Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do Irish men find Irish women so unattractive?

• 12-11-2009 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I'm expecting an awful lot of Mary Harney jokes in this thread, but I have a question.

Do you think Irish men find Irish women unattractive due to the perceived notion that Irish women don't have the nicest personalities? Every time a thread opens up about Irish women, the men go on about how awful their personalities are, particularly in clubs, saying they're particularly abrasive, etc.

While I've not found this to be hugely true, although I have encountered it, do you think it somehow detracts from their looks? I find Irish women absolutely stunning on average; walking down the street in any given city I spot loads of beautiful full-blood Irish girls, but for some reason Irish men just don't see it. All you have to do is look at the picture thread in tLL to realize that even the nerdy boards types (:p) are gorgeous.

So why don't Irish men see it? Why do they prefer Eastern European looks? Funnily enough, on average the Eastern European women I've met haven't had a patch on the average Irish girl.

Is it a case of me just liking the Irish look, and they're not actually that good-looking, or is it the perception of the female Irish attitude that makes Irish men not notice their looks as much?

Kind of a tough question for me to word properly in the state I'm in, but hopefully my point gets across without any offense.

It's funny; when it does get down to men's taste in Irish women, they reference Irish TV celebs like the Seoige sisters, who I don't really see as being the "cream of the crop," so to say. I see far more aesthetically blessed girls down the pub after work than I do on any Irish television channel.

So what is it? What am I missing? Do I just have weird taste? Or is it down to attitude perception?

Do Irish men find Irish women unnattractive? 222 votes

Yes, Irish women are unattractive.
    0% 0 votes
    No, like any nationality some are attractive and some are not.
    100% 222 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Ah they dont really, they just arent getting any and have become bitter.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I don't, I prefer Irish women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

liah wrote: »
    I'm expecting an awful lot of Mary Harney jokes in this thread, but I have a question.

Do you think Irish men find Irish women unattractive due to the perceived notion that Irish women don't have the nicest personalities? Every time a thread opens up about Irish women, the men go on about how awful their personalities are, particularly in clubs, saying they're particularly abrasive, etc.

While I've not found this to be hugely true, although I have encountered it, do you think it somehow detracts from their looks? I find Irish women absolutely stunning on average; walking down the street in any given city I spot loads of beautiful full-blood Irish girls, but for some reason Irish men just don't see it. All you have to do is look at the picture thread in tLL to realize that even the nerdy boards types (:p) are gorgeous.

So why don't Irish men see it? Why do they prefer Eastern European looks? Funnily enough, on average the Eastern European women I've met haven't had a patch on the average Irish girl.

Is it a case of me just liking the Irish look, and they're not actually that good-looking, or is it the perception of the female Irish attitude that makes Irish men not notice their looks as much?
    I find Irish women attractive in general. Yes there are some stuck up cows out there no doubt, but the majority of girls i meet are lovely. Irish men will say they prefer the Eastern European look because for the first time ever in our history, we are seeing Polish and Lithuanian girls walking down our streets every day and they are different looking from the norm. Anything that is different or new is often exciting to a whole range of people. A few more years of this, and the Eastern effect will have worn off guys, and the majority of Irish men will return to liking their Irish ladies. I myself find Irish girls very sexy, they know how to laugh and there's something innately cute about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

Kind of a tough question for me to word properly in the state I'm in, but hopefully my point gets across without any offense.

It's funny; when it does get down to men's taste in Irish women, they reference Irish TV celebs like the Seoige sisters, who I don't really see as being the "cream of the crop," so to say. I see far more aesthetically blessed girls down the pub after work than I do on any Irish television channel.

So what is it? What am I missing? Do I just have weird taste? Or is it down to attitude perception?

After 1,792 posts you should know better than to ask such a question on AH and expect a serious debate!

Even I as a resident of the virgin islands, with 500 posts realised this after my first couple of threads :);):rolleyes:

All the best with the thread......:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Irish women rule! Although not those ones you find in clubs that all look the same and wear the same clothes. But you find those in any country.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

The avg european girl is nowhere near as hot as irish lads make them out to be!. I will give them one thing though, they eat alot better thus on avg, a slimmer figure. Give me a hot irish girl anyday though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

The reason some Irish men don't like Irish women is because they are negative and usually opinionated I find. They only see the bad in people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Irish women are hot. Boardsies are most likely taking the p*ss.

Also

tl;dr Liah is a lezzie, and is offering free photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

You know, I really do think at this stage that the antipathy to Irish women that the OP brings up is a uniquely AH phenomenon. In real life, I have rarely (if ever) come across the same sentiments; indeed, the most that the Irish guys that I know would say about the matter is something along the lines of "yeah, I love that whole slim, blonde look the Eastern Europeans have". Never, though, this particular hostility to own own womenfolk.

I'm just going to be honest and say that it's the bitterness of the constantly spurned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

john-joe wrote: »
    Even I as a virgin

Unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Melange wrote: »
    You know, I really do think at this stage that the antipathy to Irish women that the OP brings up is a uniquely AH phenomenon. In real life, I have rarely (if ever) come across the same sentiments; indeed, the most that the Irish guys that I know would say about the matter is something along the lines of "yeah, I love that whole slim, blonde look the Eastern Europeans have". Never, though, this particular hostility to own own womenfolk.

I'm just going to be honest and say that it's the bitterness of the constantly spurned.

It's just that people are more likely to start a thread whinging about something that to start a "Aren't irish women hot?" thread.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I have an Irish girlfriend, no issues with looks at all

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

I find Irish women absolutely stunning on average; walking down the street in any given city I spot loads of beautiful full-blood Irish girls, but for some reason Irish men just don't see it.

You've never been to Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Yore ma isn't that bad. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Irish women tyically have a good personality. Humour is the winner here...looks do lack & maybe lay off the chocolate & gallons of beer love :D

Travel the great corners of this earth - then real beauty is shown....e.g. Canadian chicks are stunning...typically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

R0ot wrote: »
    Yore ma isn't that bad. :pac:

My ma is Irish?! Learn something new every day!

Guess it explains the red hair. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Personality does come out in looks. A complete bitch looks like it, a sweet girl also looks like it.
    Irish women generally can look very nice. It's when they throw on a ridiculous amount of make up and fake tan that they lose that look. Comparing it to here, Irish women go far more extreme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

It's just the AH really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It all comes down to science

Irish burds = ugly (including the good looking ones)
    Foreign burds = hot (even the ugly ones)

Didn't you learn that in school, OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

When I was younger I didn’t think Irish women where bad looking at all but I did think that a lot of them had a bad attitude towards any man they didn’t know who would come up and talk to them if they wert interested.
    When I left the country and moved to England I found it easier to approach and talk to women in England then in Ireland and thought that it was just that Irish girls where stuck up.

I have to say that now I actually think it was my level of maturity and the fact was at the time when I approached girls to talk to I have to admit I was only interested in one thing that could have made the girls act like this.

When I moved to England it was essayer to talk to girls because we where all new at university and looking to make friends and I had an Irish accent and so was maybe a bit more interesting to talk to for them also.

Now when I go home I don’t think Irish girls are any more stuck up then anywhere else and we do have some stunningly beautiful women as well as our fair share of average and below average looking women just like everywhere else. I think much of it really is bitterness and a case of the grass is always greener on the other side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

Mr Yellow wrote: »
    Canadian chicks are stunning...typically

I wouldn't consider Canadian chicks to be any hotter than Irish girls TBH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,171 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

With such an emerging Multicultural background [Ireland] Its not surprising Irish are attracted to other nationalities that fall well outside of the genepool. I mean raise your hand if you've heard about bumping into a complete stranger in Dublin only to later uncover they were your 3rd cousin or something. Ireland is traditionally very communal with tight knit groups and very concentrated pockets of villages etc that remain static for several generations. Frankly, its only natural to get completely hot for 'fresh blood'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Fake tan. Very unattractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I personally find Irish wimms very attractive, I've been lucky enough to be with some stunners in my time.

You people just need to get outta dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I find Irish women to be attractive, but sweet holy mother of god do they have issues and tbh once you go East European you will never go back. Irish women collectively suffer from Mad Cow Disease and I reckon we must have amongst the highest populations of closet Lesbians in the world because one thing for certain in they don't like men but take some sort of sadomasochist pleasure out of torturing us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

Good post liah, all I'd say is you have to take what you see on AH with a pinch of salt. Maybe you've experienced this sort of attitude from guys in real life too but the thread that inspired this one I would doubt gives a fair representation of how we feel. I for example made two posts that were complete and utter piss-takes. Why? Because it's AH and in my five or six months reading this forum it seems to be the done thing.

In reality, there are a lot of beautiful women in Ireland, most of whom have perfectly normal/reasonable attitudes towards men. Perhaps the attitude of 'oh, they're all stuck up bítches' (that I alluded to in the other thread [tongue firmly in cheek]) emanates from a continued rejection.

Doc also makes a good point and one I can relate to. In England girls definitely seemed more 'keen' when they heard the Irish accent. It's something different. Much like for Irish guys a Spanish or Dutch girl is 'something' different than possibly an otherwise perfectly fine girl from Dublin, Cork or Galway and maybe that- rather than some perceived difference in 'class' appearance wise- is what it boils down to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think personality can make a big difference to the way someone looks. It's not that bitches are all ugly and nice girls are all unbelievably good looking or anything like that. What I've noticed is that the more I get to know people the more their personality affects how I perceive them physically.

For example say I meet a good looking girl and she has a slightly out of place nose or something. It's nothing major but it's kinda noticeable. If this girl turns out to be a stuck up bitch, annoying two faced etc. then I'll start noticing that nose a hell of a lot more and it'll annoy me more and more. It would get to the stage where I'd have to remind myself to not stare at it. Whereas if the same girl turned out to nice, kind, a good laugh, easy going etc. then I probably would start to notice it less and less and notice her other good features (yes including those :D) more and more. It would get to the point where if someone said it to me and she wasn't around I'd call bull**** on it.

So if you have an ugly personality it will reflect in your physical appearance and accentuate the the ugly features of your body and if you have a nice personality it will reflect in your physical appearance as well and accentuate the nice features. Or at least that's what I've noticed. Other men might not be the same.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Fake tan. Very unattractive.
    Not if it's done right it's not. Same with everything. Same with make, it up can make a girl look unbelievable or look like some sort of bansky gone wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Not if it's done right it's not. Same with everything. Same with make, it up can make a girl look unbelievable or look like some sort of bansky gone wrong.

not possible, fake tan = terrible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I think some irelands like any other country we have our stunners, averadge and people with nice personalitys.

But i do think beauty is in the eye of the beholder to a large degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

tl;dr

have you seen half of them... jasus... ive seen better legs hanging out of a nest, more meat on a butchers apron, Rent a tent called.... your banned.

Eh... irish girls are not upto standards of the rest of the world but i rest safe in the knowledge that theirs still some fine lookin poor polish girls workin in spars centras etc.... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

The average European is way hotter than the average Irish woman. Go to belgium, germany, holland, poland or france during the summer... WOW.

Irish women tend to be bitchy, self righteous, holier than thou, high maintenance and generally not nice. They still have this braindead opinion that the man should pay for everything. It's ok to skip a bunch of guys in a queue because they have a set of tits. I don't hate Irish women, I just think a lot of them need a right slap in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

The average European is way hotter than the average Irish woman. Go to belgium, germany, holland, poland or france during the summer... WOW.

Irish women tend to be bitchy, self righteous, holier than thou, high maintenance and generally not nice. They still have this braindead opinion that the man should pay for everything. It's ok to skip a bunch of guys in a queue because they have a set of tits. I don't hate Irish women, I just think a lot of them need a right slap in the face.

the worst part is, girls from else where then Ireland are approachable, irish girls are but they might be say a 5 out of 10 but think their 100.... nothing wrong with feeling good about yourself, i endorse it but jesus.... how can they be such feckin ejjits ?

there are some rare excepts but all you'd want is a one night stand as you can cop ( and i read before ) that you suss someone out within the first .1 of a second of seeing them so " gettingto know you " means getting to see more of you litterally. Giggity.

ill keep tappin d4 burds though. Gotta get my bit can let them here me talkin like this or ill be still stuck waiting to see dr.b's c.... Tit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Its too broad a suggestion that Irish men find Irish women unattractive. Like anywhere else in the world theres some attractive people and some unattractive people. There are some with stuck up attitudes, and there are some with great personalities.

One thing I'll say is I hate fake tan myself, and never wear it. It can look ridiculous on our pale Irish skins. Some women could also do with class on how to apply their make-up too, the foundation colours can be so wrong.

I don't really have any issues with Irish guys. Some can be a bit twaty yeah - but most are a great laugh, whereas elsewhere in Europe the humour can be a bit stiff.
    I don't hate Irish women, I just think a lot of them need a right slap in the face.
    Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I've said it before, too many times to mentions, in too many threads to search for: Irish ladies are the most beautiful women in the world.
    They're also the most attractive, due to the fact that they're so sound, and assertive.

But christ, don't tell them that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

to be fair irish women have got there act together since the celtic tiger kicked in, bit more sophisticated, sexy

i remember back in the 80s when i was growing up there was some terrible looking mingers around, in my school for instance there was about 150 girls and only two were decent looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Because they believe their life should be like an episode of sex in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Because they believe their life should be like an episode of sex in the city.

Yep, we all want that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

Afraid of themselves (i.e. not being themselves), dress too slutty, act obnoxious, the only things that make women unattractive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Lads there are some terrible generalisations going on here.. how some of ye manage to get any at all is beyond me.

Not all of us here hate Irish women, I don't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Do you think Irish men find Irish women unattractive due to the perceived notion that Irish women don't have the nicest personalities??

Irish women have the best personalities, tbh thats what saves ye lot.

Yes, normal conventional thinking would have onebelieve that an irish womans snappy, bitch moany attitude would be a failing, however, i love it.. if my missus wasnt at it, it meant she probably left me, which in turn would probably sadden me a little and increase my postings in PI.

Joking aside, i love irish womens sence of humor, mind you i find english women share it too.. and they're all sluts, but im patriotic, i'll take one for the team and settle with an irish woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭cmpunk

There's all ways lags on a saterday night ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Irish women are lucky that Irish men are perfect in every way;)

And they should get down on their knees and thank god that they were allowed on the same Island as these examples in perfection of the male gender:D

Really some women just dont know when they have hit paydirt:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I don't have a problem with Irish women, but in general Irish people (male & female) have not been as blessed in the looks department as some other European countries. A crude but simple way of proving this is counting how many top models (or even just models who work internationally) come from Ireland... which the answer is probably zero.

However ignoring the above I do think a large part of the problem is many Irish women eat very badly, do little exercise, and think style is something you buy in Topshop. And of course, then there's the ridiculous phenomenon which is the large percentage of Irish women who think more makeup/more fake tan is somehow appealing.

So in general I think we haven't been blessed with the best natural looks in this country, and a lot of people don't make much of an effort to look nice. As stated earlier, this would apply to both men and women.

Regarding the bitchiness comment, Irish women are definitely a lot more defensive and conservative when compared to the average European, but they also tend to be funnier and slightly more independent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with Irish women, but in general Irish people (male & female) have not been as blessed in the looks department as some other European countries. A crude but simple way of proving this is counting how many top models (or even just models who work internationally) come from Ireland... which the answer is probably zero..

Just a note on that-- models typically have to be tall, not exactly a trait the Irish are known for. I've seen many, many women here who could pass as models (as well as a few who do modeling, both nationally and internationally), but a lot of them simply don't meet the height requirements, as a professional model is considered "short" at 5'8".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Irish men do find irish women attractive, its just that irish women tend to be more difficult than women of other nationalities. About a month ago they posted up a survey about how Irish women were the fussiest on the planet. This is a generalisation. I do know several guys that no longer bother trying to talk to Irish girls. They say that "There is no point, at least foreign girls will talk to you." To be honest I haven't found this to be the case. Irish girls will talk to you, you just have to put in way more effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Just a note on that-- models typically have to be tall, not exactly a trait the Irish are known for. I've seen many, many women here who could pass as models (as well as a few who do modeling, both nationally and internationally), but a lot of them simply don't meet the height requirements, as a professional model is considered "short" at 5'8".

Well if we exclude catwalk models, my point still stands. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

because most of them are overweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

D wrote: »
    Irish men do find irish women attractive, its just that irish women tend to be more difficult than women of other nationalities. About a month ago they posted up a survey about how Irish women were the fussiest on the planet. This is a generalisation. I do know several guys that no longer bother trying to talk to Irish girls. They say that "There is no point, at least foreign girls will talk to you." To be honest I haven't found this to be the case. Irish girls will talk to you, you just have to put in way more effort.

effort for what though, Irish girls are not attractive, I don't pick foreigners because they are easy, I pick them because they are better looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I think Irish women are generally fairly hot and I am impressed with the way even the not so hot ones take great care in their appearance, especially as they mature.

The only thing I would say about Irish women, there are quite a few who take it too far. Not so much with the fake tan and make up, but in the fact that they are genuinely in love with themselves. To coin a phrase, a lot of them, if they were chocolate, would eat themselves, except they live on lettuce, Latte and Vodka. Great examples of this would be the large number of talentless female RTE presenters who, for what appears to be fashion reasons, have changed their names to Irish so no one can pronounce them, die their hair yellow and hang around Lilly's practicing their stupid Californian accents.

Plenty of nice, down to earth good looking Irish lasses out there though, the Irish lads who moan about them just aren't good enough for them :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement