Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

WHICH ONE OF THESE CARS WOULD YOU GET

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Why I wouldnt buy either personally is they are both faux performance cars, like the Hyundai Coupe.

Matt - that's a surprising comment coming from you. You never like it when someone says the Phaeton is just a faux luxury car, just like the Hyundai Sonata...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Sizzler wrote: »
    I know its a subjective issue but personally for that money Id be benchmarking the Honda against this -

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/TT/180-BHP-/200943195615158/advert?channel=CARS

Id take the Audi all day long.
    A girly, overpriced, ponsey, poor handling car over a high-rev'ing, pin-sharp, no badge snobbery proper car? Fair enough, whatever floats your boat! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭aliesneo

mildews wrote: »
    Neither!!! You will look like a skanger in both

haha i totally agree... with the neither part.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Biro wrote: »
    Yer man couldn't drive then. The 190 Celica would easily have the upper hand on the b16a Civic.

Would have thought so myself but got the pull on him every time on the straight. The civic made 177 on the dyno at westward, always was a quick one for the work done to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Integra all the way. The celica looks like it got into a fight with a wood chipper and lost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

These Integra's are Front Wheel Drive right?? Then what is the point of having a rear spoiler? It it just to look like a goon or are these an addition?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Matt - that's a surprising comment coming from you. You never like it when someone says the Phaeton is just a faux luxury car, just like the Hyundai Sonata...

Yeah, Im a hypocritical jerk that way. :)
    The gulf from Phaeton to "Sonata" of all things is bigger than Celica to Coupe.. by a million miles.
    Also, I dont have the Phaeton anymore, Im crusing in a V12 BMW coupe these days.

But I retract my comment, with the Integra in the mix I cant make a case, I think with some stretching one could say the Celica, like the Coupe, looks faster than it is. I guess one could say the Integra has the opposite appeal aesthetically! :pac:
    But for Jap performance I personally would be looking at that Scooby, Z Cars and GTRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭laoishibee

Lauder wrote: »
    These Integra's are Front Wheel Drive right?? Then what is the point of having a rear spoiler? It it just to look like a goon or are these an addition?

If your cornering fast you still need downforce at the back, these cars can be tail happy even though theyre fwd.

It benefits it to some extent but prob is more of an aesthetic addition!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭sleepysniper

laoishibee wrote: »
    If your cornering fast you still need downforce at the back, these cars can be tail happy even though theyre fwd.

It benefits it to some extent but prob is more of an aesthetic addition!

Wouldn't look right without the spoiler either!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Lauder wrote: »
    I read a thing on a dc2 forum a few weeks back about the differences between the dc2 SIR and Type R, one of them was the spoiler and front splitter.

On an SIR they are just for looks, but on the Type R they were developed in the wind tunnel to give equal downforce and all that.

I can only assume the DC5 is the same. Ant the spoiler on the DC5 looks brill, I've seen em without and it looks awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

As Grahamho says wind runnel as well as track testing has proven the benefits of a rear spoiler, they look well too.

You'd only look like a "goon" if you were driving say a 1.4 corolla or something with a pointless spoiler.

Do some people on here think motoring is about being as boring as possible and drive 90bhp cars from a to b or something? Seems to be a negative side affect of boards.ie's popularity :(

draffodx wrote: »
    Do some people on here think motoring is about being as boring as possible and drive 90bhp cars from a to b or something? Seems to be a negative side affect of boards.ie's popularity :(
    Indeed it does man. I cant understand people slating these drivers, in a motors forum! I thought this section was for car lovers!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

Yeah, Im a hypocritical jerk that way. :)
    The gulf from Phaeton to "Sonata" of all things is bigger than Celica to Coupe.. by a million miles.
    Also, I dont have the Phaeton anymore, Im crusing in a V12 BMW coupe these days.

But I retract my comment, with the Integra in the mix I cant make a case, I think with some stretching one could say the Celica, like the Coupe, looks faster than it is. I guess one could say the Integra has the opposite appeal aesthetically! :pac:
    But for Jap performance I personally would be looking at that Scooby, Z Cars and GTRs.

did you pick up a good 850ci recently or a new money 6 of sorts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

But I retract my comment, with the Integra in the mix I cant make a case,
    EVO magazine described the Integra-R (albeit DC2) as the best handling FWD car ever made that also manages to outdo some RWD icons. That's a pretty good recommendation I'd say.

B11gt00e wrote: »
    did you pick up a good 850ci recently or a new money 6 of sorts?

5.6l 850CSi, :D, there was no V12 6 series.
    JHMEG wrote: »
    EVO magazine described the Integra-R (albeit DC2) as the best handling FWD car ever made that also manages to outdo some RWD icons. That's a pretty good recommendation I'd say.

I said I take it back! :P
    I looked at its results on Fastestlaps.com, and wow, its definitely a fast fast car and it did indeed thrash some RWD star cars on tracks. Which makes the choice of it and the Celica (which is ok, but way outclassed here) even more lob sided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

5.6l 850CSi, :D

Good god. What's it like to drive and maintain?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

A girly, overpriced, ponsey, poor handling car over a high-rev'ing, pin-sharp, no badge snobbery proper car? Fair enough, whatever floats your boat! :p
    *sighs*

I was using the TT as an example. A top marque and arguably ground breaking design for a sports car of its generation and you are trying to tell me 9k for a jap import is better value :eek: I'm not saying the Honda is a bad car Im just trying to highlight the price is ridiculous when there is better value to be had for that sort of money. It may well be the "market rate" for the model but theres better to be had for that sort of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I looked at its results on Fastestlaps.com, and wow, its definitely a fast fast car and it did indeed thrash some RWD star cars on tracks.
    It's not about speed tho, it's about handling and about feedback to the driver. The DC2 is famous for both. I can't comment on the DC5 but have seen it described in one auto mag as standing head and shoulders above the DC2 (tho I'm sure many will disagree).

The makers went so far in tuning the DC2-R that not only are some body panels thinner than the standard car, but some are thicker where rigidity was required. Also a little known fact is the car is perfectly balanced side-to-side when it has an ~85kg driver and no passenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

*sighs*

I was using the TT as an example. A top marque and arguably ground breaking design for a sports car of its generation and you are trying to tell me 9k for a jap import is better value :eek: I'm not saying the Honda is a bad car Im just trying to highlight the price is ridiculous when there is better value to be had for that sort of money. It may well be the "market rate" for the model but theres better to be had for that sort of cash.

that might be your point but the TT simply isn't a better car.
    never has and never will be.

SV wrote: »
    that might be your point but the TT simply isn't a better car.
    never has and never will be.
    The TT was for illustration purposes only my good man :)

The TT cost some poor bugger night on 50K at one stage, the Honda was probably no more than 25k in Japan new and some lad is trying to cream some poor recession beaten buyer for close to 10k:eek:

We could argue all day about the Honda being better than [INSERT RANDOM CAR HERE] but we'll move on :)

• Advertisement

Just because someone paid €50k for a TT and then it suffered massive depreciation doesn't make it a better car or a better buy for someone.

Same with any other car just because its come down in price more so than another car doesn't make it a better buy, in fact it could mean the opposite, the depreciation may be due to the car not being any good

Confab wrote: »
    Good god. What's it like to drive and maintain?
    Fantastic to drive (4 wheel steering and near 50/50 weight distribution). Spent EUR3k on parts within the first 4wks. Still have a few bits to do, largely the fault of previous owner/garage(s) that were selling it.
    JHMEG wrote: »
    It's not about speed tho, it's about handling and about feedback to the driver. The DC2 is famous for both. I can't comment on the DC5 but have seen it described in one auto mag as standing head and shoulders above the DC2 (tho I'm sure many will disagree).
    The makers went so far in tuning the DC2-R that not only are some body panels thinner than the standard car, but some are thicker where rigidity was required. Also a little known fact is the car is perfectly balanced side-to-side when it has an ~85kg driver and no passenger.
    I think Ill go see if there is one in Forza3 to play with later! :)

I think Ill go see if there is one in Forza3 to play with later! :)

There is, the Jap spec Dc2 is there anyway, not sure about the Dc5

draffodx wrote: »
    Just because someone paid €50k for a TT and then it suffered massive depreciation doesn't make it a better car or a better buy for someone.

Same with any other car just because its come down in price more so than another car doesn't make it a better buy, in fact it could mean the opposite, the depreciation may be due to the car not being any good
    Indeed!

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/318Ci-M-/200940195393675/advert?channel=CARS

I bet you still pick the Honda ;)

Probably, if I was buying a BMW it would have to be an M3 or M5

Are you trying to say that it's a better car?

There's a 2L BMW in my house and it aint as good as the Integra as a drivers car. Have you ever even driven one?

But the TT, I do like them a lot, but I wouldn't so for one unless it was the 225 bhp one!

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Are you trying to say that it's a better car?

There's a 2L BMW in my house and it aint as good as the Integra as a drivers car. Have you ever even driven one?

But the TT, I do like them a lot, but I wouldn't so for one unless it was the 225 bhp one!
    Have driven the beamer alright but not the honda, dont doubt its a decent car. Nevermind the bhp bollox, we live in Ireland remember :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Have driven the beamer alright but not the honda, dont doubt its a decent car. Nevermind the bhp bollox, we live in Ireland remember :D

then you might aswell buy a 1.1 fiesta if thats your argument!
    the 318Ci is a comfy cruiser with 136 bhp, the DC5 is a performance car with 220bhp, LSD etc etc why are the 2 cars even for one minute being compared?

you talk about value for money........if i wanted a comfy cruiser i'd buy a BMW, if i wanted a performance car i'd buy the Honda, smple as.

kceire wrote: »
    then you might aswell buy a 1.1 fiesta if thats your argument!
    the 318Ci is a comfy cruiser with 136 bhp, the DC5 is a performance car with 220bhp, LSD etc etc why are the 2 cars even for one minute being compared?

you talk about value for money........if i wanted a comfy cruiser i'd buy a BMW, if i wanted a performance car i'd buy the Honda, smple as.
    I think it all stemmed from me saying the Honda was not worth the cash, whoops :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think it all stemmed from me saying the Honda was not worth the cash, whoops :D

nothing to do with money here, but if you try to compare cars, then try pick suitable cars to compare :D

we all dont want eco, green, diesel mondeos.......:D

Advertisement