Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Sorry to read about the latest turn off events. Hopefully it clears up sufficiently before tomorrow. You seem clear-headed about things though and your 6K withdraw plan sounds wise. I think the more marathons you run the more mature you become about them and the more you realise there's always another day. I think it becomes easier to accept that the priority is your body and easier to think long-term over short-term. In bocca al lupo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

So sorry to hear that Meno, really hope you feel better tommorow. But I echo what the lads are saying- it's only one race so mind yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Meno, thats terrible, hopefully it will be sorted by tomorrow and if not, be sensible, which i'm sure you will. As the other say its one race, there's another around the corner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

That is awful luck niall. Hope it clears up for you in the morning buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well this was my poxy marathon. The ibuprofen seemed to have a good effect last night as I was back walking pain free but I kind of knew on the walk down to the startline that things werent' right as I had a few sharp pains.
    Started off Ok for the first mile but then I felt the outside of the right leg begin to tense up pretty badly, especially on corners. The legs was obviously over compensating for injury, then I started getting some pains in the arse to make things worse. Stepped off the course at 6k as per my exit strategy and I only has 200m back to the hotel.... I could definitely have gotten through the course today but it would have been ugly, slow and I would have been hobbling a lot

Anyway first priority will be to go down and watch the others then get pissed tonight. After that I need to get the injury fixed before planning what to do next...the physio reckons he can get this cleared up with 3 or 4 specific sessions...Still I'm leaning towards not racing marathins until the spring and building on the fitness built up and having a crack at sub 3 in Barcelona...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Really sorry to hear that meno, but you did the right thing pulling up! Reading your post yesterday brought back the horrible memories of the piriformis trouble I had during DCM.

Your physio will have you sorted in a few sessions, do the stretches he gives you daily, and you can look forward to a spring sub3.

Try and enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

RubyK wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear that meno, but you did the right thing pulling up! Reading your post yesterday brought back the horrible memories of the piriformis trouble I had during DCM.

Your physio will have you sorted in a few sessions, do the stretches he gives you daily, and you can look forward to a spring sub3.

Try and enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

Thanks, Yeah hopefully I can get the injury sorted pronto and get back to pace DCM. I have had this on and off for a year now but it has only recently been diagnosed as Piriformis syndrome :mad: At least knowing what it is should ensure it is fixed up a quick enough. Basically it is just knots at the base of the muscle which unfortunately 'stragle' the sciatic nerve casuing the sharp pains..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

You'll be grand again once the physio gets to work on it :D and it'll be sorted once and for all. Nasty little muscle that piriformis!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Gutted for you. That is just not fair. Youll blast the next one.

Gutted for you. That is just not fair. Youll blast the next one.

Yeah man, thanks but I have got to be philosphical. I am so glad I raced Blackpool now or else I would still have a 3:24 PB :o.
    Realistically I would have taken 5-6 minutes off my Blackpool time (3:10) today but not gone sub 3. Barcelona will be a definite sub 3 attempt and it will still be good as a london and boston qualifier for 2014, so not much has been lost I reckon..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sorry to hear it meno, you were on for a good run today. :(
    Pints, physio, and then putting the benefits of your marathon training to good use in some shorter races this winter...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Niall gutted for you but correct decsion made. As regards pacing Dublin take your phyios advice on this, 26 miles on this type of injury regardless of the pace could sideline you afterwards so that a spring marathon would be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Very unlucky Niall!
    If there happens to be a quick fix though you could consider Valencia on Nov 18th with myself. Supposed to be pretty flat. A shame to waste all that great training but get the pf fixed first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

belcarra wrote: »
    Very unlucky Niall!
    If there happens to be a quick fix though you could consider Valencia on Nov 18th with myself. Supposed to be pretty flat. A shame to waste all that great training but get the pf fixed first!

Jesus man, don't let CL know this or we'll be off to.Spain for the sub 3 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Jesus man, don't let CL know this or we'll be off to.Spain for the sub 3 ;)

She could well improve by more than 8 mins over the next 7 weeks going at her current rate!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Didn't see this yesterday, sorry to hear about the injury Niall. Didn't realise you'd picked one up. A real stinker when you've worked so hard to have it nabbed from you so close to race day. Know how that feels, recover and take it easy and you have an epic base to start training for the next one from without having to recover from a marathon you'll get back to it much quicker.

Don't smoke too much. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Ahh, sorry to hear that - sounded like you are in great general shape...enjoy the beers, at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Izoard wrote: »
    Ahh, sorry to hear that - sounded like you are in great general shape...enjoy the beers, at least...

+1 on this - I'm in no doubt you will all enjoy the beers. Hopefully you can get the injury sorted soon and an alternate plan in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Jez gutted for u Meno

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Tough break Meno, you looked very comfortable that day in the park, I'm sure you would've nailed it.
    I had something similar at the beginning of the year, don't rush back and do the rehab work I'm sure you'll get.
    P.S. don't get too drunk tonight - someone needs to mind the kids!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Sorry to hear u got injured. Take your time coming back from it and enjoy the beers

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Rotten luck Meno. Very frustrating after focusing and putting in the training . Good luck with the recovery and getting the problem sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Wise move to exit as planned. Really unfortunate timing with this injury. But the training is still in the legs and I guess it means you're building on a really good base for your sub 3 attempt. Forward to Barcelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

So sorry to hear this N, gutted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

+1 to all of the above. That's a horrible way to get derailed. Yeah - unless you are sure about the injury spring might be the safest best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Yep its gotta be a spring marathon.

2 months to the day until the Waterford Half, plenty of time to recover, pace DCM, and knock out a Mcmillan sub 3 equivalent half down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Sorry to hear this. Not the result your training deserved but you showed great discipline to pull out of your goal race at such an early stage as I'm sure many people would have tried to carry on. You have built up a great base for the future and if you can stay injury free I'm sure you will be celebrating a sub 3 marathon sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Not what i was expecting to be reading, sh1t luck Niall and terrible timing for you. I had the exact same injury a few weeks before Roth and it can be a right pain in the a$$ (excuse the pun) Problem with the injury is if it is left long enough its hard to get the muscle back out of a contracted state and it keeps a strangle hold on the sciatic nerve.
    Get the injury sorted pronto and race you down in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Sorry to hear things didn't go to plan Niall but we know you'll be back. Do you think in a way you might have got away with it if you didn't go to the physio? Maybe him working on it a bit worsened the problem in the short term?

Just wondering what your thoughts are or how bad it was before visiting him?

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear things didn't go to plan Niall but we know you'll be back. Do you think in a way you might have got away with it if you didn't go to the physio? Maybe him working on it a bit worsened the problem in the short term?

Just wondering what your thoughts are or how bad it was before visiting him?

Yeah definitely him prodding at it on thursday made it flare up I really should just have had the sports massage and not asked him to look at the piriformis again (he only did this for the last 5 minutes). But running 7.5 miles the next morning into work most likely put the nail in the coffin. I knew after a few miles I was in trouble but I couldn't get a taxi to stop and I had to be in work for 9 :o

The same thing happened when I went to see the physio 10 days earlier- the next day the injury was worse but then it calmed down a bit.

I'll be honest I think he was misdiagnosing it before because he was prodding away at the general area but not putting his finger on the problem and I wasn't feeling any sharp pain.

I went back last night and I am finally sure he is actually got to the root of the problem now. There are several muscles/ligaments around my hip that are constantly 'clunking' when I walk, they are toally knotted up into each other causing me to have a lot of motion problems. Basically I can only walk/run on the outside of my right foot as the hip only allows it to point outwards. I am pretty sore today but more in a 'bruised' way. I have to go back again on Saturday and probably again next week but I can get back to a few 2 milers at recovery pace over the next few days and fingers crossed get back to a bit of real running next week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement