Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Ireland at night from Space
    ireland-1024x679.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

allanb49 wrote: »
    19 years as of the 24th November.
    I know,I always wonder what would he be doing today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

mle1324 wrote: »

Bumming around i'm sure.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

mle1324 wrote: »

Still making amazing music.

f421d3c9a6a0106746e9546e32c4d813.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxnWTCd6UXQeA-Xyxa8CpIKH3zMQIKMamiezFuTzn80U8SXtHp8A

Remember seeing this photo in a history book. The jewish girl was a survivor of the concentration camps. This is what she drew when she was asked to draw "home".

539w.jpg

For the week that is in it.

Don't know if this one was posted before:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEgu1dzvcTO4-8bcb4eMLvJ72E4Bft33JN9BbnjKeSJl6dDBt3NA
    Remember being in primary school the day he was released, it was a gorgeous sunny day, we were taught to sing "Mandela will be free, Mandela, Nelson Mandela...." Was a day I am proud to have lived through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭deepsouthtalla

This is the last pic of Freddie taken by his Irish Boyfriend very shocking pic IMOfrlast.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

On a funnier note :D

bruno-movie-trailer.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

There was a popular wall poster in the 80's, a b/w photo of a www2(or maybe the Korean war) American GI the moment he was shot by a sniper. It also had "Why?" printed on it. I've been looking for the photo, with this thread in mind, but can't find it. Anyone have any info on the photograph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Rubik. wrote: »
    There was a popular wall poster in the 80's, a b/w photo of a www2(or maybe the Korean war) American GI the moment he was shot by a sniper. It also had "Why?" printed on it. I've been looking for the photo, with this thread in mind, but can't find it. Anyone have any info on the photograph.

Is this it?

why.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

^^^

mtuu5z.jpg

That it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Cheers Standard Toaster and Donny5, thats been bugging me for awhile now. Standard Toasters one is the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

PomBear wrote: »

Wow, I can see my house. great picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Will_H

Wow! Fantastic stuff....

Don't think this one is up here yet....Howard Carter's famous discovery....

135207.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

niepce-first-photo-niepce1826-lw.jpg

1826: The first photograph ever taken.

Nicéphore Niépce captured the photo with a camera obscura focused onto a sheet of 20 × 25 cm oil-treated bitumen. Given the limited knowledge of the processes of photography at the time, a 9-and-a-half-hour exposure was required to complete this scene of his gardens from his window. As a result sunlight illuminates the buildings on both sides. This piece was the culmination of 33 years of work.

He travelled to Britain to convince the Royal Society of it's merits but they were uninterested. He eventually gave it away to his botanist/artist friend Franz Bauer. He never lived to see any credit for his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Following on from the above post; The first ever photo of a person:

800px-Boulevard_du_Temple_by_Daguerre.jpg
    "Boulevard du Temple", taken by Louis Daguerre in late 1838 or early 1839, was the first-ever photograph of a person. It is an image of a busy street, but because exposure time was over ten minutes, the city traffic was moving too much to appear. The exception is a man in the bottom left corner, who stood still getting his boots polished long enough to show up in the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

i recall reading somewhere that pic is actually the spanish civil war...will try to dig up the info.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

American Embassy Saigon April 1975....before it found its way onto a poster at the airport roundabout this morning that is :cool:

Ryanair.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

gatecrash wrote: »
    i recall reading somewhere that pic is actually the spanish civil war...will try to dig up the info.

That uniform looks far too modern for the Spanish Civil War.

Perhaps your thinking of Robert Capa's famous image of The Falling Soldier.

robertcapa.jpg
    The Falling Soldier is a famous photograph taken by Robert Capa, understood to have been taken on September 5, 1936 and long thought to depict the death of a Republican, specifically an Iberian Federation of Libertarian Youth (FIJL) soldier during the Spanish Civil War, who was later identified as the anarchist Federico Borrell García. The full title of the photograph is Loyalist Militiaman at the Moment of Death, Cerro Muriano, September 5, 1936.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

Donny5 wrote: »

That is so ridiculously staged. He's not even wearing ammo pouches ffs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

That is so ridiculously staged. He's not even wearing ammo pouches ffs..

Probably. There's questions even about Capa's photo, though. I personnally believe he ripped this off:
    vilari%F1o_09.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'm pretty sure the camera obscura was being used long before 1826. So i'd imagine that it's not the first photograph although maybe it's the oldest known photograph.

Also i read that Capas photo is a suspected fake. Someone studied the scenery in the background of the photo and found that the scenery in the area the photo is claimed to have been taken in does'nt match up to that in the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

diapositiva4ul5.jpg

nothing major, but when it first surfaced, it was pretty much a breath taking thing, and supported by the Muslim community,
    believing it to be the discovery of Aad, the gigantic race mentioned in the Quran. but it was a fake,
    and actually entered into a photoshop competition in 2004.

original, being a "Giant Mastodon" skeleton (or mammoth)

skeleton-overhead-pos03.jpg

1968 wrote: »
    That uniform looks far too modern for the Spanish Civil War.

Perhaps your thinking of Robert Capa's famous image of The Falling Soldier.

[URL=http://i

that's the one.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

I'm pretty sure the camera obscura was being used long before 1826. So i'd imagine that it's not the first photograph although maybe it's the oldest known photograph.

Also i read that Capas photo is a suspected fake. Someone studied the scenery in the background of the photo and found that the scenery in the area the photo is claimed to have been taken in does'nt match up to that in the photo.
    Yes, you are right.
    Camera Obscura was possibly used by artists like Vermeer, and it was suggested that Da Vinci also may have dabbled with it.
    Pin hole photography was also used by the Chinese in ancient times. Though as you say, i doubt the images have survived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

rebel10 wrote: »
    Yes, you are right.
    Camera Obscura was possibly used by artists like Vermeer, and it was suggested that Da Vinci also may have dabbled with it.
    Pin hole photography was also used by the Chinese in ancient times. Though as you say, i doubt the images have survived.

We may have a surviving one in the Shroud of Turin. One of the theories is that the image of the man was created with a camera obscura. Some suspect Da Vinci created the shroud.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Not really world shaking. But there is something stirring about it.

This man took a Polaroid every day until the day he died.

There's something surreal and haunting about being able to just click through the pages and images of this mans life.

Story: http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/15131

Photos: http://photooftheday.hughcrawford.com/

Beginning:
    10-31-79-x_std.jpg

End:
    10-25-97.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Shook up my world. I finally realized why the rest of the world is justified in not taking Ireland seriously.

0001662a-970.jpg

AS11-44-6642.jpg

Earthrise, and Apollo 11 Lunar Module.

Everyone is in this picture. Apart from Michael Collins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

gatecrash wrote: »
    Everyone is in this picture. Apart from Michael Collins
    Ha. Brilliant.

Advertisement