Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish army could be deployed on the streets to combat rioting.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would really hope the army would see sense and join with the people and overthrow this government

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

If we do over throw our Government, I baggsie position of Ceann Comhairle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It would be one way to deter them from selling drugs to the public, so yes, I would!

I think you need to take your head out of the sand, the reason there is so much drugs about is not because of poor policing or law inforcement, it's because of an absolutely endless stream of willing customers. That is not ever going to change, army or no army! Laws come and go and constantly change over time, human nature - not so much. Some people will always be willing to buy and some people will always be willing to sell, the law and inforcement there of, by police, army, vigilanties or whatever scarcely enters into it. And on another point, one gangster shooting another gangster is hardly all that important in the scheme of things, most people (not all of course) who get shot in this country, kind of had it coming to them, why waste millions of tax payers money pursuing it or trying to prevent it, there are far more pressing problems to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

hobochris wrote: »
    Bringing in the army to deal with gang land violence would be a very silly and over the top move, In fact it would contradict our legal system.

The army are trained to fight in wars, provide security and piece keeping, step in to keep basic services running in the event of an emergency and protect the sovereignty of the Irish state.

They are not trained to deal with civilian crime such as drugs and gang land violence, if they were brought in for such an issue it would be more likely that they would end up in a fire fight with the gangs or in the course of arresting the gang members they would impeach on there civil liberties which in turn would have the case struck out in court as a military arrest is different to a civil arrest performed by the Garda.

The only gangsters relevant to this thread are the ones running(?) the country.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

funk-you wrote: »
    You got your tin-foil had and throwing rock ready RTDH?

-Funk

Government issue!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

I would really hope the army would see sense and join with the people and overthrow this government

Yeah that worked out wonderful the last time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I have a feeling this would have gone unreported had it happened at another time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Riot Gear?

Sure don't they have guns :p

I do think in certain bad areas if there's trouble the Gardai should have the army as back up. Scumbags faced with a few tanks and soldiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 john_d_baptist

there could never be any prolonged rioting of any real significance... we dont have desperate people in sufficient numbers like there was in the North during the troubles... and by desperate, I mean people who have been victims of police brutality, who have been shot at randomly by the army and murdered, who have lost friends and family by violent means, who have been discriminated against and who have been kept in the lower tier of society.

Fianna Fail wont hold contempteous parades, they wont send in the police to haul innocent people out of bed in the middle of the night and intern them, they wont issue the army with a shoot to kill policy...

at very most, what will happen here is what we saw on O'Connell street during the 'love Ulster' parade... it will be short lived, and will be at the hands of a drunken mob wearing Celtic tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Biggins wrote: »
    True.
    Just out of curiosity, what happens to the older riot gear? Anyone know?
    Can I buy it?
    They give it to the gangs so that instead of shooting each other, they just give savage beatings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

there could never be any prolonged rioting of any real significance... we dont have desperate people in sufficient numbers like there was in the North during the troubles... and by desperate, I mean people who have been victims of police brutality, who have been shot at randomly by the army and murdered, who have lost friends and family by violent means, who have been discriminated against and who have been kept in the lower tier of society.

Fianna Fail wont hold contempteous parades, they wont send in the police to haul innocent people out of bed in the middle of the night and intern them, they wont issue the army with a shoot to kill policy...

at very most, what will happen here is what we saw on O'Connell street during the 'love Ulster' parade... it will be short lived, and will be at the hands of a drunken mob wearing Celtic tops.

I'd say that the ones who didn't vote for FF represent a significant number of desperate people. The government will be forced to take desperate measures if things get out of hand.

If Ireland had been some South American republic, it would have already happened. We're all suckers in this part of the world though.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Biggins wrote: »
    True.
    Just out of curiosity, what happens to the older riot gear? Anyone know?
    Can I buy it?

Christmas shop this year is gonna be eeeeasy!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

If the Army could prevent even one less gangland murder...just to reduce the number of dead bodies turning up, ...it would be beneficial to all of Dublin.

Ah, not everyone lives in Dublin. In fact, most people don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Palmerstown_guy

It is our capital, no? And it has the most gangland murders, so it makes sense to use the army in Dublin if gardai are not doing their job.

I totally agree, there is a huge demand for drugs that's why there is an ugly gangland warfare going on but the question how do we tackle this? If we made it difficult and uncomfortable for them to sell and provide joe public with drugs such as cocaine it would be better for all of us and at least a deterrent for this stain on our city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

How many murders were there in Ireland last year? About 50? I'm not sure of that number, I heard it on the radio. It might be a bit higher. I'm sure somebody here will have the proper stats. How many of those murders were unsolved?

Not really time to be deploying the army just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Yeah I mean 50 is not exactly a martial law figure, and they are not just shooting anybody they are shooting other drug dealers so I couldnt give a toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

irlmarc wrote: »
    Christmas shop this year is gonna be eeeeasy!

That's because everyone's goingto be broke.
    dillon1 wrote: »
    Ah, not everyone lives in Dublin. In fact, most people don't

Well, we'll send a few down to wherver you are and you can use them to deal with whatever crime problems you have down there. Deal?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

It is our capital, no? And it has the most gangland murders, so it makes sense to use the army in Dublin if gardai are not doing their job.

I totally agree, there is a huge demand for drugs that's why there is an ugly gangland warfare going on but the question how do we tackle this? If we made it difficult and uncomfortable for them to sell and provide joe public with drugs such as cocaine it would be better for all of us and at least a deterrent for this stain on our city.

This is not the Dublin Forum, this is After Hours we cater for the entire country here, even Cork.

This is the Dublin Forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭BennyLava

A better solution would be to give the riot gear to the unemployed (sort of community service for the dole if you will), so when the guards riot after their December pay cuts the unemployed could be used to contain them

Wouldn't that look interesting on the news

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Athlone has one of the biggest barricks outside Dublin.

Everyone in athlone has a member of their family or at least a few friends in the army.

Do we need them to stop riots? Dont know if id set them on rioters with a clear conscience.. i know a fair few of the lads in the barricks in athlone... complete head cases.. itching for combat.. on chap i know was in the rangers - just qualified.. he was kicked out of the rangers for knocking out his CO apparently. lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Public Order training by it's very nature gets a bit out of hand, since it's obviously made to be as realistic as possible. As a result of that, some of the PO gear gets broken, smashed, ends up U/S etc. and of course as time passes, better gear comes out on the market.

The new PO gear that is going to be purchased is a direct result of that.

Nothing to do with the DF being used to crack skulls in the middle of O Connell Street, nothing to do with martial law being imposed or any other mad thoughts people end up with.

It's just old gear being replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

No it doesn't make sense to declare martial law and the gardai are doing their jobs, do you expect them to be clairvoyant now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

If the Army could prevent even one less gangland murder...just to reduce the number of dead bodies turning up, ...it would be beneficial to all of Dublin.

no way jose the more of that kind of carry on the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Well, we'll send a few down to wherver you are and you can use them to deal with whatever crime problems you have down there. Deal?

I'm actually in Dublin, I'm just aware that the world doesn't stop when you reach the Liffey.

So do many people really have a problem with drug dealers killing other drug dealers??
    As for using the army to tackle drug dealers, forget it. It's not their job, it's not what they're trained for and anway if you want to eliminate drugs you need to remove the consumer from the equation, not the supplier, and since there is always a market for drugs there will always be drug dealers. The best the gardaí can do is keep the drug dealers away from the rest of us and let them fight amongst themselves.

The Army are replacing some old kit!

Big deal!!

that is all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

i dont see why they dont put military police on the street......
    and of course they should be used in riots....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Mousey- wrote: »
    i dont see why they dont put military police on the street......

The majority of MP's are arseholes of the highest order. I can hardly stand seeing them let loose in a barracks, let alone giving them any kind of power over the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A dead drug dealer is a lot more benificial to the country than a live one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I don't see how the hell drug dealers and gangland murders got into a thread about the general army. The army have nothing to do whatsoever with gangland murders e.t.c. Do you expect the gardaí to just ring up the army and ask them
    "Here send us up a few tanks and a few of your men theres a few lads in Finglas dealing drugs"

The rangers may (I am not 100% sure) deal with counter-terrorism/counter drug smuggling of a large scale.

In any case, theres nothing odd about this at all, How is the army replacing their riot gear going to affect anyone? Its not as if come budget day every single person is going to take it to the streets and start rioting (Why the hell would anyone riot to express their anger over a budget???). If the army was replacing its AUGs with AK-47s and RPG-7s would you say they're plotting to terrorise the people or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Its no big deal just replacing old kit and some hack picked up on the story.

A lot of the batons were defective,
    when you set them to WHOMP they got stuck on TWIRL

/gratuitous Simpsons reference

Advertisement