Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE STORYLAND 2 Promos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

high heels wrote: »
    The rest look crap like last years bunch.. Nothing will come out of it other than a job to the people who cant get a job in the industry for a few weeks..

Well considering a few people who have ones in this year are full time professionals working in Film and Television I'd have to say you're fairly wide of the mark there.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cartom

Storyland 2
    Is now up :) and running
    http://www.rte.ie/storyland/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Devastation

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Horrible overacting from that 'American guy'. Also, wasn't it supposed to be a 30 sec pitch not a whole scene?

Have you read the script from that one? It's hard to tell from a pitch how the whole series will pan out. The first episode might have been very weak. Who knows?

Hey there.

We are the guys who made the Devastation pitch. That youtube clip is a sample scene. We submitted a 30 second pitch as per the requirements. We shot the sample scene for ourselves as an exercise and stuck it up on youtube.

Best of luck to those who got through. Looking forward to seeing the finished products.

We are the guys who made the Devastation pitch. That youtube clip is a sample scene. We submitted a 30 second pitch as per the requirements. We shot the sample scene for ourselves as an exercise and stuck it up on youtube.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

First episodes are up!

Anyone have any info on the Star Feck situation?

Seems like a complete waste of a place in the finals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Diarmsquid wrote: »
    First episodes are up!

Anyone have any info on the Star Feck situation?

Seems like a complete waste of a place in the finals.

There's a big discussion going on over on filmmakersnetwork.ie about it. Seems like they were disqualified for breaking the rules and now members of the crew are complaining on Facebook. Seems a silly and pointless thing to do really and it only serves to make them look like amateurs. I haven't heard anyone from the production actually state why it was disqualified - all they seem to be saying is something vague about the weather and a script problem.

Somehow I doubt RTE would disqualify something they put money into without a good reason. But until the Starfeck people state exactly why they were disqualified they won't be getting much support from anyone.

So.... has anyone watched Storyland then?

Just got through the second episodes tonight.

Here's my brief thoughts:

Butchers is well done, funny with two good leads. I can see this walking away with it.
    Zombie Bashers is saved by some decent gags, good effects and a good main actor. But it's still lacking a bit of narrative drive.
    Daily Strife is poorly executed. Bad storytelling and no good jokes. It is supposed to be a comedy isn't it?
    We Own The Streets is weak. Some ok sections here and there but the central character isn't well drawn and I have no clue why this film crew would even be bothered following him.
    Mariana is a step up from last year's PubWorld (directed by the same guys) but the lead actress is miscast - I don't buy her at all. Not sure if this is down to her or the direction she's receiving but the dialogue doesn't help. Clunky Clunky Clunky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 atomised

Review of Storyland 2

OK, so it's now a comedy drama competition -- inevitable after everyone saw the voting last year. Well done to all on getting two episodes made in an really short timescale on a minuscule budget. It is very hard to make something decent within those constraints and I'm sure all the teams would make changes if they could. In the spirit of constructive criticism:

Butchers is nicely shot and the two leads are good actors though the directors are hardly stretching them. But the implausibilities of the plot are just too much and push it into the realm of cartoon (health inspector waits an hour to be served meat in an empty shop -- check the relevant episode of Fawlty Towers to see how they filled in that time). For it to be funny the situations have to be this side of believable.

Zombie Bashers is the best of the lot so far. Hate the gore but the lead character is fantastic and brilliantly acted. Production values not great but fit with the concept.

Daily Strife could have been great, interesting premise, good lead actor, reasonable production values but the writing lets this down. If the comedy is incidental then the action should draw you and and make you care about the lead -- but you don't. Well... I don't.

We Own The Streets -- I thought this was going to be my favourite from the trailer. Looked edgy, slightly political, bringing news from outsider culture back to the mainstream. But instead it's inane and pointless. Filmed on a handycam by the look of it. What went wrong between concept and execution?

Mariana -- special effects do not a drama make. This is all over the place -- lead character (well-acted) is a novelist, a seer, a vampire, a vigilante and a seducer. One would have sufficed. Plus she talks to the camera in an incredibly irritating way. Nicely shot but nothing in this to make me care what happens next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 greengrl

I think Daily Strife is pretty good. It's the best looking webisode by far and the performances are great. More than that, it just seems like an adult production. The writing doesn't go for the easy sit com style laugh but aims for a deeper darker more mature humour.

greengrl wrote: »
    I think Daily Strife is pretty good. It's the best looking webisode by far and the performances are great. More than that, it just seems like an adult production. The writing doesn't go for the easy sit com style laugh but aims for a deeper darker more mature humour.

The writing may go for a deeper darker more mature humour but it certainly doesn't find it. It feels like a sketch that goes nowhere. Things happen in it for no reason (the guy with the gun in episode 2?) and it lacks any sort of decent direction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 greengrl

Regarding Daily Strife, I thought the guy with the gun was hilarious, like Elmer Fudd. Like I said before, the performances were great and the storyline was crystal clear and cohesive. At the end of episode 2, I wanted to know what happens next I mean there was a guy with a gun hopping around like a looney tune. I thought the direction was spot on.

greengrl wrote: »
    Regarding Daily Strife, I thought the guy with the gun was hilarious, like Elmer Fudd. Like I said before, the performances were great and the storyline was crystal clear and cohesive. At the end of episode 2, I wanted to know what happens next I mean there was a guy with a gun hopping around like a looney tune. I thought the direction was spot on.

Yeah - the whole guy with a gun thing made no sense. It was just badly written - you cannot say that the storyline was crystal clear when you have the main character suddenly being stalked by a guy with a gun who has come out of nowhere.

It'll be one of the first to get knocked out, after We Own The Streets I'd imagine.

And just to preempt the inevitable question - what part did you play on the production of Daily Strife/Which one of your friends directs/writes it?

etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jaydeluxe

Co-writer/director of BUTCHERS here. Hope you're enjoying Storyland.

As this is a film production forum, if anyone has any questions about the show, its creation and production fire away and I'll do my best to answer them.

http://www.rte.ie/storyland/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

The results are in and are as follows:

1. The Butchers
    2. We Own the Streets
    3. Mariana
    4. Zombie Bashers
    5. Daily Strife

Congratulations to THE BUTCHERS for making it through with the most votes, hard luck to Daily Strife, but I didn't see it going too far.

That said, I'm surprised that WOTS came in 2nd place; it really does nothing for me at all and I find it a chore to watch.

We Own The Streets must have really down well with the online marketing. Does it have a big following on Facebook and the like?

Thought it would be the first out and then Daily Strife.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Tbh, I found Zombie Bashers to be the best of the lot. It needs work but the main character is pretty good.

I don't understand the popularity with We Own The Streets, I don't find it funny at all.

Mariana is all style, no substance.

I dunno, I think the "mockumentary" style has overstayed it's welcome. But still, fair play to those that got through.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

I'm having all sorts of trouble with the player on the rte site. So I can't really comment on them.

Exar Khun wrote: »
    I'm having all sorts of trouble with the player on the rte site. So I can't really comment on them.

You can watch them on the RTE player as well as on the Storyland site: http://www.rte.ie/player/#s=search&q=storyland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭johnfunk

Isnt dissapointing to see the compition turn into a popularity contest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

johnfunk wrote: »
    Isnt dissapointing to see the compition turn into a popularity contest
    ah no, I don't think it should be a popularity contest, the quality should be first and foremost.

• Advertisement

Storyland Episodes 3 are now live for watching and voting!

jaydeluxe wrote: »
    Storyland Episodes 3 are now live for watching and voting!

Another solid episode from Butchers. Although my vote went to Zombie Bashers this time around, some quality gore and laughs in there - plus a surpise appearance from another Storylander at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Loriharton

Hey Lorraine here,

I'm actually involved in one of the storyland shows "Zombie bashers". Everyone's working really hard on it and I personally think it's a really funny and original spin on the zombie genre. We were disappointed that it came second last in the previous round so if you do like it please vote for it as I really think it deserves to go through! Just go to www.rte.ie/storyland and vote for Zombie Bashers.

Sorry for the plug but I really think it deserves to get through as it's getting better with each episode! x

Loriharton wrote: »
    Hey Lorraine here,

I'm actually involved in one of the storyland shows "Zombie bashers". Everyone's working really hard on it and I personally think it's a really funny and original spin on the zombie genre. We were disappointed that it came second last in the previous round so if you do like it please vote for it as I really think it deserves to go through! Just go to www.rte.ie/storyland and vote for Zombie Bashers.

Sorry for the plug but I really think it deserves to get through as it's getting better with each episode! x

A deserved win for Zombie Bashers this round!

Although I'm still puzzled as to why We Own The Streets is number two. It's a lot weaker than Butchers I felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I think that WOTS is a lot more subtle than butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

good f*cking riddance to mariana

tba wrote: »
    I think that WOTS is a lot more subtle than butchers.

Perhaps but it's not funnier. In fact it barely raised a smile with me over the 3 episodes.

The whole conceit is a bit tired and overdone at this point and they don't go anywhere imaginative with it from what I can tell.

Storyland Episodes 4 are now live for watching and voting!

Vote BUTCHERS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭deathstarkiller

Vote for Zombie Bashers. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

^ Deathstarkiller is one of the Zombies in Ep4 of Zombie Bashers :D
    attachment.php?attachmentid=109614&stc=1&d=1270216293

Advertisement