Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sonic on the GBA is a damn sight better than Sonic on the DC, Sonic on the PS2, Sonic on the Xbox, Sonic on the Wii, the list goes on.

Don't mind him, the Sonic series on the GBA was great fun, including the sequel on the DS.
    So it's not Sonic 2, so what?
    At least the tried to create a non-gimmick 2D Sonic title, and did so with aplomb imho.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Not games really, but this week i got a new 72pin for a nes, a screwdriver bit to open up and clean my nes carts and 8 Nintendo nes dust covers for games. I only need 4 so i will prob be sticking the other 4 up on adverts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sonic on the GBA is a damn sight better than Sonic on the DC, Sonic on the PS2, Sonic on the Xbox, Sonic on the Wii, the list goes on.

Don't mind him, the Sonic series on the GBA was great fun, including the sequel on the DS.
    So it's not Sonic 2, so what?
    At least the tried to create a non-gimmick 2D Sonic title, and did so with aplomb imho.

Well it can't be much worse than the 3D games tbh.

They did make a non-gimmick 2D sonic game but the level design was so bland it all blurred into one (can you tell me off the top of your head what the theme of the other zones after the initial green hill zone were?) and unsignposted instant death pits is bad level design no matter what way you look at it. the Sonic Advance games get better from the first to the third with the third being fun but nothing special. The first Sonic Advance though was mediocrity game-ified. It was basically a testing ground for the developer Dimps before they managed to get the formula working for Sonic Rush and Sonic 4 even though they still have some issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

aplomb.

plum_early_rimer_mine_small.jpg

?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My intricate vocab is wasted upon you philistines!

And as for the level names, well, I think thats common with all the 2D sonic games, where, after the first one they just kinda repeated the themes, so you have the one like the pinball/fairground, the green/emerald hill one, the one with bits of greek temple and varying water levels, the one on Eggmans factory/ship/fortress of doom and so on.

Sonic 4 is like sh1te flavoured water after crossing the desert, you'll try it, but only because it's been ages since you tried a previous one.

I enjoyed the Neo Geo Pocket Color edition, and no, I can't name any of the levels in that either, although I'll wager the first one has a green theme and there's a pinball-like level in there somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well there's not even a pinball like level in sonic advance. I can remember all the destinct level themes from Sonic 1 through to Sonic and Knuckles and even have the entire levels ingrained in my memory because they all stand out as great and varied level design. Sonic Advance came at a time when we were starved of a good Sonic game and let alone a good 2D one. I think Sonic fans jump on it and say it's good because it was the only remotely playable Sonic series of games they had for a very long time and would have accepted anything. But here's the harsh truth. The Sonic Advance games were bland, uneventful and nothing special but playable and not entirely without fun moments. The GBA had far better titles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Funnily enough, I only played Sonic Advance for the first time during the week and quite enjoyed it. The physics and platforming actually felt like a Sonic game! Played Klonoa for only a few minutes but it felt like a cheap hand held tie in. Is it really worth playing?

Did you play far into Sonic Advance? The first zone is well made but it gets much worse and by the halfway point I was sick of it because instead of upping the difficulty they just put more and more blind pitfalls into the level design.

Thought the GBA Klonoa games were good but not a patch on Klonoa 1 and 2.

Master of the Universe

It was a brief enough play on the Luas going home from work. Think I went through a few levels. Not sure to be honest, just remember thinking it was better than all that Sonic Rush etc speed run riddled ****e.

Then skipped to the final zone and had a real big 'wtf' moment when the first two bosses were directly from Sonic 1&2

I liked Sonic Rush even if it didn't play anything like a real Sonic game. Think it might have been the awesome music that made me think that though. The Advance games get more like Sonic Rush from 1-3. If you play more of Sonic Advance you'll see that once the psychic pitfalls appear the level design goes down the jacks.

• Advertisement

Klonoa is an excellent platforming series.
    But it was always underappreciated by the great unwashed.
    I remember working in Gamesworld when the original PS title came out, it was totally undersold, inspite of being a great game, the Wii title is really a remake of the PS title.
    But that only underscores how great the game was the first time.
    I had it in my collection back in my first blossoming as a PS owner, long since traded in, to my eternal shame.

I see there are tons of copies of Klonoa for the Wii on ebay.nl, as well as the german and austrian sites.
    They are for around 16 euro plus 3 postage.
    Not bad.
    Most of the Euro releases have inbuilt english I think, not sure.
    Must check before buying.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Most of the Euro releases have inbuilt english I think, not sure.
    Must check before buying.

I think they do alright. I got my Wii version recently from ebay France and game and manual is in English. Those prices seem very good too.

Master of the Universe

Ebay France here too. From what I can remember everything package wise is in English. Haven't tested the game out yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭CDH

Found an N64 in a second hand shop in galway today. Got 10 games with it:
    majoras mask
    jet force jemini
    goldeneye
    rogue squadron
    banjo kazooie
    rayman 2
    extreme g
    turok
    pokemon stadium 2

Can't remember the other game but they also had a megadrive, so i'm hoping i'll have the money for that next week. But i'm happy to get my retro collection started. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Wow, great find. I never see consoles in charity shops, and I spend way too much time in them.

Just bought this lot on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110601598950&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

2 mega drives, 2 arcade sticks, 4 pads, Sonic, Paperboy, James Pond and some more games... I didn't even ask what the others are, just went for it :P

One of the sticks is broken apparently, are they easy to fix?

Oh and I might just try the 60 hz mod on one of these, but it'll be my first console mod. Is it hard? I'm handy enough with soldering but only from wiring up a guitar, which is really really simple. Really.

And finally.. link to an rgb scart cable for it anyone? :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Easy enough to do

Also the one on the left with the larger "16-BIT" logo is a Japanese or Asian Megadrive

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

just won this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170555981730&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

fifa super nintento box, dont see that many of them around, just need a couple of the street fighter boxes now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

This might be handy for some of you who are planning on doing some soldering.

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20101028.p.Magnifying_Glass_with_Light

Decent weight in the bottom of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I bought this today, not bad for a fiver

Stoner wrote: »
    just won this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170555981730&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

fifa super nintento box, dont see that many of them around, just need a couple of the street fighter boxes now.

That new shop in town has the street fighter II box, think its €50.

Won the turbo box myself - http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150509247363&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

It's amazing the difference a decent box makes. The one it came with had the front plastic bit torn off and looked like it was chewed by a dog. Worst case I've ever seen. How the inlay is still so nice I'll never know - does explain why it was so cheap though :pac:

Should have taken a before picture. Ah well. Here it is with a case that previously had Toy Story in it. Sorry Woody and Buzz, this game is miles more important.

gunstarheroes.jpg

And Turtles in Time. Very happy to get this for so cheap, it's a hard enough game to find -

Turtlesintime.jpg

Finally, seeing as I had the camera out, got another Tesco crate. This time for my Neo Geo games!

neogeogames.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

That new shop in town has the street fighter II box, think its €50.

Won the turbo box myself - http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150509247363&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

new shop in town ! fill me in please.

I was looking at that turbo 2 box too, I think I might have bid on it, I have the game and the manual, thats a nice set well done.

I've won 11 things since Friday, this always happens to me, I bid for weeks and get nothing, so I go mad and win everything. I'd don't know how I'm going to get it all back from London. I've now have 4 boxed gamecubes under my desk in work that I have to get back to hide in my attic before my wife sees them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's amazing the difference a decent box makes. The one it came with had the front plastic bit torn off and looked like it was chewed by a dog. Worst case I've ever seen. How the inlay is still so nice I'll never know - does explain why it was so cheap though :pac:

Should have taken a before picture. Ah well. Here it is with a case that previously had Toy Story in it. Sorry Woody and Buzz, this game is miles more important.

gunstarheroes.jpg

You know that the blue label games boxes are different to the grid style ones.

The grid ones have the claw things for holding the carts and the blue label ones have the slidy thing. Christ I guess I really am bad when I replace each box for the exact same box.

Really need to pick that up myself aswell. Seeing how I destroyed a 2000 euro mac last night at a session I dont think i'll be posting in this thread for a little while :pac:

Stoner wrote: »
    new shop in town ! fill me in please.

It's where road records used to be, on Fade st. just off Georges st.

They have a facebook if you want more details: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001630740978&v=wall

whats the game selection in there like?

Pretty good for Mega Drive and a smaller amount of NES, SNES and N64 games, but mostly good stuff. Few of us were talking about it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055376318&page=734 and general consensus seems to be quality but not quantity. The guy I spoke to said he'd get more stuff in though, so it could end up being a lot better.

Master of the Universe

You know that the blue label games boxes are different to the grid style ones.

The grid ones have the claw things for holding the carts and the blue label ones have the slidy thing. Christ I guess I really am bad when I replace each box for the exact same box.

Really need to pick that up myself aswell. Seeing how I destroyed a 2000 euro mac last night at a session I dont think i'll be posting in this thread for a little while :pac:

I can't figure out that Slidy/claw thing. I'm not sure if all blue boxes have the slidy ones? I have lots and lots of blue box games and cant say I've ever noticed. They're much nicer than the claw ones though, don't damage the booklets.

I put this one in a slidy case as all my Treasure MD games were in them. Originally I thought it was by publisher, but I think all the later Treasure games I have are blue boxes.

Will have to look into that! If it's 100% that the grids are in claws and the blue in slidey then I'm going to have to change it. Little things like that bug me too.

So its official both have troubled minds!

Yeah the slidy ones are just buttery and I'm almost sure the blue label ones were slidy but I'm only basing that on my own games

Master of the Universe

90% of my games are in their original cases. I'll have a quick check now!

Edit/ - unfortunately it's not as you thought. Out of four blue boarder carts I opened -

Radical Rex - Claw
    Two copies of Virtua Racing - both claw
    Mega Bomberman - slidey

So there's no definite way of knowing short of seeing inside an original copy of the game.

• Advertisement

Ah right, well its not a big deal, good to know all the same

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement