Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Saturn SCART cable finally arrived, hopefully this will clean up the picture a bit.

Would you mind me asking how much you paid and where? I'm looking at getting an RGB one for my (PAL) Saturn and the prices on 'em are steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

a5y wrote: »
    Would you mind me asking how much you paid and where? I'm looking at getting an RGB one for my (PAL) Saturn and the prices on 'em are steep.

Got it on Ebay from a private seller, cost €16 including shipping and there was a fair few bids on it.
    The 10 pin DIN plug are next to impossible to get so a home made cable wasn't an option. Well worth getting one though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Could one not just use an existing scart cable and, with a little soldering here and crimping there, make a RGB cable out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    A bag of crisps job was it?

Also a pack of chewing gum...:p

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Could one not just use an existing scart cable and, with a little soldering here and crimping there, make a RGB cable out of it?

Yep sure could but I was tried to avoid the pikey look :D

Here's the pinout, problem was in finding a suitable connector. You could hack up the RF cable connector I guess.

satpin.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No one will condemn you for destroying an RF cable, not even a Sega one!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Very happy with Alleyway game as the box is in perfect condition and got it for nothing, well next to nothing.

Fatal Fury is sh!te!

Some great games in there and I know a certain Mod will totally agree.

No one will condemn you for destroying an RF cable, not even a Sega one!

Had a quick look at the RF cable, only composite and stereo audio are pinned out. Still better the RF anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The ebay spending splurge continues...

Super Aleste & Super SWIV. Both great shmups :cool: The Aleste cart has label damage which I knew of, hence the cheap price...very cheap price actually.

2po8tir.jpg

And one to really fugg Retr0 off.

Ever so slight label wear at the bottom, but again, due to my Doom interest combined with the price I couldn't say no. It's absolute rubbish, but still, it's Doom. I think it was €7/€8 so for nothing really. Combined shipping to the rescue

1z14d37.jpg

All carts need a serious cleaning :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Got these the last day or two, got the two boxed ones that are damaged off Full_TiltKeith, originally they look like the front is ripped off, but its actually the front of another box, time lord, stuck to this one, so it seems to come off in pieces so i might be able to peel most of it off and be left with only a slightly damaged box. the back of lolo is the same, will probably peel off too though.

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Full_TiltKeith

I again apologize about the state of Lolo and gremlins, I'm a discredit to the retro forum!

haha your grand, it actually looks like the time lord box might peel off them anyways, ill let herself go at them, shes expert at cleaning stuff up!

I again apologize about the state of Lolo and gremlins, I'm a discredit to the retro forum!

What the flip did Gremlins ever do to you???
    This is the problem with dumb ass cardboard Ninty game boxes, no staying power.
    But then, they made it all better with the japanese Gamecube boxes, forget the Vita's line in cool casings, the 'Cube had it going on years ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I'd still sniff them. :pac:

In other news, I've got some new stuff on the way. Most recently I've acquired a region-modified Taito F3 motherboard and a nice copy of Gekirindan to play on it.

Should be here some time next week.

For those that are unsure what Gekirindan is, it was one of (or if memory serves correctly) the LAST real Toaplan game. It was released by Taito but developed by Toaplan staff.

Excellent shooting game. Cannot wait to get my grubby paws on it and add it to my shooting games collection!

What the flip did Gremlins ever do to you???
    This is the problem with dumb ass cardboard Ninty game boxes, no staying power.

I love the NES boxes above all others. Im a couple of games off 100 boxed NES games now. if you count that gremlins as a box ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

keithgeo wrote: »
    I love the NES boxes above all others. Im a couple of games off 100 boxed NES games now. if you count that gremlins as a box ;)

I just cant bring myself to start collecting anything that comes in a cardboard box. I don't know why, it just doesn't feel right for some reason.

Im actually glad you dont collect NES games, there would be none left on the internetz for the rest us ;)

Im actually glad you dont collect NES games, there would be none left on the internetz for the rest us ;)

:rolleyes:

Steve SI wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

yeh ok that was pathetic, I often think though when im bidding on stuff on ebay are any of you guys bidding on it aswell, especially the stuff that pops up in ireland.

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    Ehhh, I'm familiar with it :)

Are you familiar with this? :pac:

http://dariusalpha.tumblr.com/

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Are you familiar with this? :pac:

http://dariusalpha.tumblr.com/

I've actually come across that before on a Darius Alpha search :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Full_TiltKeith

You got 2.1 cases there, I can clearly see time lord......:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pyongyang wrote: »
    For those that are unsure what Gekirindan is, it was one of (or if memory serves correctly) the LAST real Toaplan game. It was released by Taito but developed by Toaplan staff.

I would have thought Batsugun would have been the last Toaplan game considering it was the very first bullet hell game and served as the template for following games when they former Cave and other companies.

I played Gekirindan on the saturn, wasn't too impressed.

Well, my sudden onset, middle aged, Shump addiction has just bagged a bit of a bargain.
    Just got an admittedly unboxed copy of Fire Shark for the MD on ebay for the princely sum of £6.74, and that's including postage.
    Happy days!

I was really wanting this one and while it's not that hard to find about the place online this is less than half of what it typically is going for.

And, it's a nice game too, very Raiden at it's root, you can see where Raiden got some of it's DNA, from 80's shooters like this.

There is a predecessor called Sky Shark or Flying Shark, I remember having a lot of fun with it on the Spectrum and it's also on the Nes, though I prefer the look of the Speccy edition, yes the mono graphics are a shame but they are more faithful to the original, as is the pacing...

Nes version of Flying Shark

Speccy version of the same game

Collected Tempest 2000 for the Jaguar this morning, hope this one is some way decent.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I would have thought Batsugun would have been the last Toaplan game considering it was the very first bullet hell game and served as the template for following games when they former Cave and other companies.

I played Gekirindan on the saturn, wasn't too impressed.

I think I may have muddled my point about the Toaplan part. Gekirindan was co-devloped by Toaplan and Taito but is oft-touted as the last true Toaplan title even though it wasn't published by them. It was developed by Toaplan staff but had Taito finishing touches added to it. Most notably a Zuntata soundtrack. :)

The Saturn version is a bit average I hear, but then it's not a complete port. A lot of the game was revised, simplified or just removed in comparison to the arcade edition.

Not a world-beating SHMUP by any means, but the arcade version is a beauty and the game and F3 board opens the door to Darius Gaiden. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Arrived yesterday.....Came with Blazing Laser......

2012-03-15190532.jpg

2012-03-15190430.jpg

2012-03-15190446.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

was thinking of getting one of them off consolegoods, let us know is it worth it :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement