Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 Hour Study Space

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Honestly, I was more annoyed with the librarians suddenly deciding they were going to go home at 5pm every day this week, despite the library being open until 10pm.

Has it been every day? I was in the Hamilton today when they decided to close it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Mark200 wrote: »
    Has it been every day? I was in the Hamilton today when they decided to close it.
    The desk has been closing around 5pm every day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Honestly, I was more annoyed with the librarians suddenly deciding they were going to go home at 5pm every day this week, despite the library being open until 10pm.
    With Dublin Bus pulling the plug on their services at any moment with the weather conditions, I wouldn't blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yeah, no one thought of how the security guards won't even let people onto trinity after 12 midnight when the study room was "opened". Unless you are an on-campus res or a signed-on guest. Not sure if Goldhall counts.

I think students can go back on campus from 7am. So really, it's more a 17-hour study room. And besides, the computer rooms stay open and are empty between 12-7am. May aswell keep it closed along with the rest of college for all the good it does:confused:

The buses shouldn't affect the library, they were only curtailed today out of this week so far?

The desk has been closing around 5pm every day.

Ah right, I thought he meant the library itself (which closed at 5 yesterday)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Yeah, no one thought of how the security guards won't even let people onto trinity after 12 midnight when the study room was "opened". Unless you are an on-campus res or a signed-on guest. Not sure if Goldhall counts.

I think students can go back on campus from 7am. So really, it's more a 17-hour study room. And besides, the computer rooms stay open and are empty between 12-7am. May aswell keep it closed along with the rest of college for all the good it does:confused:

The buses shouldn't affect the library, they were only curtailed today out of this week so far?
    Nobody is going to kick you out at 12 though. If you get in before 12 you can stay for as long as you want. My main gripe is no toilets, which means the small-bladdered among us can't stay for very long after twelve (since one the Pav closes the closest place to go, AFAIK, is the McDonalds/BK on Grafton St?)

However, I do agree that they should let students in after 12. It's ridiculous, there is no reason why they can't just let in anyone with a valid TCD student card. With a place like Halls I can understand why they would toss out anyone without a keycard, but in Trinity itself there is good reason for students to want to enter the campus after 12.

BTW, although much of TCD campus seems to have thawed or been sanded the steps to the 24hr room are still treacherous so be careful walking up.

Libraries closed again at 5 today. In the 24hr room looking around for other people 'studying' on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hughesga

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Geography building is the handiest, you can swipe in the side door just off the path on the way to the Hamilton.

Added bonus: bigass skeleton things.

Cheers, I know where you talkin about. Just hope Ill be able to access it out of normal hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

hughesga wrote: »
    Cheers, I know where you talkin about. Just hope Ill be able to access it out of normal hours.

You can: many's the nocturnal expedition in there I've taken for a study pee...

Nobody is going to kick you out at 12 though. If you get in before 12 you can stay for as long as you want. My main gripe is no toilets, which means the small-bladdered among us can't stay for very long after twelve (since one the Pav closes the closest place to go, AFAIK, is the McDonalds/BK on Grafton St?)
    Is the Hamilton not open 24 hours?

And yeah, library closed at 5, planned to go to the 24 hour study space (but you won't see me on boards cause my laptop isn't on the wireless), got slightly distracted for 2.5 hours, now at home. : (

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Is the Hamilton not open 24 hours?

And yeah, library closed at 5, planned to go to the 24 hour study space (but you won't see me on boards cause my laptop isn't on the wireless), got slightly distracted for 2.5 hours, now at home. : (

Doing Schols? That distraction thing is way worse tha during normal exams.

Never knew the Hamilton was open after hours. It always looks very dark from the outside so I presumed it was closed.

Doing Schols? That distraction thing is way worse tha during normal exams.
    Yeah, though it was honestly a case of not realising where the time went, and by the time I had my bus was in 30 minutes anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Doing Schols? That distraction thing is way worse than during normal exams.

I've only realised this recently, but it definitely is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Never knew the Hamilton was open after hours. It always looks very dark from the outside so I presumed it was closed.

Just swipe in...

Just thought I'd mention the fact that there's vending machines in there too. Which means you can have coffeee and mini cookies, 24 hours a day.

bythewoods wrote: »
    Just swipe in...

Just thought I'd mention the fact that there's vending machines in there too. Which means you can have coffeee and mini cookies, 24 hours a day.
    I'll never leave college again!

Do they turn the heating off on the weekends, or was it just me that thought it was super cold today?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

Do they turn the heating off on the weekends, or was it just me that thought it was super cold today?

I've noticed that before yeah. But also the inherent problem with the 24-hour area is that it's part of an 8-storey building connected by the massive atrium in the middle. Even if they do turn on the heating on that one floor, it'll still be freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Hey, what's the study space like now that a lot of people have finished their exams? Is it still as packed?

Effin Phyisology Viva next week. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

It was very cold in the maclab today. It's usually roasting in there.
    Keeps ya alert though.

• Advertisement

Still pretty packes, but not as much. It's just before 11pm now and it's mostly full but a few spaces available. A few days ago it would have been completely packed.

It was very cold in the maclab today. It's usually roasting in there.
    Keeps ya alert though.
    lol, I made that post in January. : p

Larianne, the Hamilton is pretty empty as of a few days ago (I'm guessing engineers finished?) anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yeah, sorry PFM for bringing this thread up. didn't know whether to start a new one.

I was asking about the Study Space though but if the Hammo Computer Room is now quiet I'll head in there after hours.

Thanks!

Advertisement