Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Through The Wall

Options
1262728293032»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Singer wrote: »
    I drove past the course a few times, I don't think I saw yourself but everybody out there looked pretty wrecked in the heat :) - congrats on the win! Would you recommend the EOI races?

Thanks and yes I definitely would. I've done a good few marathons with them now at this stage. If you're looking for large scale marathons it wouldn't be for you but if you're looking for simple, affordable events with easy access and a bit of craic they would be worth a look.

Quick catch up again:

Main update was the Le Cheile Track Marathon in Leixlip, took place from 9pm on Friday, 14th July. 98 laps in lane 5. Slogged through this one in 3:26 or something like that. 6th place. I've done this race before and liked it, wasnt that mad on it this time round...

Went down to Fairview parkrun for the inaugural event the next morning. Felt surprisingly okay despite having only finished the marathon at c.12:30 and got to bed around 3am. Finished in 21:39 with the double buggy, good for 23rd place. Great event, and wonderful to see so many at the first running. I'll be back again.

Nothing major in pipeline bar a trio of pacing gigs over next 3 months.

The 11th of August seemed like as good a time as any to post on my log for the first time of 2018! I've not been busy with my log, but just about every other aspect of my life has been, and I am continuing to run.

Quick recap of year to date:
    Bohermeen Half Marathon, March: 1:19 (PB);
    London Marathon, April: 3:16 (target was 2:50; came down with a bug in the week leading up to it + hot temps on day made this an absolute slog. Happy to finish in the end);
    Raheny 2 mile RR; July 2018: 11:04 (PB).

Pacing:
    Clontarf Half Marathon July: 1:40
    Irish Runner 10 Mile July: 1:20
    Rock n Roll Half (tomorrow): 1:30
    Dublin Marathon (October): 3:20

Other plans for the rest of the year:
    Grant Thornton 5k, September

Otherwise, I am just focusing on getting out, keeping the mileage ticking over, with the odd bit of speed thrown in. No major long distance racing in mind until early 2019 I would expect.

JK

In an effort to log more regularly, here I am again with another post!

Rock n Roll pacing (1:30) was tough going last Sunday. The nature of the course made it difficult for us pacers - we knew we would lose some time on the uphills but couldn't really calculate accurately how or where this might be made up coming back down and without burning off the pace group. Up Knockmaroon was a killer, but the hill then at Anglers Rest really stung a lot of those in our group. The downhills were too steep to really make gains. Managed to get in comfortably under 1:30 in the end, and had a decent group with us. 3 miles either side made it 19 miles for me for the day.

Easy runs Monday and Tuesday of c6.5 miles each. Three runs on Weds - 6.8 into work, 4.3 at lunch hosting a run group session with colleagues, and 5 miles home, making it a 16.1 mile day.

Social events and related recovery made for a non running Thursday and Friday, but got 5 miles in on Saturday incorporating a 18:25 parkrun, good for 10th at St Anne's. Hoping to get out for a few easy miles later on today to wrap up the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

That's more like it, appreciate the effort.

What's the plan for the rest of the year? I see a 5km and pacing DCM, anything else lined up?

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    That's more like it, appreciate the effort.

What's the plan for the rest of the year? I see a 5km and pacing DCM, anything else lined up?

Thank you aquinn!

Plans: try to log more, try to post on other logs and threads more. And to read them! Also the kids turn 4 in October so you can forget Team Ingebrigsten, it's Team Killeen at junior parkrun! Nothing else lined up for this year, but will maybe get an EOI marathon in late in the year to keep the fitness, or something to keep me ticking over towards a spring race. Of course I change my mind a lot, so it could all change :)

Realised it's been two weeks since my last post so here I am again! Couple of decent long runs before work over the last two Fridays of 18 and 16 miles respectively which have been great to get done. Out the door at 6am, then picking up FBOT at 7 and onwards towards work.

Other than that, I've been leading a lunchtime training group in Herbert Park, involving some interval sessions etc. In an out of work clocks the miles up towards 50 most weeks.

5k Corporate Challenge this Weds, good group from work doing it. Always a great atmosphere. Have a number in my mind, hope I fare a little better than last year where I faded badly.

The time on my mind for Weds night was 17:30 - I did a 5 x 3 min session at this pace (or faster) with no issues last Weds. I wasn't anywhere near it. I think I was 18:21 or something like that... doesnt really matter anyhow. Disappointing performance but perhaps just not able to keep focus on many aspects of life demanding my attention at the moment. Nonetheless, I managed to contribute to a prize winning team, and again Bank of Ireland dominated the mixed competition with the winning team and another in the top 5. Great strength in depth there and delighted to be part of the success.

Next up for me is the EOI Clontarf Midweek Half next weds morning. Treating it as a long run.

On another note, I did the full health check there with Mater Private a couple of weeks back - all clear etc., but would recommend it for peace of mind.

East of Ireland Midweek Marathon, 12th September

Off work for the week this week so an opportunity to get a marathon in, and not at the expense of family time etc. Would have been doing a long run anyhow, why not make it career marathon #38, just down the road in Clontarf.

Had my 2 bagels, coffee and overnight oats, brought the kids to creche and was down in Clontarf for an 8:45 start. Small field in this one (11 runners), for me it was more about getting a long run in. The small field allowed for individual starts whenever it suited, so it would be a staggered field. Target was 3:30-3:40 but very loose. 8 out and back laps between Clontarf Garda Station and the wooden bridge, along the seafront. Conditions were good, if a little windy at times on the return leg. Flat course, opportunity to run on grass too, save the legs.

Got into a 7:30-7:32/mile average pace early on and settled into this throughout. Worked my way through the reps, taking a gel at 9 miles, 16 miles and 23 miles, with taking a full 500ml water bottle on at start of Lap 3, Lap 5 and Lap 7, spreading out the bottle between those intervals to accommodate the gels etc.

Felt very comfortable throughout save for carrying a stitch through the last 2 laps but that was manageable. Ended up taking the win which while nice, wasnt really intentional or the plan, and I didnt know this until I had finished, due to the staggered start.

Stats: 26.33 miles per Garmin, 3:17:39; avg pace 7:31/mile; HR max 180, avg 152.

Laps: 3.28-3.29 miles

Lap 1: 24:44
    Lap 2: 24:22
    Lap 3: 25:03
    Lap 4: 24:45
    Lap 5: 24:47
    Lap 6: 24:33
    Lap 7: 25:05
    Lap 8: 24:41

Key notes:
    - Legs in good shape later that evening and since - I reckon this is due to flat course and running much of it on grass.
    - Nice to be back on form again, running a marathon comfortably, after the London experience. This was pretty much the same pace, but infinitely more comfortable.
    - I need to give myself more credit for my resilience mentally - 16 stretches of the same section of seafront, maintaining pace, is something to be proud of.

So, next up it is pacing 3:20 in Dublin. Hoping for a similarly even paced affair!

3.3 miles recovery with the family yesterday and 5 miles today.

JK

Time for another update...

Big couple of weeks for me both 'on the field' and 'off the field' as it were. Tipping away with training although nothing longer than 10 miles since the marathon (ref last post), so I need to rectify that over the week ahead as I move toward the pacing gig in Dublin at the end of the month.

Last couple of weeks have seen some highlights:
    • Interviewing Rob Heffernan in front of an audience at my workplace in BOI;
    • Getting 4 early morning miles in in Copenhagen on a work trip earlier on this week;
    • Acting as Run Director/ Event Director for the last time at St. Anne's parkrun yesterday. Sad day as it represented the end of 5 years in the role, but a great event, lots of super tributes, and a wonderful day at St. Anne's.

• Advertisement

Solid week of running this past 7 days, concentrated around the middle of the week, with a double on Tues (in and out of work), double on Weds (into work, and led my usual weekly interval session on Weds lunchtime), and an 18 miler before work on Thursday. Nice easy 4 miles then today after seeing our twins debut at junior parkrun (well, Adam ran, Sadie spectated :) ).

3 weeks to DCM - exciting times!

A reasonable week just passed. Only the mid 30s of mileage though... Main points were the double on Weds with the session as usual on Weds, also had planned to do 15-16 on stormaggedon morning but tapped out at just over 11. FBOT joined me for a few of those and will be disgusted to hear I didnt close out the full distance. Not too fussed.

2k with the young lad for his second parkrun this morning - PB for him :)

Mrs Killerz has signed up for the short course for Run The Line, while I'm pacing Clontarf Half in amongst doing my Athletics Ireland coaching courses - it's going to be a busy November.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Did you have enough of RTL last year?? :)

annapr wrote: »
    Did you have enough of RTL last year?? :)

Dunno what makes you think that? :) Great event, but wasn't really my thing to be honest and I wasnt in the best shape for it... I'll file it away with my Wicklow Way Ultra experience as one offs! Mrs K on the other hand, loves the trails.

Check in ahead of the 3:20 pacing gig on Sunday in some marathon. All checks and balances appear good to go... looking forward to doing my bit for the pacee population of Dublin.

Been a fairly decent couple of weeks of running with the big runs being a triple run last Wednesday week totalling c.16 miles, and an 11 miler on Saturday afternoon.

Good luck to all on Sunday!

JK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Looking good out there J smiles all the way well done :)

Catching up again...

Lovely day pacing at DCM - 3:20 group. What a day to run - glorious conditions and I was happy with how the three of us pacers executed our roles on the day. Great to see so many boardsies running, whatever the result, it was a day to be out there!

Kept ticking over on the miles since then over the following week, nothing major to report. Nice day out supporting at Run The Line on Saturday, and then had two great runs - last night - 6 miles @7:04/mi pace and then lunchtime today - 8 miles @ 6:50/mi pace progression run from Artane to Blackrock for Sunday dinner :)

Pacing 1:40 on Saturday next, Clontarf Half Marathon - hoping for nice conditions. Next up then is the Howth Marathon (B2B Day 1) on Friday 30th November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

You're not logging Junior parkrun then?

Great to see all yesterday, thanks for the support.

aquinn wrote: »
    You're not logging Junior parkrun then?

Great to see all yesterday, thanks for the support.

Family time, bonus miles! Great running on Sat, you were flying down the hill at the end.

Advertisement