Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Through The Wall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Week ending 13th November

Tue: 6.31 miles, 50:41
    Wed: 5 miles in 41:06
    Fri: 8.01 miles in 1:07:19
    Sat: 8.5 miles in 1:09:47

My runs are averaging around 8 min to 8:30 per mile I'd say overall at the moment, which is absolutely fine by me. I have no big goals to hit this side of Christmas other than getting myself back to a good base level of fitness, and bang out a couple of comfortable 10-12 mile runs. I do know I will face the dual challenges of work and the pre-Christmas social life over that period too.

I think taking 2 weeks off running completely will be of long-term benefit to me, however there is some short term pain there, in that it is taking a while to regain the fitness again, even 2 weeks on from that point.

25-35 mpw will be the target for the remainder of November and into early December. I will be focused on enjoying the miles at an easy pace rather than enduring them at a fast pace... or so is my plan anyhow.

Week ending 20th November

Mon: 6.34 miles in 47:05. Solid run, avg pace 7:26/mi
    Tue: 6.47 miles in 47:41. Avg 7:22/mi
    Wed: 6.54 miles in 48:40. Avg 7:27/mi
    Fri: 5.75 miles before work in 43:46. Always find the early morning runs tougher, so averaging 7:35 min miles before work is a reasonable return here.

Away for the weekend then with Mrs Killerz' relations in rural Ontario. Lots of tea, cakes and assorted fancies consumed. Not much exercise.

Sun: 3.11 miles in late afternoon with Mrs Killerz - some interval work for her. 29:06 overall, but good work done in between, with slower rest periods in between and either side bringing the average down. I continued on then for 5.10 miles in 38:20 - avg pace of 7:31/ mile.

Weather has got a good bit colder here over the last wek. Still resisting the running tights, but it'll not be long now - the windchill is shocking! :eek:

Total miles this week: 33.31

Week ending 27th November

Feel a lot more like I'm back to a relatively good level of fitness again. This despite quite a few social functions taking over my life in the run up to Christmas. In many ways, I cant wait until January so that I can build from the start of the year towards a few targets later on in the Spring and beyond.

Mon (Nov 21st): 7.01 miles in 52:22. Avg pace 7:28/mi
    Tue: 7.56 miles; 57:33
    Wed: 5.81 miles; 43:49
    Sat: 10.35 miles; 1:21:09. Avg pace 7:50/mi. What was important about this run was it was the longest one I have done since the marathons in October. Was tired enough at the end, but satisfied overall.
    Sun: 5.01 mile easy run; 37:58

Total miles for the week: 35.74. Very happy with the week.

Week ending 4th December

Another decent enough week, somewhat tempered by the continuing cycle of work and work-related events, which explains the slower times.

Mon: 7.2 miles, 58:02
    Wed: 6.75 miles, 54:17
    Thu: 5.01 miles, 39:03
    Sat: 5k race, Toronto, 19:56 (watch time only, no chip timing). Good for 7th place. Sub 20 was my main aim for this, which I managed. I know I'm capable of 18:33 (PB, Mar 2011) or better, however, I am on a low mileage diet at the moment and with so many other commitments keeping me on my toes, today this would not be a possibility. Ran at a relatively comfortable pace and didnt push things too much. Satisfactory result, all things considered. Mrs Killerz also pulled off a great performance to come home in 26 mins and change, on very little specific training, so very proud of her for that!
    Sun: 6.85 miles in 51:54. Rounding out the week on a cold rainy day in Toronto.

28.91 miles total for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Killerz wrote: »
    Week ending 4th December

Another decent enough week, somewhat tempered by the continuing cycle of work and work-related events, which explains the slower times.

Mon: 7.2 miles, 58:02
    Wed: 6.75 miles, 54:17
    Thu: 5.01 miles, 39:03
    Sat: 5k race, Toronto, 19:56 (watch time only, no chip timing). Good for 7th place. Sub 20 was my main aim for this, which I managed. I know I'm capable of 18:33 (PB, Mar 2011) or better, however, I am on a low mileage diet at the moment and with so many other commitments keeping me on my toes, today this would not be a possibility. Ran at a relatively comfortable pace and didnt push things too much. Satisfactory result, all things considered. Mrs Killerz also pulled off a great performance to come home in 26 mins and change, on very little specific training, so very proud of her for that!
    Sun: 6.85 miles in 51:54. Rounding out the week on a cold rainy day in Toronto.

28.91 miles total for the week.

moving along nicely there mate, good job on the 5k without pushing things - enjoy the rainy days in TO - was -17oC last night when i was running...its going to be a long winter.

• Advertisement

Cheers seany.

-17 at this stage of the year is worrying alright.... It'll be into january by the time we get temps that low (i hope). Its got a little colder since last week, but nothing compared to what you're experiencing.

Killerz

Week ending 11th December

Mon: 6.14 miles, 48:10. Wet evening in Toronto. Got some serious nipple chafe as a result. Not pleasant. Not at all.
    Wed: 6.01 miles in the mid afternoon, 45:37. First outing of the season in the tights!
    Thu: 7.35 miles , 56:49. Very enjoyable run.
    Sat: 8.36 miles, 1:03:41. Avg pace 7:37/mi. Very enjoyable late afternoon run, despite hangover. Got pretty cold towards the end (-7 or so with windchill) - so cold that water was freezing on my running top :eek:
    Sun: 8.15 miles in 1:06:35. Lovely lunchtime run on a crisp sunny, albeit very cold and windy day in Toronto. Avg pace 8:10/mi.

I'm very happy with the week's running. Very productive, and encouraging, especially given the fact that I have been out schmoozing a lot during the week.

Total miles this week: 36.01

Week ending 18th December

Tue: 10.01 miles, 1:13:21. Average pace 7:20/mile. Nice enjoyable run, and pleased with the pace which didnt seem too taxing at all.
    Wed: 6.06 miles in 47:08, avg pace 7:47/mile.
    Thu: 9.26 miles in 1:09:06, avg pace 7:28/mile. Another enjoyable run, finding my niche again!
    Sat: 5 miles in the early evening - 39:13. Really felt the cold on this one and it took me a long time to warm up after. I believe it was into the minus teens celsius when wind chill is factored in.
    Sun: 10.12 miles, 1:25:09, avg pace 8:25/mile.

Overall, I am very pleased with the week's running, just tipping over the 40 mile mark, which is the most I have done since late September. The mileage will probably decrease over the next 2 weeks as I head back to Ireland for Christmas, but I will step back up again on the far side. While it is cold outside, it is generally fairly sunny and bright, and I must say it is a pleasure to be out there.

The running has really helped me through the past week in terms of the amount of partying I've been doing. I really have no more interest in having Christmas pints or after work drinks or any of that nonsense anymore - I have seen far too many beers in the past 2-3 weeks! Bring on the new year and a new slate!

Total miles for the week: 40.45

Week ending 25th December

Tues: 6.12 miles, 47:29
    Weds: 5.7 miles, 44:34, prior to getting a flight home for Christmas.
    Sat: 5 miles in Murroe, Limerick (Mrs. K's homeland). 37:12.

Quiet week from a running standpoint as I head home to Ireland for a couple of weeks over Christmas.

Total miles: 16.82

Week ending 31st December

Mon (Stephen's Day): 5 miles easy in Dublin
    Weds: 5 miles
    Thurs: 10 miles in around 1 hour 30

Total miles this week: 20 (i'm excluding a run I did from Sunday as its New Years' Day and I'll add that to next week's total as part of 2012).

Total miles for 2011:

Call it 1900 I suppose, give or take. Pleased with that total, and I think off hand that its a bit above last year's return

• Advertisement

Review of 2011: Some thoughts on the year

Another good year of progress, although I'd say in terms of giant leaps, my initial feeling had been that 2010 was better for me. In 2010 I went sub 40 in the 10k for the first time, hitting 37:23 in May. I also did my first 2 ultras, including a 50 miler' paced a marathon for the first time and qualified for Boston.

Looking back on 2011, perhaps it was just as good. Down to 18:33 for 5k, 1 podium position, 2 age group awards, marathon time down to 3:01:30 odd, 2 (well almost) marathon majors done and a general improvement in training techniques. So, not too bad!

Top moments of the year (in no particular order):

1. Any number of runs on the trails in Toronto in January and February, crunching through the snow.
    2. Getting on the podium for the first time, in a 10k race in April.
    3. Running the Boston Marathon, and doing it at a leisurely pace, in Irish flag clothing.
    4. Pretty much every moment of the Limberlost 56km ultra-marathon in July
    5. PBs in 5k (March 2011 18:33); 10 miles (August 2011 1:05:32); marathon (May 2011 3:01:34).
    6. Age group awards and high finishes in a number of events
    7. Finishing a marathon one week after the Chicago experience.
    8. Achieving a level of 1900 miles for the year vs 1766 in 2011, but more importantly a higher proportion of quality miles
    9. Pretty much everything about the Boston marathon and the events surrounding it.
    10. The training for Chicago (if not the race itself!)

Disappointments/ Must do Betters of 2011

1. 10k time needs to get back under 38 mins again (was 38:03 in Sept 2011). In fact needs to get closer to 37 flat. Working on this.
    2. 5k time needs to get closer to 18 flat (18:33 currently).
    3. Maybe should have pushed a little harder over the last few kms in Toronto in May to try and get under 3. I was pretty spent though and conditions were nasty.
    4. Reduce alcohol intake. I'm not a youngster anymore.
    5. Review and improve nutrition

2012: Targets for first half of the year

5k: 18:15
    10k: 36:59
    HM: 1:25:00

Lets see how these go!

Week (well, 8 days) ending 8th January 2012

Sun (NY Day): 6 miles out to end of Dun Laoghaire Pier and home again.
    Wed: Nice 6.5 miler back in Toronto after a long day travelling on Tues. 48:08 total or 7:24/ mile.
    Thu: 6.57 miles, 51:20 or 7:49/ mile
    Sat: 12.31 miles, 1:38:25 or 8 min miles. Nice to get a medium length run in again. Conditions were perfect - around +5 degrees and sunny.
    Sun: 9 miles in 1:18:05. 8:40/mile. Early run and nice finish to the week.

Conditions have been great for running since I returned to Toronto. The extreme cold hasnt quite hit (yet!?) and it makes life a lot easier for getting out there on the trails and paths. Long may it continue.

The year kicks off with 40.38 miles clocked to date.

Week (well, 8 days) ending 8th January 2012

Sun (NY Day): 6 miles out to end of Dun Laoghaire Pier and home again.
    Wed: Nice 6.5 miler back in Toronto after a long day travelling on Tues. 48:08 total or 7:24/ mile.
    Thu: 6.57 miles, 51:20 or 7:49/ mile
    Sat: 12.31 miles, 1:38:25 or 8 min miles. Nice to get a medium length run in again. Conditions were perfect - around +5 degrees and sunny.
    Sun: 9 miles in 1:18:05. 8:40/mile. Early run and nice finish to the week.

Conditions have been great for running since I returned to Toronto. The extreme cold hasnt quite hit (yet!?) and it makes life a lot easier for getting out there on the trails and paths. Long may it continue.

The year kicks off with 40.38 miles clocked to date.

Extreme cold? Ye Toronto boys are soft...lol

Has been ok here too so far to be fair, was colder in Montreal over crimbo though.

Good luck in the new year

Long may the 'mild' weather last!

All the best to you too Seany - gonna take another bite at toronto this year? (May or October)?

Long may the 'mild' weather last!

All the best to you too Seany - gonna take another bite at toronto this year? (May or October)?

cheers, plan on targetting a 5k in April,(June 5k might not be running this year) so maybe a half in June, and a 10k in September....might do another marathon next year, ill see hoe the shorter stuff suits me first though before i decide.

most of my training since november has been on a treadmill, ice/snow on the ground here but i did run around my basement carpark last night; 2 levels about 200m around each...be ok for 30-40mins running anyway.

when is your 5k? im using Tergats (from Larry B) training method for it.

seanynova wrote: »
    cheers, plan on targetting a 5k in April,(June 5k might not be running this year) so maybe a half in June, and a 10k in September....might do another marathon next year, ill see hoe the shorter stuff suits me first though before i decide.

most of my training since november has been on a treadmill, ice/snow on the ground here but i did run around my basement carpark last night; 2 levels about 200m around each...be ok for 30-40mins running anyway.

when is your 5k? im using Tergats (from Larry B) training method for it.

Fair enough. Wouldnt fancy all that treadmill training. Hopefully I can avoid it as much as possible this year. I'm planning 5k in March (18th), 10km races in late April and mid May and the Ottawa half in May. I am also following some stuff that Larry kindly provided me with, so if I don't hit my goals its all his fault :p.

What are your targets for the year? Haven't seen much on your log lately, or have you started a new one that I have not yet come across?

Fair enough. Wouldnt fancy all that treadmill training. Hopefully I can avoid it as much as possible this year. I'm planning 5k in March (18th), 10km races in late April and mid May and the Ottawa half in May. I am also following some stuff that Larry kindly provided me with, so if I don't hit my goals its all his fault :p.

What are your targets for the year? Haven't seen much on your log lately, or have you started a new one that I have not yet come across?

thats a nice progression, good to get around to different places while your at this side of the world. is that the young st 10k? supposed to be a big race that.

have been reading a bit about tergats posts and Larrys also, i like the look of it, seams based on strength, should be helpful in keeping the injuries away.

hard to put a time on my 5k yet as it seams the only competitive one will be on just when the snow thaws, so most/all of my speed work will be on treadmill, but will still run outside for the long run and maybe one or two aerobic runs but 90+% will be on the treadmill.
    the half is just to build up a good base before the 10k training but id like to PB it still; sub 81mins?
    ill get the log going soon enough, ill get through a few weeks of quatily training first though, have been running 10weeks in base training, so hopefully i can kick on with the shorter repeats....faster stuff doesnt suit me though, thats for sure!

seanynova wrote: »
    thats a nice progression, good to get around to different places while your at this side of the world. is that the young st 10k? supposed to be a big race that.

have been reading a bit about tergats posts and Larrys also, i like the look of it, seams based on strength, should be helpful in keeping the injuries away.

hard to put a time on my 5k yet as it seams the only competitive one will be on just when the snow thaws, so most/all of my speed work will be on treadmill, but will still run outside for the long run and maybe one or two aerobic runs but 90+% will be on the treadmill.
    the half is just to build up a good base before the 10k training but id like to PB it still; sub 81mins?
    ill get the log going soon enough, ill get through a few weeks of quatily training first though, have been running 10weeks in base training, so hopefully i can kick on with the shorter repeats....faster stuff doesnt suit me though, thats for sure!

There's 2 races down Yonge Street - one on the 22nd April (which is called the Yonge Street 10k) and the other is called the Sporting Life 10k, which is on 13th May. Both are the same route, and there was just the one race up to now, held on the first weekend of May. There was a bit of a bust up between the two and now theres two. I did the race back in 2010 and got a nice result. Great course.

We got a bit of snow and nasty weather here over the past week, but was still able to get a couple of sessions in and a long run. So long may it last. Its the slippy surfaces rather than the cold that annoy me really.

Sub 81 would be nice for the half.... i think i have a bit to go to get there yet!

Week ending 15th January

Still mild early on in the week, but got severely cold towards the end...

Mon: 6.54 miles mid-pace, 7:15/mile, total 47:24
    Tue: 8.56 miles. Had to stop after 3 or so miles as was feeling a bit of a sugar low. One kitkat chunky later and I found my mojo. 7:29/mile total 1:04:02
    Thu: 400m repeats session. Weather was so mild I was able to get to wearing shorts....

2.9km warm up.
    10 x 400m @ 5k pace(around 3:40/km) with 60 seconds recovery:
    • 95 seconds, 165 bpm;
    • 96 seconds, 166 bpm;
    • 100 seconds, 167 bpm;
    • 96, 169 bpm;
    • 94, 170bpm;
    • 93, 166 bpm;
    • 94, 166 bpm;
    • 93, 168 bpm;
    • 93, 167 bpm;
    • 93, 167 bpm;
    2.29km warmdown

10.9km/ 6.77 miles total. Max hr 178 bpm... must have happened sometime on the recovery parts.

Sat: 13.37 miles in freezing conditions. Had to wear a facemask due to -25 celsius with wind chill. 8:49/mile pace, about half on snow packed trail, half on cleared footpaths with some black ice. Nice. Total 1:57:45
    Sun: 9.15 miles, 8:13/mile pace, total 1:15:11. Nice round off to the week, but the cold wind cut the face off me.

44.39 miles total this week. Another happy week.

• Advertisement

Week ending 22nd January

Mon: PMP session:
    1.85 miles warmup; 124 HR; 15:10; 8:12/mi.
    4 miles PMP; 157 HR; 26:59; 6:44/mi.
    2.39 miles warmdown; 152 HR; 17:42; 27:24/mi.
    Total: 59:52; 8.25 miles

Tue: 6.75 miles easy in 51:10
    Thu: 400m repeats session. Weather was a lot colder and snowier than the week before. However, it was like the gods knew that I was going to do an interval session - I was doing my warmup, trudging through snow, then I get to the bit of pavement/trail where I do my repeats and the snow plough had just carved a fresh path through it. Excellent!

2.89km warm up - 14:58.

10 x 400m @ 5k pace(around 3:40/km) with 60 seconds recovery:
    • 100 seconds, 151 bpm;
    • 98 seconds, 154 bpm;
    • 99 seconds, 157 bpm;
    • 95, 160 bpm;
    • 98, 157bpm;
    • 96, 159 bpm;
    • 98, 163 bpm;
    • 97, 161 bpm;
    • 97, 163 bpm;
    • 93, 163 bpm;
    2.81km warmdown, 143 bpm avg

Total 7.24 miles in 55:52
    Thought this session went well at the time but then I compared it against last week's session which looks much better. Could be down to lower temps and patches of ice. Lower HR (albeit marginally) too. Will focus some more for the next session (12 x 400).

Sat: 15.01 miles in 2:06:57. Average pace 8:28/mi. Nice run, still very cold though.
    Sun: 10.7 miles in 1:23:33 avg pace 7:48/mi.

Very satisfactory week. Finding my niche on the speed side of things again. Finding the long runs a little tougher, slowly building them up, tacking on a mile or so per week. Speed sessions going very well though.

Total miles this week: 47.95. Target is to top 50 for next week.

Midweek check in (Mon-Thurs 23-26 Jan):

Weather not too bad this week so far. Cold and windy, but not much ice (if any) to be seen.

Mon: 10 miles total, forgot HR monitor unfortunately:

2 miles warmup @ 7:45 pace;
    6 miles at what was supposed to be marathon pace, but actually is somewhere in between MP and HMP. Was enjoying it, so stuck with the pace. 6:37/mi, total 39:48. Yikes, thats not too far off a sub 40 10km in the middle of a training run!
    2 miles warmdown @ 7:30 pace

PMP section of this started of tough but as with all of my sessions recently, I grew into it.

Tue: 7.6 miles easy, avg pace 7:57/mi for total 1:00:25
    Thu: 400m repeats session. Wet and windy, and actually quite chilly for this one. Was fine overall though.

2.95km warm up - 14:40 (4:58/km, 121 bpm).

Changed things slightly this week to 90 second repeats as I felt I was overcompensating on distance over the past two weeks.
    12 x 90 seconds @ 5k pace(around 3:40/km) with 60 seconds recovery:
    • 408m, 3:45/km; 150 bpm avg;
    • 435m, 3:30/km; 158 bpm;
    • 430m, 3:32/km; 159 bpm;
    • 437m, 3:30/km; 162 bpm;
    • 444m, 3:26/km; 159 bpm;
    • 435m, 3:30/km; 162 bpm;
    • 439m, 3:30/km; 159 bpm;
    • 426m, 3:35/km; 162 bpm
    • 438m, 3:29/km; 162 bpm;
    • 443m, 3:27/km; 163 bpm;
    • 440m, 3:28/km; 163 bpm;
    • 433m, 3:31/km; 163 bpm;
    2.95km warmdown, 140 bpm avg
    Max HR recorded was 172 bpm

Total 8.06 miles in 59:36

Good session. Now stringing those times together without the recovery would be sweet! Just over 7 weeks to the first race of the year for me - 5k.... day after Paddy's Day... Going to be a very quiet day for me on the 17th! :( It will be worth it though!

Week ending 29th January

Just a couple more sessions to add to those covered in the previous log entry above.

Sat: 16.4 miles, 2:13:40. Had to wear ice cleats for around 3 miles which slowed me up. Average pace of 8:09/mile though which is reasonable I think. avg HR 135 bpm; max HR 157
    Sun: 9.6 miles in 1:26:18, avg pace of 8:49/mi, avg HR 131bpm; max HR 151

Another nice week in run land.
    Total miles 51.66 for the week; 184.38 for 2012.

Must put an entry into the 1000 mile challenge now that I think of it!

Just looking back on some of my stats from January 2010 and January 2011 for comparison purposes. Nothing scientific, just interested. In both 2010 and 2011, my initial focus was on long distances, planning for ultras later on in the year. Now, my focus for the first 6 months of 2012 is on the shorter distances.

January 2010
    • Total miles: 150.1 miles
    • Longest run: 19 miles
    • Long run pace for longest run: 8:20/mile
    • Training for (main goal): 50 mile ultra in May
    • Notes: conditions quite snowy, most runs in Dublin during the slippy snowy January of 2010, training slightly affected by move to Canada and poor weather.
    January 2011
    • Total miles: 145.33 miles
    • Longest run: 18 miles
    • Long run pace for longest run: 8:30/mile
    • Training for (main goal): 100 mile ultra in May (did not do, instead did Toronto Marathon in May)
    • Notes: conditions extremely cold, a lot of snow.
    January 2012
    • Total miles: 202.68 miles (this includes runs on 30th and 31st Jan totalling 18 odd miles that I have not yet included in the log). Have to say I was surprised at this and double checked it - a very satisfactory number.
    • Longest run: 16.4 miles
    • Long run pace for longest run: 8:09/mile
    • Training for (main goal): HM in Ottawa in May; 10ks in April and May; 5k in March
    • Notes: conditions have been extremely varied: from -25 to +10 or so; some days are icy, windy and cold; others are like early spring. Hard sessions and long runs have been done in both.
    • Training has been built around 5 runs per week, to include 2 hard sessions, one long(ish) run, and 2 x easy runs between 6 and 10 miles. Enjoying it so far.

Week ending 5th February

Mon: 10.2 miles, total 1:11:40.

MP Session:
    2 miles warmup - 7:51/mi - 15:41; 124bpm
    3 miles - 6:47/mi - 20:26 - 154 bpm
    2 miles - 6:42/mi - 13:27 - 160 bpm
    2 miles - 6:40/mi - 13:24 - 160 bpm

1.2 miles - 7:28/mi - 8:43 - 154 bpm

max HR - 164bpm

Tue: 8.1 miles, 7:42/mi, total 1:02:27
    Thu: 7.3 miles (11.74km), total 53:14

8 x 120 seconds at 5k pace (around 3:40/km) or better repeats session, with 60 seconds recovery each time.

2.95km warm up - 15:01 (5:05/km, 121 bpm).
    • 577m, 3:31/km; 153 bpm avg;
    • 591m, 3:27/km; 163 bpm;
    • 567m, 3:35/km; 163 bpm;
    • 582m, 3:28/km; 166 bpm;
    • 567m, 3:34/km; 165 bpm;
    • 584m, 3:27/km; 167 bpm;
    • 572m, 3:33/km; 167 bpm;
    • 581m, 3:29/km; 169 bpm
    2.91km warmdown, 145 bpm
    Max HR recorded was 174 bpm

Sat: 16.3 miles(after watching Arsenal demolish Blackburn 7-1) at 7:53/mi, total 2:08:21, avg HR 134bpm, max 151bpm
    Sun: 8.6 miles pre-Superbowl, mid-afternoon, with hangover. 1:04:41, avg 7:31/mi, avg HR 131bpm, max 154 bpm

Another good week. Thought the 8 x 2 mins session would be tougher, especially with the 60 minute rests. I mean it was tough, but i feared it more than it actually transpired. I now look forward to 6 x 800m!

50.5 miles this week. Easy week ahead.

Week ending 12th February

Brought my easy week forward a week as was feeling a little tired, and had a long weekend trip to Quebec planned. So all in all it made sense.

Tue: 6.8 miles in 55:07, avg pace 8:06/mi. Morning run. I dont like morning runs.
    Wed: 7.16 miles in 54:43, avg pace 7:39/mi.
    Thu: Another morning run, 6.75 miles in 52: 09, avg pace 7:44/mi.
    Sun: Figured I could be in late at work on Monday evening, and may miss my marathon pace session, so decided to bring it forward to Sunday night. Got back from my long weekend at 9:30 and hit the dreadmill at 10 to do it. First time in about a year I've used the 'mill. Dont like it at all, but it was late, and there was a bit of snow out, so said i'd do it.

Anyhow, 10 miles total, 1 mile warmup (9 mins), 8 miles in 53:40 (6:43/mile avg pace), 1 mile warmdown in 8 mins. I've found that I can be quite stiff the next day or two after using the treadmill and that proved to be the case again this time.

At least I got my session in, I suppose. Was somewhat liberating all the same to wear the singlet and shorts again!

Total miles this week: 30.71

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done on getting that session done under those conditions. Rather you than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done on getting that session done under those conditions. Rather you than me. Interesting that you suffer discomfort after a treadmill session. Might be worth putting in a mirror, to see if you're doing something unnatural, like changing your running style.

Keep up the solid training, spring is coming!

Well done on getting that session done under those conditions. Rather you than me. Interesting that you suffer discomfort after a treadmill session. Might be worth putting in a mirror, to see if you're doing something unnatural, like changing your running style.

Keep up the solid training, spring is coming!

Cheers Krusty. Only after seeing this post now - busy week! I think it may just be something to do with my body's reluctance to work with the treadmill speed/ style. There is a mirror to the side and as much as I could I checked my stride which looked okay. You're right - i'd say my stride is somehow off/ awkward on the treadmill though. If I had to use it regularly, I'd prob pay more attention to it!

Anyhow, i've managed to stay away from the treadmill since.....

• Advertisement

Week ending 19th February

Mon: 8.5 miles easy, 1:02:13
    Tue: 7.85 miles easy, 1:02:22
    Thu: Speed session

8 miles (12.88km), total 58:24

6 x 180 seconds at 5k pace (around 3:36/km) or better repeats session, with 60 seconds recovery each time (increased this to 75 secs on 2 occasions).

3.04km warm up - 14:51 (4:53/km, 115 bpm).
    • 855m, 3:32/km; 160 bpm avg;
    • 868m, 3:29/km; 164 bpm;
    • 837m, 3:36/km; 166 bpm; 75 secs recovery after
    • 853m, 3:32/km; 166 bpm;
    • 845m, 3:35/km; 168 bpm; 75 secs rec
    • 861m, 3:32/km; 166 bpm.
    3.93km warmdown, 144 bpm; 19:51
    Max HR recorded was 177 bpm; avg 144 bpm

Sat: 17.82 miles, 2 hrs 25:27; 8:10/mi; 130bpm avg HR; 151 bpm max HR. Reasonable conditions, nice run, but most of it was on snow or slushy ground, which slowed me down a good bit. Hadnt anticipated running for this long and was fading a lot towards the end, partly due to lack of nutritional products with me.

Sun: 9.1 miles, 1:10:45; 7:47/mi.

Another solid week. Found the 6 x 3 mins the toughest of the interval sessions so far on this training plan. Gearing up for 5 x 1km session now tomorrow. Lovely.

Total miles this week: 51.27

Advertisement