Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

50 years ago today.

Martin Luther King, Jr.: "I have a dream."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Have_a_Dream

269294.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Worztron wrote: »
    Omayra Sánchez Garzón was born on this day in 1972.

Story here.

It's beyond belief that help was not provided to save her in time.

269290.jpg

I remember watching her on TV, she was just a year younger than me, very harrowing stuff to essentially watch her die slowly, but the rescuers didn't have the necessary machinery to move her. She was a very strong determined child in spite of what she was facing, reminded me a bit of that lad in Kerry who made the appeal to his fellow teenagers not to commit suicide just before he himself died of cancer. She is just a couple of hours from death in that photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Worztron wrote: »
    Omayra Sánchez Garzón was born on this day in 1972.

Story here.

It's beyond belief that help was not provided to save her in time.

269290.jpg
    This image is the main one that has stuck with me throughout this whole thread, and its quite haunting to me. Brave in the extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭theGEM

Reminds me of the story in the UK last year of firemen refusing to enter 3ft of water to save a man from drowning. Simon Burgess waded in a shallow pond to retrive a plastic bag when he sufferred an epiletic fit, 25 firemen who arrived on the scene refused to enter the water until appropriate equipment and trained personnel arrived, some 28min's later. Burgess would later die in hospital.

simon-burgess.jpeg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2106423/Simon-Burgess-body-floats-Walpole-Park-pond-emergency-workers-stand-watch.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Didn't shake the world but it did the footballing world as any death on the field does. 6 years ago today, 22 year old Antonio Puerta died 3 days after suffering successive cardiac arrests while playing for Sevilla against Getafe.

76360989.jpg

AntonioPuertaAP_468x301.jpg

imgAntonio-Puerta12.jpg

Look on the crowds face in the first picture tells you all you need to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Sir David Frost passed away yesterday from a heart attack. He was 74. He is probably most famous for his interview with the infamous President Nixon in 1977.
    Well, when the president does it, that means that it is not illegal.

a999nixonfrost_050977_2050081722-24741.jpg

220px-David_Frost_Rumsfeld_interview_cropped.jpg

frostnixon.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

On this day, in 1983, the Soviet Air Force shot down Korean Airlines Flight 007 as it was en route from Anchorage, Alaska to Seoul, South Korea. All 269 passengers and crew were killed.

The Soviets claimed that it was a US spy plane and initially denied shooting the plane down, but later admitted their responsibility.

As a direct result of this aggression, the US was able to garner enough anti-Soviet sentiment at home and abroad to deploy Pershing Nuclear Missiles in West Germany, with a flight time of 6-10 minutes before impact on Moscow.

No bodies were ever recovered, though some body parts did wash up on the beaches of the Japanese island of Hokkaido in the weeks following the shooting down of the aircraft.

Passengers of Flight 007:

pass.all.jpg

Time Magazine headlines:

shoottokill.jpg

Flight plan:

map_kal007.jpg

Shoes of victims of the shooting down recovered by Soviet divers and handed over to Japanese and American authorities following their search:

Korean_Air_Lines_Flight_007_-_Shoes.jpg

The incident, described by Ronald Reagan as "The Korean Airline Massacre", led to increasing the tensions between the USA and the USSR at a time when tensions were already at near-boiling point. Aeroflot, the Russian national airline, was banned from flying direct to the USA for nearly 3 years. One of the more important but seemingly "forgotten" incidents of the Cold War in which innocent people bore the brunt of the conflict between the two Superpowers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

NWWjxSU.jpg

y1NsUcP.jpg

3 July 1988

290 died when USS Vincennes shot down an Iranian airliner on a scheduled flight.

http://rt.com/usa/no-us-apology-ir655/

http://www.iranchamber.com/history/articles/shootingdown_iranair_flight655.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

The Capt of the Vincennes got an award not long after they killed those people:
    In 1990, President George H. W. Bush awarded Capt. Rogers the Legion of Merit decoration "for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding service as commanding officer ... from April 1987 to May 1989."

Wiki

Pretty disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

bilde?Site=BL&Date=20130901&Category=NATIONAL&ArtNo=309010060&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Obama-Hit-Syria-OK-d-by-Congress

Not a world shaker just yet but possibly will be to come. US President Barack Obama on the phone making decisions about going to war with Syria as Vice President Joe Biden listens in from across the room. Note Obama's 'shooting' gesture as he speaks.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Note Obama's 'shooting' gesture as he speaks.

We've no idea what he was saying when he made that gesture, looks just as possible that he's emphasising a point.

Anyway, one guy who will have a big part in the decision is the head of the CIA, the guy whose face is highlighted in this pic, he's John Brennan, his parents are from Co. Roscommon.

bin-laden-shock-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

DazMarz wrote: »
    The incident, described by Ronald Reagan as "The Korean Airline Massacre", led to increasing the tensions between the USA and the USSR at a time when tensions were already at near-boiling point. Aeroflot, the Russian national airline, was banned from flying direct to the USA for nearly 3 years. One of the more important but seemingly "forgotten" incidents of the Cold War in which innocent people bore the brunt of the conflict between the two Superpowers.

It is not widely known, but in the aftermath of that, Ronald Reagan approved the use of GPS for civilian airline use (they privatly accepted that the flight HAD flown into Russian airspace unknown to themselves)

" GPS was made public due to a tragedy. In 1983, Korean Air Lines Flight 007 entered Soviet airspace after a navigation error and was shot down, killing all 269 passengers. This incident resulted in President Ronald Reagan ordering the Unites States military to make the Global Positioning System available for civilian use once it was completed, so that similar incidents could be avoided in the future."

There is a transcript of both the airline/towers and the Soviet side here -

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Lines_Flight_007_transcripts

1822:02KAL 007 decreased speed as it climbed, causing the pursuing fighter to draw abeam of it. Osipovich: "The target is decreasing speed."
    1822:17Osipovich: "I am going around it. I'm already moving in front of the target."
    1822:17Titovnin: "Increase speed, 805" [call sign of Osipovich's Sukhoi].
    1822:23Osipovich: "I have increased speed."
    1822:23Titovnin: "Has the target increased speed, yes?"
    1822:29Osipovich: "No, it is decreasing speed."
    1822:29Titovnin: "805, open fire on target."
    1822:42Osipovich: "It should have been earlier. How can I chase it? I'm already abeam of the target."
    1822:42Titovnin: "Roger, if possible, take up a position for attack."
    1822:55Osipovich: "Now I have to fall back a bit from the target."
    1821–22Kornukov: "Gerasimenko, cut the horseplay at the command post, what is that noise there? I repeat the combat task: fire missiles, fire on target 60-65." Gerasimenko: "Wilco"
    Kornukov: "Comply and get Tarasov here. Take control of the Mig-23 from Smirnykh, call sign 163, call sign 163, he is behind the target at the moment. Destroy the target!"
    Gerasimenko: "Task received. Destroy target 60-65 with missile fire, accept control of fighter from Smirnykh"
    Kornukov: "Carry out the task, destroy [it]!"
    1822:55Gen. Kornukov: "Oh, [*expletives] how long does it take him to get into attack position, he is already getting out into neutral waters? Engage afterburner immediately. Bring in the MiG 23 as well... While you are wasting time it will fly right out."
    Titovnin: "805, try to destroy the target with cannons."
    1822:56The Boeing reports reaching its newly assigned altitude
    KAL 007: "Tokyo Radio Korean Air 007 reaching level three five zero".
    1823:37Osipovich: "I am dropping back. Now I will try a rocket."
    1823:37Titovnin: "Roger."
    1823:49MiG 23 (163): "Twelve kilometers to the target. I see both [the Soviet interceptor piloted by Osipovich and KAL 007]."18:23:37Titovnin: "805, approach target and destroy target."
    1824:22Osipovich: "Roger, I am in lock-on."
    1824:22Titovnin: "805, are you closing on the target?"
    1825:11Osipovich: "I am closing on the target, am in lock-on. Distance to target is 8 kilometers."
    1825:11Titovnin: "Afterburner. AFTERBURNER, 805!"
    1825:16Osipovich: "I have already switched it on."
    1825:16Titovnin: "Launch!"
    1825:46Osipovich: "Z.G." ("З.Г.", "захват головок", warheads of rockets locked on the target)

1826:02Cockpit: [Sound of explosion?]
    1826:06Captain: "What's happened?
    "1826:08Co-pilot: "What?"
    1826:10Captain: "Retard throttles."
    1826:11Co-Pilot: "Engines normal."
    1826:14Captain: "Landing gear."
    1826:15Cockpit: [Sound of cabin altitude warning]
    1826:17Captain: "Landing gear."
    1826:18Cockpit: [Sound of altitude deviation warning]

1826:20Osipovich: "I have executed the launch."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Capt of the Vincennes got an award not long after they killed those people:

Pretty disgusting.
    Pretty disgusting is right. Both this incident and the Soviet 007 one have a lot of parallels, though for my money the US Navy response was even dafter. The Soviet "intruder" was overflying about the most restricted airspace in the world at the time and a US spyplane, a converted boeing 707 airliner had been in the area at the same time. The Russian pilot to this day claims he fired warning bursts which would have lit up the sky and he turned on all his lights. It's odd the Korean plane didn't respond. No conspiracy guff though. I suspect they were just in relax, not paying attention enough mode at that stage of the flight.

In the case of the Iranian airliner it was flying a scheduled flight on an international civilian air route, it was transmitting the correct IIF codes, but the navy guys fcuked up there and mislabeled it as an F14 fighter. They didn't even have the capability to talk to it on civilian traffic frequencies. Plus logic would tell you that a military mission was highly unlikely to be coming in at airliner speeds and at airliner height. They were also distracted by as they put it a sea battle against Iranian gunboats. Battle my hole. The Iranian "gunboats" were civilian speedboats. If that's all that it takes to rattle them... Their grandfathers were up against Japanese heavy cruisers and kamikazes and didn't get rattled. Jesus.

They've not apologised for the fcukup and as you say the captain got a decoration after the fact. Mad. *EDIT* the official report showed the litany of fcukups, including them misreading that the aircraft was descending when the recorded radar track clearly show it climbing. They weren't even supposed to be there and had "bent" an earlier order to do so(and were inside Iranian waters). They were spoiling for a fight, so looked for one. Even after all that the presiding judges had the prickish gall to actually say Iran were as much to blame. Not just the captain got a decoration, so did his second command who was supposed to be filterng the info. His award cited his calmness under pressure. You really could not make this shít up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Wibbs wrote: »
    Pretty disgusting is right. Both this incident and the Soviet 007 one have a lot of parallels, though for my money the US Navy response was even dafter. The Soviet "intruder" was overflying about the most restricted airspace in the world at the time and a US spyplane, a converted boeing 707 airliner had been in the area at the same time. The Russian pilot to this day claims he fired warning bursts which would have lit up the sky and he turned on all his lights. It's odd the Korean plane didn't respond. No conspiracy guff though. I suspect they were just in relax, not paying attention enough mode at that stage of the flight.

In the case of the Iranian airliner it was flying a scheduled flight on an international civilian air route, it was transmitting the correct IIF codes, but the navy guys fcuked up there and mislabeled it as an F14 fighter. They didn't even have the capability to talk to it on civilian traffic frequencies. Plus logic would tell you that a military mission was highly unlikely to be coming in at airliner speeds and at airliner height. They were also distracted by as they put it a sea battle against Iranian gunboats. Battle my hole. The Iranian "gunboats" were civilian speedboats. If that's all that it takes to rattle them... Their grandfathers were up against Japanese heavy cruisers and kamikazes and didn't get rattled. Jesus.

They've not apologised for the fcukup and as you say the captain got a decoration after the fact. Mad. *EDIT* the official report showed the litany of fcukups, including them misreading that the aircraft was descending when the recorded radar track clearly show it climbing. They weren't even supposed to be there and had "bent" an earlier order to do so(and were inside Iranian waters). They were spoiling for a fight, so looked for one. Even after all that the presiding judges had the prickish gall to actually say Iran were as much to blame. Not just the captain got a decoration, so did his second command who was supposed to be filterng the info. His award cited his calmness under pressure. You really could not make this shít up.

The bit in bold about the Russian pilot, I saw before an interview with him where he said he had no "tracer bullets" so fired standard bullets which wouldn't be visible to the pilots of the Korean Air

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They didn't have enough fuel to loiter either. After a Soviet pilot had absconded with a Mig 25 Foxbat to Japan a few years earlier, Soviet pilots rarely got full tanks to attempt to stop this. I find the lack of tracers odd though. Fighters have em to help with aiming(every 5th or 6th round IIRC). It's near a given. Nasty business either way. I remember the headlines well. I was on holliers in Spain with my folks and we were due to fly home the next day. My mum near had a shítfit about it. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

If anyone wants an indication of how small our universities in Ireland are compared to those in Amercia, look no further than college football. Last night Michigan played against Notre Dame and set a new attendance record of 115,109.

Not only is it the highest attended college match but no NFL match has come within 10,000 of it. For a college match to get nearly 50,000 more spectators at their match than the average attendance at a professional American Football match is crazy.

Of the 20 largest stadiums by capacity in the world, 12 of them are college football stadia.

Old Trafford is by far the biggest stadium in the Premier League, and United arguably the richest team in the world, but 19 college teams have a bigger stadium than them.

It's pretty insane.

USATSI_7421755.jpg

If anyone wants an indication of how small our universities in Ireland are compared to those in Amercia, look no further than college football. Last night Michigan played against Notre Dame and set a new attendance record of 115,109.

Not only is it the highest attended college match but no NFL match has come within 10,000 of it. For a college match to get nearly 50,000 more spectators at their match than the average attendance at a professional American Football match is crazy.

Of the 20 largest stadiums by capacity in the world, 12 of them are college football stadia.

Old Trafford is by far the biggest stadium in the Premier League, and United arguably the richest team in the world, but 19 college teams have a bigger stadium than them.

It's pretty insane.

As a matter of interest Croke Park, with a capacity of 82,300 is the largest stadium on the planet, outside of the USA that is owned by an amateur organisation.

And with all due respect to them, rarely does college football throw up two matches running like Dublin v Kerry last Sunday and Clare v Cork today in the same staium! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

When you have thousands of students paying up to 100K per year in tuition fees you get the ability of dothis stuff, never mind the donations from ex-alumni

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

When you have thousands of students paying up to 100K per year in tuition fees you get the ability of dothis stuff, never mind the donations from ex-alumni

100k. You a bit off there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

100k. You a bit off there.
    up to 100k

he's right, you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

strangely enough the list of wikipedia doesn't include the like of Indiapolis and other Nascar venues; if it did then the football ones wouldn't be even in the top 30
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sporting_venues_with_a_highest_attendance_of_100,000_or_more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Dynamo Roller

strangely enough the list of wikipedia doesn't include the like of Indiapolis and other Nascar venues; if it did then the football ones wouldn't be even in the top 30
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sporting_venues_with_a_highest_attendance_of_100,000_or_more

It hardly counts, its not a field sport. If you include motorsports then the Tour de France or Dakar would be the largest :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I was in Ann Arbor (Where the university of Michigan stadium is) last xmas, it is not a big city, smaller than galway, and it is said that the entire population of the place could fit in the stadium with space to spare.
    I know a few people who went to school there, and they always come back every year for the games, and to tailgate outside, hence why they get such huge numbers

It hardly counts, its not a field sport. If you include motorsports then the Tour de France or Dakar would be the largest :p
    Tour de France a motorsport. Even Lance armstrong didn't stoop to installing an engine on his bike. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Wibbs wrote: »
    Tour de France a motorsport. Even Lance armstrong didn't stoop to installing an engine on his bike. :D
    Cancellara may have. Allegedly!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

These are thought to be cannibals.

1378758202981_zps237cf443.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

These are thought to be cannibals.

1378758202981_zps237cf443.jpg

:eek:

anymore info on this one? wiki page on it?

major bill wrote: »
    :eek:

anymore info on this one? wiki page on it?

Did a search using the Google Chrome extension, TinEye, which tells me that it is from a famine in Russia during 1921. The Wikipedia article it comes from is here, with the article on the famine here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Dynamo Roller

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    I was in Ann Arbor (Where the university of Michigan stadium is) last xmas, it is not a big city, smaller than galway, and it is said that the entire population of the place could fit in the stadium with space to spare.
    I know a few people who went to school there, and they always come back every year for the games, and to tailgate outside, hence why they get such huge numbers

Clones had a population of 2,000 in the 1990's (just under 3,000 today). The GAA pitch which held the Ulster Final back then has a capacity of 36,000 today, but back in the 90's it probably held well over 40,000 on a sunny Ulster Final day. That's 20 visitors for every person in the town!

Advertisement