Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Steve SI wrote: »
    It's a beast of a thing. Screen is rubbish on it as its very early lcd/stn black and white type.
    Still runs as of a few months ago.

I'v an Amstrad PPC 640; it's solid as a rock but as you said the screens on them are rubbish. A color IBM XT monitor is sound though (I'v yet to get one).
    What I love about the Amstrad I bought is that it came with not only the original receipt, but also the service papers - it was last serviced on the 26th Feb 1988 and the original owner who I met up with (his name was Jack) had his name written on the receipt as well as how much he paid which was £68 IIRC. I'll upload a picture of it tomorrow. Comes with a modem too, pretty cool for back then. I think Ireland could do with a computer museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I'v an Amstrad PPC 640; it's solid as a rock but as you said the screens on them are rubbish. A color IBM XT monitor is sound though (I'v yet to get one).
    What I love about the Amstrad I bought is that it came with not only the original receipt, but also the service papers - it was last serviced on the 26th Feb 1988 and the original owner who I met up with (his name was Jack) had his name written on the receipt as well as how much he paid which was £68 IIRC. I'll upload a picture of it tomorrow. Comes with a modem too, pretty cool for back then. I think Ireland could do with a computer museum.

Well it only takes a few people with an idea, the hardware and a bit of space to do something like that.

I've been thinking along those lines for a long time(I was thinking computer,console and other old tech). You could have some permanent display items and them maybe some rarer items that are on loan from the owners(an arcade machine or two would be nice). Think about if 10 or so people went in together from the forums here, we'd have enough hardware to fill up a room or two or 20.
    Probably no money to be made in it but it sure would be fun.

On another note, the cleaning begins:

DSC_0892b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

waveform wrote: »

All from the absolute gentlemen that is Ian @ Retro Computer Shack.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Retro-Computer-Shack

Gave me a nice discount too!

How did you manage to swing that discount? I'm thinking of picking up a few things from him myself..

Well it only takes a few people with an idea, the hardware and a bit of space to do something like that.

I've been thinking along those lines for a long time(I was thinking computer,console and other old tech). You could have some permanent display items and them maybe some rarer items that are on loan from the owners(an arcade machine or two would be nice). Think about if 10 or so people went in together from the forums here, we'd have enough hardware to fill up a room or two or 20.
    Probably no money to be made in it but it sure would be fun.
    Yeah I'd say it's very do-able. Not to mention there would be (or at least you'de hope...) donations of old tech too. I can't imagine a fortune to it but I guess if it was set up as a charity, then it could be self funded by visits from schools etc?

I can't think of anything in Ireland like it ATM
    Edit:
    Is that Jif (or Cif??) on that case?

Yeah I'd say it's very do-able. Not to mention there would be (or at least you'de hope...) donations of old tech too. I can't imagine a fortune to it but I guess if it was set up as a charity, then it could be self funded by visits from schools etc?

I can't think of anything in Ireland like it ATM
    Edit:

I've had some dealings with setting up charities and working with them. It's not that hard once you know what your at and who to talk to.

Maybe we could organise something as a one off event, say a week or month long opening like you see in with the bodies exhibit or that gamer thing that was here last year and see how it goes?

As for the cleaning, yeah its a combination of Cif(or Jif if we're been retro and all)and some other chems I use for cleaning that type of plastic.
    I have different chem cocktails for various jobs, but this one is 90 percent Cif.

• Advertisement

Maybe we could organise something as a one off event, say a week or month long opening like you see in with the bodies exhibit or that gamer thing that was here last year and see how it goes?
    Can't see why not! I could get us a venue easily enough (and probably free) if needed. I guess this would be over the summer?

Summer or even a bit later to leave time to organise everything.

I suppose Dublin City is the logical choice location wise as its handy for most people to get to and probably where you would expect such a place to be. But not everyone is going to agree with that statement I'm sure.
    Your in Limerick aren't you?

I'm all over the place :P
    Where it is on isn't a problem with me but yes I'm in Limerick 90% of the time

Can't see why not! I could get us a venue easily enough (and probably free) if needed. I guess this would be over the summer?

Summer or even a bit later to leave time to organise everything.

I suppose Dublin City is the logical choice location wise as its handy for most people to get to and probably where you would expect such a place to be. But not everyone is going to agree with that statement I'm sure.
    Your in Limerick aren't you?

how the hell did that just happen o_0

how the hell did that just happen o_0

Time vortex????

• Advertisement

Time vortex????

Yeah something fairly odd there anyway.
    I'd say its worthwhile doing it. Could also consider retro fairs too.

Yeah something fairly odd there anyway.
    I'd say its worthwhile doing it. Could also consider retro fairs too.

Yeah, I reckon we create a new thread and see if anyone else on the forum wants to get involved.
    We have peeps here from all different areas of business and life that could really help out.

Do you want to do the honors? I'm not very good at this forum thing

Do you want to do the honors? I'm not very good at this forum thing
    I don't mind.
    I'll do up a short thread a little later as I have to clean this C64 before it melts. Unless I see you've done one up in the mean time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Lovely systems you keep getting Dale Parish. Are any of your contacts able to get X68000 XVI or FM Towns systems?

I'm after both but can't justify the shipping. UK based would be best.

I don't have any contacts, I just see the listings on the net' :P
    I wasn't looking for those specifically, but I will look for them now and link you if I come across one!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I'm after both but can't justify the shipping.

The X68000 is an awesome machine.

Consider the postage now justified :D

Any idea what they're like for expiring components? Would be horrible to import one from Japan only to have the thing die when you power it on.

Master of the Universe

Ah balls, remember that time Enternow logged into boards and managed to have a Vectrex bought before he even knew what he was doing?

I decided to search X68000 on ebay as a matter of interest, they're usually interesting auctions to look over due to the expense of it all.

Then something unexpected popped up.

XE1.jpg

'Why is this coming up for the X68000, it's for the PCE..?'

noticed it was the DB9 version and therefore works with the X68000 - which also works with loads of other DB9 machines with those ports, including the Megadrive.

'MINE MINE MINE!'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Was trying to figure out if it was Jif or Jizz myself! :p

Must smell lemon fresh now.....(or like mature cheese!)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Theres times Im very glad im not a collector of anything.
    So many instances in here of just "I think ill take a look for that item thats usually too expensive.........hey heres one for slightly cheaper.....whats 1 more purchase.......Well I guess thats tesco value beans for the month now" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah balls, remember that time Enternow logged into boards and managed to have a Vectrex bought before he even knew what he was doing?

I decided to search X68000 on ebay as a matter of interest, they're usually interesting auctions to look over due to the expense of it all.

Then something unexpected popped up.

XE1.jpg

'Why is this coming up for the X68000, it's for the PCE..?'

noticed it was the DB9 version and therefore works with the X68000 - which also works with loads of other DB9 machines with those ports, including the Megadrive.

'MINE MINE MINE!'

Pyongyang is the expert but that's a different model to the PCEngine one, the XE-1 PRO HE, it's missing some buttons up top atleast.

/Edit: Sorry, you spotted is was a diff model. Probably compares favourably to other MD sticks?

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    /Edit: Sorry, you spotted is was a diff model. Probably compares favourably to other MD sticks?

I couldn't find any info on the ST2 model while googling it, but build quality wise it looks very similar to Pyong's one. (other than the missing buttons on the top)

Even if it's not up to the XE-1 PRO HE standard, it'll still be miles better than anything on the Megadrive. Plus it also has that kick ass revolving button setup :D (I think that's what won me over heh)

Edit - found a little bit about it http://www.segaretro.org/XE-1_ST2

The XE-1 ST2 is a joystick manufactured by Dempa for use with the Sega Master System. It can be seen as an "upgrade" to the XE-1 Pro. Despite its three buttons, the third does not act as a button, but instead would be and combined.

XE1ST2_JP_Flyer.jpg

Nice one! You bought it? Here's the original link Pyong posted about the Pro, doesn't directly mention the ST2 but there's a link in the comment at the bottom. Here's some lovely pics of it:

http://www.ncsx.com/2009/060809/xe-1st2_joystick.htm

Master of the Universe

Yep, couldn't resist when I saw it. Especially after Pyong rates it so highly for Shmups. The same seller has a boxed one too but it's pretty expensive.

Found another bit of info about the ST2 version. It says it has the selectable 4 and 8 way Micro switches for the stick. Brilliant!!!

XE-1ST2 Joystick for the MegaDrive which is, in our opinion, one of the best sticks for the old school systems. We've kept a few of these sticks in our private collection and we have specific models for the PC-Engine, the Famicom, and the MegaDrive.

Today's sale is for the MegaDrive version which is also compatible with the Sega Mark II, Mark III (Master System), FM-Towns, PC-8801, MSX Systems, and the Sharp X68000. The connector is the standard Genesis plug and a little switch on the top of the controller allows gamers to toggle between Sega series consoles and computers. The buttons are mounted on a circular platform which may be rotated 270° into different orientations and the joystick uses 4 or 8-way micro-switches (selectable). The joystick is also small when compared to a gargantuan piece of hardware like the Hori Real Arcade Pro 3. The XE-1ST2 measures a mere 7.80 x 5.40 x 1.5" in dimension and weighs about 2 lbs.

/Edit - ah, I got the above blurb from the same site as your link :)

Will have to break out a Megadrive for this. Currently I only have access to the Nomad. Might be a bit mad sitting in front of it with a stick.

Yep, couldn't resist when I saw it. Especially after Pyong rates it so highly for Shmups. The same seller has a boxed one too but it's pretty expensive.

Will have to break out a Megadrive for this. Currently I only have access to the Nomad. Might be a bit mad sitting in front of it with a stick.

Excellent stuff. Yeah be a bit strange using it with the Nomad. Plenty of good shmups on the MD too, well worth the purchase sir. :)

That one I was looking at still hasn't sold surprisingly enough. :rolleyes:

Master of the Universe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The Nomad should output to tv though....but the signal would probably be s-video gack.

Aye that's the chap. Think it was him Pyong did business with too, not sure. I'd be amazed if that sells though, I offered too much and glad it expired now. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

img20120229125611.th.jpg
    Hopefully not another huuuuge pic
    More tekken goodness ... ;)
    oh and I discovered that my boxes for 1 and 2 are missing ...doh!
    might sacrifice some lesser titles and do a little printing until I can either find them or replace them
    So that means on the PS side of things I just need to get tekken 3.Then the GBA and PSP games and I'm done, at least for now..;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Picked up something nice for a fiver in the charity shop today. Not really retro but you know how I likes my Japanese things!

Photo_00018-1.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement