earplugs? My understanding was that it was a library and users were required to be silent. the onus is not on me to wear earplugs. I wear them on a motorbike- I have no intention of listening to myself swallowing for the extent of time I am in there.

That is a typically Irish example of capitulating to those who are in the wrong.

today for example there were a group of students on the ground floor (basement ussher)- all giddy girls... this time they were having a meeting no less. "do it this way"- "do it that way" while one of them was making christmas cards with a scissors and coloring crayons. Jesus It was like being in a creche.

Earplugs?

ha
    supply them free

Once again: Ambient Noise.
    Libraries have a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

phlegms wrote: »
    Shure :cool:

Shure do ANC? Also, Etymotic till I die.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

The "AGAIN. Earplugs people. Seriously." comment came in reply to someone complaining about people talking....

And you get used to ambient noise. Just like you don't realise how noisy your house actually is until the electricity goes for a short while and then comes back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

steveone wrote: »

Earplugs?

ha
    supply them free
    Mark200 wrote: »
    The "AGAIN. Earplugs people. Seriously." comment came in reply to someone complaining about people talking....

And you get used to ambient noise. Just like you don't realise how noisy your house actually is until the electricity goes for a short while and then comes back.

WTF I made a simple suggestion to wear earplugs and im getting torn apart! Youd swear i suggested you to stick hot needles in to your eyes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

WTF I made a simple suggestion to wear earplugs and im getting torn apart!

And I hope you've learned your lesson about trying to help others! Shame on you...

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

I'm in the Ussher now, don't really know where cause I just sorta wandered in, and it's ten times quieter than the Ham! Is moaning about the noise in the 24hr job by Ham standards or by Ussher standards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Baza210 wrote: »
    Shure do ANC? Also, Etymotic till I die.

I dont know if it is specifically ANC, but when ever I have them in I cant hear nada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

shay_562 wrote: »
    And I hope you've learned your lesson about trying to help others! Shame on you...

Oh lesson learned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Ambient noise is not the problem, the problem is people talking, shouting, just generally being inconsiderate pricks. Earplugs are not an appropriate answer to this because these people need to learn how to behave in a library, and it's also a fair bit cheaper to tell the few that are causing problems to STFU (or just hit them over the head with a big heavy book) than for everyone who actually wants to study to go out and buy earplugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

People, people, really...whatever happened to a bit of well-placed righteous indignation? It's like the Facebook/Bebo on college computers all over again.

If some idiot BESS girls or whatever are talking inappropriately, and it's bothering you, walk over to them, fix them with your iciest glare and tell them, in the bitchiest tones you can muster [if you're the non-confrontational or retiring type, it helps if you channel all your study-related frustration and stress], that people are trying to study, and do not wish to listen to the inane prattlings of halfwits.

Then raise an eyebrow, turn around and walk back to where you were sitting.

It really is that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Pet wrote: »
    It's like the Facebook/Bebo on college computers all over again.
    This annoys the ****e outa me. Like needing to do some work on a computer but not being able to because someone is "movin on up in farmville!"

Or lecturers who only give powerpoint files to students. Takes like 4 times as long to print in my experience of waiting to print one page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lowetom

I don't understand why people are arguing here. If you can't muster the courage to tell your peers to STFU (and it's not your responsibility to, so you shouldn't necessarily feel bad about it) then get the earplugs in. Those who do speak up are well within their rights to do so, but they'll definitely look like a bit of a prick in some people's eyes.

Nobody has to wear earplugs, and nobody has to tell their peers to keep it down. It's unfortunate that the space is noisy, but it's better than the previous situation if college can't afford library staff at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 for-why?

I was in the ussher basement at 9am this morning, with all the intentions of being highly productive, but had moved to the 4th floor by 9.30 due to the loud voices of the library staff on the bookstacks floor just above. They were being ridiculously loud. I know they're staff etc and were in a staff area, but the sound travels very easily in the ussher, and thought they of all people would stick to the library rules!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

lol @ 24 hour study space closing for almost 2 weeks over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

lol @ cleaning staff needing holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Jonathan wrote: »
    Yeah. Not happy about this. Good thing there aren't any important exams right after Christmas oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Baza210 wrote: »
    lol @ cleaning staff needing holidays

I guess the college can't afford to pay the double/triple time these people would be entitled to over the Christmas holidays. Fair enough.

Larianne wrote: »
    I guess the college can't afford to pay the double/triple time these people would be entitled to over the Christmas holidays. Fair enough.

I don't see why 'Christmas Holidays' should consist of more than three or four days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sd2002

Does anyone know if there's space in the 24hr room at the moment?

Don't want to go into college if I'm not gonna get a seat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

sd2002 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's space in the 24hr room at the moment?

Don't want to go into college if I'm not gonna get a seat!

I'm in here at the mo...*studying*.

Plenty of room.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Groinshot wrote: »
    I think its a stupid idea, its encouraging all night studying almost. Better off getting a decent nights sleep and working during the day.

I think it's nice to give people the option. Everyone is different, some people have jobs and commitments in the day, some people just study better at night. I think it's good they have a 24h space now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Groinshot wrote: »
    I think its a stupid idea, its encouraging all night studying almost. Better off getting a decent nights sleep and working during the day.

Haters gonna hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Haters gonna hate.
    HatersGonnaHate.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hughesga

Anyone know if theres toilets nearby the 24 hour study room? The last time I was there I couldnt find any so I walked as far as the arts block, which was locked and then had to venture to McDonalds on Grafton St. :(

hughesga wrote: »
    Anyone know if theres toilets nearby the 24 hour study room? The last time I was there I couldnt find any so I walked as far as the arts block, which was locked and then had to venture to McDonalds on Grafton St. :(

The Hamilton is open 24 hours a day.. so if you wanted to go there instead of McDonalds you could. McDonalds is probably closer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Mark200 wrote: »
    The Hamilton is open 24 hours a day.. so if you wanted to go there instead of McDonalds you could. McDonalds is probably closer though.

Geography building is the handiest, you can swipe in the side door just off the path on the way to the Hamilton.

Added bonus: bigass skeleton things.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Muffin top

The last time I used this 24 hr room I went off campus to get some food as I was planning on staying for a good while; tried to get back in via front gate and the security guard was all like "the campus is for residents only after hours". :confused: This put an end to my intended study.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Jonathan wrote: »

Honestly, I was more annoyed with the librarians suddenly deciding they were going to go home at 5pm every day this week, despite the library being open until 10pm.

Advertisement