Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeder's get 3 months

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

polyfusion wrote: »
    Bullet in the head for both them fuks as far as I'm concerned.

foam at the mouth much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Sorry lads, but do you really think the road was empty at 7:07 and 8:10 in the evening? Why do you think it was, and why do you think conditions were good?

I agree a custodial sentence is a bit harsh - I'd have crushed their cars - except the guy in the Astra -he should be locked in an asylum, 200-ish in a 9yo Astra :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

stepbar wrote: »
    Jail is pure madness for a speeding offense. I don't disagree with the driving ban or the fine.

At the same time, in theory, jail is for people who break laws. People have gone to jail for not paying for refuse collection. I'm not saying that's right, but laws were broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

nipplenuts wrote: »
    200-ish in a 9yo Astra :eek:

Not defending your man ...but 200 in a 9 year old Astra is nothing exceptional on a German motorway. The car is well able for it.
    Doesn't mean you should be doing that speed on Irish motorway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Jail for speeding is just crazy considering the number of real criminals who walk away with far less for very much more serious offences. Keep prison for the criminals. Fine/ban/points would have been sufficient, but this is Ireland so of course our priorities are back to front.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Zaidan is an unhinged nutter, IIRC he *banned* someone for overtaking on the hatched off median of the Straffan Road in Maynooth.

Which has a broken white line down both sides...

Its not just motoring offenses he's this bad on, a quick read of the Liffey Champion every week is required doing for me to see what else he's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Have his decisions been overturned on appeal?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Champion would never report that, that'd be good news. We don't even hear about local musicians/sports stars till someone bad happens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Jail is perhaps a bit OTT but it should send out a message. 200 km/h is taking the piss though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Those decisions are ridiculous; the law is supposed to apply equally to everyone and the punishment you receive shouldn't depend on the whim of the judge you happen to draw.

Driving at 200km/h on a clear motorway in a car that is designed for such speeds isn't dangerous of itself. In his judgment he seems to make the statistically-debunked assumption that speed of itself = dangerous. He states 'the worst speed I ever saw in Donegal was 175km/h'.

Firstly, the phrase 'worst speed' shows how clueless he is about the actual cause of road deaths - 100km/h on a back road is far 'worse speed' than 160km/h on a motorway, but this judge only cares about the headline number and not the surrounding cirumstances.

Secondly, 175km/h in Donegal is far more dangerous than 200km/h on the M7.

Thirdly, all the defence needs to do on appeal to the Circuit Court is to cite the numerous judgments handed down on identical facts that didn't impose anything like the same penalties.

• Advertisement

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Jail is perhaps a bit OTT but it should send out a message. 200 km/h is taking the piss though.

As said elsewhere on the thread, on the exact same or lower quality of road in Germany, 200km/h would be the normal speed you'd expect a Fiat Coupe to be doing.

However comparing 200km/h on a runway of a motorway as the M7 is at Cherryville (its the long straight between Monasterevin and Kildare Town) to 175km/h on even the best road in Zaidan's part of Donegal (the N13 towards Derry) is taking the piss. Even comparing it to the most 'speed-suitable' road in the county - the Bundoran/Ballyshannon Bypass - is taking the piss. The Donegal driving was incalculably more dangerous than the M7 driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I've driven at well over 200 kph in stretches of the autobahn which were inferior to long stretches of the M7. A custodial sentence is ridiculous.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thats pure power tripping. 3 months for that but guys who rob/rape etc get 12 months and less!!! Bloody joke.
    Yes take his license but prison! What a numpty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

MYOB wrote: »
    As said elsewhere on the thread, on the exact same or lower quality of road in Germany, 200km/h would be the normal speed you'd expect a Fiat Coupe to be doing.

What is the norm in Germany is immaterial to what it is here. Speed limits are put in place so if some idiot is caught doing 200 km/h on a road then tough ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Bet your mans bowels clenched when the sentence was read out!
    Some times it all depends on the humour of the Judge on the day

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    What is the norm in Germany is immaterial to what it is here. Speed limits are put in place so if some idiot is caught doing 200 km/h on a road then tough ****.

Doesn't change the fact that 200km/h on a dead straight motorway isn't "taking the piss" if the car is capable of it. Illegal, yes. "taking the piss" as you asserted, no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Doesn't change the fact that 200km/h on a dead straight motorway isn't "taking the piss" if the car is capable of it. Illegal, yes. "taking the piss" as you asserted, no.
    If the cars around you are only doing a max speed of 120 then it is most certainly taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

While 200km is very quick and cant be condoned neither can alot of things that have gone on in this country over the last couple of years and I dont see many **** bankers going to jail. He should have just said his name was Bertie , that on mature recolection he doesnt remember driving the car at that speed and claim to have a long established drink problem....( in this instance he would have had to have driven up the wrong side of the same stretch of road fro this story to fit RE: http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0427/mcdaidj.html ) My arse they should go to jail when scumbags with a 100 convictions for everything from robbery to assault are walking the streets because they come from deprived broken homes. If you think these people should go to prison then maybe you should move to some communist nut zone now, you'd feel right at home there. If they killed someone they should go to prison but all they did was break the speed limit. You'll kill a child at 60 kmh in a 50 kmh zone. Now which of the above do gooders have never broken that limit ?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

That judge is known for his tough sentencing. The truth is that the jail will be full and everyone will be out later that day as it will not be viewed by the prison governer as a serious enough crime considering the crap he sees every other day. That is the reality of Irish prison system.

Back on topic.

200kmph on any road is madness. It has been discussed so many times on this forum about the inferior quality of many drivers on Irish roads. Even if the defendants were formula 1 drivers with the utmost skill and control, capable of 200kmph driving ferraris, it still will not help either them or the car they hit, when some clown just changes lane for no apparent reason (as they do) or to slow them down (idiots policing the road themselves).

120kmph limit is there for a reason. It is what our roads are designed for. It accounts for road surface quality, heavy water on road (common), safe viewing distance which is dictated by the rate at which the road bends (how far can you see at 120 on some bends between portlaoise and kildare as am example - bends feel tighter than either side of that section).

I also beleive it is also there as a safeguard against other crap drivers. That one is there unintentionaly though.

If we set a higher limit, all of us know it will be seen as a target. Can you imagine the carnage when you ignore road conditions and look solely at the quality of irish driving ?

After saying all that I admit to travelling at 140kmph on motorways most of the time which kind of shoots my argument down a bit. My hands will be up if I am caught on camera, I am in the wrong.

If the cars around you are only doing a max speed of 120 then it is most certainly taking the piss.

Two things wrong with your statement:

1: On that section of motorway, the average running speed is much closer to 140 than 120, so 200 is a lower % above average
    2: Funnily enough its not seen as taking the piss in countries enlightened enough to have unlimited motorways. Many people drive at 100-140 in the inner lane while getting passed by drivers doing far in excess of 200 on autobahns.

The only taking the piss here is the custodial sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Damien360 wrote: »
    After saying all that I admit to travelling at 140kmph on motorways most of the time which kind of shoots my argument down a bit. My hands will be up if I am caught on camera, I am in the wrong.

So what you're saying is you really deserve 3 months in prison too.... ;):p

It is what our roads are designed for.

Except its not. The minimum design speed of a "120km/h" Irish motorway is 100mph or 160km/h depending on age. Sections with lower limits don't always meet this design spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

Saab Ed wrote: »
    So what you're saying is you really deserve 3 months in prison too.... ;):p

Should have seen that coming. I will take the points, bitch and moan, and still take the points.

Anyone know if there is any truth to the old tale that driving at 160kmph or over on a motorway is trip to the courts and possible loss of license instead of points. Or is that urban myth.

Anyone know if there is any truth to the old tale that driving at 160kmph or over on a motorway is trip to the courts and possible loss of license instead of points. Or is that urban myth.

Urban myth - its the UK law, sort of. There are boardsies who got FPNs for >160km/h for instance. Guidlines in the UK are that you get a court summons for 96mph, and many people seem to assume UK law applies here at times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

In these cases they charged them with dangerous driving which is an automatic ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

I wonder if sentences like this won't act as a perverse incentive to try and make a break for it.. seriously.

Blue lights in the mirror, 200 on the speedo and the potential of a custodial sentence.... somebody gets desperate, and somebody might give it a go and just floor it.

Already going to prison, why not take the risk?

Logically, of course, all you'd earn would be an extended sentence and piss the chasing Garda off... but it'd be hard to think logically with your freedom on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

A note to those who think doing 200 is not dangerous.

Try getting a puncture (i.e. instant blowout) at that speed.

What happens then?

Having had similar happen to me at half that speed - It is very very dangerous.

Don't tempt fate!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

dewsbury wrote: »
    A note to those who think doing 200 is not dangerous.

Try getting a puncture (i.e. instant blowout) at that speed.

What happens then?

Having had similar happen to me at half that speed - It is very very dangerous.

Don't tempt fate!

I'd like to see the average driver dealing with a blowout at 120-140km/h either. Without fast reactions and knowing what to do most cars will end up in the side walls and at that speed the repercussions will be almost the same.

The fact is given the amount of time people get off going to jail for 30th shop lifting offences in this country, sending someone to jail for 200km/h is unjustly harsh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Two things wrong with your statement:

1: On that section of motorway, the average running speed is much closer to 140 than 120, so 200 is a lower % above average
    2: Funnily enough its not seen as taking the piss in countries enlightened enough to have unlimited motorways. Many people drive at 100-140 in the inner lane while getting passed by drivers doing far in excess of 200 on autobahns.

The only taking the piss here is the custodial sentence.

1. Oh, well then! :rolleyes:
    2. The autobahn has a recommended max speed of 130km/h, the left lanes are only to be used for overtaking, plus Germany has a higher standard of driving. Couple that with the fact that drivers are well aware someone could be approaching from behind at such speed then it's no surprise that it's perfectly safe. However, we live in Ireland, a country of clueless idiots who perform stupid maneuvers on a daily basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

It seems he just throws out fines and sentences what ever way he feels. I pity anyone ending up in front of him.
    Have the crime rates/speeding offences dropped in Kildare since he took up post as Judge in Naas and Kildare District Courts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement