Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE STORYLAND 2 Promos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭johnfunk

i disagree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Brendan Canty

johnfunk wrote: »
    My criticism of bugbusters is not a personal attack, i simply suggested as a member of the audience that i didn't think that it would hold my interest for six episodes. Any excuse can be put forward as to why the promo looks the way it does but at the end of the day a link was posted and comments were asked for, mine happen to be negative but its my opinion.

I appreciate your opinion John, I really do. And thanks for all the feedback. But I would like if you could focus on some of the positives and what we could be doing better. Feckin hell your first comment was not at all about what you thought...just about how much your girlfriend hated it and how she thought we wasted our time. That's a bit insulting. No one who goes through this amount of effort is wasting their time. For a student run, no budget(€100) preview episode, and a comedy at that (which is a tough skill) I think we've done ourselves fairly damn proud. You seem to throw other preview episodes in our face and go on about how this is how it should be done. Those were made by a production company with a budget, a good technical team with a man for every job. So give us a break and tell us what we should be doing to improve rather than what we're doing wrong. I co-produced, co-wrote, directed, edited, did the sound and was cameraman so obviously it's going to not live up to it's full potential than if it had a budget and a technical team behind it. But the large and great positive feedback we have been getting from people is really helping us and we are ready to drive on!!
    BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Oh gods I retract my support of punchline...Its I return my support to bugbusters.

Back of the net!!!

i disagree

Point proven

I dont think that those other previews where made by a production company.

Point proven

What point?

• Advertisement

http://www.eekrebfilms.com/about.html
    What point?

That you're negative in all your criticism.

Take Blitzkrieg as an example. He talked about what he thought did not work but also what did work and gave us pointers about how we should improve. I don't mind negative criticism but it gets to a certain point where you just think you're out to undermine us. We've gotten loads of good feedback from people so we must be doing something right. So focus on the good or what we can do to fix the bad and help us make Bugbusters a success!

You are missing my point I didn't like it, i don't have anything positive to say about it. I thought it didn't work and while other people might have liked it that's their opinion and mine is mine. i think that if it get commissioned that rte will have wasted 16,000 euro of licence fee. I'm not trying to undermine you I'm just stating an opinion. Its easy to make something look bad there is no skill in that, the trick is to make it look good which has been pointed out by other posters.

If you only want positive feedback then just continue showing it to friends and family if you want genuine feedback post a link on a message board and sit back and take it.

Don't let my opinion put you off, stick with it but do learn to respect your audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lazialane

Hey guys, Just been reading up on all the posts so far. Got to say 'Bugbusters' is prob my fav.I thoroughly enjoyed it and I actually got a good few laughs. I reckon with a budget it will definately be a hit. Think its probably one of the most original ideas I've come across and I just want to wish the guys who made it the best of luck!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lazialane

Its easy to make something look bad there is no skill in that, the trick is to make it look good which has been pointed out by other posters.

In my opinion you can save the looking good part for when you get commissioned to properly make it! Its more important to get the story across and where it will lead if commissioned! Every entery will have great post production and will look great with a budget.I thought alot of the other entries looked better but lacked imagination and originality! Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed the other submissions and would like to congratulate everybody on their efforts.:)

• Advertisement

The budget is only 8 grand per episode which is peanuts, i spent more than that on my college films, by the time you pay people, feed people, hire the odd location spend money on petrol you will soon realise how little it is.

I got more information from the written introduction that accompanied the initial post than I did from the promo.

Listen we will agree to disagree but I would be surprised if this gets the green light

Its easy to make something look bad there is no skill in that, the trick is to make it look good which has been pointed out by other posters.

Yes there is no skill in making something look bad. But there is a skill in making things look bad on purpose for humour. Again look at Garth Marenghi, who do it brilliantly.
    If you only want positive feedback then just continue showing it to friends and family if you want genuine feedback post a link on a message board and sit back and take it.

Don't let my opinion put you off, stick with it but do learn to respect your audience.

Have you been reading my comments at all? I've sat back and taken all the good and the bad. I'm insulted by the way you say respect your audience because I've been very respectful and open to constructive feedback.

When I asked you to try and be more helpful and constructive you can't and make me look like I'm being disrespectful to my audience. Complete bollocks! I'm getting frustrated with you because as you said yourself you've got nothing constructive to say and yet you keep on posting negatively about the project. That sounds to me like someone trying to undermine us.

We are very new to this so we want peoples opinions to help and guide us in the right direction. Not someone who's telling us it's **** and a waste of time on a number of occasions.

So I suggest you keep you and your girlfriends non-constructive opinions to yourself or take them elsewhere cause you are no help to us here. And I think we all have made it very clear that you and your girlfriend are not our target audience.

So who is your target audience? Do you understand the term? Why are you only interested in positive feedback?

Like I mentioned before I am a fan of Garth Marenghi they are brilliant at what they do, but to compare yourself to them is ridiculous. I understand that you are only starting out and i respect that, but now is the time to learn how to do stuff properly, walk before you run.

So who is your target audience? Do you understand the term? Why are you only interested in positive feedback?

Like I mentioned before I am a fan of Garth Marenghi they are brilliant at what they do, but to compare yourself to them is ridiculous. I understand that you are only starting out and i respect that, but now is the time to learn how to do stuff properly, walk before you run.

The target audience to me is all those people who have enjoyed it and have laughed at the jokes. Students and people who just love a bit of silliness.
    By positive feedback I mean any feedback that helps me. I probably confused the term. What I want is simple...if you think we are doing something wrong, then tell me and also tell me what could make it right. I keep comparing ourselves to Garth Marenghi because you keep telling us we are making stuff look bad for nothing, that it is cheating. You seem to have latched on to that comment I made about making it purposely look bad. I don't think you got what I meant. When I said that I wanted to make things look purposely bad, I meant it in the same way that Garth Marenghi do, for a joke.

I don't understand how you mean "do stuff properly?". RTE have invited people with no background in TV to enter, even if the preview is off their phone. It's not exclusively for the professionals. If we get through we will get those pro's behind us to enable us to run.

You are right RTE have thrown the doors open to all that to apply for funding for storyland. they do this so they can attract people to the commissioning process who may have felt alienated in the past. they are looking for new ideas and new talent, I'm not arguing that you are not talented you are! but this is not the idea that will get you noticed.

Im not trying to undermine you Im just pointing out that your approach may be flawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LilLolaDee

Who the hell spends over eight grand on a college film? Get off your high horse johnfunk. You're coming across as a snob.

LilLolaDee wrote: »
    Who the hell spends over eight grand on a college film? Get off your high horse johnfunk. You're coming across as a snob.

Im not on a high horse, I was merely pointing out that 8 grand isnt a lot of cash when making pictures. How does that sound snobby? Dont be ridiculous.

Its not like i spent my own money, it was the cash that was provided by the college to make the projects what was i suppose to do say no thanks.

Im not on a high horse, I was merely pointing out that 8 grand isnt a lot of cash when making pictures. How does that sound snobby? Dont be ridiculous.

Its not like i spent my own money, it was the cash that was provided by the college to make the projects what was i suppose to do say no thanks.

Unfortunately we don't all have such luxuries.

but this is not the idea that will get you noticed.

Im not trying to undermine you I'm just pointing out that your approach may be flawed.

Again this is your opinion. I obviously disagree :D And if this idea doesn't work than I'll try again and again until I do.

Can I see this college film that you spent over 8grand on as a matter of interest?

Unfortunately we don't all have such luxuries.

now you are being childish

• Advertisement

Again this is your opinion. I obviously disagree :D And if this idea doesn't work than I'll try again and again until I do.

Can I see this college film that you spent over 8grand on as a matter of interest?

You can of course, its available online.

www.vimeo.com/5188851

Anyway...sorry this thread has digressed so much!!
    Anyone else have constructive feedback about our preview episode and the idea behind the show? :)

now you are being childish

How so? Perhaps you shouldn't make comments about all the money you have for your college films to people who are trying to make films on zero budgets if you don't like the reaction its going to get.

How so? Perhaps you shouldn't make comments about all the money you have for your college films to people who are trying to make films on zero budgets if you don't like the reaction its going to get.

You have missed my point completely. You where saying that when Brendan got the cash from RTE that he was going to transform bugbusters in terms of production value, i was pointing out that 8 grand doesnt go a long way in producing a film. Im sorry that my throw away comment about a previous budget i worked with offended you but i was trying to use it as a point of comparison. A film will be as good as the people who work on it. is brendan planning of hiring new actors and crew if he is successful? this will swallow the majority of the budget leaving a tiny amount for production value.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

MOD BOOTS ON

everybody chill!

stop the sniping and snaping at each other, take a deep breath and remember we are all adults.

Now out of curiosity Brenden what did you think of the other entries that have shown up so far?

MOD BOOTS ON

everybody chill!

stop the sniping and snaping at each other, take a deep breath and remember we are all adults.

Now out of curiosity Brenden what did you think of the other entries that have shown up so far?

Point taken sorry.

You have missed my point completely. You where saying that when Brendan got the cash from RTE that he was going to transform bugbusters in terms of production value, i was pointing out that 8 grand doesnt go a long way in producing a film. Im sorry that my throw away comment about a previous budget i worked with offended you but i was trying to use it as a point of comparison. A film will be as good as the people who work on it. is brendan planning of hiring new actors and crew if he is successful? this will swallow the majority of the budget leaving a tiny amount for production value.

Maybe he's not planning to hire new actors. I think the actors work well. 8 grand can go a long way with a bit of planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

A film will be as good as the people who work on it. is brendan planning of hiring new actors and crew if he is successful?

If RTE are as much of a stickler for budgeting as the BCI (now BAI?) then it will be mandatory that the crew will be hired and not volunteers.

I had to do out the budget for a sound & vision project 2 years ago, and despite me covering numerous roles and it having a minimal cast, the budget got devoured by crew costs, that was with owning our own equipment aswell. And that was 7.5 grand per episode. Storyland is only half a grand bigger and has a larger cast.

And they'll be a stickler that everyone is paid properly and so on.

I wouldnt be surprised if how the budget was proposed will be one of the biggest factors in the final decision of who goes forward.

You can of course, its available online.

www.vimeo.com/5188851

I thought it was very well shot, coloured and the locations and lighting were very nice. I thought the story was very slow moving. I thought it dragged things on a bit too much and I got bored. I would have taken the story and cut it down a lot either in the editing room or beforehand. But I understand that the film probably had to be a certain length for a college film yes?

• Advertisement

If RTE are as much of a stickler for budgeting as the BCI (now BAI?) then it will be mandatory that the crew will be hired and not volunteers.

I had to do out the budget for a sound & vision project 2 years ago, and despite me covering numerous roles and it having a minimal cast, the budget got devoured by crew costs, that was with owning our own equipment aswell. And that was 7.5 grand per episode. Storyland is only half a grand bigger and has a larger cast.

And they'll be a stickler that everyone is paid properly and so on.

I wouldnt be surprised if how the budget was proposed will be one of the biggest factors in the final decision of who goes forward.

RTE do insist that everyone is paid for there time and signs a contract in order that they are able to broadcast

Advertisement