Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

The way things are going with my eFibre connection I'll be back to 8 meg soon. My speed is almost half what I was originally getting when I was connected back in December. I was getting 48/19 today it's 23/12. Not good at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

jca wrote: »
    The way things are going with my eFibre connection I'll be back to 8 meg soon. My speed is almost half what I was originally getting when I was connected back in December. I was getting 48/19 today it's 23/12. Not good at all.

Did you get Evision too?

Did you get Evision too?

I'm starting a free trial of eVision next Tuesday afternoon. Would they have dropped my speed already? According to the router stats my profile is now 34/15 with my attainable rate now down to 41/20. I'm posting from my phone so the figures aren't exact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

I'm starting a free trial of eVision next Tuesday afternoon. Would they have dropped my speed already? According to the router stats my profile is now 34/15 with my attainable rate now down to 41/20. I'm posting from my phone so the figures aren't exact.

Yes, when we went with evision we were moved off a 50/20 profile onto a 34/20 one for stability. It's been good though!

Yes, when we went with evision we were moved off a 50/20 profile onto a 34/20 one for stability. It's been good though!

Thanks for that. I'll see how it goes. The TV I'm connecting it to is upstairs with the router downstairs wired to a desktop. How do they connect to the eVision box?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Thanks for that. I'll see how it goes. The TV I'm connecting it to is upstairs with the router downstairs wired to a desktop. How do they connect to the eVision box?

As far as I'm aware they use powerline adapters from the router to the eVision box.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

3534622785.png
    upc 120mb broadband in sligo. Set it up in my parents house today and ping cant get any better than this.
    Wish i could get these speeds in my house in dundalk. Im on 3mb.

Mgit wrote: »
    3534622785.png
    upc 120mb broadband in sligo. Set it up in my parents house today and ping cant get any better than this.
    Wish i could get these speeds in my house in dundalk. Im on 3mb.

The Ennis server isn't right, don't trust the pings from it.

Ages ago loads of people were getting 0 pings.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

I'm on what Vodafone label as "a non standard delivery line" capable of delivering 1Mb max download speed. Currently my synch speed is 503kbit/s, which is par for the course for me. On a recent visit an Eircom engineer said my line was delivering 1.2Mb/s. What has changed recently after a modem re-boot is that the info is displaying my line as ADSL2+ rather than the usual ASDL2, but with no increase in speed. Any ideas as to why the Line standard should change & what can I now expect? Should I now leave the router/line connection be to learn & possibly develop somewhat higher speeds in the future or is that just folly?
    Line standard ADSL2+
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 503
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 124
    Downstream SNR (dB) 6.6
    Upstream SNR (dB) 17.9
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 76
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 50
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 0
    Upstream output power (dBmV) 12.6
    Downstream CRC 106111
    Upstream CRC 0
    Downstream FEC 676631
    Upstream FEC 0
    3537616004.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I'm on what Vodafone label as "a non standard delivery line" capable of delivering 1Mb max download speed. Currently my synch speed is 503kbit/s, which is par for the course for me. On a recent visit an Eircom engineer said my line was delivering 1.2Mb/s. What has changed recently after a modem re-boot is that the info is displaying my line as ADSL2+ rather than the usual ASDL2, but with no increase in speed. Any ideas as to why the Line standard should change & what can I now expect? Should I now leave the router/line connection be to learn & possibly develop somewhat higher speeds in the future or is that just folly?

The line standard probably changed because the modem has detected an upgrade at the exchange via the line. Just a guess. You won't see a change unless a fibre cabinet is nearer to you. The Exchange is 5km away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

red_bairn wrote: »
    The line standard probably changed because the modem has detected an upgrade at the exchange via the line. Just a guess. You won't see a change unless a fibre cabinet is nearer to you. The Exchange is 5km away.
    There's a fibre cab 2.2km - road disatance away, but God only knows what way the lines travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,913 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Got Eircom fibre yesterday
    3542812311.png

Compared to the 3 mb/s i was getting on a good day with Sky im VERY happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

VinLieger wrote: »
    Got Eircom fibre yesterday
    3542812311.png

Compared to the 3 mb/s i was getting on a good day with Sky im VERY happy :)

Is that speed wired or wifi do you mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

vodafone upto 100mb wireless connection from 2 foot distance @ a line length of 1000-1030m

Pinging google.ie [213.233.154.96] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 213.233.154.96: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=60
    Reply from 213.233.154.96: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=60
    Reply from 213.233.154.96: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=60
    Reply from 213.233.154.96: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 213.233.154.96:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 10ms, Average = 8ms

3544961488.png

Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type None
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 50176
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 15360
    Downstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 66208
    Upstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 23530
    Downstream SNR (dB) 14.4
    Upstream SNR (dB) 14.2
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 14.2
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 4.9
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 12.5
    Upstream output power (dBmV) 1.7
    Downstream CRC 0
    Upstream CRC 0
    Downstream FEC 507
    Upstream FEC 2

ive tried get a speedboost off them but they say eircom have the line locked at 50/15 even tho ive had 50/20 at this house from magnet

Is that speed wired or wifi do you mind me asking?

Thats wifi, havent checked wired yet actually good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Thats wifi, havent checked wired yet actually good idea

Very impressive for WiFi. I think didn't eircom's routers were capable of that speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Very impressive for WiFi. I think didn't eircom's routers were capable of that speed.

That really is incredible.

I've a new laptop, and am on the 70/20 profile, yet only get 30 wireless.

That really is incredible.

I've a new laptop, and am on the 70/20 profile, yet only get 30 wireless.

It all depends on the wireless card in the laptop too. People getting great wireless speeds with MacBooks.

It all depends on the wireless card in the laptop too. People getting great wireless speeds with MacBooks.

Ive gotten it with my Macbook and gaming PC on wireless. PC is using a dongle

Here's the wired Macbook test

3545657205.png

Ive gotten it with my Macbook and gaming PC on wireless. PC is using a dongle

Here's the wired Macbook test

3545657205.png

how far are you from the cabinet?

If you have line stats can you post them up (Noise margin, Attenuation etc.)

Solid connection!

• Advertisement

how far are you from the cabinet?

If you have line stats can you post them up (Noise margin, Attenuation etc.)

Solid connection!

No don't have them, there are two cabinets within distance not sure which im going off, 178 metres from one and 220 from the other

No don't have them, there are two cabinets within distance not sure which im going off, 178 metres from one and 220 from the other

It would be interesting to see them.

192.168.1.254 <--- Put that in your address bar and login.

Go to system monitor, click ''xDSL statistics'' and screencap it.

Your getting incredible speeds being further than I am from the cabinet.

I suspect your attainable is through the roof!

:D

I wonder will we ever see Eircom using the 30a profile in use or will Eircom milk this for as long as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Mine wired

3544766517.png

Mine on wifi just upstairs from the modem,no real obstacle bar stairs.

3545911487.png

3555562986.png

And the Ping Test to go with it!

99508429.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭nc6000

3560839404.png

Quite a difference between my Vodafone Speedtest result and the one in the previous post.

nc6000 wrote: »
    3560839404.png

Quite a difference between my Vodafone Speedtest result and the one in the previous post.
    That's true but you're still getting very respectable speeds nonetheless!

When Fibre does come to your area which you can check on the Eircom website then depending on how far/near you are to the Cabinet you could get speeds similar to mine!

Or maybe even better if you're really close :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18 plouto

hi can any one tell me if BT broadband can you get this still in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 18 plouto

hi i dont know i was with utv but vodafone have taken over them now

• Advertisement

Sky use the BT gear in the LLU exchanges.

Advertisement