Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish men and weight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

You left me standing round the back :(

note to self: Don't offer Warfi a hug again:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

Bonito wrote: »
    You left me standing round the back :(

note to self: Don't offer Warfi a hug again:cool:

sorry, I just realised that I don't know where the 'back' is on the internet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

It's here http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm

But i doubt we can do much hugging :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Pdfile wrote: »
    im in the gym 6 days a week, always exercising, perfect diet, and im Somewhat toned... :|

loads of my mates aren't fat or out of shape, bar the odd exception, but thats normal

Honestly, please don't talk sh*te, if i wanted to hear it id listen to irish radio.

So you are assuming that you and your friends are representative of the entire male Irish population?

Did you even read the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dustyrip

The sad thing about the gym is that it is always full with Irish guys. In my gym the only girls that seem to use it are the Polish women and they are stunning.

When you see the Irish girls they go on the bike (worst exercise you can do in the gym, no point even doing it imo - lazy) or go in and have a chat with their friends. This has been the case in the 5 or 6 gyms that I have been a member of in my life.

One Irish girl came back to one of our house parties, poured a can of Guinness into a glass and drank it through a straw, it was appalling which is way I only score an Irish girl around 2.30 am if I haven't picked up some lucky foreigner.

I also have got rejected by ugly Irish girls when I went up to them pretending to chat them up and this has happened to a lot of my friends. Maybe they prefair to go home alone and eat ice-cream and crisps by themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

dustyrip wrote: »
    The sad thing about the gym is that it is always full with Irish guys. In my gym the only girls that seem to use it are the Polish women and they are stunning.

When you see the Irish girls they go on the bike (worst exercise you can do in the gym, no point even doing it imo - lazy) or go in and have a chat with their friends. This has been the case in the 5 or 6 gyms that I have been a member of in my life.

One Irish girl came back to one of our house parties, poured a can of Guinness into a glass and drank it through a straw, it was appalling which is way I only score an Irish girl around 2.30 am if I haven't picked up some lucky foreigner.

I also have got rejected by ugly Irish girls when I went up to them pretending to chat them up and this has happened to a lot of my friends. Maybe they prefair to go home alone and eat ice-cream and crisps by themselves.
    Yes, indeed we prefer gorging on crisps.
    You sound just lovely...those " lucky foreigners" can have you.

You sound like the type that hits the bike and walks on the treadmill? Won't burn calories that way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

You sound like the type that hits the bike and walks on the treadmill? Won't burn calories that way!!

Its times like this I wish AH could embed images for facepalms.
    Thisll just have to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

of course you will

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭zebrafumbler

Yes indeed the Irish are a munther nation. Bad gene pool for the most part:pac:

• Advertisement

indough wrote: »
    of course you will

Are you serious? Any gym Instructor will tell you to stay away from the bikes. Slow walking on the treadmill and using the bikes will take ages to loose weight. You need to be on the treadmill/Crosstrainer/Swimming.......

Do I need to give a definition of the above for the lovely Irish girls, or are you two busy eating your ice-cream and crisps?? I hear eating them late at night is great for loosing weight!!

Yeah I prefer the foreign girls, I find them more interesting and more naturally pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

BS if girls like skinny guys.BS.

by saying 'fit guys' that means the guys have to be big = chunky.

if you wanna have a punch in the face of men(in the revenge of us saying women have scary beer belly and arms),try a different approach please!

Are you serious? Any gym Instructor will tell you to stay away from the bikes. Slow walking on the treadmill and using the bikes will take ages to loose weight. You need to be on the treadmill/Crosstrainer/Swimming.......

and how did you get "Won't burn calories that way!!" from that?

gym instructors do not tell you to stay away from the bikes anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

lol love the facepalm medley

seraphimvc wrote: »
    (in the revenge of us saying women have scary beer belly and arms),try a different approach please!
    Beer arms & scary belly? :confused:

Pretending to chat up? Lol. When do you decide you are 'pretending' to chat them, before or after they reject you ?

and how did you get "Won't burn calories that way!!" from that?

gym instructors do not tell you to stay away from the bikes anyway

You said 'Of couse you will'.

The first day I joined my gym I asked my Instructor what were the things to avoid if you wanted to reduce your BMI and he was like 'the bike'. People think they are doing great exercise on the bike but your not burning the calories like you would be running on the treadmill. I know, the treadmill is a lot harder, but once you use it a bit you get used to it. If you ever look around the gym, its generally the people who are overweight on the bikes or 'fit' people doing a warm down. This is well known!! I use the treadmill most days and its great for everything really, only my knees hurt sometimes:mad:

i said of course you will because you will

you even burn calories sitting still so i doubt you burn less when cycling a bike

and yes you will burn a significant level of calories on the bike, as long as you keep your heart rate up, it might not be as much as on the treadmill but it will still be something

anyway it will be better than sitting on the couch watching tv so should be encouraged rather than taking the piss

i said of course you will because you will

you even burn calories sitting still so i doubt you burn less when cycling a bike

and yes you will burn a significant level of calories on the bike, as long as you keep your heart rate up, it might not be as much as on the treadmill but it will still be something

anyway it will be better than sitting on the couch watching tv so should be encouraged rather than taking the piss

Yeah of course you will burn calories but if you are trying to loose weight I would personally stay away from the bikes as you will never loose weight by just using the bike.

By running on a treadmill for thirty minutes you can burn up to 350 calories. By using the bike, I would say aound 150.

I have great respect for anyone who goes to the gym.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

hmmmm I disagree on what you say about the bike, a good super spin class gets the sweat going big time and I do quite a lot of running myself

markfla wrote: »
    hmmmm I disagree on what you say about the bike, a good super spin class gets the sweat going big time and I do quite a lot of running myself

Spinning is great. I am talking about the normal bikes in the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

Spinning is great. I am talking about the normal bikes in the gym.

ah right, you're correct about the normal ones I guess, i see loads of people just sauntering along watching fair city and the likes on them in my gym...bit of a waste.
    I would have been disappointed if spinning was doing nothing for me as I do be wrecked after it!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

You said 'Of couse you will'.

The first day I joined my gym I asked my Instructor what were the things to avoid if you wanted to reduce your BMI and he was like 'the bike'. People think they are doing great exercise on the bike but your not burning the calories like you would be running on the treadmill. I know, the treadmill is a lot harder, but once you use it a bit you get used to it. If you ever look around the gym, its generally the people who are overweight on the bikes or 'fit' people doing a warm down. This is well known!! I use the treadmill most days and its great for everything really, only my knees hurt sometimes:mad:
    and running on a treadmill isn that good. as there is no real way for hills and slopes. Much better for you and easier on yer knees if you can run through a field and what not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭PFJSplitter

Guys are so damned thick - and they think it funny.............FFS, get a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Guys are so damned thick - and they think it funny.............FFS, get a clue.

What did I do?? :o

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Yeah of course you will burn calories but if you are trying to loose weight I would personally stay away from the bikes as you will never loose weight by just using the bike.

By running on a treadmill for thirty minutes you can burn up to 350 calories. By using the bike, I would say aound 150.

If you are only burning 150 calories while on the bike, then you are doing it wrong. The only way it would be that low is if you are doing the cycling equivalent of walking on the treadmill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Blowfish wrote: »
    If you are only burning 150 calories while on the bike, then you are doing it wrong. The only way it would be that low is if you are doing the cycling equivalent of walking on the treadmill.

Definitely, on average if I did 20 mins on my bike I'd burn anywhere within 300-400 calories, and that's only on a fourth gear setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Pretending to chat them up. Ha ha. Thats a really funny post.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Definitely, on average if I did 20 mins on my bike I'd burn anywhere within 300-400 calories, and that's only on a fourth gear setting.

Thats very unlikely, and I personally don't believe you. In an average spinning class of 45 mins you can burn up to 450 calories and they are very hard.

The comment you just posted is obviously coming from someone who dosen't know what they are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭thatsa spicy

Sure its common sense. Its far easier to cycle for 20 mins at a moderate pace than it is to run on a threadmill for 20 mins at the same pace. So, by the law of "no pain, no gain", running burns more calories!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Few foreign girls in my gym, many Irish girls. Some of them fat and some slim. Some just do stupid things that won't really help them. LOTS of fat men, even in the weights room, maybe they should just stick to their pints of guinness and kebabs?

Do I need to give a definition of the above for the lovely Irish girls, or are you two busy eating your ice-cream and crisps?? I hear eating them late at night is great for loosing weight!!

Yeah I prefer the foreign girls, I find them more interesting and more naturally pretty.

Depends on the effort level on the bike, gear setting, programme setting etc same as on the cross trainer and treadmill you can saunter along on them as well. Cycling is a great, non-weight bearing way to exercise even on stationary exercise bikes, as I say it depends on what they do on it.

You must be a crap runner I'd burn about 100 calories more than that over 30 minutes on the treadmill. That being said the treamill is the dullest piece of equipment in the world I don't know how anyone can stick it for longer than 10 minutes.
    Thats very unlikely, and I personally don't believe you. In an average spinning class of 45 mins you can burn up to 450 calories and they are very hard.

The comment you just posted is obviously coming from someone who dosen't know what they are talking about.

LOLZ!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Men with a bit of weight with a great personality = Okay with me.
    I can see past it, its not an issue.

Men with a lot of weight with a great personality = not okay
    Because I'd like them, but I'm afraid for them.

Advertisement