Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Val Falvey TD

Options
  • 20-11-2009 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Ardal O’Hanlon stars as recently elected TD Val Falvey in this brand new six-part series written by Arthur Mathews (Father Ted) and Paul Woodfull (Stew). Through bumbling, the lack of sufficient political cunning, and sheer bad luck, Val stumbles from one crisis to another with his unwanted knack for constantly getting into trouble landing him in deep water with the party whip, his constituents and his family alike. The life of a rural TD is rarely glamorous and puts severe pressure on Val’s fragile ego. A tough job - but somebody’s got to do it.

will it be a hit or miss?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I saw the advertisement and it looks promising. When does it start?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kwyjibot

It's on at 7:30 this Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Isn't 7.30 RTE's usual reject time? Somewhat akin to "Killinaskully".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Prophet

I'll reserve full judgement until I catch some of it first hand, but it sounds like it has some potential, if only for the pedigree of Matthews (and to a lesser degree, O'Hanlon) attached.

Which production company made it? A properly-run outfit with intelligent funny well-written copy and strong script editing goes a long ways methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I actually like Killinaskully but I get what you are saying about the half seven time slot. There isn't much I'd watch on RTE at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

cant understand why they are doing this. Has the whole TD thing not been covered by Pat Shortt's character in Killinaskully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Val Falvey TD is brought to us by Grand Pictures, the same people who gave us Paths to Freedom, Fergus's Wedding and the movie Wide Open Spaces, which was also scrpited by Mathews. WE shall reserve judgement until we see it. It may not be too bad, clearly it'll be better than Killinaskully, without even seeing it one can assume as much. Personaly I liked Paths to Freedom so I hope this will be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Interesting that Ardal's father is Rory O'Hanlon, veteran FF TD and former minister and Ceann Comhairle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It would make sense to put it at that time if they're gonna show it on a Sunday, otherwise it'd be up against The X-Factor result show and I don't really see any other day RTÉ could put it on where it would have the potential to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭el diablo

I like the theme tune on the ads for Val Falvey. My new ring-tone, methinks. ;)

Looks like it'll be a fairly true reflection of our local TDs.... incompetent gombeens the lot of them. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭An tSaoi

Very disappointed so far. That woman from Nightlive is in it, and she's not much better in this. No good lines so far. It feels more like Killinaskully than The Thick Of It (which is a bad thing). Still, early days. Let's give it a chance for Mathews' sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Well this is a load of shite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I like it so far.

I could see how the how Pearce bit ("Wasn't he photographed from the side 'cause he was crosseyed?") and how the Nazis made a good job of marketing might have seemed alright in the writer's room, but I don't think it's really translating to the screen very well.

Maybe it would have worked better as a three-wall, audience sitcom?

It would be a great comedy... if only it had a few bellylaughs in it.

Quite a poor first half episode so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

This is a real let down.

There was one line that I quite liked so far: "It's always something small that gets you in the end. Nixon; a tape. Kennedy; a bullet." Apart from that, underwhelming.

The whole swimming caps and flippers bartering point was lame. Edit: And what do you know, he fell off his bike. Hilarity in motion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

This is ****e alright. Phew, it's over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Yeah, not sure about this at all. I'll give it another look next week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭thecornerboy

What an utterly pointless, toothless and unamusing show. The RTE comedy curse strikes again. Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Pretty underwhelming, but will give it one more chance next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Proxy wrote: »
    Yeah, not sure about this at all. I'll give it another look next week...
    Ya same. At least I won't be expecting much then.

Yeah, I suppose it's only fair we give it another chance, However, they'd really want to up the anté if they want to keep me tuning in.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭twincamman

not funny at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I enjoyed it. It wasn't mind blowing but it was enjoyable.

There should be 4 series of it 'to give it a chance'. I jest, of course.

Pretty underwhelming stuff. There were one or two underplayed lines that were decent, but by-and-large it was poor sitcom entertainment.

Arthur Mathews has spilt comedy pie all over his shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Pretty weak.

Very little in the way of laughs and a very poor story overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The first series of Blackadder didn't really work.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

Stilted, forced and generally lacking in properly funny moments. It's a real shame, as so much could be done with the character of the architypal rural TD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Is Killinaskully on tonight?

Advertisement