Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish army could be deployed on the streets to combat rioting.

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lux23 wrote: »
    Seriously though trained killers should not be deployed to the streets of Ireland to deal with civilans, has Bloody Sunday not taught anyone anything about the folly of that.
    Trained killers? Jesus, hype much? :rolleyes: Bloody Sunday was a whole heap of circumstances coming to bear.

In any event the Irish won't riot. I reckon anyway. We talk about revolution and the rebel Irish, but when push comes to shove we'll sit in the pub or at home necking beer and moaning.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

So let me get this right.
    Many public sector workers are striking. This other crowd of public sector workers, the army, are doing a rare days work ??

***runs for the hills lest an army sniper takes him out***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Many public sector workers are striking. This other crowd of public sector workers, the army, are doing a rare days work ??

Your VERY good in the Personal Issue's forum - play to your strenghts my friend.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Quit trolling. Let's try and have some civilised discussion on here. You are well aware that there are members of the defence forces and the public service posting here so please modify your attitude to reflect that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Quit trolling. Let's try and have some civilised discussion on here. You are well aware that there are members of the defence forces and the public service posting here so please modify your attitude to reflect that.

Thank you.

Sensitivities are running high between the public and private sector, and people shouldn't fall into this phoney war our glorious government have started - and damned shame on them for it too.

When we're out of this mess I hope neighbour, brother, friends etc can look each other in the eye with a firm handshake again, but I doubt it.

I think one of this God for saken governments lasting legacies will be the victims of their policy of 'divide & conquer'. Those bastards will walk away from this mess they've created and leave a divided populace in their wake.

/rant over - & I'm running for the hills :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

When we're out of this mess I hope neighbour, brother, friends etc can look each other in the eye with a firm handshake again, but I doubt it.
    Just a tad overdramatic there Makkikomi! Reminds Pighead of the time he screamed "Damn you cruel Lord, why must you always mock Pighead so" when he went through a whole pack of Starburst without getting a blackcurrant flavoured one.

Ok, the Private Sector are at war with the government but you do realise that it's not an actual proper war? Pretty sure brothers and sisters will be able to look each other in the eye after this is all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

How the heck would the army stop gangland murders?

supply them with the necessary measures to prevent gangland violence (ie. permission to neutralise/detain a potential gangland member - ie assuming they have sufficient proof that he/she is a member of a gang - and I do include association of known gang members with that)

Fair enough - I'm not used to seriousness in after hours. It was just an attempt at humour - my apologies I forgot the smiley face for those that are humourously challenged. It just so happens I posted a serious answer on the guys rant that you closed so i'll post it here instead:

First I should say I don't agree with this strike. For two reasons: a) I think its bad form giving the flooding and b) I don't agree with a pre-emptive strike like this. BUT I do agree with their reasons for protesting.

So this isn't all about money. The teachers (and I'm not a teacher) are striking for a multitude of reasons for example - the loss of teachers assistant's and special needs teachers for one. 120 teachers lost there jobs on that one. So much for public sector job security. (Incidentally lots of public sector jobs have gone in health services under the guise of a hiring freeze - short term contracts don't get renewed. Patients suffer through lack of services). Teachers are striking yes in part about wages, but also in part because the conditions in whici they are expected to do their job have been eroded. They are also doing it so that they can provide better teaching to your little johhnie - yes in part they are doing this for your kids. And nurses are doing it in part for their patients.

Opinion Guy is old enough to remember the time when public sector jobs were held in disdain. He also knows that many of the people who bitch about public sector jobs made the choice not to be teachers, not to be nurses, not to be gardai. He remembers those made choices in order to go for lucrative private sector jobs for better pay, better promotion prospects. He remembers that job security was scoffed at as a reason for taking supposed dead end jobs. Opinion Guy remembers this because he was one of those people. He also remembers that the small print included things like recession ****ing the jobs market. Opinion Guy has since worked in the public sector and bounced between the two over the years and Opinion Guy would have to say the working conditions in the public sector simply would not be believed nor tolerated by those in the private sector.

Frankly I think people should stop falling for this Fianna Fail public vs private propaganda and realise that the f**kers sold us all out together and are continuing to do so. I also think people should get off their high horses about those in jobs that quite frankly - they wouldn't do themselves regardless of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I can't believe we let the gangland murders pile up and then call the army in for some riots. Priorities?

Pathetic.

What's your solution? Get the army to stand on every street and corner of areas associated with the drug trade? Get the army to investigate the murders and drug trade? They can't do anything other than assist the Gardai with raids and arrests, we already have the ERU for that.

If a riot was to break out again within the near future I'd be very happy to see the army charge the scumbags back. We all remember the 05 riots, scumbags heard the chance to throw some bricks at the Gardai and were there on the spot, Gardai didn't have enough balls to do anything about till the riot squad showed up which took what? 90 minutes+

I remember seeing the photo on the front of the herald, where it took 7 Gardai to take down one 14 year old scumbag. 1 person giving him a baton across the head could have done the same.

RMD wrote: »
    I remember seeing the photo on the front of the herald, where it took 7 Gardai to take down one 14 year old scumbag. 1 person giving him a baton across the head could have done the same.

But the resulting medical bills and inevitable law suit would have cost the country more than employing the seven gardai in the first place

• Advertisement
Advertisement