Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The Panther tank in Cologne has it's own history. This is the video of it being destroyed:

It's one of the few close up and complete WW2 videos showing a tank on tank engagement like that. The context leading up to it being destroyed, was that it had already destroyed an older M4 Sherman. The veteran crew knew that the M4 lacked a proper stabiliser for their gun and would always stop to shoot, so they waited until the M4 would stop to fire, before they first. So a new M26 Pershing attacks instead. The Panther holds fire, waiting for it to stop, but the M26 had a fully stabilised gun and fired while moving, putting it's round through the side of the Panther and igniting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I dont know if this belongs here but this is a picture a 10y/o girl drew about her village in Syria. :(

9rbkehV.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Beaver stadium, home of penn state college football team becomes the 4th biggest city in the state when full.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_Stadium
    It is boasted by the Penn State community that during home games at State College the stadium is the 4th largest city by "population" in the state. It follows Philadelphia (1,517,550), Pittsburgh (334,563), and Allentown (118,032) and precedes Erie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

On the issue of Penn State, there was a child sex abuse scandal there a few years ago that rocked the football world.

One of the best coaches ever, Joe Paterno, was caught up in it and fired. The team had years of wins wiped from the record and that was probably the most lenient penalty.
    On July 23, 2012 the NCAA imposed sweeping penalties on Penn State's football program—among the most severe ever imposed on an NCAA member school—including a fine of $60 million, a four-year postseason ban and vacating of all victories from 1998–2011.[10] In doing so, NCAA President Mark Emmert stated that the sanctions were levied "not to be just punitive, but to make sure the university establishes an athletic culture and daily mindset in which football will never again be placed ahead of education, nurturing and protecting young people."[11] The Big Ten Conference subsequently imposed an additional $13 million fine.[12] Spanier, Curley and Schultz have since been criminally charged for their roles in the cover-up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_State_child_sex_abuse_scandal

Paterno had a statue on the college campus but it was removed too.

7652fb515ff93ecb977138ca6d9f60b3.jpg

dm_120722_ncf_penn_state_statue_removed.jpg

120722073737-paterno-statue-12-horizontal-gallery.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I dont know if this belongs here but this is a picture a 10y/o girl drew about her village in Syria. :(
    http://i.imgur.com/9rbkehV.jpg
    a 10 year old girl interested in flags ??

call me cynical

Yes what's happening in Syria is terrible.

It's not a case of freedom fighters against the empire.

What's happening to Christians there is scary.

Read this
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24039309

_69773775_40e0aa19-f0e4-4d74-8c6a-8e7ffc74ff3a.jpg
    Domenico Quirico was freed on Sunday, after being held hostage for five months along with Belgian teacher Pierre Piccinin da Prata.

He said his captors were "mixed-up" men consumed by the pursuit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Moved to Discussion - But thanks for the thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

A record that comes with two such major caveats is not a record.

They're parameters more than caveats.

Katie Taylor is the female Olympic gold medallist boxer at her weight.

(female being a parameter rather than a caveat)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭AlbionCat

Costa Concordia on Google Maps

On the day they started to lift Costa Concordia:

Go to to Google Maps and search for Giglio Porto GR - put the map in Satellite View.

My jaw dropped

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Holy crap, I had no idea just how big that ship is - it's bigger than the town beside it!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

This is how they prove London's Double-decker buses are not a tipping hazard. (1933)

y7EOXme.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C-fZA1NJtPA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Grimebox wrote: »
    This is how they prove London's Double-decker buses are not a tipping hazard. (1933)...

Not really all that shocking, is it?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Delphi91 wrote: »

The upper deck is full of orphans used in the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I was mildly shocked that the bus wasn't tipping over :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Sorry if this is a repost but this chap retired after this
    Read the story its pretty cool.
    http://chainmailcheck.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/a-load-of-old-bullfighting/

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Sorry if this is a repost but this chap retired after this
    Read the story its pretty cool.
    http://chainmailcheck.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/a-load-of-old-bullfighting/

Did you even read the story

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Did you even read the story

Evidently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Sorry folks
    Should've read the whole lot
    It is a good picture though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

It is a good picture though

Actually, no. It's not. Not by a long shot.

It's a photo of depravity and abuse, excused as 'tradition'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Grimebox wrote: »
    This is how they prove London's Double-decker buses are not a tipping hazard. (1933)

Heartbreaking, I couldn't watch that twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

De Bhál wrote: »
    Heartbreaking, I couldn't watch that twice.

well at least you wont quote the pic twice:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

returnNull wrote: »
    well at least you wont quote the pic twice:cool:

Loud noiiiiiiiiises

winston82 wrote: »
    Loud noiiiiiiiiises
    your keyboard is broke

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Re: Bus Pic

There's probably a simple answer, so forgive my ignorance, but while are the two scales/dials showing different values?

BaZmO* wrote: »

There's probably a simple answer, so forgive my ignorance, but while are the two scales/dials showing different values?

the scale on the bus is higher

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

how can you say that? I mean seriously; there is a guy on the left using only 1 arm to hold up a bus and a big steel rig, ONE ARM!
    Men were men back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

BaZmO* wrote: »

you can see that the bus is light on it's suspension on the left side and has probably just gone past it's tipping point with the chains holding it. So it has tipped further than the platform

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

firstofmoon.jpg

The very first photograph of the moon, or anything in space for that matter, taken by John William Draper in 1839.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_William_Draper

Advertisement