Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Val Falvey TD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Third episode was poor also. Mild improvement on the other two atrocious episodes. I mean the old "husband forgets the anniversary".... could they have picked anything more cliché. And it wasnt particularly funny either. There is no chemistry between Ardal and Amelia Crowley, mostly due to the fact that Ardal is not a proper actor. The scene with the parrot saying his name was just poor and unfunny, bordering on the surreal at times.

Owen Roe is a solid actor and is giving good performances. Phelim Drew's character was just creepy. I've never really liked him as an actor, and his inclusion in the cast certainly wouldnt me encourage it to watch the program.

The main problem is the poor scripts. The stories are poor and the dialogue is just not funny. Not even "appeal to the lowest common denominator" funny like Killinaskully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Phelim Drew's man in rassi na Gailmhe was also scary ,which also starred owen roe
    . what would hapen if frank kelly was brought in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

mike65 wrote: »
    The first series of Blackadder didn't really work.

either did the rest mate :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's not very good, I think that's totally down to the way it's produced it has elements of greatness in it. It's based on Irish life that's not supposed to be funny but is.

I think it has allot of potential but I just don't think RTE can carry it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I only watched one episode there last week, thought it was funny actually :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

baalthor wrote: »
    I always got the impression it was written with a UK audience in mind

I think Irish people are great at having a laugh and slagging each other, especially over a pint or ten. They then expect this hilarity to transfer to TV and movies and are disappointed when it doesn't.

But as someone mentioned, comedy requires a lot of writing and acting talent and there's only so much talent in a country of 4-6 million people.

We also seem to be disproportionately represented internationally when it comes to fiction writing and music so maybe it's expecting a bit much to be good at everything.

When it comes to comedy we compare ourselves to the US and Britain but how does our comedy compare to smaller countries like Denmark or New Zealand for example ?

Disagree there is plenty of room for Irish comedies but in comedy you have to take risks and if you do it won't air on Irish television it seems.
    The premise has so much potential, especially when O'Hanlon and Matthews are involved.

But jaysus that was piss poor. A couple of chuckles were about as far as it got, most of it reminded me of the latter series of Killinaskully, cringing and quite boring. I'll be giving it another go next week, not too confident though.

RTE is crying out for a comedy along the lines of 'Peep Show'...

Agree
    eh, just because he didnt completely denounce it? The IT crowd's first few episodes were cac, as were blackadder's. Theres potential there, and theres nothing wrong with giving it a good shot before condemning it.

Eh your crazy, it was just aimed at the IT crowd for the first series. It was hilarious but probably not if you didn't work in IT :(

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

JP Liz wrote: »
    will it be a hit or miss?

A load of ****e.Ardal should have gone on the panel.Better show,better jokes,better comedians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well I think we all agree the main problem is RTE can't take risks but since they are so crap at it, why aren't TV3 jumping into the gap in the market or TG4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think we're all agreed that there is certainly potential for a comedy series based on a TD, it is more the execution that is sooo poor. They
    should be bringing the whole stereotyped politician up do date. They should make it more contemporary with issues like kite flying, being forced to vote with the whip, use of use forms of media in politics, deals with independents, politicians writing for newspapers/ selling books, expenses, Europe, electoral campaigns.....

There is so much more scope for satire than the Killinaskully stereotype TD, who takes backhanders and attends every funeral in the locality. What does Val Falvey give us..... Val has forgotten his wedding anniversary and the wife is mad.... come on ffs... I think that script has been done in EVERY sitcom. Are they that devoid of original ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 retroireland

cool!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 retroireland

They gave away series one of killinaskully with the Daily Mail yesterday.
    No additional sarcastic joke required on that one i think.
    haha

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Seriously, though, take a second look at it, really.

Alright, I will get the boxset. I have never seen it from start to end, so that might be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

total and utter sh*te, painful to watch yet sometimes can't change channel. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The public vs. private broadcasting debate has been split off into a separate thread.
    Keep this thread for discussing how bad this show is, thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

There is no chemistry between Ardal and Amelia Crowley, mostly due to the fact that Ardal is not a proper actor.

I find her speech problem very distracting. Her voice is quite brittle anyway, and the lisped S and T sounds make it quite hard to listen to at times. Add in the fact that the character is one atom deep (shrewish wife template no. 44), and its hard to see any performance endowing the relationship with chemistry.

As for the the script and story? "I'd completely forgotten about our anniversary." Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Lemondrop kid

Mr E wrote: »
    The public vs. private broadcasting debate has been split off into a separate thread.
    Keep this thread for discussing how bad this show is, thanks. :)

Em, surely you mean discussing the merits or otherwise of...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭KC JONES

I think it is rubbish. But while reseacrhing it i wondered what would father Ted be like without the canned laughter. Also Dear John

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

KC JONES wrote: »
    I think it is rubbish. But while reseacrhing it i wondered what would father Ted be like without the canned laughter. Also Dear John

What about Dear John?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I did LOL at

Val - "I was just being honest!"

Chief whip - "And you think thats what the people of this country want?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭KC JONES

Elmo wrote: »
    What about Dear John?
    It also had canned laughter. I wondered how it would sound without it

• Advertisement

omahaid wrote: »
    I did LOL at

Val - "I was just being honest!"

Chief whip - "And you think thats what the people of this country want?"

Two lines, that one and the denoument of a long and dodgy storyline about gays.
    This has moved from unfunny to insulting bad. Utter Rubbish. Good Riddance to it, have tried long enough to take to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chiefbrodie

How on earth have RTE come up with this worthless drivel?

Surely our national tv station, with their legions of well paid exceutives & their pick of production companies, could come up with something remotely resembling a satirical comedy. Have they never seen 'Yes Minister' ?

This programme is rubbish on all levels, a script that's totally devoid of imagination, a list of stereotypical gombeen stage-irish characters, shockingly poor production etc... I could go on and on.

I shudder to think how much this crap cost to make, what a waste of budget. Please tell me there's no second series planned

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

I Think that Val Valvey is a good show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Please confine your comments to Val Falvey TD or I will start banning people.

Off topic drivel has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

its watchable, its genius for rte though

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sugglew

To have any comedic worth this needs to be either sharp and satiric or a complete screwball like father ted. It's neither, FAIL.

I've finally figured it out (yes, obsessed i know, but still waitn for the one)
    What they did was list a number of possible topics
    Pollution
    Hare Coursing/Animal rights
    Gay Rights
    Feminism
    etc -anything that might be controversial and then - and this is the genius
    WROTE EMOTIONLESS EMPTY DRIVEL AROUND THOSE IDEAS.
    in a cynical and obvious way. No actual character, no central impetus, no nuthin.
    Phew.
    That's that sorted so.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sugglew

I've finally figured it out (yes, obsessed i know, but still waitn for the one)
    What they did was list a number of possible topics
    Pollution
    Hare Coursing/Animal rights
    Gay Rights
    Feminism
    etc -anything that might be controversial and then - and this is the genius
    WROTE EMOTIONLESS EMPTY DRIVEL AROUND THOSE IDEAS.
    in a cynical and obvious way. No actual character, no central impetus, no nuthin.
    Phew.
    That's that sorted so.:D

Yeah.
    Clap yourself on the back for me.

Sugglew wrote: »
    Yeah.
    Clap yourself on the back for me.

A hearty clap or a hefty slap?
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Jordonvito wrote: »
    its watchable, its genius for rte though
    That's like saying syphilis is the best STD.

Advertisement