Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The postman in all his wisdom dropped in Super Mario Bros. 2j and Nintendo World Chamionship 1990 today for the NES. Delighted. The boys at retro USB are doing themselves proud. Both gorgeous colourful carts. The powerpak is truly a gorgeous piece of kit aswell. Recommend it to anyone with a NES. They do one for SNES aswell as far as I know.

I hear a lot of these places are getting into major trouble for distributing patched games using a fan translation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I hear a lot of these places are getting into major trouble for distributing patched games using a fan translation.

Yeah I hear that too, the like of the fan translated sweet home for the nes and mother games.

Lots of companys, especially nintendo are bastards when it comes to that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's actually the fan translators they are getting sued by because they are profitting off of their copyrighted work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah that what i assumed, cant really blame them, I'd say some of the more main stream places selling repros are paying some kind of royality or somthing, mabye not though

None of them are paying royalties.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The powerpak is truly a gorgeous piece of kit aswell. Recommend it to anyone with a NES.

+1.
    Just got mine this morning. It's pretty cool alright. Also used it to try out SMB vs airman and silhouette enigmario bros, bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Alter Egotist

Andrew76 wrote: »
    +1.
    Just got mine this morning. It's pretty cool alright. Also used it to try out SMB vs airman and silhouette enigmario bros, bit of fun.

ya SMB vs Airman is good. I have somario, super mario world and all smb 1-10 working now with a bit of tweaking. cant get the straight vs games to work though, id say they need the dip switches.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's a bit like George Lucas, he doesn't mind people making fan edits, fan fiction or whatever using his IP as long as it's not offensive, and as long as it's distributed free, but if you try to charge, that is profit by it, then the hammer comes down and that's that.
    It's only fair really.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

th_e3ce9c08.jpg
    yay! finally got around to getting R-type , and another us gold game for the collection , and rastan!.
    Got them off a dude(cauterize) from the retrogamer mag forum who's selling off whats left from his online shop. Worked out at about 11 euro for the 3 which wasnt a bargain but not that bad, in fairness though 8 quid of that was shipping (and based on the stamps it really was shipping , not profit) the games themselves worked out at about 2 quid .BTW He's a nice google doc spreadsheet of the stuff he's selling which is definitely something I'm thinking of setting up for my "swapsies"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, went into GS in the Pav with my 30 euro voucher burning a hole in my pocket.
    I had a chat with the manager and he sorted me out.
    Bought the Tekken 6/Hori Wireless Fight Stick Pack for only 40, then traded in Tekken 6 out of the box and got a new SSFIV for 5 with one of the deals.
    Just tried it out and it's great!
    Of course, I still suck at the game but now, at least, I have no excuses not to get better.

Seems like a lot of uber geeks with opinions on the stick, even before it was released, figuring there'd be delay, Hori parts being less than the best and so on.

For me, it'd be like a noob golfer going out and buying the most expensive clubs in the shop, it isn't going to make you any better if you suck, I'd say the sort of improvements wrought by expensive sticks is only noticeable at competition level, not a place I'll be any time... ever!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    For me, it'd be like a noob golfer going out and buying the most expensive clubs in the shop, it isn't going to make you any better if you suck, I'd say the sort of improvements wrought by expensive sticks is only noticeable at competition level, not a place I'll be any time... ever!

Well not in this case. SSF4 is unplayable with a 360 or PS3 pad. There's a few players that are exceptionally good that use a pad at the fighting game meet ups but I'd say they would be even better if they switched to a stick.
    Also found the game unplayable with the 6 button pad. You are better off with a stick and now you can play all those mame games with an arcade stick.

Funnily enough at competition level they wouldn't let you use that stick since it's wireless. They are banned because of all the trouble setting up wireless controllers are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Well not in this case. SSF4 is unplayable with a 360 or PS3 pad. There's a few players that are exceptionally good that use a pad at the fighting game meet ups but I'd say they would be even better if they switched to a stick.
    Also found the game unplayable with the 6 button pad. You are better off with a stick and now you can play all those mame games with an arcade stick.

Thats not entirley true the PS pad is pretty good for street fighter and the Xbox pad is ok.
    Some of the best players in Ireland use either PS or Xbox pads so it's down to preference really.

How can I use the Xbox 360 wireless fighting stick with Mame?
    Do I have to use it with my bluetooth dongle and the PC?
    Is this easy to set up?

If so, I can see a spare fighting stick being used in conjunction with the Ikea cocktail cab project, the positioning of the controller is always a problem, but if you can just slip it out of the drawer, it's perfect!

Think there's some wireless dongle you can use.
    pdbhp wrote: »
    Thats not entirley true the PS pad is pretty good for street fighter and the Xbox pad is ok.
    Some of the best players in Ireland use either PS or Xbox pads so it's down to preference really.

Well all I can remember is going from arcade sticks, MS sidewinders and saturn pads to the PS1 pad in my older days and finding the game totally unplayable with the PS pad. I know some of our best players are pad players but think they would be so much better if they switched to stick. PS pad at the moment is the best of a very bad bunch for fighting games. You can condition yourself to be good at it, I had to when I had no choice, but it will let you down every so often. SF4 is extremely lenient with inputs and has shortcuts. Get these pad players to play SSF2T or 3rd strike and they would have major trouble.

Well, I have a bluetooth dongle, I'll see if the lappy detects the stick, there is probably a driver out there, then the MAME test.
    This could be really interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nobody should ever play a fighting game with a pad. Those who do are doing themselves a massive disservice. As retr0 said, if they're good with a pad then they'll be far better with a stick. It just lends itself to that type of game so much more than a pad.

It's the same with shooters really. You can get much faster/accurate commands in with a stick. Plus you don't end up with arthritic thumbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Well not in this case. SSF4 is unplayable with a 360 or PS3 pad.

For you maybe it is. A stick is definitely the preffered method, but in no way is a pad 'unplayable'. I managed to clear the game on the hardest setting, no continues, on the 360 pad...took me a while but it's certainly playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I actally like the PS pad for fighting games, I'm still better with it than a stick. Probably from playing SFAlpha3 religiously on PS1.

The Xbox pad though, what an abomination. Anything that requires the d-pad is impossible and the stick just hates fighting games.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The ps1 D pad is an absolute abomination. I know a lot of people got very used to it as it was huge here (Including myself)...but it was still an abomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Another Gamestop pick-up;

Capcom Fighting Jam
    Killer 7
    Megaman X7
    €11

There was also a copy of Shadow of the Colossus in very good nic on the shelf if anyone is on the hunt fot it (Gamestop Clarehall).

• Advertisement

Nicest surprise in a console pad?
    The NeoGeo Color pad, an awesome little thumb stick, with lots of beautiful little switches inside, clickety click they go, brilliant. And this was made back in 98 yet years later, none of the consoles have really come close to it.
    Weird really.
    Worst?
    Has to be the nubbin on the PSP, that nasty little analog thingy that is dirt and muck in every way, possibly something that, together with the UMD gave people reason not to buy the thing.
    What were they thinking?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What were they thinking?

Avgn flashback! :D

But yeah, that psp analogue grip thing is horrific.

EnterNow wrote: »
    For you maybe it is. A stick is definitely the preffered method, but in no way is a pad 'unplayable'. I managed to clear the game on the hardest setting, no continues, on the 360 pad...took me a while but it's certainly playable.

It's useable for SF4 but for any other fighting game without it's lenient inputs and shortcuts it really is unplayable on a PS or 360 pad. Just try Garou or 3rd Strike, you'll have a horrible time. A saturn pad or MS sidewinder however are perfect pads for it even though I prefer a stick. As for beating the single player on hardest with no continues, well beating the AI is completely different from taking on a good player.

If you are having trouble with the stick my advice is to practice. It takes a month to get used to it and by that time you'll never go back.

Well not in this case. SSF4 is unplayable with a 360 or PS3 pad.
    It's useable for SF4

So which is it? :p:p

Agreed though re the Saturn pad, those things are beautiful for fighting games.

If you are having trouble with the stick my advice is to practice. It takes a month to get used to it and by that time you'll never go back.

Agreed, I had never played SF4 with a stick until the beers at Ciders. Couldn't get used to it at all, but by the end I was starting to warm to it & found it enjoyable to use.

It's hard to get used to them because of the square gates they have are different from a d-pad were left right, up and down are defined by resistances. You can get octo gates for some seimetsu sticks but a lot of people prefer the square gate although I think it's more a personal preference because once you start to use the stick properly you shouldn't be pressing into the resistences at all. You have to learn were they are on square gates which takes some practice. Also not having 6 face buttons is a massive disadvantage because in SF you need access to all 6 buttons because each one is vital to doing well in a match against a good opponent. With the saturn and sidewinder pads you can place your fingers over the buttons like you would on an arcade stick but it's just not possible with 4 face buttons and shoulder buttons.

There's plenty of posts by me on the fighting game forum from when I first got my stick complaining that I'm having trouble with ultra moves and even normal moves but once I got used to it I just now refuse to play on anything that isn't an arcade stick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Agreed, I had never played SF4 with a stick until the beers at Ciders. Couldn't get used to it at all, but by the end I was starting to warm to it & found it enjoyable to use.

Lol at the modesty. Ya hammered everyone that night. :pac:

Well all I can remember is going from arcade sticks, MS sidewinders and saturn pads to the PS1 pad in my older days and finding the game totally unplayable with the PS pad. I know some of our best players are pad players but think they would be so much better if they switched to stick. PS pad at the moment is the best of a very bad bunch for fighting games. You can condition yourself to be good at it, I had to when I had no choice, but it will let you down every so often. SF4 is extremely lenient with inputs and has shortcuts. Get these pad players to play SSF2T or 3rd strike and they would have major trouble.

Well thats all well and good but having played street fighter with every concievable pad / stick I personally don't se much of a difference and I find some of the ultra moves in SSF4 easier to do on an XBOX pad (strange I know). Further to comment about SSF2T & 3rd Strike I find it even easier to do the moves in those games because of the lack of shortcuts which I find take from the game.
    Even in the 90's when SF first arrived on console on SNES I revelled in the pad I just thought it gave more precise control while the stick required more effort.
    That said this is my personel opinion on the subject and every SF player has differing ideas.
    But even though I've been arguing the toss I'd still say the Stick edges it slightly:D

Going to have to buy a Wireless Dongle thingy for this to work, on ebay for 11 delivered, so I go with that, then, come the new year and I'm a tad mroe flush, I can build my little Ikea cab and have some really nice controls to boot!
    Happy days...

• Advertisement

You warmed to it... yea you owned with it that night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement