Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Size Are You Girls =D

Options
  • 22-11-2009 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭

This may have been done before so sorry mods if it has =[

Sooo, what size are you? :)

What Size Are You? 258 votes

< 6
    0% 0 votes
    5% 14 votes
    18% 47 votes
    30% 79 votes
    22% 57 votes
    13% 35 votes
    > 18
    10% 26 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

6"3' :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

6"3' :P

Oops I meant clothing size! :P

Sorry! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i dont think anyone has a set size really,it depends on where you shop,and even then its rare your top and bottom are the same size!im usually an 8-10 on top and 10-12 on bottom as of late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

10 usually but 8 in M+S,their sizes are huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Size doesn't matter.
    What's important is being comfortable, being healthy and having a positive body image.

I can see this thread potentially offending some people, or making them feel self conscious.
    So, I'll just say now that women - and men - come in various shapes and sizes and we're all beautiful! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

why do you want to know?? what does it matter what size people are?

will be keeping a close eye on this thread and at the first size of nonsense its getting locked.

Maple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Normally a 10 but lately I've had to get some things in an 8.

I'm a size 16. I'm quite happy with that. I'd like to be fitter and less wobbley.
    But I quite like being broad, and having size.

Is it my imagination or have clothes sizes gotten bigger this season. :S

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I was a 16 at the start of the year, then I was a 14, right now I'm a 12, but I miss chinese takeaways so the longer this poll stays up, the more likely it is I'll have clicked all the options.

maple wrote: »

will be keeping a close eye on this thread and at the first size of nonsense its getting locked.

Maple.

You can lock it now then, there was no reason, thought the smiley face I added in was a friendly signal, if not I'm sorry so, there was a similiar one in after hours a while back asking people's weight, no need to be offended

• Advertisement

Silverfish wrote: »
    I was a 16 at the start of the year, then I was a 14, right now I'm a 12, but I miss chinese takeaways so the longer this poll stays up, the more likely it is I'll have clicked all the options.

That's inspirational! Well done Silverfish! :) Wish I could say the same! :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

10 sometimes a 12. Absolute truth. Found out due to a fancy dress do an ex of mine convinced me that we should both go along to in drag....... I swear........ The plan being I'd wear her stuff, she'd wear mine. She was near my height and narrow hipped so we were clothes twins.:)

Actually it fascinated me somewhat. She give me various shirt/blouse thingies to try and one would fit and be a 10 and another wouldn't and would be a 12. At that point I was soooo very glad I was not a lady. Talk about bloody confusing. Seriously though minefield :confused:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Silverfish wrote: »
    Rare I LOL but I did there. :D I'm thinking variable size? Good excuse to get more stuff.:)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    You can lock it now then, there was no reason, thought the smiley face I added in was a friendly signal, if not I'm sorry so, there was a similiar one in after hours a while back asking people's weight, no need to be offended

After Hours/Ladies Lounge are two very different forums. What works there might not work here and vice versa.

The issue of size/weight can be a hugely inflammatory topic for some people hence my saying that I'd be keeping a close eye on this thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Maple.

It's just a thread, slight over reaction there, no? I'd be interested myself to see what the average is. There's a lot of speculation in the media about the size of the average woman etc etc

I'd actually love to do one with actual measurments, in an anonymous poll of course. I find these things interesting.

In general it depends on where you shop and the style of clothes doesn't it. Some jeans I have are a size 10 and swimming on me while some jeans from the same shop would be a size 10 and be just slightly big. Then my work trousers are an 8 and are HUGE. I'd usually be an 8 - 10 both on top and bottom, some styles of trousers though I'd have tried on a 12 to see if they were a better fit than the 10 like. You know how it is with crazy womens sizes. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Wibbs wrote: »
    Seriously though minefield :confused:

That's putting it mildly :D

I pay little heed to clothes sizes anymore because they really vary so, so much from shop to shop. I have everything from a size 8 to a size 14 in my wardrobe. I tend to take smaller sizes on top (tiny waist) and bigger sizes on the bottom (arse you could balance a teacup on :D).

The only measurement I ever really pay attention to is my hip:waist measurement - currently it's a nice hourglassy 0.67 (best part of a break-up, no more sharing massive take-aways :pac: ) and I fully intend to keep it that way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

A lady never tells

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

According to my measurements, I'm a size 6-8 in British sizing. In the states, I run anywhere from a 0 to a 6, so it all depends on the clothes and shop I also have a problem with fitting things at my waist as it's really tiny in proportion to the rest of my body, so I often have to fit clothes at my hips/bum and then have a tailor take in the waist.

g'em wrote: »
    I have everything from a size 8 to a size 14 in my wardrobe.

Me too! I'd have either a 10 or 12! Coats and jackets I like big so i'd buy 14! But 12 is my usual size! Sometimes a 10 in t-shirts and 12 on bottom! Thank god for top shop and river island :p

It's just a thread, slight over reaction there, no?
    See below for response to your over reaction question.
    After Hours/Ladies Lounge are two very different forums. What works there might not work here and vice versa.

The issue of size/weight can be a hugely inflammatory topic for some people hence my saying that I'd be keeping a close eye on this thread.

• Advertisement

Without wishing to speak on maple's behalf (but I will anyway, she can kill me for it later :D) but these threads can be very reductionist (do we really want to become associated with our clothes size??). When they go well, coolerbooler, but when they don't... well, the words cluster and fcuk come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

i am a plus sizer..... 16 or 18 depends.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Pre-pregnancy I was a 6...way too skinny...an 8-10 is a better size for me but it was hard to get beyond a size 8. I did have the .67 ratio though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I'm an 8 but in some shops I've been fitting into a 10 but I'm not complaining, after a horrible break up I dropped to a 6-8 and it just didn't suit me, my hair started falling out and everything. Now I'm a healthy size eight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Honestly, I don't think it was an over reaction at all.

Is it not obvious how easily a thread about women's clothing sizes could get into dodgy - or nasty - territory?

A lot of women are very self conscious about their bodies and size can be a very sensitive issue. A discussion on size could very well have the potential to upset such women even more.

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable discussing any of my sizes or measurements with anyone other than a close, trusted friend. I keep my measurements private. That's just me, though.

g'em wrote: »

I pay little heed to clothes sizes anymore because they really vary so, so much from shop to shop. I have everything from a size 8 to a size 14 in my wardrobe.
    Well if I as a man in a one off dalliance into women clothing(ease up on the sniggering ladies) was utterly confused as far as what consitituted the right size? Sheesh. No wonder so many more women use dressing rooms to check the stuff fits. I would rarely use a dressing room for shirts trousers etc. I know my size and if it says so on the label... In 20 odd years I reckon I've returned one item of clothing(though Ive wanted to return more cos of fashion crime:s:)).
    The only measurement I ever really pay attention to is my hip:waist measurement - currently it's a nice hourglassy 0.67
    Apparently the best indicator of health(Jesus look who Im talking to here:o:D). same for guys only a diff ratio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I've a question for the ladies.

Where do the measurements of sizes come from for women's clothes? I mean guys trousers are done by waist size and are numbered e.g 34", 36".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Wibbs wrote: »
    Apparently the best indicator of health(Jesus look who Im talking to here:o:D). same for guys only a diff ratio?
    lol yup :D It's both a health indicator (having a ratio above 0.85 for women indicates an apple shape, which is more prone to cardiovascular disease and diabetes) and a fertility indicator (there's a correlation between a hip:waist ratio of around 0.7 for women and good fertility).

For guys the optimal is around 0.9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Will wrote: »
    I've a question for the ladies.

Where do the measurements of sizes come from for women's clothes? I mean guys trousers are done by waist size and are numbered e.g 34", 36".

It's supposed to be done by waist size/hip size/bust too. I figured out I was between a 6 and 8 by googling my measurements + British sizes. But there's a lot of variance in sizes for some reason. Maybe because stores believe that women will buy more if a smaller size is on the tag?

Advertisement