Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

ED E wrote: »
    Not really anything special, plenty of larger business have access like that.

True and also universities.

But it just look so good actually seeing speed test results from it.

Oh. My. God!

That's an amazing connection!

Is it Sky or Vodafone? Or do BT actual provide business connection themselves?
    It's a Host Ireland microwave link; they lease their capacity from BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

3587594685.png

My Speeds today. Meant to have a 17meg connection just outside Cavan with Vodafone. Annoyed to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

3587594685.png

My Speeds today. Meant to have a 17meg connection just outside Cavan with Vodafone. Annoyed to say the least.

Similar to what I was getting with Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Karsini wrote: »
    It's a Host Ireland microwave link; they lease their capacity from BT.
    do they do a USB dongle? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So i'm now officially in the record books - first in my area to get eFibre (went live on 25/06). And, i'm impressed so far. Sales agent said "Up To 50mbps", technician said the line is only currently capable of 30mbps, and that they're not telling anyone that it's fibre to the cabinet, not the house. Lovely gents who were in and out quick, and i'm up and running:

3591232216.png

Let's see how i get on when the congestion kicks in once others have connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So i'm now officially in the record books - first in my area to get eFibre (went live on 25/06). And, i'm impressed so far. Sales agent said "Up To 50mbps", technician said the line is only currently capable of 30mbps, and that they're not telling anyone that it's fibre to the cabinet, not the house. Lovely gents who were in and out quick, and i'm up and running:

3591232216.png

Let's see how i get on when the congestion kicks in once others have connected.

VDSL cabs are overfed for later upgrades and to allow stable IPTV. You wont see any congestion on NGA lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Impressive stuff in Dublin from Three lately.

Savman wrote: »
    Impressive stuff in Dublin from Three lately.

Be careful. I got turned on for posting a 4g speed test in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

3604275585.png

Vodafone DSL ''upto 24Mb'' still waiting for fibre in the area supposed to go live next month :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

3604297004.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16 X3Y2B7

Vodafone "100mb fibre"

DL = 1.16Mbps/148KBps

UL = 0.09Mbps/11.5KBps

Ping = 265ms

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

3609013916.png

17Mb down/1Mbps up ADSL2+ line from Vodafone. €39 a month.

It would be higher if I put the modem by the main telephone socket (this speed test was taken when it was connected to an extension socket), but I couldn't be bothered. Speed test taken using ethernet cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭Vodafone: Darren

X3Y2B7 wrote: »
    Vodafone "100mb fibre"

DL = 1.16Mbps/148KBps

UL = 0.09Mbps/11.5KBps

Ping = 265ms

Hi there,
    If you private message (via the link in my signature) over the below info, I can ask the technical team to look into this for you?

Landline number/CRN:
    Contact number:
    Address:
    Date of birth:
    Link to your thread or post:

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Hi Guys, we ordered Sky broadband yesterday for the first time, we are renting and did not have broadband previously, they have said that the fastest speed our line will hold is 4mb, is this a decent speed, will be hoping to stream netflix and for online gaming mostly.

thanks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Hi Guys, we ordered Sky broadband yesterday for the first time, we are renting and did not have broadband previously, they have said that the fastest speed our line will hold is 4mb, is this a decent speed, will be hoping to stream netflix and for online gaming mostly.

thanks all

The chances of you actually getting 4mb is a stretch i'd say. I doubt you'll be able to get HD Netflix with buffering and such.

As far as online gaming goes, espically FPS games, it's more to do with your Latency than speeds.

Something you won't know anything on for both questions until the BB is installed. Any of your neighbours have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

hallo dare wrote: »
    The chances of you actually getting 4mb is a stretch i'd say. I doubt you'll be able to get HD Netflix with buffering and such.

As far as online gaming goes, espically FPS games, it's more to do with your Latency than speeds.

Something you won't know anything on for both questions until the BB is installed. Any of your neighbours have it?

Yeah a couple 2 doors down have sky broadband also, not sure what their top speed is, would it be the same if in the same area? (sorry for the clueless questions). I know they stream netflix and ahvent heard them giving out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Yeah a couple 2 doors down have sky broadband also, not sure what their top speed is, would it be the same if in the same area? (sorry for the clueless questions)

You're grand, but if you are going to be asking more questions then you are best off starting a new thread as this thread is really for showing results and such.

They may or maynot be on the same exchange as you, if they are, then the chances of you having the same quality as them is possible. Speeds may be worst in the evenings and weekends with contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Just got Eircom Fibre installed today.

About 150 metres (straight line) from cab.

Crosshaven, Co.Cork

3618650558.png

• Advertisement

Just got Eircom Fibre installed today.

About 150 metres (straight line) from cab.

Crosshaven, Co.Cork

3618650558.png
    Is that on WiFi or Ethernet?

If it's Ethernet you're either connected to a different cabinet than you think or there's a problem on the line.

Is Vectoring enabled on your cabinet do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Is that on WiFi or Ethernet?

If it's Ethernet you're either connected to a different cabinet than you think or there's a problem on the line.

Is Vectoring enabled on your cabinet do you know?

Thanks Alan. I don't know if vectoring is enabled.

Eircom told me my max speed would be 43mb.

Should I be getting better speed than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Eircom E fibre,quite close to the exchange...up to 85MB/s download speeds?:confused:

3620323411.png WIFI

3620394351.png Ethernet

The ethernet appears to be a tad slower than the WIFI?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Efibre. 200m from cabinet. Eircom tell me 50mbps is the best I can get.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3620431333

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

3624778441.png

Meh

mxph3 wrote: »
    3624778441.png

Meh

Good ping though:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Before: 3627953788.png

After: 3628071524.png 101996360.png

Before: 3627953788.png

After: 3628071524.png 101996360.png

Wow you've some ping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Wow you've some ping!

Yeah, I wasn't expecting my ping to improve so dramatically. It should be noted that ping tests on Speedtest.net are not reliable but according to JD's Auto Speed Tester, when pinging Google.ie, my ping went from 30ms on ADSL2+ to 6ms on VDSL2.

It's better than some people's pings on FTTH. Pity I don't have the attention span for gaming to take advantage of it, not that my previous ping was bad either, though, I've noticed websites load a bit quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

'Upgraded' to UPC Horizon yesterday.

With ethernet cable.
    3630947240.png

On wi-fi
    3631081719.png

Advertisement