Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Size Are You Girls =D

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Wizard007 wrote: »
    This is not nice, not nice at all.

Pikachucheeks was posting out of concern for people who may be made feel uncomfortable with this thread. Granted, no one is asking or demanding anyone to post. On other threads Pikachucheeks has posted pics ( which a person with insecurities does not do ), and has abselutely no reason what so ever to have this insecurity you "feel" she may have.

That comment was just not nice.

Ash23 - that's a brilliant achievement :)

CathyMoran - I read your posts on here all the time,you are just such a lovely person :)
    Blush, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I don't think it is possible to be overweight at a size 10/12. :confused:
    It is when you're 5ft nothing. ;) (Like me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

CathyMoran wrote: »
    My dad was a fashion designer but the one who was obsessed with her (and my) weight was my mum...had horrible times whem mum constantly called me fat and would look at everything that I ate (I was a normal teenager, not fat)...however it did lead to issues with my weight over time...it was worse when I got type 1 diabetes (have had horrible people calling it the fat disease) and then another condion also normally associated with weight...had essential life saving surgery which means that I find it hard to maintain weight. I would far rather see someone comfortable with themselves. For me even managing to be pregnant is wonderful and seeing the scale going up is even better (not to mention my wonderful baby).

Yeah my mother operates similarly although she does the opposite. Im an 8 or ten now, but she has always told me im too thin and tried to fatten me up. Not because I am too thin, I am not but it has far more to do with her competiveness as she in her youth was rail thin, and I mean beanpole, tall, the kind that is so thin you wouldnt want to cuddle her because she was too bony. And being body concious it always helped her ego if her daughter was fatter than she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Yeah my mother operates similarly although she does the opposite. Im an 8 or ten now, but she has always told me im too thin and tried to fatten me up. Not because I am too thin, I am not but it has far more to do with her competiveness as she in her youth was rail thin, and I mean beanpole, tall, the kind that is so thin you wouldnt want to cuddle her because she was too bony. And being body concious it always helped her ego if her daughter was fatter than she is.

Its very enlightening to see how many strange parent stories other people have.

I'm a size ten but growing up had serious eating disorder and my dad was always pointing out if I gained weight. When I was a size 4 he thought I was a lovely weight only problem was I'm 5' 8 and was a rake :eek:

I think dads are bit clueless when It comes to womens bodies so I don't mind him now. Mothers should know better than be picking on girls for gaining a bit of weight. That kind of behaviour by parents can leave their children with serious issues:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Any key? wrote: »

It's gas...my Dad absolutely never notices my weight, to the point where it's kind of funny. I went on J1 a few years back, didn't eat properly for 3 months and came home more than 2 stone lighter looking like a different person. Everyone was gasping and staring in disbelief at the airport and my Dad greets me with, 'Did you get a new haircut?' :pac:

Anyway, back on topic. I'm a short ass and if I gain half a stone I'm up a size, so I've everything from a 6 to a 12 in my wardrobe. Generally, an 8 jeans size and 10 up top.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

beks101 wrote: »
    It's gas...my Dad absolutely never notices my weight, to the point where it's kind of funny. I went on J1 a few years back, didn't eat properly for 3 months and came home more than 2 stone lighter looking like a different person. Everyone was gasping and staring in disbelief at the airport and my Dad greets me with, 'Did you get a new haircut?' :pac:

Anyway, back on topic. I'm a short ass and if I gain half a stone I'm up a size, so I've everything from a 6 to a 12 in my wardrobe. Generally, an 8 jeans size and 10 up top.

May I just say I absolutely hate that phrase. Carry on. :)

Apologies :o

(Are you one too?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

did you look worse then this ?:D

on of my mates ate the miss extream comp :pac:

Does that man have pedobear tattooed on his chest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

beks101 wrote: »
    Apologies :o

(Are you one too?)

I dunno about LZ5by5, but I am. I like to say I'm 5"3 but I'm not quite that even. And like yourself, add a half stone and I'm up a size or two. I've been up to a 12 which doesn't sound a lot to everyone, but its too much on my frame. I vary in makes of clothes but I'm 8-10 on the bottom, and I sometimes buy bigger in shirts for boobie room / avoid gappage.

The idea of a size thread isn't a great one tbh, because our heights and frames have to be factored in, and on the face of it, its not very fair. Oh, and Kate Moss comment was a damned stupid one, shes a lot to answer for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Any key? wrote: »

I'm a size ten but growing up had serious eating disorder and my dad was always pointing out if I gained weight. When I was a size 4 he thought I was a lovely weight only problem was I'm 5' 8 and was a rake :eek:

I think dads are bit clueless when It comes to womens bodies so I don't mind him now. Mothers should know better than be picking on girls for gaining a bit of weight. That kind of behaviour by parents can leave their children with serious issues:(

A psychotherapist friend of mine once told me that every girl she had met/counselled with an eating disorder had a mother who gave her shít about her weight. She never mentioned anything about dads (to me, anyway) but said that in all cases she'd dealt with, the mother was a total weight-nazi. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

A psychotherapist friend of mine once told me that every girl she had met/counselled with an eating disorder had a mother who gave her shít about her weight. She never mentioned anything about dads (to me, anyway) but said that in all cases she'd dealt with, the mother was a total weight-nazi. :/

It's the other way round in my house! Dad's a nag, Mum is quietly supportive. I get regular lectures from my Dad, he used to drag me out walking, all the rest. Mum never opened her mouth about it, just supported me in whatever I wanted to do. Used to come to Weight Watchers with me (though she's not overweight!) when my Dad harangued me into going.

He's pretty much left off about it now though.

EDIT: I don't have an eating disorder though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

shellyboo wrote: »
    It's the other way round in my house! Dad's a nag, Mum is quietly supportive. I get regular lectures from my Dad, he used to drag me out walking, all the rest. Mum never opened her mouth about it, just supported me in whatever I wanted to do. Used to come to Weight Watchers with me (though she's not overweight!) when my Dad harangued me into going.

He's pretty much left off about it now though.

EDIT: I don't have an eating disorder though!

Maybe cos yer mom was supportive. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Maybe cos yer mom was supportive. :pac:

Maybe because I'm far too like my Dad - stubborn as hell! :pac:

I'll be the exception to that rule so.

I had what can be classified as an eating disorder as a teenager, but growing up weight never got a mention by my mother or father.

There are so many factors involved in eating disorders it's unbelievable. They're so complex and family background is a tiny piece of the jigsaw that may cause someone to abuse their own body. Thoughtless comments by the Kate Mosses of the world don't help either.

On a lighter note, I now sometimes b1tch and moan but wouldn't be without my curves! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Smallbit

It is when you're 5ft nothing. ;) (Like me)

Very good point there helena. Dress size is relevant to height and of course bra measurements!!

I'm a size 18, but I'm nearly 5ft10. OK, I'm a little overweight, but not obese, or considered fat. My biggest problem is finding jeans long enough to fit me, or bras in my cup size :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A psychotherapist friend of mine once told me that every girl she had met/counselled with an eating disorder had a mother who gave her shít about her weight. /

My mother-in-law is kinda like this.

Not that she would ever intentionally 'give shit', but she is really prone to unthinking, blunt statements. Not just to women, but everyone really.

She's a tough lady and has a hard life on the farm, and I think because she has zero sensitivity or vanity about "frivolities' like appearance, she assumes that everybody else is the same. So, while there is no malice intended, it can still hurt if you're sensitive about your appearance which most of us are in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Special K

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Kate Moss is an airhead. There are more intelligent role models out there in fairness. :confused:
    I wouldn't even classify her as a role model of any sort. She doesn't even have a pretty face.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

fair enough. I'm fairly sure my problem had nothing to do with either parent as It was triggered by other things going on in my life I couldn't control.

Anywho I'm perfect now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

5'5" and size 10

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭miss_feminem

i dont think anyone has a set size really,it depends on where you shop,and even then its rare your top and bottom are the same size!im usually an 8-10 on top and 10-12 on bottom as of late

I agree with this. I have been a size 8 in one shop and a size 14 in another. Some shops make clothes for little boys rather than women - we do have breasts and hips, you know :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Silverfish wrote: »
    I was a 16 at the start of the year, then I was a 14, right now I'm a 12, but I miss chinese takeaways so the longer this poll stays up, the more likely it is I'll have clicked all the options.

Ladies and gentlemen, size 10.

Felt I had to share :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Well done you!!! That's brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Silverfish wrote: »
    Ladies and gentlemen, size 10.

Felt I had to share :)

Congratulations! Size 16 to size 10?! That's amazing and I'd say you put in a huge amount of work and effort for that. Well done, you should be really proud of yourself! I have no discipline at all for diets!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Still a bit of a way to go, but I'm pretty happy with this so far.

I'm useless with diets, but this one is working for me, I can eat real food and whatever, it's more a dietary change than a diet as such.

As long as I can still have my occasional chinese I can survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

usually float between a 12-14 myself. though it's hard to say, as most of my clothes are quite baggy and none of my belts have loops :D

i think im a dress size 14 though, which usually surprises people, though ive got quite wide hips. wetsuit size 12 though.

oddly, i got down to a 10 recently, and all i heard was that i looked unhealthy and people kept asking if i was ok and commenting on how much weight i'd lost and that i 'didnt have any to lose in the first place'. pffft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

The number on the label is meaningless. Every shop is different, everyones body is different. I have things that are size 10 that fit me perfectly, I have things that are size 16 that fit me perfectly. And sometimes, if you try two identical dresses in the same size, the fit will be different. Sometimes I buy something that is supposed to be tighter and I want it looser, and sometimes things a little tight look better.

The number on the label is just a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I'm a 10 in the leg, 8 around my barely there ass, 10 - 12 on top depending on the outfit but my bikini top size is a 14-16 (I'm an E cup).

When I'm a 12 I'm overweight. I'm 10 now and still feel overweight (in tummy mostly). For my height (5 feet 1) I should be at least a stone lighter. I think a size 8 would suit my frame.

Your clothing size doesn't really mean anything. Like I said, I'm a 10 but look much heavier than a celeb on TV that's a size 10.

As an 8 I'd look healthy, but some women/celebs as an 8 look ill and boney.

Waist to Hip Ratio:

Results:
    You have a waist to hip ratio of 0.85. The information you entered: Sex = Female, waist = 33 inches and hip = 39 inches.

Your shape puts you at increased risk of coronary heart disease, diabetes and stroke. Frequently referred to as apple shape, you tend to keep fat at your midsection and less on your hips. Your body converts this upper body fat to energy whenever your body runs short. This raises cholesterol and blood pressure.

:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MissIT

Depends on the shop but mostly im a size 8.
    Im just over 5ft 9'' and have zero boobs.
    Id love to put on a bit of weight but it seems to be impossible.
    On the bright side i have great legs and bum so suppose im happy enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

For some reason I read the thread title as "What size are YOUR girls..." and was thinking it must have been posted by a 13 year old boy.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

5 foot 11.5 inches here, about 224 lbs in weight (mostly in the stomach/arse area).
    On average, I'm between a size 20-22 in jeans and a 14-16 in sleeveless shirts.
    (Have to wear 20-22 in sleeved shirts due to having shoulders like a rugby player)

Advertisement