Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish men and weight

Options
  • 21-11-2009 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭

In the wake of all of the debate in AH about the desirability of Irish women, I found this article from the Irish Times on men and weight rather interesting.

Despite all of the fuss on the boards about "muffin tops" and "manly arms" on Irish women, apparently pot bellies among the guys aren't uncommon either. But according to the article men aren't that concerned. And in general, women seem to be more ok with having a chunky partner than vice-versa.

Maybe if Ireland suddenly experienced an influx of slim and trim South American men they would step up their game and hit the gym - the same way Irish women are apparently expected to with the influx of slimmer Eastern European women? :rolleyes: Or maybe the economic crisis will force more men to cut down on the pints/fish and chips/breakfast fry-ups? Perhaps something good can come out of the recession...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

They outrageously buff eastern european men haven't made us change our slobbish ways.

I think you'll just have to accept the fact that I can have a hairy arse and you have to be hot :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

In the wake of all of the debate in AH about the desirability of Irish women, I found this article from the Irish Times on men and weight rather interesting.

Despite all of the fuss on the boards about "muffin tops" and "manly arms" on Irish women, apparently pot bellies among the guys aren't uncommon either. But according to the article men aren't that concerned. And in general, women seem to be more ok with having a chunky partner than vice-versa.

Maybe if Ireland suddenly experienced an influx of slim and trim South American men they would step up their game and hit the gym - the same way Irish women are apparently expected to with the influx of slimmer Eastern European women? :rolleyes: Or maybe the economic crisis will force more men to cut down on the pints/fish and chips/breakfast fry-ups? Perhaps something good can come out of the recession...

Is that kettle boiled yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

WeeBushy wrote: »
    They outrageously buff eastern european men haven't made us change our slobbish ways.

I think you'll just have to accept the fact that I can have a hairy arse and you have to be hot :pac:

Having a hairy arse and having a hairy wide arse are two different things, no? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

the more fat men the better, as long as I stay fit and gorgeous ;). Anyway in truth, I tend to notice more fat chicks than men in this country. But that might be just because I don't eye up blokes quite as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

Ah,so that's were the name WeeBushy came from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

in general, women seem to be more ok with having a chunky partner than vice-versa.

That's cause women are better than men. They have an ability to see a man in a nightclub or a supermarket and look past a beer belly or fat ot that few extra stone and see the real person underneath.

You'll see women each and every day approaching guys telling them that they can see that they have a lovely personality and would love to date them, as tall dark handsome fit guys just walk passed all depressed, getting snubbed.

I feel sorry for those really toned guys that are bast*rds that get pushed aside for the chubby nice guys with the great sense of humour. I feel for them, I really do. Women are just amazing, while men are just pigs.

I guess what we were taught as kids is soooo true:

What are little boys made of?
    Snips and snails
    And puppy-dog tails,
    That's what little boys are made of.

What are little girls made of?
    Sugar and spice and all things nice,
    That's what little girls are made of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Proto

Well, it's not all men :/ I became real self concious about my weight over a year ago. To the point of near eating disorder tbh. Joined a gym and did the work and came out better.

I think it's a new generation really. The "perfect" male body that people work for.

Or maybe I'm just a wuss :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm 5 foot 9 and 78 kg with low bodyfat and quite regularly get negative comments from women about my weight, apparently I'm scrawny and a whippet etc. Have also regularly heard fat women sneering at average weight women for being "stick insects" etc. There is definitely a skewed perception out there as to what is thin, average and fat.

If you don't engage in the heavy drinking an other unhealthy behaviour that goes hand in hand with having a pot belly, you're almost seen as a deviant in this country. And in my experience Irish women prefer men with a "bulky" look which usually means he's 17+ stone builder with a beer belly, who talks a load of bullsh1t in the pub and thinks because of his size that he's a "hard man" in a fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭gavney

Maybe if Ireland suddenly experienced an influx of slim and trim South American men they would step up their game and hit the gym - the same way Irish women are apparently expected to with the influx of slimmer Eastern European women? :rolleyes: .

The main thing that turns me off going to the gym is being intimidated by big buff guys. Seeing even more big buff guys would probably just turn me off the gym even more.

It's too easy to be good looking and pull hot girls. Much more interesting to see if you can be a fat, balding tosser and see if you can win them over with your loveable Irish charm (i.e. by insulting them)

wudangclan wrote: »
    Ah,so that's were the name WeeBushy came from.

It's actually the name of a monkey... but incidently my arse is hairy :o

• Advertisement

It's actually the name of a monkey... but incidently my arse is hairy :o

It'll give the monkey something to play with.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I'm 5 foot 9 and 78 kg with low bodyfat and quite regularly get negative comments from women about my weight, apparently I'm scrawny and a whippet etc. Have also regularly heard fat women sneering at average weight women for being "stick insects" etc. There is definitely a skewed perception out there as to what is thin, average and fat.

If you don't engage in the heavy drinking an other unhealthy behaviour that goes hand in hand with having a pot belly, you're almost seen as a deviant in this country. And in my experience Irish women prefer men with a "bulky" look which usually means he's 17+ stone builder with a beer belly, who talks a load of bullsh1t in the pub and thinks because of his size that he's a "hard man" in a fight.

I agree. Most girls seem to say they prefer the "swimmers body" more than any other. But, out of the guys that DON'T exercise much they tend to go for the bulky 17 stone guy (even if it's mostly fat) than the 11 stone guy

wudangclan wrote: »
    It'll give the monkey something to play with.

Gave, he's dead now :( He did like to groom your arm pit hair though. Quite a weird feeling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

gavney wrote: »
    I agree. Most girls seem to say they prefer the "swimmers body" more than any other. But, out of the guys that DON'T exercise much they tend to go for the bulky 17 stone guy (even if it's mostly fat) than the 11 stone guy

I don't know where you're getting this from, that they go for fat guys. I have a friend who doesn't eat and is a total rake and gets more chicks than any of my friends or I ever have.
    A lot of girls seem to like painfully thin guys too.

Gave, he's dead now :( He did like to groom your arm pit hair though. Quite a weird feeling.

My condolences.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    You'll see women each and every day approaching guys telling them that they can see that they have a lovely personality and would love to date them, as tall dark handsome fit guys just walk passed all depressed, getting snubbed.

I feel sorry for those really toned guys that are bast*rds that get pushed aside for the chubby nice guys with the great sense of humour. I feel for them, I really do. Women are just amazing, while men are just pigs.

[/CENTER]

I can't tell if you're taking the piss or not? so I'll just assume you're not.

I'll give you a male perspective on this. I'm not one of those really toned guys. But I have a few friends who are, and I have often seen them getting unfairly treated by girls, who assume they're bastards.

One of my best friends is a real pretty boy. Not buff, doesn't go to gym, but he's very very good looking (like, he looks very like ashton kutcher). And one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

BUT he's very quiet, not shy but just really reserved. And most girls seem to mistake this for arrogance because he's good looking.

If he were average looking, they'd probably just think he's shy, but because he's good looking, they assume he's stuck up.

End result - I actually have better luck (though not a huge amount) with women than my friend, even though he's really good looking and I'm about average. And I think he's a nicer guy than me!

Now, I'm sure the same often works vice versa with some good looking girls, i don't know, i don't have same perspective.

BrianD3 wrote: »

I totally agree with this - everything is relative. I'm an American living in Europe and I feel like a giant here, but when I go home people are like, "oh you're so skinny". NOBODY outside of the American Midwest would EVER call me skinny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Now, I'm sure the same often works vice versa with some good looking girls, i don't know, i don't have same perspective.

Funnily enough, I use to work with a stunning-looking girl years ago. Some of the guys thought she was 'aloof' (basically they were interested and kinda blokey sorts) but I got on well with her and quickly realized she was just very quiet and shy. I think if she was average-looking, they wouldn't have jumped to the conclusion so quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

I've seemed to notice a trend of younger people going to the gym here or at least exercising. The local park in my estate is full of joggers and people exercising. And my gym is full of younger people and people who have let themselves go to far. I was away for a year and i don't remember it being like that before i left.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I don't know where you're getting this from, that they go for fat guys. I have a friend who doesn't eat and is a total rake and gets more chicks than any of my friends or I ever have.
    A lot of girls seem to like painfully thin guys too.

Ok, I should make a distinction when I say "fat". The guys I'm talking about are the guys who go to the gym maybe once a week, have the remnants of big muscles but beer bellies, and who are naturally broad and manly, but with fat having replace muscle (within reason of course).

Skinny guys used to be more popular when I was in my early twenties, they don't seem to be so popular when you get older

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I can't tell if you're taking the piss or not? so I'll just assume you're not.

The whole of my post was an attempt at sarcasm. I believe the opposite of what I wrote.

To clarify.

I believe women, in general, will go for well toned tall men who treat them like crap. Nice chubby Brian (sorry Brian) doesn't get a look in no matter what claptrap women will come out with.

Out of all my mates it is 'the players' that get the hot chicks. I also have mates who are sound and girls will chat to them all night about men are bast*rds, but then ultimately you'll see those same girls getting into a taxi with a very fit creep.

One of my gf's mates once said - "a nice guy is not gonna f*ck you the way a bast*rd would".

Women are always honest when p*ssed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Generally you won't see guys wearing revealing clothes thinking they are gorgeous so it is less repulsive. I worked with a woman who was easily a size 18 go on about how she liked to show off her curves.

Back boob is not an attractive curve to see. :eek:

The article is sh*te as it suggest woman run to the gym once they think they have put on weight. Unless they are eating cakes there it doesn't show in reality.

Kipperhell wrote: »
    Generally you won't see guys wearing revealing clothes thinking they are gorgeous so it is less repulsive. I worked with a woman who was easily a size 18 go on about how she liked to show off her curves.

Back boob is not an attractive curve to see. :eek:

The article is sh*te as it suggest woman run to the gym once they think they have put on weight. Unless they are eating cakes there it doesn't show in reality.

Big women aren't the only ones who like to show off their curves... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MAB83

There's an awful lot of overweight, beer bellied, lazy Irish men out there. And funnily enough they're the ones who think they deserve to end up with a model :rolleyes:

I look after myself and work out. And I think the beer bellied lads who think girls see past the big belly are fooling themselves. You'd want to be seriously funny/nice (and probably rich in a lot of cases) to get a really hot girl. I think there's a lot more unhealthy overweight guys in this country than there are girls, it's just more noticeable on women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

I've seemed to notice a trend of younger people going to the gym here or at least exercising. The local park in my estate is full of joggers and people exercising. And my gym is full of younger people and people who have let themselves go to far. I was away for a year and i don't remember it being like that before i left.

Ah it's been like that for quite a few years now. My gym is full of 16/17-year-old lads but I think for the most part it's to do with how competitive underage sports have gotten, particularly rugby.

IMO college is the make or break time, people will either decide that they're going to keep themselves fit or let the drinking and bad diet take over!

piby wrote: »
    Ah it's been like that for quite a few years now. My gym is full of 16/17-year-old lads but I think for the most part it's to do with how competitive underage sports have gotten, particularly rugby.

IMO college is the make or break time, people will either decide that they're going to keep themselves fit or let the drinking and bad diet take over!

Same in my gym, all young fellas. Which is hopeful for the future, less unhealthy beer guts hanging out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

MAB83 wrote: »
    Same in my gym, all young fellas. Which is hopeful for the future, less unhealthy beer guts hanging out.

Give them a chance to hit their late 20's and 30's

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Give them a chance to hit their late 20's and 30's

Not if they keep the gym up and continue to look after themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

piby wrote: »

I had noticed it before. The skinny 16/17 year olds lashing out 100 reps of 5kg curls. But they used to come and go. I'm back a couple of months now and it seems that the younger generation (in my gym anyways) are more informed or are asking for help on how to train properly. Could be to do with the competitiveness of sport or how having a good physique is portrayed in popular culture. The recession might have helped a bit too since people can't afford to drink as much now. A gym membership is pretty cheap in a lot of places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

All of them to continue doing it? I would be surprised if 50% did.

Advertisement