Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Size Are You Girls =D

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe because stores believe that women will buy more if a smaller size is on the tag?
    Yes Ive wondered that before. Is it sometimes a way of using insecurity to sell more stuff? I mean advertisers do that stuff as par for the course. And they aim it at both genders in different areas.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Wibbs wrote: »
    Absolute truth. Found out due to a fancy dress do an ex of mine convinced me that we should both go along to in drag.......

did you look worse then this ?:D

on of my mates ate the miss extream comp :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

10 sometimes a 12. Absolute truth. Found out due to a fancy dress do an ex of mine convinced me that we should both go along to in drag....... I swear........ The plan being I'd wear her stuff, she'd wear mine. She was near my height and narrow hipped so we were clothes twins.:)

I got VERY confused when I started reading that reply first thing that popped into my head "I thought Wibbs was a guy" :pac:
    maple wrote: »
    See below for response to your over reaction question.

I was still replying when you posted that, still think it's an over reaction but that's very common to mods on some parts of this site.
    Honestly, I don't think it was an over reaction at all.

Is it not obvious how easily a thread about women's clothing sizes could get into dodgy - or nasty - territory?

A lot of women are very self conscious about their bodies and size can be a very sensitive issue. A discussion on size could very well have the potential to upset such women even more.

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable discussing any of my sizes or measurements with anyone other than a close, trusted friend. I keep my measurements private. That's just me, though.

Without wanting to go off topic, if people don't want to take part in the thread then they don't have to. There are always going to be threads that some people like and some people do not. I find this topic interesting, others don't. Some people post threads that I would dislike so I don't take part in them/read them. I don't see why a thread should be 'watched' purely because some people may get upset.
    Will wrote: »
    I've a question for the ladies.

Where do the measurements of sizes come from for women's clothes? I mean guys trousers are done by waist size and are numbered e.g 34", 36".

Manufacturers like to be awkward, some shops will have them sized as XS, S, M, L etc others, generally shops from the continent will have 01, 02, 03, 04. Who knows why they can't just do sizes like mens ones...and have more leg lengths than regular and long, a lot of us are short. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

maple wrote: »
    why do you want to know?? what does it matter what size people are?
    Im thinking that topic starter is probably <6 and just wants to boost her own ego. Could be wrong but it does seem like a completely useless topic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

g'em wrote: »
    lol yup :D It's both a health indicator (having a ratio above 0.85 for women indicates an apple shape, which is more prone to cardiovascular disease and diabetes) and a fertility indicator (there's a correlation between a hip:waist ratio of around 0.7 for women and good fertility).
    And fascinating as apparently Marlyn Monroe, the Venus de Milo, Various historical images of female beauty, Rubens nudes, Twiggy and Kate moss although different "sizes" are all around that ratio.
    For guys the optimal is around 0.9
    Well I just googled a hipwaist calculator(I know. They exist:eek:) and I came back with one of 0.91 and the only thing keeping me out of a pine box and Glasnevin is sheer spite and luck. So I'm calling shenanigans on the male one anyway. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Any further discussion on moderating of this forum will be met with a ban. If you have an issue with moderation, please pm a mod, or the Cmod.
    Please do not drag threads off topic.

If you cannot contribute, please do not post. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

And fascinating as apparently Marlyn Monroe, the Venus de Milo, Various historical images of female beauty, Rubens nudes, Twiggy and Kate moss although different "sizes" are all around that ratio.
    Absolutely - it goes to show that although the popularly "pretty" women will change through the ages (and are very largely influenced by the media) the most iconic figures of beauty all have something in common. That is, there's a common evolutionary feature amongst them, they're all the fittest - in evolutionary terms anyway.
    Wibbs wrote:
    Well I just googled a hipwaist calculator(I know. They exist:eek:) and I came back with one of 0.91 and the only thing keeping me out of a pine box and Glasnevin is sheer spite and luck. So I'm calling shenanigans on the male one anyway. :D
    Not shenanigans at all - it's a reflector of fertility health mroe than anything, and (hope you don't mind me saying this but you've been vocal about it before) you have higher than normal testosterone levels for a bloke don't you? So there's more of a grain of truth in it after all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I'm an 8 - 10. Working on reducing that number.
    Many women (and some men) spend their lives wishing to have less weight on them.
    I agree with what Kate Moss says, namely that there's nothing that tastes as good as being thin feels.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm a size 12, and I'm quite happy about that because I used to be a size 18-20.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

I have sisters and when we're all together, all they do is comment on eachothers size...i hate it!

And i hate the way skinny girls say "o i'm so big" I usually just agree with them to shut them up:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

seanybiker wrote: »
    Im thinking that topic starter is probably <6 and just wants to boost her own ego. Could be wrong but it does seem like a completely useless topic.

That's not very nice :(

I said I was a 10/12, I'm actually overweight I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

z_topaz wrote: »
    I agree with what Kate Moss says, namely that there's nothing that tastes as good as being thin feels.

I don't agree with that

g'em wrote: »
    Absolutely - it goes to show that although the popularly "pretty" women will change through the ages (and are very largely influenced by the media) the most iconic figures of beauty all have something in common.
    I agree and its a real pity so many women dont get that. They may feel if they're a size whatever they dont fit. Too fat in one culture too skinny in another. In that way I feel there is hope now. *mad analogy alert* There was a time that a certain skirt length was the fashion and outside of that one wasn't quite "with it"*. Now there is much less of that. Long skirt works as does short. It's a skirt that succeeds or fails depending on the colour or style itself. Theres more choice. Maybe its this postmodernist notion? Either way if sizes and individual womens bodies go the same way then that's surely so much better. I know from my male mates they have very variable notions of what they like. Very very few plug into the Vogue notion of feminine sizing, thats for sure.

*god I'm old. I nearly said "hip":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Many women (and some men) spend their lives wishing to have less weight on them.

Kate Moss is an airhead. There are more intelligent role models out there in fairness. :confused:

I'm a size 12, and I'm quite happy about that because I used to be a size 18-20.

That's a phenomenal achievement, well done!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 geeniebops

Size 12. Was skinny throughout my teens, love having a shape now. Clothes in wardrobe go from 10 - 14 but mostly size 12's.

:eek: Thats a helluva change. A male mate of mine has had a similar change size wise so I have a fair idea of the work involved. Not easy and fair play to do that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

What about nachos?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I think measurements are a far better indicator:
    35-26.5-38.5
    I'm usually size 8-10 but sizes these days are all over the place really!

+1

I was a 16, I'm now a 12 in pretty much in everything, every shop, and I'm delighted because I worked damned hard to get here!

Yay for us!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Congrats, that's very inspiring for those of us still 'downsizing'! I also was an 18/20 and am starting to fit into a size 14. Ultimate goal is also a 12 so it's great to hear of someone who achieved it! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

My opinion is that the models are far too skinny to ever be considered roll models...was a size 6 and I hated it...being a size 10 is healthy to me though I do apreciate that some women are just naturally skinny...the .67 ratio is aesthetically pleasing.

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    That's not very nice :(

I said I was a 10/12, I'm actually overweight I'd say

I don't think it is possible to be overweight at a size 10/12. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

Is it a sign that Im very comfortable being who I am that I havent got the foggiest what 0.67 ratio means?

DubLass wrote: »
    Is it a sign that Im very comfortable being who I am that I havent got the foggiest what 0.67 ratio means?

:D I'm a fitness nerd so I know too much about these things! It's the ratio of your waist measurement to your hips - for health reasons women would ideally be between 0.7ish and 0.85ish (anything higher indicates you're carrying a lot of tummy weight which can be dangerous for your health). Anything under .7 means you have much bigger hips than waist i.e. an hourglass or pear shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

I own jeans that are size 6 and I own jeans that are size 10... they all fit.

I went for a size 10 as Im a 10 on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

Oh! Me thinks I might be a pear, but I like pears :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

CathyMoran wrote: »
    My opinion is that the models are far too skinny to ever be considered roll models...was a size 6 and I hated it...being a size 10 is healthy to me though I do apreciate that some women are just naturally skinny...the .67 ratio is aesthetically pleasing.

+10000000

Completely agree. When I was a 6-8 I was not a happy lady, the fact that I was so stressed that I could lose so much weight (I nearly died when I checked the scales and I was 7.9) is terrifying. I never looked unhealthy but I didn't feel feminine really. I'm under 5ft so even being a 6 wasn't a major thing but I'm much healthier now. And my boobs have gone up two sizes! Nothing feels nicer than having nice hips, a nice bust and an invisible rib cage.

Given the choice to be a 6 again I'd refuse. I feel much better this way :D

*Skinny is not attractive. Healthy and fit is.

*not saying thin girls are unattractive, just pointing out that there is such thing as too thin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I think about 98% of women wish they could downsize or upsize for very skinny women, some part of their body. It's perfectly normal.

What Kate Moss said was stupid, I'd rather be a size 20 and enjoy my food than starve myself to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I'm a size 12/14 and happy with my body. I have big boobs, flat tummy, small waist - only thing a bit annoying is big hips but I can live with them! I like having curves and I've never heard any complaints from anyone else :D A lot depends on what body shape you have, I know women a size 8 and others a size 16 that have great bodies.

Advertisement