Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish men and weight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MAB83

I think young lads are more concerned about their fitness and health these days and a lot more than we were 10 or 20 years ago so yeah I'd say more of them will keep it up than the guys 10/20/30 years older than them did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I was in the gym at 8.30am this morning, working on getting my 300/Superman physique. Still a right while to go but I feel good that I went, even if I got more soaked from the rain in the 20 second walk from my car to the door, than I did during my workout. Was there yesterday afternoon also.

And yes, I do have a belly. Which is why I'm in the process of getting rid of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Man's got some serious lats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

MAB83 wrote: »
    I think young lads are more concerned about their fitness and health these days and a lot more than we were 10 or 20 years

Of course they are.

The pressure on men to be fit the chisled, toned, handsome ideal male is just as prevalent as is the pressure on women. Actually, I would say it is worse for young men today than it is for young girls for many reasons much to serious for AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭gavney

OutlawPete wrote: »
    The whole of my post was an attempt at sarcasm. I believe the opposite of what I wrote.

To clarify.

I believe women, in general, will go for well toned tall men who treat them like crap. Nice chubby Brian (sorry Brian) doesn't get a look in no matter what claptrap women will come out with.

Out of all my mates it is 'the players' that get the hot chicks. I also have mates who are sound and girls will chat to them all night about men are bast*rds, but then ultimately you'll see those same girls getting into a taxi with a very fit creep.

One of my gf's mates once said - "a nice guy is not gonna f*ck you the way a bast*rd would".

Women are always honest when p*ssed :)

sorry, you pulled off the sarcasm TOO well!!

i think the above is right. But in my experience "player" doesn't necessarily equate to good looking. But anyway, IMO it's generally a situation of 80% of single women having sex with 10% of guys....:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

WeeBushy wrote: »
    They outrageously buff eastern european men haven't made us change our slobbish ways.

I think you'll just have to accept the fact that I can have a hairy arse and you have to be hot :pac:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I've been out with fat guys and generally they were total bastards.

So basically all men suck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

In the wake of all of the debate in AH about the desirability of Irish women, I found this article from the Irish Times on men and weight rather interesting.

Despite all of the fuss on the boards about "muffin tops" and "manly arms" on Irish women, apparently pot bellies among the guys aren't uncommon either. But according to the article men aren't that concerned. And in general, women seem to be more ok with having a chunky partner than vice-versa.

Maybe if Ireland suddenly experienced an influx of slim and trim South American men they would step up their game and hit the gym - the same way Irish women are apparently expected to with the influx of slimmer Eastern European women? :rolleyes: Or maybe the economic crisis will force more men to cut down on the pints/fish and chips/breakfast fry-ups? Perhaps something good can come out of the recession...
    ASL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

The whole of my post was an attempt at sarcasm. I believe the opposite of what I wrote.

To clarify.

I believe women, in general, will go for well toned tall men who treat them like crap. Nice chubby Brian (sorry Brian) doesn't get a look in no matter what claptrap women will come out with.

Out of all my mates it is 'the players' that get the hot chicks. I also have mates who are sound and girls will chat to them all night about men are bast*rds, but then ultimately you'll see those same girls getting into a taxi with a very fit creep.

One of my gf's mates once said - "a nice guy is not gonna f*ck you the way a bast*rd would".

Women are always honest when p*ssed :)

Hm, I still think in the long run, men may come out on top here.

Will a toned, good-looking guy be more likely to score in a club? Absolutely. But just because someone is a good ride doesn't mean they are a good person. If a girl has any sense, this is not the kind of guy she would settle with. Unfortunately I think a lot of girls fall into the trap of "he's a bastard, but he can lay pipe" and then after a few rounds, they start to catch feelings...at which point they start moaning to their friends - and to random nice guys in bars - about how horrible men are. :)

That said, a chunky girl will probably be able to take someone home with her at the end of the night, especially after he's had a few. But in the long run (i.e. starting in your late 20s) this doesn't really work as well, and the nice-but-overweight girl may find it difficult to settle.

So to recap, I suppose, flabby girls can get laid, but may die fat and alone and be found three weeks later, half-eaten by wild dogs. Flabby guys may not take that many girls home with them from the pub, but have a better long-term chance of finding a partner. And hot fit guys (especially those with game) can get lots of ass and settle when they feel like it.

Yes, life is unfair.

ASL?

30s, female, American in Spain by way of Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

phasers wrote: »
    I've been out with fat guys and generally they were total bastards.

You're a woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

stovelid wrote: »
    You're a woman?
    Or gay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

but he can lay pipe

hahaha haven't heard that one in a long time. Cue lots of wavin references.

Hmmm I just woke up after sleeping off hangover and chips.
    I think a run is in order :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Have also regularly heard fat women sneering at average weight women for being "stick insects" etc. There is definitely a skewed perception out there as to what is thin, average and fat.

Yet if you call them fat ignorant cnuts there'll be howls of 'Fatism! Fat acceptance!' Hypocrits
    BrianD3 wrote: »
    And in my experience Irish women prefer men with a "bulky" look which usually means he's 17+ stone builder with a beer belly, who talks a load of bullsh1t in the pub and thinks because of his size that he's a "hard man" in a fight.

Not me, I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole
    BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I don't know where you're getting this from, that they go for fat guys. I have a friend who doesn't eat and is a total rake and gets more chicks than any of my friends or I ever have.
    A lot of girls seem to like painfully thin guys too.

I heard that skinny guys compensate by being larger in other areas. Maybe that's why he gets girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Demonique wrote: »
    I heard that skinny guys compensate by being larger in other areas.

Oh dear. Fat guys were once skinny guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

irish men are all buff

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'd rather have a fat guy than a skinny guy. I eat healthily and train a lot so I tend to be attracted to guys who'd be similar to me in their attitudes/lifestyle etc. Then I'm single so who cares what I like. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

phasers wrote: »
    Or gay

Either way, win win :pac:

hahaha haven't heard that one in a long time. Cue lots of wavin references.

Pardon my Yankee ignorance, but what's "wavin"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Pardon my Yankee ignorance, but what's "wavin"?

[url=http://www.wavin.com[/url]Wavin Pipes[/url] ;)

• Advertisement

dead link
    http://www.wavin.com/com/index.html

there we go

hahaha when i was in school if a guy had hooked up with some girl and lads wanted to know how far it went one guy would ask - 'did ye lay pipe?' to which the answer was 'savage wavin'....hahaha:D

hahaha when i was in school if a guy had hooked up with some girl and lads wanted to know how far it went one guy would ask - 'did ye lay pipe?' to which the answer was 'savage wavin'....hahaha:D

In my school 'laying pipe' was something totally different and thank God a girl from your school never asked me to lay some pipe in her or she would have got some fecking shock I tell ya :D

In my school 'laying pipe' was something totally different and thank God a girl from your school never asked me to lay some pipe in her or she would have got some fecking shock I tell ya :D

Um which meant ?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

WeeBushy wrote: »
    They outrageously buff eastern european men haven't made us change our slobbish ways.

I think you'll just have to accept the fact that I can have a hairy arse and you have to be hot :pac:

Most of them appear to love steroids, LOVE steroids. If they stand up they break a sweat!!

I've recently become slightly obsessed with my body, trying to look good and all that. I've taken up a lot of exercise, joined a gym and a football team. But it doesn't work. From what I can tell women don't give a **** what kind of body you have

Um which meant ?

In my school if you said "I'm going to lay pipe" .. meant you were going for a sh*te :D

I remember when I first went out with a girl from the country (Kerry) and I heard the word 'shift' for the first time in context with getting off with someone, I had no idea what they were all on about. "Did you shift yer women?" sounds strange when you first hear it.

Like 'Aussies' saying Root I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭PFJSplitter

As fast food chains grow ever more popular and expand globally, so do many unsuspecting waistlines. Fortunately, it is NOT restricted to the males of the species...

JangoFett wrote: »
    I've recently become slightly obsessed with my body, trying to look good and all that. I've taken up a lot of exercise, joined a gym and a football team. But it doesn't work. From what I can tell women don't give a **** what kind of body you have

Recently the NY Times published an article on why exercise doesn't necessarily lead to weight loss. Though if you want to tone up and/or get buff I'd think you would have to work some cardio and free weights in somewhere.

I think women care, but I think they care about the state of men's bodies less than men care about the state of women's bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Nobody knows what women want, not even women themselves. Women I find tend will go for the chubbier guy over the skinnier guy. I would say this is because they unconsciously perceive it to be more masculine but I'm probably completely wrong.

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Nobody knows what women want, not even women themselves.

I think what women want (ok what this fickle woman wants, anyway) may be a response to what they have just had. The last guy I dated was kind of fussy about everything: he exercised regularly, was careful about what he ate, and basically spent his whole life never trying to rock the boat. The current guy I'm dating smokes like a chimney, drinks like a fish, and doesn't give a **** about what other people think about him or his life choices. It is a blessed relief, and I don't miss the ex's six-pack one bit. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Weight has never bothered me at all. I have fancied heavy lads and slim lads. I haven't even thought about it, It really doesn't matter.

Height would be more important than weight imo(and many girls I know)....which is a bit of a shame as lads can't do much about what height they are.

Advertisement