Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Options
1899091929395»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Thanatus

Aye, speed tests should always be wired whenever possible really or that's my opinion at least. But yea speeds are great, the under load latency is good with occasional high spikes. Overall a good service at the moment with support staff that are responsive and local. Also nice that you get static IPv4 and ipv6 by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

This is driving me nuts. I have Vodafone 1Gb FTTH. For the past several weeks the connection always feels sluggish when browsing, and have had a few glitches on Zoom/Teams calls. Sure enough, when I run a speed test at https://www.speedtest.net I am consistently down in the 40-50 Mbps range with ping times often in dozens of milliseconds. My upload speed, however, is consistently around 105 Mbps (the nominal value I'd expect).

Now, when I run a speed test at https://switcher.ie/broadband/speed-test/ it's a completely different story. Same machine, hitting the same server just a few seconds later (it doesn't matter which one I choose), and it says I am getting consistently over 500 Mbps. This seems to be totally reproducible almost any time of day.

Both speed tests even look to be using the same Ookla widget. But the first (slower) one is more akin to how the connection "feels" when browsing, with sluggish and uneven page loads. I'm testing over Wifi but sitting next to the router, and I know from previous experience the Wifi usually maxes out around 600 Mbps.

Anyone seen anything like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Finally got Eir Fibre 500mb installed at weekend, tried quite a few speedtests at various times on wifi and its always about 50mbps, tv is still buffering a bit too

Had out router for 3yrs now and its a generic eir one, guessing its pretty crap

If i bought the below is it just a case of plugging it in and away we go (yeah, i know i'd have to change wifi codes etc)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-HomeShield-Compatible-Archer-AX53/dp/B09TPKT929/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3J0X0WU3VCVI6&keywords=EIR+ROUTER&qid=1690941356&sprefix=eir+router%2Caps%2C43&sr=8-2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

try a test via ethernet . -if nor try turning both boxs off for 10 minutes and them in . there telling installers to leave people on the f2000 and not give them the f3000

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

so is that a yes for the amazon linked router??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

the eir one should be workable if not they would send you another

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Thanatus

Are you still having issues or has it been sorted? If still having issues, would suggest using the speedtest.net standalone app or the CLI so as to rule out the browser/website and see how the results are then. It sure looks strange and first thing that comes to mind based on the speeds is wifi changing between 2.4ghz and 5ghz or potentially the browser acting up. Regardless hope it is in fact sorted by now and stable for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Botrys

was it sorted for you ?

this has been my experience with vodafone for the last 2 days

during the day everything seems fine

early in the night my download speeds go down to 1 mbps

2 days in a row now

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

I'm having the exact same problem as both of you in the Swords area in Dublin.

Vodafone 1Gbps and only getting max 10Mbps at night time. Fine during the day.

I rang Vodafone just there, and they said "there's an issue we're aware of" fair enough I said.

"It's affecting all of County Dublin" which I find hard to believe.

What part of Ireland are you in roughly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Have had Eir Gigabit for just over 1 week and havent yet had a test go over 500Mbps, averaging between 350 and 450 testing at various times of the day and night, uploads happily hit 100Mbps everytime. Lines are relatively new maybe 1-2 months so dont think its a congestion issue as I wfh and haven't seen the KN vans around much since they did the actual wiring upgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Are you testing wirelessly or wired? I have 1gig with VM and I've never had a sniff of getting 1gig wirelessly, for today's homes which are almost completely wireless 1 gig is mostly wasted, 500 is more than enough for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah I'm on 500mb, get 450-480 on WiFi for the most part.

Given that before FTTH I was getting 3mb I'm more than happy lol.

Now that's what you call an improvement 💥💥💥

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

Is anyone on here with Airwire? I've been with them for years with no issue until recently when I started to get major packet loss.

Connecting to a GoMo hotspot I get not packet loss on the same PC.

This is my result over a wired Ethernet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭justmehere

Eir eFibre 1GB wired

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

Just moved from 500mb BB with Virgin

using these test

https://fast.com/#

and

I average 250 to 400 mbps on two different laptop relatively new, using three tests

Virgin tell, me they router takes time to build up speed ?? I installed it an hour ago (the new BB router they supplied ) is a Sagemcom Fast3896

Virgin tell me to test using https://samknows.com/realspeed/ I suspect this test gives me a false positive , test comes in approx 850mb

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I been using a Fritzbox for years with Eir FTTH and then it stopped working about a week ago. Rang Eir and they sent me out an F3000 for free. Just done a speedtest and I've noticed that the upload has increased slightly. When I originally got FTTH I had an F2000 and quickly got rid of it for the Fritzbox. Uploads on both those modems were always similar around 90 to 94 at max. However I now have the F3000 and upload has changed to about 101, since when did OpenEir change the upload speed slightly to compensate for the overheads?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Just visiting my dads house in Clontarf and he has Eir 100 I believe. I have randomly tested his connection on and off over the day and night for a couple of days now and I am not getting a download speed over 3.5. And an upload of 11. Which is pretty awful. He said he called them at some point and the only thing they said to him was that he should pay for the 500 package. But he was loath to do so - so is just waiting at this point for the contract to expire so he can switch provider.

Is Eir particularly known to be bad in Clontarf?

What router has he got? It looks like he's on the old ADSL copper line to the exchange connection. The make of router will tell a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Chances are he can get full fibre for the same price or less especially if willing to switch or at least threaten it, so if available he should probably upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Its an Eir Fibre Box 14.1.0

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

In the process of switching from eir VDSL to Virgin cable, it’s nice (although not really needed) getting 1Gbps wired, but pity the latency is consistently 2x worse (although still acceptable to the gamers in the house)!

Latency is definitely a lot higher on VM. Have you got VM coax or is it the new ftth?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

VM Coax. I actually got a really good retention offer from eir, so I’m going to stick with them. Eir latency a quarter of VMs when both wired:

Post edited by dubber on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

No FTTH in Clontarf yet and won’t be until 2025/2026 I believe. It is crazy considering surrounding areas i.e. Artane/Doneycarney have it. FTTC is in the area so depending on line length/distance from the cabinet, the max. is 100 MB downstream and 20 upstream.

That's a great connection. When I had fttc I was getting 65/15 all day everyday in reality anything around those speeds is more than good enough for a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rain Spreading From The West

Digiweb up to 500. Test via ethernet connection.

Advertisement