Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Photo of the IMF in Dublin. Dunno bout the world but its shook our country

IMF_officials_in_Dublin_006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

RyanWhite_PeopleMagcover.jpg
    Ryan White was a 'poster child' for AIDS education in the 1980's after he become infected with HIV through a blood transfusion he received to treat his haemophilia.
    He and his family suffered horrendous prejudice due to his illness, including shots being fired at his house and constant harassment/threats.

He gained fame in his fight to be allowed back in school, and was championed by many famous stars including Michael Jackson and Elton John. Michael Jackson's song 'Gone too soon' was inspired by Ryan.

Ryan's plight led to several pieces of key legislation being created which helps low-income AIDs/HIV victims, and the media attention greatly accelerated education regarding HIV/AIDs.

More on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6YOlJHjcXw
    Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_White

RIP Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Pic from the march today, thought it was quite powerful

PA-9840489-390x285.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Whole weekend looking through this thread, some amazing and eye opening things. Keep it up lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 imwatchingyou

marko93 wrote: »
    Whole weekend looking through this thread, some amazing and eye opening things. Keep it up lads

same here,i spent hours on this thread,one of the best threads on boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Pike River Mining Disater here in NZ

Tried to find something that could sum it up as a photo that shook the world, so close after the Chile mining incident and triumphant conclusion to that and the jubilation that brought. This on the other hand was the complete opposite.
    This was the best I could find, as I feel its a very moving photo in its own way.
    a100535.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

June 26th, Cork, Ireland. JFKs motorcade
    JFK is the only catholic president and the first irish american president which was probly the main reson for the visit.
    not as earth shaking as the cuban missle crisis and his assasination.
    (both of which have already been covered in this thread)

k20_KNC29343.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

^^^
    That photo is fantastic, have never seen it before, saw one of him on the South Mall, but not as good as that. Its so clear and the amazing thing is that even after all the changes on Patrick st. over the years, you could be convinced that it was taken yesterday! If that makes sense.:o

Killing of AWB in 1994
    Key Themes
    1. Bophuthatswana coup d'état of 1994
    2.AWB

(I hope this hasnt been covered already in this thread)
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Killing of Wolfaardt, Uys and Fourie
    The single most publicised event of the coup was the killing of three wounded AWB members who were shot dead at point-blank range in front of journalists by a Bophuthatswana police constable, Ontlametse Bernstein Menyatsoe.

AWB Colonel Alwyn Wolfaardt, AWB General Nicolaas Fourie and Veldkornet (Field Cornet) Jacobus Stephanus Uys were driving a blue Mercedes at the end of a convoy of AWB vehicles, firing into a crowd of Bophuthatswanan civilians. Members of the Bophuthatswana Defence Force returned fire and hit the driver of the car, Nicolaas Fourie, in the neck, another gunman, Alwyn Wolfaardt, in the arm and the remaining gunman, Jacobus Uys, in the leg. Wolfaardt got out of the car and waved a pistol but was advised by nearby journalists not to start shooting. A Bophuthatswana police officer relieved him of the weapon. Another policeman tried to fire on journalists but his rifle jammed and it was taken from him by yet another policeman. Menyatsoe approached and spoke to Wolfaardt, asking if he was a member of the AWB. Wolfaardt confirmed this, saying they came from Naboomspruit, and pleaded for his life and the lives of the other two wounded AWB members. Menyatsoe then shot the three wounded men dead at point blank range with an R4 rifle, saying "what are you doing in my country?". The shooting was captured by the watching journalists and broadcast worldwide.

.................................**Warning**
    ..........all photos/videos that follow contain Dead bodies
    .....................(note to mods, please apply spoiler tags if you deem it appropriate)

video of the incident
    this should be viewed to get an insight into the incident
    skip to 3:30 for the back story of the incident
    skip to 4:40 to get the main incident

42-20377479.jpg?size=67&uid={c5c38ffc-448c-4929-a961-75170302bbfa}

42-20319771.jpg?size=67&uid={410decaa-e9f9-4e09-872d-5762ee47ee1b}

42-20319773.jpg?size=67&uid={423291a5-760e-4da1-afa4-bd99520e6708}

42-20319776.jpg?size=67&uid={2c0d03b1-322f-426a-96f5-bab3a17fbd52}

42-20319775.jpg?size=67&uid={b5ce6aec-908d-46c9-99dc-5f8499c3621a}

1994005.jpg
    (sorry about the watermark only version i could find)

BopExecution1236707663.jpg

ps. Ive come across a few more graphic photos i didnt post and quite a few racist sites, understandable as the AWB is In My Opinion (and that of most others) racially idelogic group.

also the photos are from various sources and i have tried to arrange them in chronological order, based on the video and location of the bodies. i also tried to avoid heavily wathermarked images, altough i could find no alternative to some

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Lt. Col. Robert L. Stirm, USAF, survived more than five years in a North Vietnamese prison camp. He steps off the plane, and hesitates. His wife, Loretta Stirm and their children Lori, 15, Robert, 14, Cynthia, 13, and Roger, 12, all rush forward to greet him.

Veder_Sal-Tartt-Vietnam_Homecoming.jpg

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Mousey- wrote: »
    Killing of AWB in 1994
    <SNIP>
    No need to quote it all

The bloody neck of those AWB! They opened fire on the civilian crowd, and then begged for an ambulance when they were wounded by the returning army fire!

I watched the rest of the documentary, very interesting. I remember it all happening at the time, good stuff Mousey

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Not an image that changed the world, but an image with a powerful anti-drugs message.

10yearsmethuse.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I really wish this thread was updated more... its the best thread on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭greenmachine88

Eric_harris_dylan_klebold.jpg

miller.jpg

m05_17178177.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

What's the 3rd one about?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Leeg17 wrote: »

The last image in question is from the terror attacks in Mumbai, India on the 26/11/08. The guy in the image is Ajmal Kasab, he was the only terrorist who was captured alive.

thats the thing about this thread, you never really know whats been done before, Malboro Man Fallujah and Columbine have definetly been done before, and i assume so has Mumbai.

I enjoy looking these stories up. Its just hard to find stories which havn't been posted 6 or 7 times before.
    Leeg17 wrote: »
    Mumbai Terror Attacks
    Wikipedia on it

Ajmal Kasab and one more attacker at the station
    26-11-mumbai-terror-attack22.jpg
    After the attack on the train station where more than 50 were shot
    wide-mumbai-station-cp-RTXA.jpg
    13-mumbai-terror-attack-455.jpg
    Bodies at the station
    Mumbai%20terror%20attack.jpg

987356_f520.jpg
    (again about bodies, Mods please convert to links etc... if you deem necessary, I find no point however in skipinging over he loss of life)
    Bombing of taxis
    terror1.jpg
    Oberoi Trident Hotel burning
    mumbai-terror-attack1.jpg
    Infograph on the hotel
    Police on the streets
    mumbai6_1.jpg
    Police,
    Notice the bolt action lee enfield rifles compared to the AK 47s brandished by the terrorists. poice and army also had modern
    weapons, mp5s, modern rifles etc... but i found that point interesting
    mumbai_01.jpg
    Terrorists
    MumbaiTerroristZee.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

One of the iconic photographs in Sport.
    Ben Hogan's 1-iron at Merion. Coming 16 months after a near-fatal car crash.

hogan_1950.jpg

http://espn.go.com/sportscentury/features/00014232.html

I always found it amazing how 10 people were able to bring a city with a population of 13,830,884 (from Wikipedia) to its knees essentially. Those images were truly harrowing.

13-mumbai-terror-attack-455.jpg

This is probably the strongest one of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Carlsberg don't do threads....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

1982 has been mentioned before, but this one wasn't posted that I can find.

HMS-Sheffield-MoD-2-S.jpg

Photos of HMS Sheffield burning and sinking brought the world into the realisation that there really was a war going on in the South Atlantic, and it wasn't going to be pleasant.

Though the event happened after ARA General Belgrano's sinking, the photos of Sheffield reached the world first. Plus, prior to that, there was a sentiment that the British Empire were beating up on a poor, relatively defenceless, two-bit banana military.

559b.jpg

On other matters...

A new dawn of warfare. "Mother", the Tank, Mk1.
    tank_mk1.jpg

Halabja
    halabja.jpg
    Halabja.jpg

Srebenica. An embarassment of the West.
    013.jpg
    031.jpg

Bamiyan
    bamian_buddha_caves.jpg
    statue.jpg
    r243392_990383.jpg
    I always found it amazing how 10 people were able to bring a city with a population of 13,830,884 (from Wikipedia) to its knees essentially.

A recent court case in California had the judge musing on the fact that for all the problems inherent with the American right to bear arms, in the event of a Mumbai-style assault, the people would at least have a fighting chance and the damage would be more contained.

[Edit. Found it. Judge Gould in Nordyke vs King.
    We recently saw in the case of the terrorist attack on Mumbai that terrorists may enter a country covertly by ocean routes, landing in small craft and then assembling to wreak havoc. That we have a lawfully armed populace adds a measure of security for all of us and makes it less likely that a band of terrorists could make headway in an attack on any community before more professional forces arrived.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I can't believe I got through the whole thread! I don't think I can run off now without making my own contribution;
    007_21300451.jpgIs it just me or did he seem so much bigger at the time?009_21443625.jpgWall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl026_21397157.jpgWith all the footie photos here I can't believe this didn't make it. 034_00000003.jpgSection of the LHC, it shook the world when some ejits got a bit liberal with the term probability in relation to black holes.
    All the above came from here, theres way more if you care to take a look, some have already been posted.decade_78.jpg"Marooned flood victims looking to escape grab the side bars of a hovering Army helicopter which arrived to distribute food supplies in the Muzaffargarh district of Pakistan's Punjab province August 7, 2010."

Women voting in New Zealand in 1899.
    Pretty unusual at the time...
    voting-queue.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

A terrible start to 2011 - Church bombing in Alexandria

337-240Mideast_Egypt_Church_Attack.sff.embedded.prod_affiliate.156.jpg
    69734718-blood-victims.jpg
    images%3Fq%3Dalexandria%2Bbombing%2Bpictures%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1680%26bih%3D920%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=366&vpy=566&dur=2094&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=150&ty=220&ei=QkAhTbC8DYu3hAfq3vm3Dg&oei=QkAhTbC8DYu3hAfq3vm3Dg&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=36&ved=1t:429,r:23,s:0egypt_church_attack_480_01Jan11.jpg
    D7A4CE0B-F98F-4277-AE77-F3C16915622D_mw800_mh600_s.jpg61622927-people-help.jpg69712967-people-gather.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

rwanda_genocide.jpg

genocide-in-rwanda-skulls.jpg

Rawanda Genocide. About 800,000 men, women and children perished!

The infamous photograph of the starving African child.
    starving-child.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

that african child photo has been posted wayyy too many times in fairness.

Battle of the Bulge
    it certainly shocked the allies and was the last big offensive of the germans in the west.

Poteau Ambush
    on December 18, 1944 the 14th US Cavalry Group, was ambushed by Kampfgruppe Hansen.
    the photos and films that follow were captured by the americans from a Waffen-SS war correspondent. the shots were posed for after the ambush, but seem to have been just hours after.

a US newsreel
    this is from the time and not a modern documentery.
    3:45 to 4.35 is the ambush

Poteau Ambush

Another film from after the ambush

Aerial shot of the ambush
    Numbers correspond to the following images
    Poteau_photo_0.jpg

1. the standing soldier is wearing a captured US coat
    file.php?id=101569
    2.A famous shot, he can be seen in the third video above also
    Poteau_photo_2.jpg
    Poteau_photo_3.jpg
    4. same soldier as image 2, notice also the captured pistol
    Poteau_photo_4.jpg
    Poteau_photo_5.jpg
    6. sodier on the right has a captured m1 carbine, seen again below
    Poteau_photo_6.jpg
    hansen%20r.JPG
    8. burning jeeps
    Poteau_photo_8.html

Cameraman filming
    ambush
    Captured Rifle m1 carbine
    poteau1.jpg
    Smoking
    KG+Hansen02
    Another famous shot of the ambush
    battle3l.jpg
    Resting
    file.php?id=101567
    Jagdpanzer IV
    file.php?id=101492

limited to 15 images so a few had to be cut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Didn't shake the world, but changed our understanding of our place in the universe forever.

Hubble Ultra Deep Field. Every spec of light you see is an entire galaxy!!
    600px-hubble_ultra_deep_field_high_rez_edit1.jpg
    All of this in an area not bigger than the size of your palm on your outstretched arm covering the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I'm 58 pages through and my heart is just broken..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

For the day that's in it!
    This was taken in Alabama in February 1956, when Martin Luther King King was 27 years old, following his arrest at the Montgomery Bus Boycott.
    mlk-mug-shot-20212-1295289222-5.jpg

Advertisement