Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck over the weekend, push out and give it socks all the way. Statistics are in your favour because since 1989, no one has hit the wall in Berlin :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Diplomacy and humility in one post. :eek::P

Has somebody hacked meno's boards.ie account ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck at the weekend Meno. The last year has been a huge transformation in terms of your training approach and it looks to have stood to you in good stead. Your in good shape and well able to hit your target will be looking forward to your report after the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Best of luck in Berlin Meno. You've been doing some quality training so it shouldn't be a bother to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

All the best Meno...give it socks....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

So whats the target for Berlin boss? More importantly whats the gameplan?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck Niall. The solid training deserves a solid result. Hope you have a blinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Very best of luck for Berlin, will be keeping an eye on the live tracking come Sunday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

tunguska wrote: »
    So whats the target for Berlin boss? More importantly whats the gameplan?

Simple 7 min/mile strategy with hopfully a fast last 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Best of Luck Meno. Hope you get the time your training deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Have a good one Meno, your training has been great so I hope you get what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Best of luck Meno. Have a ball in Berlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Best of luck on Sunday Meno. Your old hat at marathons at this stage so you know what to do and nice to have a couple of pretenders to keep you honest ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Good luck on Sunday meno give it wellie.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck. Whatever you do don't get oaped.

Don't worry. That's never gonna happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hiya! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

menoscemo wrote: »

I draw your attention to position 72 & 78 :D

http://www.precisiontiming.net/result/racetimer?v=%252Fen%252Frace%252Fshow%252F898%253Flayout%253Dprecision_timing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck Meno, your training will get you your rewards!!:D Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Best of luck Meno, really hope it goes to plan for you. Sub3, no probs:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Berlin time already, that came round pretty quickly. Best of luck. Really hope you nail it. But then you'll surely need to start re-considering this log's title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »

Since the last time anyway......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Have a great race N and enjoy the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Good luck Meno, hope eveything 'runs' smoothly and you can get sub 3 (I know you're gonna go for it!!)

Thanks for all the good wishes folks, unfortunately I am not very confident at the moment.

Everything was going well this week.
    3 miles east on Monday, 6 on Tuesday and met digger and CL for 2 @ MP on Wednesday. We jogged 2 miles up to Marlay park and decided to do our MP's on the 2 mile loop (uphill first mile and downhill 2nd). I settled into a comofrtble pace on the uphill, didn't look at the watch but run by feel. I was surpised to hear CL's footsteps fade away and checked the watch at half a mile to see 6:40 pace :eek:, started to ease back but was still flying I even passed a good club runner on his easy pace. He was surprised to see me go by I think, so I apologised and explained I was on a tempo run :D. The mile clicked at 6:49 and then it was downhill to the start so I was putting the barkes on just to run a 6:51. 2 miles jog back and I was feeling super confident about holding 7 min/mile...session here. I felt the piriformis a little on the way back but figured it was fine at the faster pace so I should be good at MP...

Thursday I went to see Cfitz for a massage. I explained the piriformis was still giving me grief so he spent an extra 5 minutes on it after the massage and we agreed I would come back for a few specific session on it after Berlin. He reckens there are lots of Knots deep in the muscles which will need a fair bit of work...

On friday I had blagged a lift from work to the airport (was on a half day) so I left the car at home with the intention to run about 4 miles in the direction of work and then thumb a taxi. Straight away I could feel the familiar dull pain in the hip so I thumbed a taxi as I reckoned it would do me no good to keep running on it. Unfortuntely it was busy so I tried the trick a few more times all unsuccessfull. Long story short I ran the whole 7.3 miles into work including a big hill at the end and I felt like I was limp/running near the end.
    I spent the whole morning with people asking me If I had hurt myself. I am getting used to that but this time I was informed the limp was really bad. I could feel a lot of pain so I kind of already knew that :rolleyes:

Anyway I flew over and spent the rest of the evening limping. It seemed to get better towards the end of the evening, I walked a few KM with vagga to get some food and back. I figured it would be better today...

Today however it has been as bad if not worse than yesterday. I have basically been hobbling around all day with a big sharp pain seering through my hip/arse at regular intervals. It is probably the worst this injury has been... I have started taking Ibuprofen and that is my last hope of fixing this for tomorrow, but I am not overly confident to be honest. I will definitely start the race but if the pain is bad I plan to bail at km6 (near the hotel) and live to fight another day. Running 42km with this pain at any pace is not going to be a good idea (the slower the worse to be honest), so it is not a matter of finishing rather preserving myself for a plan B marathon should it go wrong.

I can only hope the Ibuprofen does it's job and/or I don't feel anything once I get running...fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Sorry to hear that Niall, your plan is sound, if it's not working bail! Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Sorry to hear you might have aggravated the injury. There might be a bit of last minute nerves playing about as well. You will know fairly quickly tomorrow, and if it does not work out for you tomorrow, there is a sub 3 waiting for you in the Spring if you keep up the momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Mind your body. This is only one race. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

$hit meno, sorry to hear, hope it clears overnight and you have the race of your life tomorrow!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement